New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#376 2022-11-24 11:11:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Putin's Russian expanding to be the old USSR

Welcome back Yuri Pilipishin, and I hope that you will continue to do so. Wishing you a well and stable condition throughout your ordeal.

#377 2022-11-24 11:23:41

Yuri Pilipishin
Website

SpaceNut wrote:

Welcome back Yuri Pilipishin, and I hope that you will continue to do so. Wishing you a well and stable condition throughout your ordeal.

Thank you. I read your forums sometimes, and it was interesting to read this topic about Russian - Ukrainian war. I'll try to write something again, if I'll have something that could be disclosed.

#378 2022-11-24 16:04:41

Void

Yuri Pilipishin,

To start with I would like to not be offensive towards someone from a different culture which I may not understand well enough.  So, I apologize if that is needed.

As for the fault line, I actually indicate the fault line between the western and eastern Roman empire heritage.  It is my feeling that my people are not careful enough to understand that our definition of how things should be are not the same as peoples with more distant roots.

You will see why I thought that Slav and Slave had a relationship, in this article perhaps: https://isi.org/intercollegiate-review/ … d-slavery/

So, I will talk a bit if you can tolerate it about my own personal thinking, why I like wild people more than civilized people, unless the wild people are more dangerous than the so-called civilized people.

I think that agricultures results may have been an evil we had to pass through to get to the now, but I have no love for the cultures that used to take slaves.  But I understand that slavery appeared in most or all cultures in some form or another.

Agriculture led to the major cities that built monuments that impress many people.  I had a friend now passed however who indicated that the British built with wood, quite often.  So, they did not leave behind so many stone monuments.

Three main peoples are supposed to have formed the current, populations that we call Europeans.
Hunter Gatherers,
Farmer Peoples.
People from the Steppes.

Frankly I have a strong annoyance with the cities of Dublin>London>Paris>Rome>Athens>Cairo, and maybe some other ones........

In my opinion the agricultural abundance of that line and the hyper cities that occurred because of it, led to Hierarchies, and such that held the human race in bondage.  The Religions of these places were both good and bad.  They did deal in the written word. Library has value.  But they do tend to stagnate the human race in my opinion, as the keep circling back to old things, as means of material power.

I believe that my nation was an event that unlocked this problem for a time.  But now I fear that the Farmers have been setting up a Hierarchy on our East Coast and elsewhere, to enslave us.  The pretend to be Americans, in some cases, but do not heed our ways.

While I regard the Russians as rather alien and very dangerous, I do not enjoy the notion of these Farmer cities seeking material power where they do not leave room for people who are not like them to live in their own ways.

While I am not a fan of a renewal of the Soviet Union, for the most part, I also don't want my American republic to be conquered by these people while they are also trying to get the Russians under their thumb.

They are unworthy to rule the world.  They have caused much harm with their words.  But I would not be rid of them, only stop their current conquest attempts.

I hope you can understand that a bit.

Those so called "Civilized Peoples" only became open to the Scientific world, when Columbus touched the New World.  We escaped for a while.  I don't want a new Dark Ages ruled over by these types.

And no, I don't think Columbus intended to upend the world.  It just happened that he and his group accidently provided the escape hatch.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2022-11-24 16:26:00)

Done.

#379 2022-11-24 18:55:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yuri Pilipishin, we understand that you cannot give any details that would give away the safety that you have in any way shape or form.

US aid to Ukraine puts pressure on Pentagon's arms stockpile

What happened to increasing production of these?

U.S. defense production lines are not scaled to supply a major land war, and some, like for the Stinger, were previously shut down in 2008.

The Pentagon awarded Raytheon a $624 million contract for 1,300 new Stinger missiles in May, but the company said it will not be able to increase production until next year due to parts shortages.

The military aid packages the U.S. sends either pull inventory from stockpiles or fund contracts with industry to step up production. At least $19 billion in military aid has been committed to date, including 924,000 artillery rounds for 155mm howitzers, more than 8,500 Javelin anti-tank systems, 1,600 Stinger anti-aircraft systems and hundreds of vehicles and drones. It’s also provided advanced air defense systems and 38 HIMARS, although the Pentagon does not disclose how many rounds of ammunition it sends with the rocket systems.

Republicans take control of the House in January. House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy of California, who is seeking to become speaker, has warned that Republicans would not support writing a “blank check” for Ukraine.

#380 2022-11-24 20:13:41

Void

Yuri Pilipishin

I will be very happy to see you post here, as I would be benefited by your interpretation of reality.  I do not yet understand it.

Done.

Done.

#381 2023-01-12 19:54:12

Mars_B4_Moon

I normally don't share any vid with 'music' I believe it disrespectful to a battle, innocent people die and  its a zone of conflict, should music be played with dying or anyone fighting live streaming, or anyone surviving...in this film there is some background audio but i believe the footage is important
This new-ish Tank was once said to be unbeatable a Tank they took pride in, it entered service in the 90s, it was advertised at shows said to be indestructible, then in recent film we seen a missle destory the tank, an old Soviet Ukraine tank kill a new Russian tank, flying robots damage and wreck these tanks. New high tech Tanks defeated from live footage in Ukraine, these so called unbeatable tanks are now confirmed destroyed in the  Ukraine war and now

'First Documented Capture Of T-90 Tank In Ukraine'
https://funker530.com/video/first-docum … n-ukraine/

T-90 remains Russia's most advanced main battle tank.

T-90 variants were intended for export sales by the Russian government but were repurposed to be used in Ukraine as equipment losses continue to mount.

Putin might be pushing yet another military reshuffle  and last month U.S. talkshow host David Letterman went down into the subway and interviewed Ukraine's Zelenskiy, if you search you can find the interview online.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-01-12 19:56:37)

#382 2023-01-14 18:17:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

UK commits to sending Ukraine Challenger 2 tanks, going further than Biden administration. Britain is to sending Challenger 2 tanks to Ukraine to bolster the war effort against invading Russian forces.

#383 2023-01-15 16:44:39

kbd512
Administrator

The only thing I've ever thought Russian tanks were particularly good at, is maneuverability and acceleration.  Relative to most modern Western-designed tanks, the Russian tanks do seem to be able to accelerate and turn a bit better.  That's probably because they're so much lighter and have similarly powerful engines.  What they gave up, was the level of protection that most modern Western tanks provide.  I've seen very little that makes me think they're well armored, except over the frontal arc.  Virtually any modern ATGM will penetrate easily, and those types of weapons are now pervasive on the modern battlefield.  The Russians must know this, but either cannot correct the deficiency or choose not to.  Russian ATGMs are readily capable of disabling or destroying their own tanks, even with all the add-on armor present.

I think their combat vehicle designs follow a doctrinal philosophy that's very different from our own.  American doctrine places crew survivability higher in the list of priorities because combined arms maneuver warfare requires highly trained soldiers.  We can't afford to lose very many of our soldiers and still run a successful war.  Russian doctrine is very much about massive artillery barrages supporting armored thrusts and motorized rifle battalions.  As history has proved, a lot more of those soldiers can die and still result in a victory for Russia.  It's not "wrong", just different.  If we take stock of how quickly Russia leveled entire cities in Ukraine, we can conclude that their doctrine is still highly effective, even when conducted by conscript armies of questionable quality.

Would they win a major land war against NATO?  At the height of the Cold War, I think they'd still lose that sort of war.  Their weaponry is qualitatively inferior in meaningful ways.  Their doctrine would be successfully implemented, but still result in a loss.  Today, pretty much every piece of conventional military hardware they have would be destroyed as fast as it was during the first Iraq War.  Militarily, they're on par with Iraq.  Iraq's military was no trouble at all, including their Revolutionary Guard units.  They never won a single battle.  They have huge numbers of vehicles and artillery systems, including anti-aircraft systems.  However, Iraqi units had inadequate basic raining, almost no realistic combat training outside of actual combat (not a good place to discover shortcomings in training or attitude), mediocre will to fight amongst most soldiers, no institutional drive to improve, and they're far behind where we thought they were (technologically speaking).  NATO would require about a month to utterly destroy all conventional military capabilities.  I'm pretty confident that either America or Europe alone could do it,  with a modestly higher casualty rate.

If America and Europe had WWII era weaponry (tanks, artillery, combat aircraft, and ships), combined with modern communications and sensors systems, we would still win that fight.  Iran or Russia or China would be expending some extreme multiple of the cost of an individual prop-driven fighter plane or tank to destroy some of our equipment, when weapons were available to do that.  Their missile systems would be terrifying in action, but would have almost no net effect on the outcome of the war.  To this day, they lack precision cooperative targeting capability and they have no combined arms maneuver warfare doctrine as such.  Russia or China would do every bit as poorly against that as they did against Germany and Japan, but with inferior quantities of soldiers and equipment (as compared to their WWII stocks) that they could not as easily replace.  The German "Volkssturm" had no net effect at delaying the end of the war, for example.  That wasn't because their weapons were inferior, it was down to an utter lack of training.

WWII alone, ignoring all of their follow-on mass murder of their own people after WWII, was a knock-out blow that took the next half-century to materialize.  They expended what human and material capital they had left developing nuclear weapons and conventional weapons that were extensions or refinements of WWII era technology.  They had MiG-25s and MiG-31s using vacuum tube radar systems well into the 1980s (very advanced for what they were, but unable to compete with solid state systems in computing power).  They had a plethora of examples of transistors and chips to copy and use, but never did.  Creating a fighter radar system that doesn't require a warm-up period measured in minutes wasn't high enough on their military priorities list.  Worse still, pilot training atrophied to practically nothing.  Even if they had perfectly good radars and missiles or guided bombs (which they did and do), their pilots had no clue about how to employ them in combat.  We see this in Ukraine where large numbers of Russian pilots have flown into terrain, released weapons that were completely off-target, and shown almost no ability to coordinate with the ground units they should be supporting.  I assume most of their aircraft and missile systems are now using Western-built solid state electronics, but near-term replacements are no longer an option.

Side Bar on Tanks:

M1s are frequently touted for their acceleration capabilities.  The Russian T-80s also had gas turbine engines, but proved too expensive and unreliable.  It's true that their gas turbine engines allow them to accelerate well for vehicles of their size.  The corollary is that if you try to use all of that capability with any regularity, then you'll start breaking drive sprockets / tracks pins / transmission parts in short order.  That's why their engines have governors on them (both American M1s and Russian T-80s).  The engine is fully capable of over-stressing the rest of the drivetrain.  Oddly enough, we've also chosen not to directly correct that problem, or we can't correct it without adding a lot more weight.

In contrast, diesel-powered Russian tanks frequently accelerate and turn at speeds that would cause failures in our tanks.  There are good reasons why our tanker training courses are so lengthy, and driver training is one of them.  The driver's controls may be superficially similar to a car, but all other similarities end there.  If you were to remove the governor from the AGT-1500s, the vehicle could accelerate at faster rates and achieve higher top speeds, but you unless you were traveling in a straight line on a paved road, there's a very high likelihood of drivetrain failures, such as throwing tracks.  The M1 is fully capable of highway speeds of 65mph or more when the engine's rpm governor is removed.  In practice, most tanks don't achieve speeds of over 35mph in combat zones or in rough terrain.  Most of the time, they operate near human walking or running speeds.  The same applies to most other heavy off-road vehicles.  That's why men on foot can ambush them so frequently.  If you know where they're headed and they're being cautious and using infantry for mutual protection, then they're vulnerable to ambush.

One of the interesting "features" of off-road heavy vehicles not intended for racing, is that you'll notice they almost universally seem to have a 45mph top speed limit over relatively smooth and flat terrain.  It's a limitation of allowable stress on drivetrain components and travel of suspension systems.  Sure, you can build the drivetrain stronger or give the suspension system more travel to soak up bumps, but then the vehicle is heavier, it's center-of-gravity is higher, and other components have to be beefed up accordingly.  So long as you're using steel as your primary construction material, all involved factors tend to converge to limit how fast your off-road heavy vehicles can go before drivetrain components start breaking with unacceptable frequency.  We, as in everyone, learned most of this during the experimentation conducted before / during / immediately after WWII.  Achieving highway speeds off-road will never be practical.  The Trophy Trucks you see going 100mph through Baja also shear axles and break shocks and springs within the span of a single racing event.  Those trucks, while heavy at about 3 tons, have zero creature comforts (no heating or air conditioning), they hold one or maybe two drivers, and they're not armored at all.  Their engines are run so hard (600hp to 800hp from an engine designed for 300hp to 400hp) that they have to be rebuilt after one or two races.

Long story short, 100mph off-road in an armored military vehicle (wheels or tracks doesn't matter) is not doable in any practical sense, even if the vehicle has the horsepower to do it.  They built some "hot rod" M113s with 1,000hp that could easily accelerate to 75mph.  The ride was so jarring that the occupants couldn't function afterwards.  They had some injuries inside the vehicle from the ride quality alone.  In a Trophy Truck, you're pinned into your seat, wearing a 5-point harness, a neck brace, and a Hans device on your helmet.  The Monster Trucks have no armor, drivetrain is completely exposed below the truck for CG purposes, and most of the weight of those is in hydraulic suspension systems and drive train.  Those also last for about 1 to 2 10-minute exhibition events, tops.  They look cool, doing what they do, but not at all practical in a military setting for transporting troops or carrying cargo.

Anyway, this question of what to do about Russia or China is largely a moot point.  If we ever fight a conventional war against them, then we will win decisively.  It won't even be close.  Everything they have versus everything they have is not a real contest.  If they escalate to a nuclear war, because they know they can't win a conventional war, then everyone on the planet loses decisively.  That's the problem with nuclear weapons in the hands of petulant children for "leaders", who cannot accept when they have lost and to go home.  We should be looking to find ways to end these stupid and destructive wars.  Mass murdering each other should be much lower in our priorities list if we wish to achieve abundance.  War is still a part of resolution of differences, but no serious effort has been made to peacefully resolve disputes.  With the looming population collapse, we're going to need more people, not fewer, in order to continue to advance.

#384 2023-01-26 07:51:21

Calliban

Peter Zeihan on East European and Russian demographics.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UuhgLlxJMkU

Depressing to say the least.  Many of the world's ethnicities are going to shrink or disappear outright in the 21st century.  Ukraine is unlikely to recover from the war with Russia even if the conflict ended today.  They just don't have enough women of child bearing age to sustain their population.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#385 2023-01-26 08:07:24

tahanson43206

For Calliban re #384

The other side of the coin is the potential for a thriving, creative "really angry" population intending to rebuild and to surpass Russia in every way.

A culture like that would attract plenty of young, energetic, creative people from all over the planet.

If our concern is the survival of the "human" DNA (as opposed to individual variations) then the future for Ukraine would appear to be bright, while that of Russia looks dim (to me at least).

In your post, it seems to me you have indicated an interest in preserving small streams of the flow of DNA.  There have been many variations of human DNA over the millennia, and many of these have been wiped out by competing strains. 

However, if your interest is in preserving whatever strain of DNA might be characterized as Ukrainian, then you might be right.

Those Native Americans who lamented the wiping out of Native American strains of DNA by ethnic groups from Europe might have sounded a similar alarm.

Unfortunately for the Native American DNA, very little remains.

(th)

#386 2023-01-26 09:49:15

Terraformer
Website

>The other side of the coin is the potential for a thriving, creative "really angry" population intending to rebuild and to surpass Russia in every way.

That... could happen. Israel has responded to the threat of its neighbours (and the trauma of the Holocaust) by armouring up and having lots of children. But they also have a solid religious foundation that helps. Does Ukraine have anything comparable?

But I don't think mass immigration would help them. Not unless the culture is so strong it overwrites the newcomers existing culture. AFAIK only America has achieved that in the sort of numbers we're talking about, and even then only partially. Integration is a multigenerational affair, *especially* in the old world with deeper roots. Going back to Israel, those making aliyah and those in Israel already had a shared culture, making it another outlier. And, of course, there are plenty of other places that can attract "young, energetic, creative people from all over the planet".

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#387 2023-02-10 21:35:29

Mars_B4_Moon

GoPro: Ukrainians Engage Russian Position in Bakhmut

https://funker530.com/video/gopro-ukrai … n-bakhmut/

#388 2023-02-12 15:58:38

Mars_B4_Moon

Ukrainian Medic Simultaneously Saves and Roasts Wounded Russian
https://funker530.com/video/ukrainian-m … d-russian/

Ukrainian Media Team Brags About Geneva Convention Violation
https://funker530.com/video/ukrainian-m … violation/

Drone footage released by Ukrainian forces shows the use of drone dropped CS gas cannisters against Russian forces which is a violation of the 1925 Geneva Convention protocol that prohibits the use asphyxiating gases against enemy combatants.

While CS gas is commonly used by law enforcement for riot control, and is even used against friendly troops in confidence training scenarios with CBRN gear, the gas itself is still prohibited by the 1925 Geneva Convention Protocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous or Other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of Warfare.

This video shows direct evidence of a low-level war crime by Ukrainian forces. The troops responsible for this specific CS gas attack should be reprimanded for their actions and the Ukrainian armed forces needs to start doing a better job of educating their Soldiers on the laws of armed conflict. Too often Ukrainian troops are left to their own devices when it comes to armament and modifications of their weapon systems, and this video is most likely a direct result of that lack of supervision.

While it would be easy to shrug this off as the Ukrainians simply playing a prank on their attackers, since CS gas really isn't all that bad, it does start the Ukrainian military down a slippery slope of violating the protocols set by the Geneva convention. The video itself could also be seen as justification for the use of such weapons by Russian forces.

It's worth noting, in a war without the Geneva Convention restraining the weapon systems of mankind, Ukraine will very quickly find themselves in a losing fight against Cold War era Russian bio-weapons, and NATO will be too paralyzed with debate to come to the rescue in time. This video is not the propaganda win the Ukrainian forces were looking for. In fact, it sets a dangerous precedent in the still escalating conflict between Ukraine and Russia. They really do not want to do this fight in MOPP 4, and I really don't want to see World War 3 kick off because of spicy vape clouds.

#389 2023-02-16 20:41:25

Mars_B4_Moon

Russian Appears to Enjoy White Powdery Substance
https://funker530.com/video/russian-app … substance/

some historical info on drug and alcohol addiction during war

G.I.s’ Drug Use in Vietnam Soared—With Their Commanders’ Help
https://www.history.com/news/drug-use-in-vietnam

#390 2023-02-18 12:35:20

Mars_B4_Moon

US: Russia has committed crimes against humanity in Ukraine

https://apnews.com/article/us-russia-uk … 398360c8ee

#391 2023-02-18 15:22:26

Mars_B4_Moon

Drone Records Russian Tank Accidentally Blasting Russian Troop with Overpressure
https://funker530.com/video/drone-recor … rpressure/

15 Minute Firefight with Russian Forces Captures on GoPro
https://funker530.com/video/15-minute-f … -on-gopro/

#392 2023-02-19 11:25:07

Mars_B4_Moon

Shell and Vitol accused of prolonging Ukraine war with sanctions ‘loophole’
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 … s-loophole

Poland ‘ready’ to send MiG jets to Ukraine if US leads a wider coalition
https://www.politico.eu/article/mateusz … ussia-war/

Russian ambassador: US trying to ‘demonize’ Moscow with crimes against humanity allegations
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa … legations/

Sweden warns against decoupling its Nato bid from Finland’s
https://www.ft.com/content/5cf233db-2da … dc40dde793

Dutch expel Russian diplomats, close trade mission
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 … de-mission

Some Russian units have suffered up to 80% losses in the east, Ukraine claims
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russian-units … 25654.html

Ukrainian Fires Rocket at Russian Positions
https://funker530.com/video/ukrainian-f … positions/

(NSFW) Russians Storm Trench, Execute Wounded Soldier
https://funker530.com/video/nsfw-russia … d-soldier/

Russians Violate Geneva Convention with CS Gas Grenades
https://funker530.com/video/russians-vi … -grenades/

Video released by Russian sources shows the use of K-51 tear gas grenades against Ukrainian positions just one day after a Ukrainian video showing the same thing surfaced. Guess which one the internet is mad about.

Yesterday we published this video showing Ukrainian forces using CS gas against Russian forces in order to smoke them out of their fighting position. Today, this video of Russians using the same CS cannisters has surfaced, which is just as much of a Geneva Convention violation..

Hopefully all of this stops at just CS gas. Unfortunately, we wrote out the rules of war because it's fairly predictable where this chain of combat ends. If you think a chemical war with Russia is a good idea, I urge you to hit up ChatGPT and ask it for a comprehensive explanation of Biopreparat. Or just Google it, either one is going to lead you down a pretty dark alley of super scary war stuff you didn't want to know existed.

GoPro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrcxrG-EHxk

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-02-19 11:35:24)

#393 2023-02-19 15:38:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems a renewed attacks are occurring as Russia once more tries to push a new offensive.

All the Ukrainians want is for Russia to leave all parts of the nation.

#394 2023-02-19 18:10:04

Mars_B4_Moon

In Munich, Western allies vow support for Ukraine amid frustration over slow pace of aid

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/munich-sec … rn-allies/

New Delhi Television site
Don't Forget Napoleon: Russia Tells France's Macron Over Regime Change Remark
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/dont-fo … 5881/amp/1

#395 2023-02-20 01:39:05

kbd512
Administrator

Mars_B4_Moon,

Before the Russians resort to using biological weapons in Ukraine, they might want to consider the possibility that using such weapons could easily wipe out their own people.  Russia has some of the closest major population centers to Ukraine.  COVID gave the world a glimpse of what biological weapons are capable of, and that virus is still killing people around the world to this day.

#396 2023-02-20 10:29:28

Mars_B4_Moon

Japan to give Ukraine $5.5B, host online G-7 plus Zelenskyy
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai … 16c1c5929a

President Biden Makes Surprise Visit to Ukraine
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p … 234682932/

#397 2023-02-20 16:07:56

Mars_B4_Moon

Japan to invite Ukraine president to G-7 online

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2023 … ay-pm.html

#398 2023-02-21 11:27:03

Mars_B4_Moon

(NSFW) ADDITIONAL FOOTAGE: 9 Minutes of Close Quarters Trench Warfare
https://funker530.com/video/nsfw-additi … h-warfare/

Russia Drops Massive Bomb On Avdiivka
https://funker530.com/video/russia-drop … -avdiivka/

Austria criticised for allowing 18 Russian MPs to attend security meeting
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ … eting-osce

Putin Suspends Russian Participation in Nuclear Pact with U.S.
https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/news-se … 221-92726/

Belarus claims Ukraine army groups have massed at border, risking its security
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-21/ … /102005682

Ukrainian in Fighting Position Watches Tank Crew Work
https://funker530.com/video/ukrainian-i … crew-work/

Russians Use Homemade Katyusha Rocket Launcher In Kherson
https://funker530.com/video/russians-us … n-kherson/

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-02-21 11:44:41)

#399 2023-02-22 08:28:05

Mars_B4_Moon

Host India does not want G20 to discuss more sanctions on Russia
https://www.reuters.com/world/host-indi … 023-02-22/

Swiss imports from Russia rose in January
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/s … y/48304388

Heineken still investing in Russia despite promises to stop
https://nltimes.nl/2023/02/21/heineken- … mises-stop

#400 2023-02-24 12:32:28

Mars_B4_Moon