New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2023-03-20 10:01:12

Void

Re: Optimism for Energy, accumulation of skills.

This is presented as it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX80JkuzfTE
Quote:

New breakthrough claims 90% reduction in Steelmaking emissions.

Just Have a Think

My comments are, I have at best a partial understanding of the material.

If a negative opinion wants to be expressed, then express away.

I note that this video involves the use of Carbon.  I note that Mercury has Carbon on its surface, Earth has Carbon, Venus and Mars have Carbon in their atmospheres, and going outwards there are a lot of worlds with Carbon.

Even our Moon has more Carbon than was considered true previously, but for now we might consider the Moon to be Carbon poor.

So, anything Carbon is important to the thinking of this site.

I do not regard Carbon as a "Sin".  In fact I am very in favor of Shale Oil and Shale Gas.  I do not think that the path forward is to kill the hydrocarbons and then wear hair shirts, and whip ourselves for being unworthy.  Hydrocarbons are a boost up to get to continuable, energy involved processes.

The "Greens" are in my opinion, modern day fascist slave traders.  They obviously think that there is a small number of anointed worthy people who must regulate all the other people who are to be minions.  They literally in the USA are associated with the previously more slavery tolerant party, as we might expect.  And just as their predecessors, they do not like industry, actually, as it is a power rival, they would rather trade in human flesh.

I see one thing about CO and O2 in space is that for Mars, what works may work also for Mercury, as their gravity are similar, and they both have significant Carbon.  And many Asteroids also would benefit from it.  Venus, maybe.  Callisto, probably.

My feeling is that if we get desperate, we can pull Carbon out of the atmosphere, by using OTEC similar methods, or wind or waves, or even solar to access nutrients in the low cold water of the oceans, and making it associate with sunlight and photosynthesis.

Introducing poverty to the masses, and the evil intention of the Farmers.  Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about our modern-day industrial level farmers.  I am talking about the people farmers.  Yes, abundance of agriculture allowed so called "Civilization", but it introduced many undesirable social processes which involves specialization of a ruling class which is primarily capable of language skills and violent suppression of competitors, and their dream is a population of low capability drones to be servant-slaves to carry out their intentions.

The people farmers ruin the human races capabilities, and make it stupid, and not properly conscious.

The reason to make Carbon a sin, is to allow them to suppress technology and industry.  They are religious neopaganism types, in my opinion.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2023-03-20 10:33:42)

Done.

#52 2023-03-20 10:26:58

Calliban

Void, that is very interesting.  They have found a way of reducing CO2 into CO and O2 within the furnace, using the Perovsky material as a catalyst.  Zeolite clay could potentially do this as well.  There are two problems that I can see.  Firstly, contaminants like sulphur and phosphorus could poison the catalyst.  Secondly, hot oxygen will attack iron, oxidising it to Iron(II) Oxide.  Oxygen must be removed from the system continuously to prevent the free iron from reoxidising.  I have no idea how they could do that.

Hydrogen produced by electrolysis would be relatively expensive as a reducing agent.  However, it does have the advantage that it can be produced whereever there is locally abundant energy.  The crude iron can be shipped out in large transport ships to an electric furnace in an industrial country.  But we can build a crude iron reduction furnace in the Sahara and use sea water to produce the requisite hydrogen.  Iron ore is shipped in, iron powder is shipped out.  If the facility is located close to a coast, then the logistics could be relatively simple.  Ships would dock at a jetty within an artificial lagoon.  Iron ore powder would be sucked out of the hokd and then conveyed pneumatically through pipes to our facility.  The same pipework would carry the iron powder back to the ship, using nitrogen as a propellant gas.

Last edited by Calliban (2023-03-20 10:39:32)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#53 2023-03-22 08:58:43

Void

This showed up: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technol … 8515&ei=13

The problem of recycling of course has to be solved.

I prefer the idea of vertical panels where a bit more spacing allows sunlight at times to reflect off of the water.  This then would make it more possible to use the water for recreation.  Fish should be able to function as well. The vertical solar panels would also reduce evaporation, by cooling the water with shade.  In face they would be air cooled better, I feel.  In the night it is also possible that they would help cool the water by transmission of vibration from the water into the panels and into the sky, and also the water may radiate to the sky.

If you had a non-harmful fluid, you might also even let gravitational convection move heat from the water into the panels and so use them as radiators.

An East-West facing bifacial installation is said to reduce the need for energy storage.

And if you are going to have floats for solar panels, why not have windmills as well, where it may make sense.  It is open ground where the wind should be a bit stronger.  It is then "Offshore, Onshore".

I would also not object to this being done to natural bodies of water as well.  But that is just me.  Of course, if some special species would be threatened by it, that has to be a serious factor.

You might consider the Great Salt Lake, where floats will really float.  Salt coatings on the panels would be a problem.

But by cooling the lake waters the quantity of water could expand.

Salton Sea as well, but of course that is California, and crazy people rule there.  Crazy is their problem though, not mine.  (Not that kind of crazy anyway).

Done.

Last edited by Void (2023-03-22 19:02:03)

Done.

#54 2023-03-30 10:08:30

Void

Found this stuff today:

As is often the case, I wanted a specific video, but could not get it yet on BING.
"NEW Solar Panel Produces Cheep Green Hydrogen at Home | BREAKTHROUGH!, The Futurist 15,6k"

But I got these:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=NE … M%3DHDRSC4

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?&q=N … ajaxhist=0

This stuff does not look all the way ready yet, but it seems to be starting up.

I will not vouch for it, I merely make it available for the membership to observe.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2023-03-30 10:11:09)

Done.

#55 2023-03-30 19:03:11

Void

I have to review this again, I was doing physical therapy while listening to it so did not absorb it well enough.

If I have it right Fission produces Neutrons that cause Fusion of Deuters, in a metal latus and that produces heat.

I will hope to review it tonight and perhaps alter comments or add comments.  I think Calliban may have at some point mentioned something like this.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?&q=F … ajaxhist=0

A Fusion/Fission Hybrid.  I need to learn more.  It sounds like a stimulated metal latus with Deuterium embedded can be stimulated to free up Neutrons and the Neutrons then can cause fission in low grade Fission fuels.

I am not qualified to judge the merit of it.  It sounds very good, but how would I know for sure.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2023-03-30 19:48:14)

Done.

#56 2023-04-06 19:30:05

Void

This video is very encouraging and illuminating.

"Tesla Master Plan 3-$10 a month for 10 years,Heat Pumps,Busses, No Limiting Factors...WOW!"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Te … ORM=WRVORC

Well, I need to digest that for a few days, I think.

The idea that solar will eventually replace a lot of wind is very strange and interesting.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2023-04-06 20:46:11)

Done.

#57 2023-04-07 09:39:18

Void

Another article similar to the last post: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Te … &FORM=VIRE
Quote:

Tesla Master Plan Part 3: Deep Dive
7.6K views · 10 hours ago
YouTubeSolving The Money Problem

So, if the materials of the previous post and this post are approximately similar to future realty, then beaming power down from orbit will not be an actual thing unless somehow it is changed to something very much more effective than ground solar.

Space solar, however could still be good for beam powered space propulsion.

But if the optimistic version of what is projected in the "Master Plan 3", is true, then the Moon and Mars and also small worlds likely can alsu use much of the same methods.  Of course being alien worlds they might have a somewhat different mix.

I note that they feel that for the USA, I believe, existing underground storage space is 3 times what is needed to store Hydrogen, for steel making, concrete making and such high temp processes.

I am thinking now that perhaps electric propulsion to fill high depots may be a good factor to anticipate.

For both Earth/Moon and Mars, depots in higher orbits may be assistive in launching missions.  I am thinking lasers in space to increase the energy density of propellant transports to fill the depots.

The depots could be used to fill spacecraft for interplanetary launches.

For the depot filling ships if you can get the mass down on the energy providing equipment this should provide a benefit.

As an example, and not limited to Electric Ion propulsion, lasers shining on very high temperature solar power method might work out OK to generate the needed electric power.  Similar for Mass Driver methods, perhaps expelling Oxygen.

Some people love nuclear, and so I give the case where a Nuclear powered ship could fill at a "High Depot" and then have chances for a very rapid trip, perhaps to Mars.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2023-04-07 10:25:49)

Done.

Board footer