New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1876 2022-01-08 07:44:44

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

This is a follow up to post #1873

I'd appreciate some feedback on the NewMars Dropbox experiment.

I tried it on an older system today, and got a minimal page from Dropbox but no content.  I'm assuming this is because the older system cannot handle modern security requirements. 

I'll try the experiment later on a more modern system. 

Update later from a modern system: The result was disappointing.  Dropbox asked for a log in.

Text I copied from the Dropbox page did not paste into this quote.

What I have no way of knowing without help from another person is whether Dropbox would have shown the spreadsheet if a person had logged in.  this is disappointing ... I'd like the access to be as convenient as is provided by imgur.com.

After an image is uploaded to imgur.com, imgur.com provides a link to the image, and the image may then be viewed by anyone using the link.  I was (an am) hoping something similar is available using Dropbox.

Later: Troubleshooting ... a clue showed up in the Dropbox Help pages

Is the file in a shared folder?
If you’re on a Dropbox Business team and the file you’re trying to share is within a shared folder, the owner of that folder may have changed the settings so that links can only be shared with other team members. The team admin can also turn off the ability to share links with people outside the team.

Was your link banned?

This is indeed a shared folder ... perhaps the answer is to copy the file to an unshared folder.  I'll try that later today.

(th)

#1877 2022-01-08 11:40:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair ... we'll be through this batch of 77,000 posts or so by August.

For today, we appear to have a successful run to 11,700.

Completed Sequence for ID: 11700

Total Command Lines found: 34
Total input Lines in script: 94

Number of ID's processed: 300

Starting Number: 11401

Last Number of Run: 11700

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-08-2022 at 12:36:46
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:28

Total time of Processing: 02:21:56

(th)

#1878 2022-01-08 18:15:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

For SpaceNut re #95

First, it is good to see your ID in the active list, and I hope that means you are mending from the work related challenges you reported recently!

Not really I changed into my secret identity of superman I am chief cook bottle washer uber ect... I do not get to rest even on days off.
Good news is that its not getting any worse.

#1879 2022-01-09 09:31:36

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1878

Thanks for updates on Superman status!  Best wishes for a flood of energy to meet the needs!
This post is reserved for status of today's run to 12,000, which is in progress at 10:27 local time.
I am continuing to work on re-learning how to use Dropbox.  I had attained (modest) proficiency in 2011, when I was assisting another non-profit, but what i knew has faded, and it is entirely possible that Dropbox has changed procedure over 10 years.

Today, I am going to attempt to offer a link to a visual file created by GW Johnson.

>>> link goes here when I can capture it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hap1tv0odtjsg … t.png?dl=0

This file shows a space tug pushing against  a space craft, as we have been discussing offline.

A company that can offer both refueling on orbit, and both shove and capture services for 5,000 ton class vessels should have a bright future, if humans can avoid damaging themselves in coming years.

Update at 2022/01/09 13:55 local time ... the run to 12,000 appears to have ended, but I found a message indicating that the run was not trouble free.

The update was not performed, because the color parameters were not cleaned up properly.

I need to go back through the log to see if I can figure out what happened.

From looking at the screen, i deduce that the post did not update, so whatever was present is still there.

Meanwhile, it appears likely that other posts in the run were successful.

(th)

#1880 2022-01-09 11:57:45

tahanson43206

BINGO!   The image created by GW Johnson showed up!

I'd appreciate everyone who has an interest in seeing NewMars progress towards being able to offer permanently available educational material to please test the link.

Please ignore the Dropbox ad that may pop up.  See if you can see the diagram created by GW Johnson showing the evolution of his thinking.

We (humans) are on the verge of seeing major advances in thinking about movement in the Solar System, driven by the massive scale of RobertDyck's Large Ship!

(th)

#1881 2022-01-09 14:33:13

GW Johnson
Website

I clicked on the link and saw the image.  This stuff seems to work. 

Will find the file it came from and save a pdf version,  then send it to Tom. 

BTW,  the tug does the majority of the delta-vee.  The big ship has a rather small burn to make.  But,  if you use faster-than-Hohmann,  it adds solely to the big ship burn.  The tug is already max'd out by the orbital mechanics of the ellipse it goes into.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#1882 2022-01-09 21:54:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Special Request .... Zoom has been reliable for several weeks.

This evening it blew up on us, and there is no reason that i could find for it to fail.

I am guessing something happened on the Zoom end.

Please ask Executive Director James Burk to try to allocate some time to investigate.

In the past, we have had failures for specific reasons that I can identify:
1) The power ran out on the laptop that hosts the session. To fix that I turn the power supply one ** before ** starting. Power was on.
2) I made a change in the second login, when I was trying to start the audio feed. I have learned not to do that.

At the time of failure, I was listening to the audio via FM radio as usual.  The conference had been running for a couple of hours without problems.
GW Johnson joined at 21:30 my time, or 90 minutes in ... the failure occurred at approximately the 2 hour mark.

The system would not let us restart.

If you refer Mr. Burk to the Zoom topic, he will see the observations made by the attendees.

(th)

#1883 2022-01-10 12:09:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair ... we appear to have reached 12,300 without incident.

Just FYI ... occasionally I find the browser has opened new sessions due to disturbance in the normal flow of the script. On this occasion, there were no such additional tabs, and the screen showed a normal looking repair of 12,300.

Completed Sequence for ID: 12300

Starting Number: 12001

Last Number of Run: 12300

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-10-2022 at 13:04:57
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:28

Total time of Processing: 02:22:53

Please follow up with Executive Director James Burk regarding the Zoom failure last night.

Hopefully the log will contain a message from Zoom itself about what happened.

RobertDyck reported being able to re-open the Zoom, but I don't think any of us have a clue what happened or what to do about it.  I am glad RobertDyck and kbd512 were able to continue the session, but GW Johnson and I were locked out, and (at this point) none of us knows what we could have done to remedy the situation.

Specifically (and what I'd appreciate your asking about), the host status was removed from my workstation, and when I tried to log back in, the system said the host had to admit me.  I tried logging back in, and got the same message.

Thanks!
(th)

#1884 2022-01-11 19:31:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair .... 12,600 appears to be in the bag.

Completed Sequence for ID: 12600

Starting Number: 12301

Last Number of Run: 12600

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-11-2022 at 20:29:31
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:29

Total time of Processing: 02:24:39

We are dealing with winter chill.  I can't complain, after hearing RobertDyck report on what folks up his way are dealing with.

Hoping your family is coping OK.

(th)

#1885 2022-01-12 09:56:56

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair ... we appear to have reached 12,900 without a hiccup

Completed Sequence for ID: 12900

Starting Number: 12601

Last Number of Run: 12900

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-12-2022 at 10:48:18

Total time of Processing: 02:24:31

For SpaceNut ... if you read this far into the report ...

I've been thinking about the occasional hiccups that have occurred during Post Repair operations.

WBA doesn't report on what it cannot see ... and what it cannot see is the decision by FluxBB to reject a proposed repair.  I know that this has happened at least once, because the report by Chromium was on display when I opened the laptop after a run ended.

I think that it will be necessary to run the scan again after the repair sequence is finished, to find the small number of fails that (I suspect) exist.

On the other hand, you may be able to persuade FluxBB (somehow) to tell you which of the completed posts still need attention.

If the resulting list is small, and if you have both the time and the energy, you could repair the posts manually.

I suspect fails that have occurred are due to turbulence in the Internet.  The program has been stable since the repair series began, and the hardware is unchanging.  The only variable is packet flow, and ** that ** is (of course) subject to 1001 possible causes of damage.

There ** is ** a very small possibility that WBA is hitting some combination of bogies that it is not programmed to handle, but since the log does not report failure to update, I have no way of knowing.

Edit at Noon local time ....

I thought of something you might be able to ask FluxBB ...

The date of the most recent post edited was 12900.  A string to look for is (left bracket) c o l o r

You should find at least one post still holding a color parameter.

It is certainly possible that in our preparation for updates, we might have missed some configuration of the color parameter.

Regardless of how many you find, if there ** is ** a configuration we've overlooked, I'd like to add it to the script.

(th)

#1886 2022-01-13 08:14:39

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair ... this post is reserved for a try to reach 13,200.

Please see if you can pull up all the files made available in the new GW Johnson postings topic.

GW Johnson has a significant number of additional files to be made available.  I am hoping to get to them today.

Update at just before Noon local time ... I was able to link three more files from GW Johnson, but 4 have not yet accepted my requests that they behave themselves.  In the meantime, it appears we reached 13,200.

Completed Sequence for ID: 13200

Starting Number: 12901

Last Number of Run: 13200

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-13-2022 at 11:43:14

Total time of Processing: 02:25:58

We are working in the 2003 time frame.  If you have time, and can persuade FluxBB to accept your requests, please see if there are any unfinished posts in the series completed so far. 

I know there is at least ** one ** post that did not update because it had a problem with the (left bracket) color (right bracket) parameter.

(th)

#1887 2022-01-13 12:14:17

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... this post is about kbd512's "Practical" topic....

I decided to put it here so you can (if you have time) evaluate it to see if it is worth offering to kbd512

I've been thinking about the significant engineering challenge he will (eventually) solve.

The bearing that holds each habitat ring (from two to any number) must be able to handle massive thrust to leave or enter orbit around a destination.

However, between thrust events, it does not need to handle more than perturbations due to movement of masses inside the habitat rings.

What I'm thinking about here is the successful implementation of linear electric motors in levitated trains in several countries.  The magnetic fields in those trains are sufficient to hold significant mass away from the roadbed.  I expect the same could be true for habitats rotating around the core of a space vessel between thrust events.

If kbd512 designs his gripper "hands" for the habitat rings to incorporate both a mechanical piston arm type gripper, and a linear motor steady-as-she-goes method, he could eliminate the drag of the mechanical gripper between thrust events.

(th)

#1888 2022-01-14 07:22:40

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... the run to 13,500 is under way.  Hopefully it will go smoothly.

I just completed a work sesstion trying to set up links to GW Johnson files in our NewMars Dropbox account.

The session went much more smoothly than yesterday.  Either I'm getting back into the groove with Dropbox setup, or Dropbox itself needed time to set up new files so I could work with them.  Either way, there are several new links which I'd appreciate your testing if you have time.

Also, as a reminder, I'd be interested in seeing a NewMars Seminars topic in Meta if you agree with the concept, and are willing to serve as sponsor.

I could set up the topic, but it would definitely look better if it had your ID as the creator.

My initial idea for the new Seminar topic is to (try to) create YouTube videos with GW Johnson, to allow for his work to be shown to a wider audience.

I'm not sure how far a person could go with his Orbital Mechanics procedures, but I am confident it would be a good foundation for anyone wanting to advance to become a space craft navigator.  The great benefit of the approach GW Johnson has taken is that he is using ordinary spreadsheet software to perform the calculations.  Happily, practically anyone can work with a spreadsheet.  It is what GW Johnson stored in the cells that makes the difference.

Completed Sequence for ID: 13500

Starting Number: 13201

Last Number of Run: 13500

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-14-2022 at 10:26:11

Total time of Processing: 02:24:17

(th)

#1889 2022-01-15 10:28:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

Still sick but improving due to chest congestion and cough which is part of the omicron variant. Have continued to work each day as the covid days out of work were also exceeded but that's only 5 day for the non symptom which how do you know if you were already coughing. They do not even require a negative test to go back to work which would be what I would recommend but that is not what is being done. Which means you are still infectious and that is even true after 10 days for many.

The dropbox is working as I have checked even at work to see the content.

#1890 2022-01-15 10:46:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #1889 and several other topics ...

First, best wishes for your continued progress in recovery from all the airborne vectors that are trying to get some action in your system.  Hopefully the defenses you've built up by living in New Hampshire will soon put this latest batch out the door.

Second, thanks for your ** excellent ** choice of an alternative location for the disk shaped eVtol aircraft.  I am a ** bit ** concerned about all these models, that have free turning blades at person height as the vehicle takes off and lands.  I'd feel a lot better if there a skirt around the spinning blades, but the mass of that skirt might prevent flight.

Third! Thanks for checking the Dropbox links!  GW Johnson has proposed additional capabilities for his work on Atmosphere and the Orbital Tug concept, and I am hoping/intending to make progress today in re-learning how to make YouTube videos from Zoom recordings.

The immediate hurdle to be overcome has to do with transfer of large files (ie, Zoom recordings) between the various systems I use here.  There are subtle differences in file storage format that occasionally put a clinker in the work flow.

Fourth ... I read that thread from 2002 about Constitutional Monarchy.  clark was in full bray at that time, and he gave Josh Cryer a run for his money.

Neither one appears to have persuaded the other of anything, but clark showed his early capability as a party pooper. 

FYI ... I am thinking of starting a Rule of Law vs Rule by Force topic ... haven't decided whether or not to proceed.

Finally... I've been inviting you to consider setting up a NewMars Seminar topic under your ID.  This is something that can wait until you are feeling better.

GW Johnson is working on other projects right now, and we haven't discussed the seminar idea in any detail.

If it comes to pass, I have in mind capturing a learning session about one of his fields of expertise in a Zoom session, and then editing the session into a concise YouTube recording with links to the source files you have already seen.

A successful implementation of this idea ** could ** result in an educational opportunity for NewMars readers after we're gone, as long as Mars Society itself is still extant.

Completed Sequence for ID: 13800

Starting Number: 13501

Last Number of Run: 13800

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-15-2022 at 12:16:23
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:30

Total time of Processing: 02:28:32

(th)

#1891 2022-01-16 11:45:27

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair ... today's run to 14,100 appears to have completed without incident ...

Completed Sequence for ID: 14100

Starting Number: 13801

Last Number of Run: 14100

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-16-2022 at 12:36:17

Total time of Processing: 02:25:15

(th)

#1892 2022-01-16 17:43:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re personnel request....

kbd512 just asked for help finding two very specific volunteer associates to help him with "Practical" Large Ship.

He is addressing the very significant problem of hardware to support the counter-rotating habitat which is the key element of his design.

Please consider asking Executive Director James Burk for guidance on how we can reach the intended audience.

I estimate there are now thousands of highly educated aerospace and general engineering retirees who are in the sweet spot between retirement and senility.

We want to give them a worthy challenge, and kbd512 has shown what two such volunteers could work on.

(th)

#1893 2022-01-17 10:48:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Post Repair initiative

Completed Sequence for ID: 14400

Starting Number: 14101

Last Number of Run: 14400

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-17-2022 at 11:46:04

Total time of Processing: 02:24:25

(th)

#1894 2022-01-18 09:31:42

tahanson43206

Special item for SpaceNut ....

kbd512 appears (as nearly as I can tell) to be working in a direction that retired professionals may be willing to support on a pro bono basis.

I will continue to attempt to persuade SpaceNut to contact Executive Director James Burk to see if there is any chance the Mars Society can help with recruiting of retired professionals who will be willing to pitch in.

Mars Society has resources to greatly magnify our outreach efforts, should they find our efforts worth supporting.

They are already familiar with the very high quality of the work of GW Johnson, and there is a chance the work of RobertDyck and kbd512 can prove worth supporting.

What we can do (through you) is to ask for assistance, or at least guidance on how to qualify for assistance.

We're not talking about money changing hands here!  This is a volunteer organization, with a small paid staff.  The vast majority of persons involved with Mars Society activities are volunteers.

What we want to do in the immediate short term is to find people to help kbd512 with the two very specific requests he made.

Accordingly, what I am looking for is official Mars Society endorsement of a Personnel Solicitation for those two specific skill sets.

I believe (have confidence) that kbd512 has the leadership qualities that allow him to smoothly blend professional advice into his vision.

Demonstration of success in motivating volunteer worker/supporters will give the forum favorable visibility.

Completed Sequence for ID: 14700

Starting Number: 14401

Last Number of Run: 14700

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-18-2022 at 11:48:01
Average time of Loop from Main form: 00:00:30

Total time of Processing: 02:28:28

Total time Program was Active: 02:52:07

(th)

#1895 2022-01-19 11:59:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair...

The first posts by RobertDyck just showed up, in a knockdown-dragout fight with clark.

RobertDyck registered 2002-08-20, and had been posting (I'm sure) but this is the first time his post showed up on a 300 boundary.  Clark has been there several times,

We are working in the 2003-04 time frame.

Completed Sequence for ID: 15000

Starting Number: 14701

Last Number of Run: 15000

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-19-2022 at 12:48:51

Total time of Processing: 02:27:04

Total time Program was Active: 02:39:03

For SpaceNut re recent Mars Society MDRS report...

We also shared a lot of laughter – and it is important to note laughing together should not be considered a mere passing pleasure.  Studies have shown that shared humour is likely to play an important part in selecting the crews that will travel to Mars.  Laughter is a valuable interpersonal tool essential to coping with boredom brought about by prolonged periods of isolation, routine and social monotony. It enhances morale and serves an important communication function when expressing frustration or dissatisfaction in a socially acceptable manner, without causing additional stress or conflict.  Crews that laugh together have been shown to be significantly more productive and high functioning, as well as likely to remain “intact”, rather than split into cliques and subgroups.

Recently Void mentioned humor in connection with one of his posts.  I was thinking of that when the quote above crossed through the Internet on it's way to the NewMars forum.

(th)

#1896 2022-01-20 13:34:37

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... today's run to 15,300 appears to have gone smoothly...

We are in April of 2003 - Josh Cryer and Soph were corresponding at the 300 marker.

Completed Sequence for ID: 15300

Starting Number: 15001

Last Number of Run: 15300

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-20-2022 at 14:31:08

Total time of Processing: 02:26:19

(th)

#1897 2022-01-21 10:35:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair ... the run to 15,600 appears to have gone smoothly.

By coincidence, a long message from RobertDyck was #15,600.
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 600#p15600

I think this post is worth considering for RobertDyck Postings, if we have one.

It shows his active involvement with the Mars Society at the time.

Completed Sequence for ID: 15600

Starting Number: 15301

Last Number of Run: 15600

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-21-2022 at 11:34:10

Total time of Processing: 02:29:49

(th)

#1898 2022-01-22 12:28:20

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair ... the run to 15,900 appears to have gone smoothly.

Josh Cryer was on the screen when the run reached 15,900.  I think that Josh deserves his own "postings" topic.

He was talking about dealing with the collapse of civilization in that post.  That is the entire focus of Dr. Dartnell's Knowledge forum, which is keyed to his book on the subject.

The language Josh was using back in 2003 is remarkably similar to the language of those who have been discussing how to prepare for collapse in the knowledge forum.

A point that Josh made back then was about how civilization (or at least particular technology) could be rebuilt with a clean slate, so that subsets that were important in the evolution of technology are not re-introduced.

Completed Sequence for ID: 15900

Starting Number: 15601

Last Number of Run: 15900

Summary for Web Automation Report for 01-22-2022 at 13:19:22

Total time of Processing: 02:27:46

One of the major categories of discussion on Dr. Dartnell's forum is rebuilding civilization (as on Mars).

My view is that it is probably a good idea to start civilization on Mars a bit earlier than the current day.

This has been discussed before in ** this ** forum.  It would probably make sense to build computer networks out of components that can be manufactured on day 1 on Mars.  That would imply someone packs a chip fab in one of the transports, and then ships only computer components that can be repaired by the chip fab.

(th)

#1899 2022-01-22 14:08:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

clear another hundred of my posts from the end of 2004 into early 2005 today.

x-43B image
020723x43bb52.jpg

looks like a single stage to orbit vehicle.

#1900 2022-01-22 18:12:19

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Posts Repair ....

Thanks for working on those posts!  The WBA program is back in April of 2003, so you have a welcome head start!

This post is reserved for tomorrow's run to 16,200.

225,493,586 km [24.4 km/s] at 8 AM

(th)

Board footer