New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#2826 2023-03-12 07:43:42

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

test: Apache Server Error was blocking post

2023/03/14 contact form

I am looking for guidance/assistance in trying to scope out a possible opportunity to capture low grade heat. I have an opportunity to provide a low temperature environment that can be customized to optimize performance of devices.  The high end heat is near boiling point of water (100 Celsius). The project would involve large numbers of devices, with output current to be delivered over a distance of 4 kilometers. I am NOT concerned at all with efficiency of the devices, and would be happy with 3%. The question of most interest is the power output of the devices. The heat source is currently going to waste, so 3% of that would be just fine.  When you reply, please put Seebeck in the title, so I can pull your email out of the flow. (th)

(th)

#2827 2023-03-12 07:49:02

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... The Apache Internal Error is back ...

I tried restarting a login and changing ID's.

The one thing I did NOT do was to try restarting the browser.

I'll try that next.

Curiously, the text above was accepted by Preview.

(th)

#2828 2023-03-12 08:08:28

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Apache Internal error ...

https://newmars.com/forums/post.php?tid=9336 << = topic id for Housekeeping appears to be 9336

This is a recreation of a post originally intended for Mars_B4_Moon but blocked by Apache Internal Error… this post attempt will come from a different computer.

Apache Internal Error blocked the post again, despite the change to a completely different computer.

(th)

#2829 2023-03-12 08:15:37

NewMarsMember

For SpaceNut re Apache Internal Error ..

I was able to deliver the NewMarsMember update as usual, even though it is a fairly substantial post.

Meanwhile the relatively small reply to Mars_B4_Moon was blocked except for very small amounts of text.

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#2830 2023-03-12 17:16:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

This web page came up in my Internet feed today .... Google must be paying attention to my interests...

$60 for a 1000 watts for 20 hours from one tank of propane sounds quite promising, at first reading...

https://www.zoraee.shop/products/1000-w … enerator-y

Here's a name brand generator for only $75 .... how is this possible?

https://www.essoners.shop/products/%F0% … -generator

(th)

#2831 2023-03-13 05:21:37

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... this post is related to an ongoing investigation with ChatGPT. 

I'm parking it here with the intention of follow up ...

ChatGPT suggested Marlow Industries for TEG devices ...

Marlow Industries - Wikipedia

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Marlow_Industries
II-VI Marlow is a division of II-VI Incorporated. Based in Dallas, Texas, II-VI Marlow designs and manufactures thermoelectric modules and systems.

Marlow Industries Inc - Company Profile and News

Bloomberg
https://www.bloomberg.com › profile › company
Marlow Industries Inc. manufactures thermoelectric coolers and subsystems for the military, aerospace, medical, high speed integrated circuits, ...
INDUSTRY: Tech Hardware & Semiconductors
SECTOR: Technology
SUB-INDUSTRY: Semiconductors
ADDRESS: 10451 Vista Park Road Dallas, TX ...

I am surprised and then not surprised to find this innovative company is located in Texas.

Update: Contact form submission:

I am working up a concept for geothermal well energy harvest using solid state devices.  The proposal is to deliver Liquid Nitrogen to the bottom of a geothermal well for use as a heat sink for TEG devices. I note that one of your devices has a lower range of -50 Celsius.  LN2 is -196 Celsius. The high temperature end is given as 100 Celsius as a planning temperature in a geothermal well.  Actual temperature may be higher or lower. The question I have is whether any of your devices can operate for extended periods in the proposed environment, and if they can, what performance might be expected?

(th)

#2832 2023-03-14 06:14:54

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re web site issues...

I got a MySQL error this morning .... the event occurred at a little after Noon UTC.

The web site appears to be back up at 14 minutes after the hour.

It just occurred to me this might have been someone resetting the server.

Update a bit later: Accuweather is forecasting a blizzard for New England .... SpaceNut, if you've been building that pile of bricks to heat your home when power is off, now is a good time to start heating them. 

(th)

#2833 2023-03-15 17:27:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have sent off a new message about what we all have been experiencing.

On another note, I am a grampa today....

#2834 2023-03-15 18:32:38

tahanson43206

Congratulations to SpaceNut re #2833 Family News!

Was this the son (and daughter-in-law) up North?

You have another son out West as I recall.

(th)

#2835 2023-03-19 06:37:03

tahanson43206

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@newmars.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

SpaceNut .... if you still have computer equipment capable of looking at the server error log, please ask Mr. Burk to give you read-only access to the server error log. The problem is continuing, and we need to find a solution.  The first step is to discover the nature of the problem as reported by Apache.

I was attempting to post a reply to a topic we have not used recently, and the reply was modest in size.

(th)

#2836 2023-03-21 07:08:41

tahanson43206

This post is for SpaceNut ....

Inspired by Calliban's most recent essay on the benefits of wood as a home heating solution, I decided to offer you an opportunity to explain why you are not going to take up his suggestion.

I can predict with high confidence that you will NOT implement Calliban's suggestion, and this topic is available for your to explain why. 

Without a doubt there are many good reasons, but since we are not in your place, we can only guess.  It would be much better if you would explain in detail the obstacles that would prevent implementation of wood as a home heating solution.

Please refer back to this post as the ** wood ** post.

(th)

#2837 2023-03-21 07:14:32

tahanson43206

This post is for SpaceNut ...

An option we've tossed out in recent times, for home heating during an emergency with power out and temperatures outside near freezing, was to assemble a collection of ordinary bricks before the emergency, and heat them up with electric resistance heaters as a thermal energy store.  Such a store could be drawn down slowly during the emergency, to keep a home comfortable or at least livable for an extended period.

I can predict with high confidence that you will NOT implement this idea.  I can predict with high confidence that ** I ** will not implement the idea.

For one thing, I don't have the space for a collection of bricks that would make a difference.  For another, even if I had the space, that would be space consumed by an emergency backup capability I'd most probably never use.

Because I have never heard or read of anyone, anywhere, implementing this idea, I think it is reasonable to predict that NO one will ever implement the idea.

I'd be interested in discussion of why such seemingly sensible ideas will never be put into practice.

(th)

#2838 2023-03-21 07:22:49

tahanson43206

This topic is for anyone ....

In recent posts, Calliban has reminded us (and forum readers) of the benefits of wood as an energy store that can be drawn upon with fairly simple equipment, such as a wood burning stove/range.  Such stoves are still available for sale on the Internet.  I assume they are pricey, because demand is low and they are well made for the well-to-do customers who buy them for cabins in remote locations.

This post is about something different ... wood can be burned for immediate production of thermal energy in the form of gases and hot coals, or it can be digested slowly with chemical processes.  I'm wondering if there is a chemical process to "digest" wood to make a hot liquid for gentle heating.

The closest I've heard of is the biological process that creates various desirable products in vats, such as cheese or beer, and I assume there may be some warmth associated with the process, but I get the impression not much energy is produced. 

As a challenge for our members, is there a way to consume wood or similar natural carbon based materials in a slow process that yields gentle warmth and releases a modest amount of CO2 along the way?

(th)

#2839 2023-03-21 18:59:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... the local Linux User Group meeting just ended. The group took up the Apache Server error we've been seeing. The group leader has several Apache servers running on his home network, so we looked at the error log, the access log and several others.  It became clear that the next time any of us gets the Apache Internal error we need to record the exact time, so you can ask for access to the error log at that that exact time.  In addition, the group suggested you ask for read-only access to the MySql database log (I'm not sure which one) so you can see if MySQL has any record of the problem at the precise time it occurred.

(th)

#2840 2023-03-21 19:07:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Since most of the time we have been documenting when the problems have been happening, we do have enough data to look though the log.

Of course, the logs for the mysql will take other tools since we have examples of them from the crash event.

Now to make the wood notes for a reply to calliban.

#2841 2023-03-21 21:09:21

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2840

Thanks for confirming you believe we already have enough recorded incidents to investigate the failures.

Please note that on the systems we looked at this evening, the log files are automatically deleted after two weeks, because each one is about 3 megabytes, and even after they are compressed, they are over 100 kbytes.   If you have not looked at the error logs previously recorded, then the logs are probably gone. The first step is for you to request  read-only access to the error logs.  Once you have that, we can start looking for error incidents.  I believe you are going to need to know the precise time the error occurred.  Without a precise time, you would be looking at thousands of lines of logged data that are not helpful.  There will be nothing in the log that looks like the error message we are seeing on our screens.

Without one of us having read-only access to the server error logs, we are just treading water.

(th)

#2842 2023-03-22 06:47:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... Mars_B4_Moon ran into a situation this morning that you should know about ...

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 62#p207962

When I first started working the problem, the topic index by ID was not working at all.  As reported, the index started working, so I'm hoping the index was rebuilt due to my many requests, but I was worried for a few minutes. 

Please consider moving forward towards gaining read-only access to the error logs at your earliest opportunity.

If you do not currently have a computer able to perform the needed work, please do not hesitate to let us know.  There are members of the forum with powerful computers that are idle because they have been superseded by newer equipment, and they still work just fine.

(th)

#2843 2023-03-22 19:57:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

When the 404 message comes up its due to the data base having no data at the record location. I did look and did not see anything but will continue to look around to see if its the string address that had the subforum or the pid information that was different as we still have a few of them in the topics for when Impaler got the moon topics broke from the mars folders.

#2844 2023-03-23 10:05:59

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... in case you miss my recent post in Email Outreach, please take a look at the URL posted as a signature by the Russian member.

I have no way of knowing if this is a trap for an unwary Internet user, but I would appreciate you taking a look at the situation.

According to Google's discovery, the format used by the Russian is designed to allow Unicode characters (such as Russian, I presume).

(th)

#2845 2023-03-23 10:08:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... in case you miss my recent post in Email Outreach, please take a look at the URL posted as a signature by the Russian member.

The Apache Internal error is not gone... I just got it while attempting Post #2844 above

However, apparently, Unicode feature of html also allows attack by simulating legitimate web sites.

(th)

#2846 2023-03-23 11:04:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... The Apache error prevented posting this post in the ChatGPT topic...

I'm testing to see if I can post it in another topic ...

The answer is ... NO!

(th)

#2847 2023-03-23 11:07:02

tahanson43206

OK SpaceNut! Here is an exact time you will need to look at the error log on the FluxBB server!

Date: 2023/03/23
Time: 13:05 my time

UTC time:
5:05PM
Thursday, March 23, 2023
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)

The incident took place between the first error:Today 12:58:29 << My time so 4:58:29 UTC

and 5:05 PM UTC

The topics where failure occurred include ChatGPT topic and Housekeeping.

Please keep in mind that the log you need to request is the error.log

We need to know what error is being reported by Apache at the time the failure occurs.

We need a copy of the actual text of the error message, if you can find it.

Once you have ** that ** text, you should be able to find other occurrences.

(th)

#2848 2023-03-23 19:49:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have emailed and will see what happens.

#2849 2023-03-23 20:14:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2848

Thanks for your follow up!

I appreciated Calliban's new topic about "free" heat ....

Calliban has a wide range as a writer.  He can be optimistic, as we have seen with his asteroid harvesting visions, and most recently the alternative of compressing air with a wind mill, which provides a store of energy but simultaneously produces thermal energy that can be harvested now, and cold that can be harnessed later.  I am still evaluating his new topic, so am not ready to reply to Calliban.

The principle of conversation of energy would say (if it could talk) that all the energy captured by the windmill at Calliban's place will be stored or used, and none will be created.

Calliban's idea would appear to offer a supply of heat that might be used for some purpose at the time air is compressed.

The air will subsequently draw thermal energy out of the environment when it is release to do work at a later time.

Meanwhile, we are in housekeeping, so I will remind you that you could create a thermal energy store in your basement, if you were to find used but still working ovens and load them with used bricks, and heat them up before power goes out, so you could keep the house warm long after the utility power is cut.

With careful shopping, you might be able to find working ovens you can have for the cost of picking them up, and the same might well be true of bricks.

Your only out-of-pocket expense (despite transportation via U-Haul) is for a licensed electrician  to install the 240 lines.

(th)

#2850 2023-03-24 07:36:17

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Database Scan....

We have crossed 208000, due primarily to Mars_B4_Moon's prolific searches and posts about a wide variety of subjects.

A scan of the most recent 1000 posts is under way.

Last time we ran a scan we had a perfect score! There were no potholes at all.  A pothole can occur when a member deletes a post, so potholes found in the scan do NOT mean we have a problem.  Never-the-less, If we see a perfect score, it means no one felt the need to delete a post. The run will take a minimum of 8 hours, so results will be posted later today.

(th)

Board footer