New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-10-14 19:46:21

louis

Dim Prince acting for globalists condemns space tourism

Most Britons wish our (not very bright) Royals would keep their noses out of politics.

Prince William has now come out and criticised space tourism because...er...because...he can't really think of a good reason. Got to save this planet first. Well that's an argument against all tourism, really, not just space tourism. But then William is very thick. Problem is the Royals are always jetting off to nice places for holidays. They like their holidays.

Space tourism is going to be vital to making us a space-faring species. And that in turn is going to be vital to achieving all sorts of things which will help save this planet e.g. using off planet resources from the asteroid belt, developing green energy further eg with orbital solar and finding new ways of doing things e.g. agriculture which will allow us to feed humanity without robbing animals of their habitat.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2021-10-14 23:36:12

Calliban

Re: Dim Prince acting for globalists condemns space tourism

louis wrote:

Most Britons wish our (not very bright) Royals would keep their noses out of politics.

Prince William has now come out and criticised space tourism because...er...because...he can't really think of a good reason. Got to save this planet first. Well that's an argument against all tourism, really, not just space tourism. But then William is very thick. Problem is the Royals are always jetting off to nice places for holidays. They like their holidays.

Space tourism is going to be vital to making us a space-faring species. And that in turn is going to be vital to achieving all sorts of things which will help save this planet e.g. using off planet resources from the asteroid belt, developing green energy further eg with orbital solar and finding new ways of doing things e.g. agriculture which will allow us to feed humanity without robbing animals of their habitat.

Fully agreed.  There has been a lot of criticism of William Shatner's space flight 'flying around' at present.  There have always been plenty of fools prepared to criticise what they see as expensive joy rides, not having the imagination to see the longterm picture.

Back in the 16th century, England was in the midst of an energy crisis.  Deforestation, mostly for charcoal production, had depleted England's forests to the point where many peasants died from cold every winter.  It was at this time that England and other great European powers, chose to build a transatlantic fleet of ships that ultimately allowed colonisation of America and opened up trade with the carribean, Asia and the East Indies.  It would have been easy at the time to criticise these programmes as a waste of resources, as they did not directly address the enormous problems of the English population.  Yet the new resource that empire brought into Britain would drive the industrial revolution and enriched and expanded the entire population.  How different would life be today had the elites of those times listened to foolish voices like Wlliam's?

Whilst rocket takeoff looks dramatic, space programmes in all nations, really are just rounding errors in total human use of energy.  For anyone to think we would be noticeably better off without them shows a real misunderstanding of how human development really works.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#3 2021-10-18 20:13:50

Void

I was asked, (not personally), to post this material:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAngryAstron … ow_spacex/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Pr … 66A7DD4BE1

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Pr … orm%3DQBVR

I have been holding my words.

Still I can refer to someone who was a Britton and then American.  I held what he said all this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Cooke

As I recall, he said that the southern English being Anglicans, others could not go
to their Colleges, which I believe were heavy on training in dead languages.

So the people of the north made their own technical schools, and became the inheritors and drivers of the industrial revolution.

The ruling class wanted nothing to do with dirty industry.  They wanted farms where servants could clean the barns, pay rents, and bring hot toddies.

So, be suspicious when princes and princesses talk about "Green".

To them we who do things they likely cannot very well understand are just low people probably with plumbers butts.  Undesirables.

They will craft cages and chains of words.  And they will lead you to poverty, and
a lost chance for a fabulous glory in the future.  They only want to exist, that which they can control.  That is my theory.

But we are rather fortunate, as in my analysis, this is not their time, it is ours, off and on dominantly for 512 years.  So, take hope.

Crazy.  OK.  What will be real will be real, not because I said it but because something greater will cause it.

So, when they tell you to accept continuing rape, be sure to tell them what you think about it, or just get away from them and say nothing.

They are quite dangerous.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2021-10-18 20:22:30)

Done.

#4 2021-10-19 09:57:04

Void

To become a bit more polite, I also sort of frowned on Space Tourism, and also, I
was not that fond of the notion of point to point Starship.  But, I have recosidered.

There is a need to understand what wealth, money, defered consumption, and consumption
really mean.

I think it is very unlikely that Elon Musk will cause a rise in the price of food that
may be significant.  If you want to be healthy, you only eat so much food.  So, being
a vastly rich person should not be that much of a stimulus for inflation of food that
the less wealthy wish to buy.

The first thing required is to understand that if we are going to have a new industrial
revolution, that almost certainly will involve space travel.  That then requires the
devalopment of rocket parts such as engines.  This will also involve increasing robot
productivity as well.

So, I guess after all a servant population, which may or may not be the end of us.

Anyway, back to space tourism.  Taking the case of New Shepard.  With space tourism,
rich people pay for a experience.  I assume that Blue Origin intends to have a profit.

So, what is consumed for the most part?  Hydrogen and Oxygen.  We have air to breath,
so that does not seem a problem at this time.

But keep in mind that all through this process of creating a ride machine, people
with developing technical skills are getting paychecks.  So, some of the defered
consumption of the passengers goes to them.  Also Blue Origin hopes to capture some
of the defered consumption of the passengers.

Further, with the greater perfection of the machines, the human race will aquire and
inherit those improved tools.  And to do this no-one had to tax the poor or middle
class to stimulate this process.

As for point to point travel, it is much the same.  We can keep in mind that if you
don't have that, then I guess you are burning jet fuel, to move people around.

--------

It is not by killing industry that the human race will recieve needed wealth, but by
stimulating an industrial revolution.

Without the previous one, our lives would be miserable.

We should never consent to be governed in these matters by those who have no industrial
experience.  People of words need to back off and let people of vision and hands
get something done that may be of use.

Done.

And I don't think your Prince is dim, I just consider that perhaps he should have another look.  We have plenty of people here in the USA that also should have another look.

Really done.

Done.

#5 2022-08-06 10:13:42

Mars_B4_Moon

What would Manuel II of Portugal think?

1919, the Monarchy of the North was proclaimed in Porto, monarchy would be deposed a month later and no other monarchist counterrevolution in Portugal has happened since. 5th day of October 1910 revolution was the overthrow of the centuries-old Portuguese monarchy and its replacement by the First Portuguese Republic, the end of the King and Queens and the result of a coup d'état organized by the Portuguese Republican Party.  After the republican revolution in October 1910, the remaining colonies of the empire became overseas provinces of the Portuguese Republic until the late 20th century, when the last overseas territories of Portugal were handed over. Most notably in Portuguese Africa which included the overseas provinces of Angola and Mozambique of which the handover took place in 1975, and finally in Asia the handover of Macau to China in 1999. Many other failed coup attempt in the 1910s and 1920s, a dictator Salazar meets with Spanish dictator Francisco Franco,  in the 60s the Hindu of India takes land back, a failed rightwing coup revolution and Protgual goes more left in the 1970s. In August 1968, Salazar suffered a cerebral hemorrhage on his right hemisphere. resident Américo Tomás considered that the 79-year-old prime minister would die soon; on 25 September, he dismissed Salazar and replaced him with Marcelo Caetano, Carnation Revolution  Revolução dos Cravos  was a military coup by left-leaning military officers that overthrew the authoritarian Estado Novo regime, then Portugal is one of the founding member of the EFTA – European Free Trade Association. The Portugese country divested itself of almost all of its former colonies and experienced severe economic turmoil. During the 90s and 2000s an increase in wealth and lifestyle, the official infant mortality rate below the European average,  these days they celebrate things like Soccer or the Eurovision songs.

America's celebrations?

Funfair, Carnival atmosphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNaJc_Igag
At Coney Island

Businessman Mário Ferreira becomes first Portuguese space tourist
https://www.heraldnews.com/story/news/l … 241642002/

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-08-06 10:26:29)

Board footer