New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-09-27 18:48:37

Mark Friedenbach

Re: Space Exploration Act of 2003 - Petition Congress to Support H.R. 3057

Hi all!  I'm moving this over from the thread in the Human Missions folder.

I've created an online petition to support the Space Exploration Act (www.SpaceExplorationAct.org).  The petition is written, but the rest of the site hasn't been finished (so you can't actually sign it yet).

What do you guys think?  I haven't shown the petition to anyone else yet, so I'm open to suggestions for rewording it if you guys have any!  Also, if anyone wants to help out, it'd be nice to have some images on the site (I'm a terrible artist).

#2 2003-09-28 18:34:58

Tyr
Banned

#3 2003-10-04 19:04:58

Mark Friedenbach

www.SpaceExplorationAct.org

It's launched!

(Special thanks to Tyr for the image links!)

#4 2003-10-07 19:15:56

TJohn
Banned

Mark, I hate to be a nit picker but the word solar is misspelled in the petition. 

quote:   "Expand our knowledge of the universe and our place within it. Did life ever take hold on Mars? How, exactly, did our solor system form?"

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#5 2003-10-07 19:20:27

TJohn
Banned

Forgot to add, very good idea for the site.   I hope that there are lots of people signing this.  What do you do once someone signs the petition?  Where does it go?

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#6 2003-10-08 02:38:28

Mark Friedenbach

Thanks TJohn, I just fixed it.  The signatures are stored in a database (MySQL) on the site's server, but of course they'll be printed out for actual copies of the petition.  What's done with the petition largely depends on what's done with the bill.  Right now the SEA is in the Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee, so you can expect copies to be given out to them (when there's a significant number of signatures).  Did that answer your question?

#7 2003-10-08 19:10:22

TJohn
Banned

It sure does.  Thanks.  Again, great site.

#8 2003-10-27 13:28:02

clark

Just heard back from one of my Senators. Boxer's team at least understood my questions, as Feinstein, given the same exact questions, gave me a two line blurb on NSF (she obviously needs some competant staffers, or they just dropped the ball). Of course, Boxer took several weeks longer to respond to my email than Feinstien. Now I will have to watch to see if the system works (for me).  big_smile

Here is Boxer's reply to me:

Thank you for contacting me regarding
funding for the research and development programs
of the National Aeronautics and Space
Administration (NASA).  I appreciate the
opportunity to review your comments.

During my years in Congress, I have been
committed to supporting NASA's space exploration
efforts, as well as aerospace research and
development programs. 

I believe that federal investment in NASA
research and development benefits both the public
and private sectors.  Therefore, I oppose cuts to
the NASA research and development budget.  Be
assured that when NASA funding comes up for
consideration in the Senate, I will work to
ensure continued investment in our nation's space
efforts.

Again, thank you for taking the time to
share your concerns about this important issue.
I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
                    United States Senator

Here is Feinstein's:

Thank you for writing me regarding the need to provide full funding for the National Science
Foundation. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

I understand that the National Science Foundation (NSF) has been essential in expanding our
knowledge and inspiring generations to push the boundaries of scientific progress. Currently, the
President's FY2004 budget proposal includes $5.48 billion for the NSF, which is a 9% increase from
the previous year. 

As the Senate considers funding for the National Science Foundation I will work to ensure
our continuing advancements in science and technology will not be neglected in the years to come.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write to me.  If you have any further questions or
comments, please feel free to call my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841.

Best Regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
               United States Senator

If anyone cares to, I urge you to contact your represenatives and let them know what your questions are, or what they are doing related to any particular interest you have (be it environment, health care, or space)

They will respond... eventually.  big_smile

#9 2003-10-29 22:04:39

Spider-Man
Banned
Website

The NSF...?  She got it wrong, unless you actually told her the NSF.  Shouldn't it be NASA?

#10 2003-10-30 10:25:20

Josh Cryer

Looks like you everyday typical prewritten response. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

Board footer