New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-04-16 11:46:55

clark

Re: Low Cost rockets being developed - SpaceX - Falcon $6 million dollar rocket

http://www.space.com/news/elon_musk_030416.html

Internet Entrepreneur Sets His Sights on the Satellite Launch Market
By Leonard David

Big picture agenda

SpaceX plans to develop a large three-stage rocket using the first and second stages of the Falcon vehicle as its second and third stages. That vehicle would compete in the heavy lift payload class occupied by Europe's Arianespace, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, China Aerospace and Russia?s Krunichev.

For Musk, there's a big picture space agenda on his plate. That is, lofting payloads to the Moon, Mars, and other destinations. "I'm disappointed that we have not made more progress since Apollo. I don't even see a plan that says we're going to do better than Apollo?to exceed that goal," he said.

"It has been freak'n decades ago that we got to the Moon. That is very disappointing. And the number one issue is the cost of access to space. If you can nail that one, then I think that's the key to the log jam," Musk suggests.

"Falcon is not the end game. It is the opening move," Musk concluded.

background information can be found here:

http://www.spacex.com/

look at news updates.

What is striking is the overall business plan is a classic example of small business using a niche market to develop in, thereby avoiding the larger companies notice. If the niche develops, the company will then be in a position to challenge market dominance of the alrger competitors.

If Musk can deliver on his promises, it would cause an increase in LEO sciences by private enterprises and priave research groups.

The Mars Society could conceivably meet these financial costs and launch their own space research.

#2 2003-08-25 07:13:17

Shaun Barrett

For an up-to-date interview with Elon Musk on this very topic, see this site.

He's due to launch in less than 6 months. Falcon will place 1400lbs in LEO (200kms, 28.5 deg., circular). Heavy Falcon, with two strap-on liquid boosters, will orbit 4000lbs.
                                         cool

If this is old news to others here, I apologise in advance.

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2003-08-25 14:52:47

Free Spirit
Banned

Great interview with Elon Musk.  I think we might finally be entering the era of cheaper space access.  I just hope the markets start looking up for this sort of thing.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#4 2003-08-31 01:40:35

Spider-Man
Banned
Website

Nice find, Clark.  I hope it happens.

Board footer