New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#201 2022-10-14 08:55:10

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Booze

Home distilling was legal in New Zealand before it was here. The coffee urn distillers are imported from New Zealand.
t500copper-300x300.jpg completedomestill-300x300.jpg

#202 2022-10-18 09:13:32

Mars_B4_Moon

A Mars booze production boom and will chocolate exist on Mars?

Inside the Martian farm, a biodome or artificial biosphere a food made from roasted and ground cacao seed kernels then available as a liquid, solid, or paste and added to foods. Discovery and hsitorical findings suggest Chocolate's preparation by pre-Olmec peoples as early as 1750 BC Maya grew cacao trees in their backyards residue of a chocolate drink, suggests the Maya were drinking chocolate around 400 AD Spanish royal chronicler Gonzalo Fernández de Oviedo y Valdés described a chocolate drink he had seen in Nicaragua in 1528, mixed with achiote writing an account 'because those people are fond of drinking human blood, to make this beverage seem like blood, they add a little achiote, so that it then turns red'

https://popular-culture.fandom.com/wiki/Chocolate

https://www.earthstoriez.com/cacao-coco … e-timeline

South-west breweries and distilleries ride alcohol production boom wave
https://www.standard.net.au/story/79413 … rits-high/

Alley Kat Brewing Releasing Milk Chocolate Porter
https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2022/1 … te-porter/

#203 2022-10-18 22:23:01

RobertDyck
Website

Many years ago I discussed chocolate with Palomar. Her real name is Cindy. She said she wouldn't go to Mars unless she can have her deserts. So I looked up how to make chocolate. Chocolate is basically cocoa and sugar. Cocoa is made from seed pods of the cacao tree. The tree naturally grows in tropical rain forests as an understory tree. It "only" grows 50 feet tall. Plantations that produce cocoa commercially trim trees so they "only" grow 25 feet tall. Commercial plantations require a shade tree planted beside each cacao tree, because they can't handle full sun. On Mars, direct ambient sunlight is enough; cacao trees would not require shade, nor would they require mirrors to intensify light. If grown from a seed, cacao trees produce a tap root 2 to 2.5 metres deep. However, if grown from a cutting they do not grow a tap root, tree roots only grow a few centimetres deep. So trees from cuttings can be grown in a pressurized greenhouse on Mars. Cacao trees produce seed pods on their trunk, not branches. Seed pods contain multiple beans, each encased in a white sticky substance. The white sticky substance is used to make white chocolate. The brown beans are used to make cocoa, which is the primary ingredient for chocolate. Pollinator for cacao trees are biting midges. Midges are tiny insects like mosquitoes, but smaller. Midges fly so slowly that a man can out pace them by walking quickly. Midges require rotting vegetation on the ground, and a variety of tropical plants. A greenhouse for cacao trees would be separate from greenhouses for other food crops. To keep the midges in, a tunnel would connect the greenhouse to the rest of the complex. The greenhouse would have lower pressure than the rest of the complex, so tunnel would have a draft into the greenhouse with wind speed faster than midges can fly. That would keep them in, prevent them from pestering the rest of the farm or other Mars complex.
220px-Chocolate_in_its_Rawest_Form_%2827583224425%29.jpg 406px-Cacao-pod-k4636-14.jpg

#204 2022-10-22 16:59:54

tahanson43206

For Beerman ....

Paul R. Kan - Buzzed
Lightyear: Tapping
Into Beer's
Interplanetary Future

I had hoped to catch your presentation live, but missed it and am hoping the recordings are available soon.

I would have ** really ** liked to have been able to hear the talk with the Q&A live.

I hope it went well!

Update Monday Morning: The conference video are available for holders of Virtual Tickets.

The first set of offerings do not include your session (or I was unable to find it).

If you had notes prepared ahead of time, please post them here, or at least a summary of your presentation.

If you had images/slides, you can provide them to the NewMars audience using imgur.com

The procedure is fairly simple (once you get used to it) and there are folks here who can provide encouragement and advice.

Since you are a speaker, you may be able to request your talk be included in the free post-conference offerings.

The simplest path would be to write Executive Director James Burke.

He may already be planning to make additional sessions available.  The first set is quite impressive, as it arrives so soon after the end of the conference.

Update ... I just made a discovery .... it is possible the entire event is captured in the available recordings.

I just brought up Dr. Gao as the title of the Sunday morning Plenaries, and found that the recording is all four hours (4:47 to be exact)

(th)

#205 2022-10-24 10:29:05

tahanson43206

This post is copied from the Conference topic ... it reports on success in finding BeerMan's talk in the conference recordings...

tahanson43206 wrote:

Follow up to #39

It appears that viewing of the recordings depends upon having a Virtual Ticket. 

I'll pursue that and report back.

Reporting back a bit later:

This is the title of the opening of the Special track on Friday...

Special Presentations
Fri, Oct 21, 2022 04:00PM EDT

Yay! The video plays on this (more robust) machine .... I slide the time button to the right and landed on Bruce McKenzie

At 4 PM James Burke introduced a talk on Companion Dogs in Space.

I don't have sound at the moment.  The sound indicators are all positive, so I may have a mechanical problem.

Yup! It was a "mechanical" problem .... output was going to the wrong port

Paul is up next...

The title slide says Paul is a PhD !!!

The sound cut out in the video, between the end of the talk about Dogs in Space, and the Start of Paul's talk

I paused at 4:27 with the opening slide on the screen but no sound ...

I had mis-remembered the title l... it is "Buzzed Lightyear"

Sound check Ok .... running early so will wait a moment in case someone else might show up in the onsite audience

I've paused the talk a few minutes in, having the luxury of coming back later.

I'd like to correct my impression ... Paul  clarified that he co-owns a brewery, but is NOT a brewer.

I can see/hear that this is a talk worth seeing, if you are fortunate enough to have secured one of the free Virtual Tickets.

I ** was ** able to switch the ticket from one pc to another without difficulty, but Zoom insisted I log into their facility on each new system.

All in all, I am greatly encouraged that the entire conference may actually be online and completely accessible to those with Virtual Tickets.

There ** might ** be a way to secure a Virtual Ticket by becoming a Mars Society Member.  I will try to remember to ask Executive Director James Burk the next time I get a chance to talk to him (or perhaps swap emails).

(th)

Update after playing the video all the way to the end (literally)...

Beerman's talk was last one before Happy Hour! 

It was (I admit I'm biased) ** excellent ** .... the questions from the audience were interesting, but I got the impression at least some folks didn't seem to have a solid understanding of conditions on Mars.

Never-the-less, BeerMan handled the questions with grace and good humor.

Congratulations!

PS ... if you would like to make the slides available to NewMars via imgur.com, I think they would show up well.

(th)

#206 2022-10-25 10:13:37

tahanson43206

For BeerMan re excellent presentation at 25th Mars Society Convention ....

As you probably know, the video recordings of the convention are going to be available for viewing through November 22nd, 30 days after the end of the event.

I believe your talk would be worth offering to a wider audience via your personal YouTube Channel, if you can interest Executive Director James Burk in allowing you to make a copy.

I'm not ** exactly ** sure of the process, but since I have achieved a (very modest) success with posting to YouTube, I am confident that a collaboration between you and Mr Burk would allow the video to be available to NewMars members and perhaps to a wider audience.

(th)

#207 2022-10-27 04:48:39

Mars_B4_Moon

Mars inside a Biodome is probably too dry and cold to make anything like Coconut palm but maybe someone will find a way to grow a similar engineered plant, will the people of Mars be allowed 'home brew'? Or maybe some military guy would point out the risk of uncontrolled brewing so it would be regulated.

Royal Thai Government, a region historically known as Siam the unitary government of the Monarch Kingdom of Thailand, it had a number maybe bloodless military coup if I recall and a few injured but none dead, semi-democratic constitutional monarchy. Thai politician and retired army officer who has served as the Prime Minister of Thailand?
https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/prayut … wing-bill/
Prayuth cites ‘health and safety’ to attack popular homebrewing bill

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha stated in no unclear terms his opposition to a popular progressive bill to decriminalize alcohol production.

A very hardy tree for Coconut yet most restricted to near the sea and tropical and subtropical but Cold and some kind of Bacteria infection are one of the few things I've seen that kill them regular.
https://www.florida-palm-trees.com/palm … rotection/

Toddy an alcoholic beverage collected from the sap of various species of palm trees like date palms, coconut palms, Palmyra. There is a whole different method and style of producing Palmwines, consumed in parts of Africa, the Caribbean, South America, South Asia, Southeast Asia and Micronesia. Most look White in Color but in the Philippines the drinks can look greenish, blueish or brown,  Tuba  is a Filipino alcoholic beverage created from the sap of various species of palm, Bahal is a type of tuba that is orange to brown in color because it has added extracts, Kinutil is tuba mixed with raw egg yolks, tabliya chocolate, milk. The palm trees across the world are sometimes of great value to a community, they become a source of regular household income that may economically be worth more than the value of timber sold, it is also known as palm wine, Kallu in South India also.

Thailand operates satellites, it can buy service from other bigger players, astronauts none, launch vehicles none available. However the topics government, military and monarchy have come up on newmars before.

and

'Germany to legalize cannabis use for recreational purposes.'
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ge … 022-10-26/

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-10-27 05:19:15)

#208 2022-10-27 05:07:02

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon re #207

Thank you for another interesting post with historical perspective.

The sentence I'm quoting here might be accepted as a challenge for those designing habitats for Mars:

Mars inside a Biodome is probably too dry and cold to make anything like Coconut palm but maybe someone will find a way to grow a similar engineered plant, will the people of Mars be allowed 'home brew'?

Clearly your vision of what a Mars habitat might be like is wildly different from the vision of others.

This is as good a topic as any for others with a different vision to offer their visions.

(th)

#209 2022-10-31 05:56:07

BeerMan

Hi everyone--thanks for the compliments on my talk!  I enjoyed the experience very much and I learned a ton.  I didn't know very much about Mars or the Mars Society, but being there was an eye-opener.

Is there a link for people to see my talk?  A few of my friends and colleagues have asked me whether there was a recording.  Also, how do I get to Imgur to post my slides?

Thanks to everyone for the support and helpful discussions; I was able to put them to good use as I prepared my presentation.

#210 2022-10-31 06:21:48

tahanson43206

For BeerMan re #209

Thanks (again) for your engaging, interesting and encouraging talk at the Convention!

It may turn out there is a direct link to your talk, but for certain there is a way to see the talk ... It is part of a four hour block recorded from the Zoom session.

There is a topic in the forum about the convention, and there is a post that describes the search for the talk.

However, it may turn out that a bit more work on your part would be helpful.

Please consider writing to Executive Director James Burk to ask if your talk could be made available on YouTube as a separate offering.

The existing Zoom recordings are only available until November 22nd, and they are only available to Mars Society members who obtained Virtual Tickets.

In past years, Mars Society has posted talks directly on YouTube, so they might be willing to do so this year.

Recently Mars_B4_Moon found a link to a Mars Society Convention panel on YouTube so your request would not be out of line.

To use imgur.com, just open your browser to imgur.com.

You'll find an offer of membership.  The process is straightforward, and there is no fee.

To upload images, use the Upload button.  The ** only ** wrinkle is to remember which mouse click you need to obtain the BBCode link for your image.

It is either the right or the left click, and I can never remember which.

Select the BBCode link, and paste that into a NewMars post, along with a word or two explaining what the image is.

Afterthought... it may be possible for you to request a Virtual Ticket after the fact, since you were a presenter.

That might be worth including in your email to Mr. Burk.  As a presenter, you would have missed many sessions going on in parallel, and there might be one or two you'd like to catch.

(th)

#211 2022-12-31 15:55:20

Steve Stewart
Website

BeerMan #209,
I'm going through the same learning curve you are.
I recently posted some images for the first time using Imgur.com
I was able to post images following tahanson's instructions above.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
So'll I'll show you screen shots I took while using Imgur and doing what tahanson said.
Here is a step by step process I used to post images:

The first step is to go to the web-site Imgur.com

You'll need to create an account.
I don't believe you can post images on this forum without creating an account.
Creating an account on Imgur is free,
but you do have to provide an Email address and a cell phone number.
They'll text you a security code to your cell phone to create an account.
Click on "Sign up" as shown below.
Follow the instructions on the screen.

HHSwF5W.jpg

Once an account has been created and you are signed in, click on the letter on the top right corner.
(The letter is the first letter of your username).
A pull-down menu will pop up.
Click on "Images"

vdJcnNL.jpg

A screen will come up that lists all the images you have uploaded so far.
The screen will be blank until you upload images.
On the right there is a blank area that states "Drag and drop images onto this page..."
(See red arrow below)
You can drag your image from your desktop to this area and it will upload your image.

You can also select the image on your computer and do a "Copy" by pressing the <ctrl> key and the "C" key at the same time.
Then click on the blank area (Red arrow below).
Then press <ctrl> "V" to paste.

7yoXXui.jpg

Once your images have been uploaded you will need a "link" for each image.
(Each image will have it's own link).
Click on an image that you uploaded.
A window will pop up with that image and a list of links to the right.
(See image below).

You'll want to copy the link "BBcode"
Click "Copy" next to "BBcode" (Circled below)

(I usually paste the link to a file in notepad to save the link(s).
But when doing so you'll have to remember which link goes with which image).

Once you have the link, you'll need to close the window (X on top right) and select another image.
Keep repeating until you have a link to all your images.

EFfaBtX.jpg

Once you have created links to your images.
You are ready to post them on the Mars Forum.
When you are ready to post an image,
copy and paste the link created by Imgur into the area "Post a reply".

I did a screen capture below.
I had to chop the screen up into 3 separate pieces to get it all to fit in one image.
(See below).

Shown at [1] below, copy the link for your image.
Notice that Imgur created the required BBcode command along with a link to the image.
The "img" command shown in brackets is a command that tells the software for this forum that a link to your image is about to follow.
The "/img" in brackets marks the end of the link.

At the bottom of the page marked with a [2], click "Preview"
If all goes well the image should be displayed under "Post preview".

9RzrF13.jpg

Good luck!

#212 2023-01-12 20:01:47

Mars_B4_Moon

NASA's moon-orbiting space station will be claustrophobic, architect says
https://www.space.com/lunar-gateway-sta … itect-says

what if people get sick on Mars will the rules for Booze change

changes to the rule of travel in 2021

a year of lock downs, rules, cabin fever and restriction?

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/amid-a … d-for-good

#213 2023-02-18 13:44:54

Mars_B4_Moon

When Alcohol is not Booze you consume

It Matters Which Rubbing Alcohol You Use for Disinfecting
https://lifehacker.com/it-matters-which … 1849997605

#214 2023-02-22 12:03:08

Mars_B4_Moon

Earth's South Pole

One of the few bars in Antarctica

https://archive.fo/LGnCL

#215 2023-03-04 16:36:42

Mars_B4_Moon

Ethanol production plants in Ohio supply greenhouse gas-reducing renewable fuel
https://www.wtol.com/article/news/local … 24d211156e
Ethanol is an alcohol produced from corn

and maybe just maybe there is a chemical biological farm already read Mars the methane from biology or geology?

German brewery introduces powdered pint
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germ … -lrzh2rh82
A German brewery has said it is on the brink of creating a drink that will revolutionise the global beverage industry, developing the world’s first beer in powdered form

#216 2023-03-19 17:59:43

Mars_B4_Moon

Study hints at the promise of non-hallucinogenic LSD for treating mood disorders

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-03- … rders.html

Ethanol vs. Petroleum-Based Fuel Carbon Emissions

https://www.energy.gov/eere/bioenergy/a … -emissions

#217 2023-04-14 09:15:32

Mars_B4_Moon

'Winning recipe from Margherita Gagnoni'

https://twitter.com/ESA_JUICE/status/16 … 1111816194

#218 2023-05-25 07:15:42

Mars_B4_Moon

World’s biggest plant for ethanol jet fuel expected to open in 2025
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/ … -expected/

The truth about booze: how alcohol really affects your body, from first flush of happiness to hangover hell
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl … gover-hell

Can beer convince Americans to drink recycled wastewater?
https://phys.org/news/2023-05-beer-conv … water.html

Jeremy Clarkson to brew low and no alcohol beer
https://uk.style.yahoo.com/jeremy-clark … 00316.html

Beer-loving MFP lawmaker takes aim at booze duopoly
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge … ze-duopoly
Election winner was 'once arrested for illegal brewing'

Brewer-turned-politician Taopiphop Limjittrakorn

Bangkok 24 Taopiphop Limjittrakorn (MFP) vs Silumpa Lertnuwat (UTN)

Move Forward Party is a social democratic and progressive political party in Thailand. It opposes the remaining influence of the military junta which ruled the country from 2014 to 2019. It was founded in 2014 as the Ruam Pattana Chart Thai Party and later changed its name to the Phung Luang Party  but after the 2019 Thai general election, reverted to its original name. It obtained its current name in 2020 after becoming the de facto successor to the dissolved Future Forward Part.  It also aims to amend Thailand's strict lèse-majesté laws, as well as supports scrutinizing the royal budget.

Lèse-majesté is a crime according to Section 112 of the Thai Code saying in writing that it is illegal to defame, insult, or threaten the monarch of Thailand the king, queen, heir-apparent, heir-presumptive, or regent.

they also did not like people making 'Booze'

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-05-25 07:20:51)

#219 2023-06-29 09:10:32

Mars_B4_Moon

Beer Baron: What beer fans need to know about Wisconsin's alcohol law overhaul

https://madison.com/article_b1126e52-02 … 757e0.html

The danger of an 'aspartame' sweetener in Alcohol?

a chemical Methyl L-α-aspartyl-L-phenylalaninate or N-(L-α-Aspartyl)-L-phenylalanine, 1-methyl ester

The Agent Orange guys Monsanto settled with US victims, a long time ago a rich elite family Olga Méndez Monsanto, had her family anme put on a new business. John Francis Queeny, a chemistry industry guy, a veteran of the nascent pharmaceutical industry, funds the firm with his own money and capital from a soft drink distributor, it bought NutraSweet and  the company has competed for market share with other manufacturers, including Ajinomoto Japan multi national food, Merisant, and the Holland Sweetener Company.

In Canada, foods that contain aspartame are required to list aspartame among the ingredients, include the amount of aspartame per serving, and state that the product contains phenylalanine
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/requir … 304?chap=2

WHO's cancer research agency to say aspartame sweetener a possible carcinogen
https://www.reuters.com/business/health … 023-06-29/

#220 2023-07-02 07:31:28

Mars_B4_Moon

A woman plans to sue a small New Hampshire town after she was arrested in her own home last year by cops, who were investigating a crash that occurred nearby, because they said that they could could smell alcohol on her breath.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … l-her.html
Colleen Loud, 68, had been sitting at her home in New Hampton eating a bowl of ice cream waiting for a Yankees game to start last October when officers knocked on her door and eventually took her into custody.

2021 article Georgia Institute of Technology on topic From Alcohol to Rocket Fuel

Making Martian rocket biofuel on Mars
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 122016.htm
New study outlines biotechnology process to produce rocket fuel on red planet

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-07-02 07:33:54)

#221 2023-07-03 05:11:09

RobertDyck
Website

Re post #220 above:
This is shocking. Requiring an individual to take a breathalyzer test in their home? Not driving, in a home. A mobile home, but not a motor home and not driving, so the same as a house. Then claiming they had to take that individual into custody as protective action against a messy home? The article also said the chief of police has retired and the arresting officer no longer works there. That's appropriate. This is the sort of abuse of authority for which many individuals want to move to Mars.

#222 2023-07-03 05:21:10

kbd512
Administrator

RobertDyck,

I'm sure her neighbors called the cops on her, possibly for being a Yankees fan, but probably for being too Loud.  All jokes aside, this idiocy is yet another reason why I want to get as far away from the nannies as I possibly can.  A 68 year old woman sitting in her own home doesn't need to take a breathalyzer test, much less go to jail for drinking some beer while watching a baseball game.

#223 2023-07-07 08:02:15

Mars_B4_Moon

Dangers of Booze when Pregnant and now the Dangers of Weed when Pregnant.

THC use during pregnancy linked to changes in fetal development

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 160116.htm

' a model using nonhuman primate '

Researchers found that significant changes involved genes associated with common neurobehavioral disorders, including autism spectrum disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. These conditions are linked to adverse health outcomes in childhood and adolescence, including poorer memory and verbal reasoning skills, and increased hyperactivity, impulsivity and inattention.

#224 2023-09-13 06:42:33

Mars_B4_Moon

Kombucha: Ally for Moon and Mars
https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Komb … s_999.html

Alcohol is killing more women than ever before
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/prem … orse-women
New research shows that while men are still more likely to die from an alcohol-related disease, the gap is narrowing.

#225 2023-11-22 18:57:13

Mars_B4_Moon

Going full Sharia Law with alleged sexual assaults

perhaps an Underground Trade and Black Market will come?

subscribe paywall

US scientists banned from buying alcohol in bars on Antarctica base
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ … antarctic/

Home brewing banned at Australian Antarctic stations as alcohol limits tightened in safety push
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-28/ … /100329618

Board footer