New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-10-15 15:43:16

clark

Re: Assisted Suicide: A case in point - What's your take

Here is why I think assisted suicide is wrong:

http://www.terrisfight.org/Framesets/SituationFrame.htm

Terri was 26 years old when she suffered brain damage from a sudden collapse.  Terri receives her food and water by means of a feeding tube. Terri?s other bodily functions are physically stable. Terri smiles, laughs and cries. Terri recognizes voices and responds. At times, she vocalizes sounds, trying in her best way to speak. Terri is not a brain dead vegetable as characterized by her husband and legal guardian, Michael Schiavo nor a houseplant as implied by his attorney.  Terri is not on a respirator or any artificial life support. She is a living human being and needs to be granted an opportunity to recover. Terri has not had any progressive rehabilitation or arousal therapy in more than ten years.

In a trial initiated by Michael Schiavo, Circuit Court Judge, George W. Greer, issued a verdict delivered on February 11, 2000. Judge Greer granted authorization to discontinue Terri?s feeding tube. Judge Greer?s verdict will cause Terri to die in 10 to 14 days. Terri?s death will be by painful starvation.

In a malpractice lawsuit, Terri?s husband personally received over $300,000 for his loss of consortium. Terri was awarded $750,000 from this suit and an additional $250,000 from a separate malpractice lawsuit. The money was awarded to Terri for her care and rehabilitation and to be placed in a Medical Trust Fund.  Terri?s husband received his personal award money and Terri?s medical fund money in early 1993. From the date he received the award money in 1993, Michael Schiavo has denied Terri any rehabilitation treatment. Michael Schiavo has confined Terri to a nursing home (currently, Terri is in a Hospice facility) where she is 'maintained.'

Her husband has directed that Terri only be sustained in a nursing home which is contrary to the intent of the award money.  Michael Schiavo has on two occasions unsuccessfully attempted to end Terri?s life by instructing her caretakers not to medicate Terri for potentially fatal infections. The first occasion occurred less than nine months after her husband received the malpractice award money.

Terri has no will. Should she die, her husband will inherit what is left of Terri?s $750,000 medical fund.
Terri?s husband lives in a house with Jodi Centonze. He openly admits that he has been engaged to this women for over seven years, have recently given birth to a baby girl, and has announced plans to marry her when Terri is no longer alive.
Since receiving the award money in 1993, her husband has ceased and prohibited any new or aggressive treatment for Terri. He has only maintained Terri at a nursing home (currently, Terri is in a Hospice facility).  He has totally ignored or denied rehabilitation therapy that could possibly assist Terri?s recovery.
Since 1993, Terri?s husband has consistently and deliberately withheld all medical information and data from Terri?s family. Over the past eight years he has ordered Terri?s caretakers not to reveal any medical or neurological information
Michael Schiavo will not permit any doctor to examine Terri other than the doctors he selects.
As Terri?s legal guardian, her husband has used her medical fund money to offset the legal costs when his guardianship of Terri was initially challenged and to pay the current legal costs to have Terri?s life ended.
Terri responds regularly to the presence of her parents and friends. Her husband's doctors testified Terri's cognizant responses to Terri?s parents and friends are simply a reflex action.

Needless to say, this appears to be a tragedy in the making. In my opinion, this is what is wrong with allowing assisted suicide. Cases like this.

My personal point of view, litteraly, is that there should be no laws, either way, regarding suicide. It's one of those personal moments in life that really should be left, well, personal.

I don't know when life exactly begins, and I don't know when it exactly ends. But I do know when someone is alive, and I know when someone is murdered.

This, to me, is murder.

#2 2003-10-16 20:04:00

Euler

What has this to do with assisted suicide?

I live in Oregon, where doctor-assisted suicide is legal.  However, it is only allowed in cases of terminal illness, in which the patient is sane and chooses suicide.  This case would certainly not apply, both because the patient did not choose suicide, and because the illness is not terminal.  In addition, death by starvation is not an accepted method of assisted suicide.

This is not suicide at all, assisted or otherwise.  If the website's claims about her not being a vegetable are true, than it really is murder.

#3 2003-10-16 20:11:31

Josh Cryer

I agree with Euler. There is no comparasion.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#4 2003-10-17 07:32:28

George H

God give's life, so only God can take life

#5 2003-10-17 13:53:31

clark

it was introduced to me as assisted suicide. this situation just seems so wrong... i apoligize that i introduced it as such though.  sad

Board footer