New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-04-01 16:11:29

Michael Bloxham

Re: The Mysterious History Of Mars - Explore the Ancient History of Mars

I stumbled across this online radio boadcast a while ago. What I heard surprised, even shocked me. With no further introduction, I want you to all please listen to the 66/40 series 'The Mysteries Of The Planet Mars'. RealPlayer is required.

The Mysteries Of The Planet Mars

- Mike,  Member of the [b][url=http://cleanslate.editboard.com]Clean Slate Society[/url][/b]

#2 2002-04-01 17:32:46

Adrian
Website

Editorial: Interesing though this topic may (or may not) be, it does not warrant three separate threads. One thread is enough, and so I have deleted the other two.

Personal: You may find that people on these forums and within the Mars and space advocacy community in general are not overly receptive to notions about faces on Mars, aliens and so on. This is not because we haven't heard the arguments for them before - we have. It is because there is a complete lack of solid, repeatable proof and as such it gives our communities a bad name.

I'm not saying that you can't discuss this here, I'm saying that people might not be receptive.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#3 2002-04-01 18:09:01

Michael Bloxham

Yes, sorry about those other two posts. I assure you I haven't posted hog-wash. Listen and find out! Fascinating stuff really. Although I do recommend you skip Part 3.

- Mike,  Member of the [b][url=http://cleanslate.editboard.com]Clean Slate Society[/url][/b]

#4 2002-04-02 15:59:27

Michael Bloxham

The radio boadcast answers some questions like,

Why did ancient civilizations fear mars?
Or how did Jonathan Swift write about Mars' two moons 151 years before they were discovered?
And was the tiny particle on the rock ALH840001 really evidence for life?

The answers to these question are really quite surprising, like Did you know that there is evidence in the writings of ancient civilizations that Mars passed by earth every 104 years? Imagine seeing mars in the sky 50 times the size of the moon!:0

I thouroghly recommend that you listen to this fascinating broadcast. Click Here to listen to The Mysteries Of The Planet Mars. RealPlayer is required

#5 2002-04-02 16:52:25

Adrian
Website

From my scant knowledge of Mars, I can say that:

a) Ancient civilizations feared Mars because it was red in colour (colour of blood/war) and also (I'm not sure of this) because it would weave back and forth across the sky.

b) Swift managed to predict the two moons by means of a simple sequence - he knew that the Earth had one moon and at the time, Jupiter was only known to have four. Therefore, Mars would have two (the sequence being 1, 2, 4, 8, etc...)

c) The jury is still out.

Thanks for your understanding though, and from your description of it the broadcast does sound quite interesting.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#6 2002-04-02 18:20:43

Michael Bloxham

Isn't it funny that in the transcripts of ancient civilization, Venus was never mentioned? As for people fearing mars because it was red in the night sky; Why would people fear mars because it was red? I think that theory is kind of silly. And yes, I agree, Swift could have easily made a lucky guess.

#7 2002-04-03 05:50:01

Shaun Barrett

I don't have RealPlayer so I can't play this stuff, but surely your reference to the lack of Venus in ancient tales doesn't mean you're trying to tell us that Venus had yet to burst forth from the bowels of Jupiter; a la Velikovsky?!!
   Carl Sagan did a very nice demolition job on Velikovsky in his book: "Broca's Brain". If you're going to stand up to investigation by someone like Sagan, you'd better have your facts right! Unfortunately, Velikovsky doesn't make the grade.
                                      smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#8 2003-09-28 21:49:53

RobS
Banned
Website

I'm skeptical of the claim that Venus wasn't mentioned. For a long time "the evening star" and "the morning star" were not recognized as one planet, so two different wandering stars were discussed. Latin had "Hesperus" and "Phosphorus" for example.

I can't comment about the other claims, but I will note that when I was working in planetary geology, us graduate students got a lot of laughs looking over claims of civilizatins on Mars and the moon. They were so stupid we just skimmed them. William Hartman's new book *A Traveler's Guide to Mars* has an excellent discussion of the Face of Mars, Inca City, and other natural phenomena. His book is really excellent; I highly recommend it.

-- RobS

Board footer