New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-01-16 13:00:19

tahanson43206

Space Plane design by Space-Plane.org

While we wait for the folks at space-plane.org to contribute to this topic, here is a screen shot of the Blender rendition of their design.

The file itself can be downloaded by anyone from the Files option of space-plane.org.

khviYDu.png

I have tested the STL image viewer they offer as a download, and it worked.  However, the system I tried it on was a student caliber 64 bit laptop running a limited edition of Windows 10.

On a 32 bit machine running an ancient Linux, the image rendered in Blender 2.58, but everything took forever because this is a ** big ** file.

On a 64 bit machine running Blender 2.79 performance was acceptable (that was Windows 7)

I have just now tested the file using Blender 3.0.1 on a 64 bit machine running Linux 22.04.

Performance was acceptable.

I can provide more images if anyone is interested.

On the ** other ** hand, indications seem to be that practically anyone (GW Johnson excepted) can run the software to see the lifting body shape.

I'm hoping our new member (PhotonBytes) will pick up this topic for officially approved posts about the company and the project.

(th)

#2 2023-01-16 13:35:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Space Plane design by Space-Plane.org

As you had argued it's a design topic, so science makes sense. As I am reminded of those years way back when sliding on snow we would a similar shaped metal sled.

il_794xN.1063870209_8p5z.jpg

now everything is made out of plastic even the old 2 runner sleds are too dangerous.

#3 2023-01-17 13:07:46

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut and all...

GW Johnson informed me by email that he has seen the image in Post #1 of this topic.

He is still working on his latest mini-project, involving design of shapes for towing in atmosphere, so it may be a while before he comments on the Space-Plane.org design.

Anyone with a 3D Printer, or with access to one, can (should be able to) print a 1:1000 scale model of the design.

The model will be 60 millimeters long, or just under 3 inches.  This is an ideal size for a home 3D printer.

(th)

#4 2023-01-18 11:40:27

tahanson43206

Update regarding correspondence: An email from GW Johnson was forwarded to PhotonBytes today.

(th)

#5 2023-01-19 08:28:39

PhotonBytes

Orbiter Re-entry Path

Shuttle-Reentry.gif

We ran the CFD from Mach 0 - 25 and altitudes 0 - 105 km and plan to do ascent and reentry optimization next. Tom is right about the 40 deg max attack angle. We thank him for his input! We were planning no greater than 20 degrees to stay stable.

Space-Plane-Blender.png
Space-Plane-Meshmixer.png

Meshmixer loads the STL with colors and is a tiny installation compared to Blender. Blender only shows the colors on the PLY import, which is an even bigger file than the STL with colors embedded.

https://meshmixer.com/

We uploaded the PLY file and added it to the 'Files' page with HTTP instruction to download rather than open the file.

http://space-plane.org/files.htm

With a simple switch in Blender you can display STL in color but it doesnt understand Vertex Color when loading STL so we use a PLY file for that.

Last edited by PhotonBytes (2023-01-19 09:16:24)

I play the piano

Board footer