New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-09-15 06:49:28

Mars_B4_Moon

The JoeBiden & KamalaHarris Space Policy

There have been many previous threads on the Space policy of other Presdients, for example Trump of Obama of George Bush jnr aka George Walker Bush 43rd President. The President Bush jnr is the one who has more or less set the current path for Mars, he unveiled a vision for space exploration, the ISS was unfinished the Chinese had started putting men in space, it was about getting the Shuttle back in action, the Shuttle loss that occurred on February in Year 2003. The 43rd Bush vision was about launching missions to the Moon and using it as a stepping stone to Mars, the mission was about finishing the ISS and launching new ground breaking expensive complex missions like TPF, JWST, with costly wars on multiple fronts and an endless war on Terror and Economic issues looming there would actually be $2 billion less for space science and $1.5 billion less for exploration that what was previously planned, Astrobiology was cut, Aeronautics was cut down, a mission to europa the Moon of Jupiter was cut, a Gravity Wave mission LISA was cut, the MSR mission delayed .

There was talk on newmars and other space science forums if this vision would work, talk on the policy before Bush of Clinton, even with a growing economy NASA’s budget actually decreased during the time that Bill Clinton was president, there was discussion of George H. W. Bush and his vision the 'Space Exploration Initiative' a 1989–1993 space public policy initiative and talk on other long ago President like Dwight D. Eisenhower and going back to the classic Apollo era and Project Gemini and JFK, and discussion of visions from private scientists and political policy that lead to the Viking missions, the Space Stations, the Shuttle, the Voyager and other missions.

Should we already be there living on Mars if politics were different?

Some historians believe JFK and Wernher von Braun had plans for Mars.
http://astronautix.com/v/vonbraunmarpedition-1969.html
Crew 12, Mars Surface payload-metric tons: 5 , Outbound time-days: 270 and Mars Stay Time-days: 80 Return Time-days: 290

Budget I'm not sure about Apollo money I forgot the figures but the cost of the War in Iraq and Afghanistan could have funded multiple Apollo style missions including a mission to Alpha Centauri and back, if you stacked the bailout money in single US Dollars like a sky scraper they would stack up here to the Moon and back. The next recession and 8 Trillion was used to Bailout America during the 2008 Bush-Obama era recession, they also bought up $700 billion worth of mortgage-backed securities. NASA's budget for financial year for 2020 was $22.6 billion. That number represents less than half of one percent of the $4.7 trillion the United States planned to spend in the fiscal year

There have been few dedicated discussions to the Biden admin policy

On March 19, 2021, President Joe Biden announced his intention to nominate Nelson to lead the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I believe Bill is a solid guy on space exploration this is a good thing for America.

Personally
I didn't vote for Biden or Trump or Obama or Bush or anyone. I don't care too much on that system since I am not an American, I've been around the US I've met people there and I have friends there in the united States of America and I guess I would prefer if America gets to Mars first. I don't really back anyone in 'human colonization' but I would be more happy if the United States landed on Mars first.
However if India or China or Russia or Japan or Italy or Germany or S.Korea some other place were to magically race ahead with some super-space ship and beat NASA to Mars, then I guess 'so be it'.

Getting back to the Biden Admin

Join Space Team Biden: Apply For The National Space Council Users' Advisory Group
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2021/09/j … l#comments
Red planet scare
https://www.thespacereview.com/article/4181/1
Harris to place “personal stamp” on National Space Council
https://spacenews.com/harris-to-place-p … e-council/
An aggressive budget for more than just Earth science
https://www.thespacereview.com/article/4186/1

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-09-15 10:48:48)

#2 2021-09-15 08:25:50

kbd512
Administrator

Re: The JoeBiden & KamalaHarris Space Policy

For the next three years, we don't have an actual space policy, because space exploration can't be used as a political weapon against their political enemies in any practical way.  Anything that doesn't funnel money into the districts occupied by their voter base is simply a dead program, because it won't receive any funding.  If it's not telling white people that they're evil because they're white, or there's no victim / oppressor narrative to fabricate to further their agenda, namely total political control into perpetuity, then it may as well not exist.  This is no different than the space exploration policy of the Soviet Union.  If it wasn't a propaganda tool that could be used to paint the Soviet Union or communism in a positive light, then it ceased to be of interest to the communists.  I fully expect NASA to focus on "fighting the boogeyman" for the next 3 years.

#3 2021-09-15 09:28:53

louis

The NASA budget has been something like $20 billion for many years now. I may be a few billion out...but it's a very substantial sum. It is clear from the example of Space X that NASA could have got to Mars 20 years ago or more with that sort of budget. But rather than focus on a few key projects, NASA has pursued a defuse approach which has spread the budget too thin. If we'd had a Mars base for 20 years all the money frittered on various probes could have been consolidated into the Mars project.

NASA is not fit for purpose which is why a long time I suggested it should have been split into firstly a Mars and Lunar Exploration Agency tasked with setting up human bases on those bodies and secondly a Space Science Agency which could pursue all the other 1001 projects that interest NASA scientists and bureaucrats.

The two agencies would have had far more impact than the single NASA.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2021-09-15 09:57:39

tahanson43206

Submitted to the VP web site:

Dear Vice President Harris:

This message is impelled by the doubt of some that you and President Biden do not have a space policy.  I think you have so much on your task list that space doesn't show up very high.

I'd like (as an ordinary citizen) to try to help.

The Mars Society has been around for a while.

SpaceX and Elon Musk have announced intentions to send people to Mars, and they have succeeded in sending a Tesla Roadster into a Solar orbit that extends past the orbit of Mars.

I am a moderator (Junior Grade) in the NewMars.com/Forums.  NewMars is an activity of the Mars Society.

Dr. GW Johnson is a retired aerospace engineer who has (bravely in my estimation) decided to attempt to define an activity that would (if fulfilled) lead to landing a number of small engineering probes on the surface of Mars, with launch date in September 2022.

Dr. Johnson is (I understand) in the process of constructing the specifications for a global competition to design/build/test engineering landers to (a) dig for water and (b) pound the soil to determine suitability for landing humans in 2025.

Here is my ask:

Please consider allocating $100,000 (or more if appropriate) for support of any college, university or high school which decides to attempt to design/build/test a pair of robots to handle the requirements of the challenge.

Best wishes for success in all your endeavors!  I am one of many who are counting on your growth and development to be able to handle the top job when the time comes.

(th)

(th)

#5 2021-09-15 12:18:51

tahanson43206

For the record .... This is most likely an automated response ...

It seems (to me at least) highly unlikely that every message posted to this site could possibly be reviewed by a person.
There would simply be too many.  Still, it's nice to know a "friendly" computer processed the message, encrypted it, and stored it in the cloud.

September 15, 2021

Thank you for contacting the Biden-Harris Administration.

President Biden and Vice President Harris value every opportunity to engage with the American people, and the Administration is grateful for your outreach. Our country faces many challenges, and messages like yours help us better understand how the Biden-Harris Administration can serve American families.

We take careful note of the suggestions, thoughts, questions, and stories we receive, and we’re working hard to ensure you receive an appropriate response.

Sincerely,

The Office of  Vice Presidential Correspondence

#6 2021-09-15 13:12:56

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

If you want an actual response, then explain to them how a Mars colony will win them the next election or how it will put more bribe money in their pockets, because otherwise they simply don't care about you and never will.  I'm not "doubting" that they have a space policy, I already know flat out, period and end of story, that they don't have one, because it's not on the agenda.  Unless someone from the media asks a question about it, and then they will simply start making things up on the spot.  Your Mars colony is not an agenda item.  Until you explain how they can tax it into oblivion or pay off their billionaire bundlers, it never will be.  Small minds focus on people, average minds focus on events, and great minds focus on ideas.  For the past four years, every muppet in the clown show was focused on one and only one person, no matter what else was going on in the world.

These are the Democrat Party's agenda items:

1. stay in power
2. lord power over political enemies while spend other peoples' money
3. send kickbacks to wealthy campaign donors and bundlers, in order to stay in power

Take note of what's not on that list.

Those are the only "core values" that I've ever seen good evidence for, that the Democrat Party demonstrates on a routine basis.  If at any time you were expecting something else, then you'll continue to be sorely mistaken.  After they get elected, they could care less about what their voters want, and either flat out ignore what the other half of the country wants or actively seek ways to antagonize them.

Let me tell you what will actually happen:

They're going to use the media to deliver another round of emotionally-fueled neuro-linguistic programming psychobabble, which weak minds will always buy into (weak-minded people frequently claim to think for themselves, then promptly follow that lemming herd right over the edge of the cliff, then demand that someone from the government to protect them from themselves), everyone who voted for them the last time is going to eat their plate of party ideology brain droppings again and beg for seconds, because they're going to promise the moon, and then deliver what they've always delivered since I've been alive.  It's only comical in the sense that people who fancy themselves as "educated" or "worldly" keeping buying into their special brand of BS.  I must conclude that some people enjoy being peed on while being told that it's raining.

Why do the freakin trees keep burnin to the ground in hippie dippy land?

Because the automatons keep voting for bat guano crazy fruitcakes who deliver the moronism they crave, and even those loony toons know what actually gets votes.  They have fear-based manipulation down to a science, and it works like charm nearly every single time.

Q: What's that definition of insanity?
A: Trying the same thing, over and over and over again, expecting a different result.

What are we doing now?

Trying the same silliness over again, expecting a different result.  This time will be different, this time it's going to work, this time the tiger will change its stripes.  Yeah, and pigs will fly.

#7 2021-09-23 10:52:58

Mars_B4_Moon

Elon Musk swipes at Biden over his silence: ‘He’s still sleeping’

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/09/20 … g-1136992/

https://www.ibtimes.com/elon-musk-slams … he-3299637

Musk mocks Biden after SpaceX completes first all-civilian mission

#8 2021-09-23 17:30:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

tourist civilians are paying but a real civilian is one going to work

#9 2021-12-02 07:56:14

Mars_B4_Moon

Another Reagan era Weaponization of space is coming if you like it or not,  in the 80s there was SDI politics derisively nicknamed the "Star Wars program"?

Biden administration turns focus to space security

https://spacenews.com/biden-administrat … -security/

At the first meeting of the Biden administration’s National Space Council Dec. 1, Vice President Kamala Harris said a top concern is keeping space safe for military, civilian and commercial operations. 

Harris said efforts to establish “rules and norms for responsible behavior in space” will be one of three main priorities for the council, along with using space to help combat climate change and expanding STEM education.

The Defense Department will have a prominent role shaping the discussion over space norms, which has gained significant attention following Russia’s Nov. 15 missile strike that blew up a satellite in orbit.

DoD lacks a Senate-confirmed space policy leader at a time of heightened tensions over Russian and Chinese advances in counterspace technology. In a policy document released Dec. 1, the administration noted that foreign rivals of the United States view space as critical to modern warfare and anti-satellite weapons increasingly pose a threat to U.S. assets in orbit.

more money for weapons?

Less for the Moon and Mars??

Also more news, from the Washington Post owned by Bezos?

'Daily Attacks'

Space Force General says daily attacks on US satellites are 'Sending a Message'
https://www.spacewar.com/reports/Space_ … e_999.html

in 2019 a Russian satellite flew close to "a US national security satellite," with the Americans unsure if it was going to attack or not. However, the Russian satellite then backed away and conducted a weapons test. Still, Thompson believes it was a "message."

"It maneuvered close, it maneuvered dangerously, it maneuvered threateningly so that they were coming close enough that there was a concern of collision," he told The WaPo. "So clearly, the Russians were sending us a message."

He also voiced concerns about China, with Beijing being "well ahead" of Russia and "fielding operational systems at an incredible rate." According to his estimations, both Moscow and Beijing are working on satellites that are capable of attacking other satellites - something that could trigger an arms race in space.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-12-02 08:01:18)

#10 2022-04-20 06:15:43

Mars_B4_Moon

NASA plans talks with partners on ISS and Artemis

https://spacenews.com/nasa-plans-talks- … d-artemis/

words from Carl Sagan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmamPItLdOY

'In shadow of Ukraine war, Russian astronauts install robotic arm controls on International Space Station'
https://www.wionews.com/science/in-shad … ion-471985

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-05-08 06:11:52)

#11 2022-05-12 08:21:17

Mars_B4_Moon

Biden Admin Launches Investigation into Elon Musk over Twitter Purchase
https://slaynews.com/news/biden-admin-l … -purchase/

#12 2022-05-19 13:53:55

Mars_B4_Moon

Tesla Cut From S&P 500 ESG Index

Elon Musk Tweets "It's A Scam"

https://www.marketwatch.com/

China, US Are Racing to Make Billions From Mining the Moon's Minerals

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/china … 06763.html

#13 2022-06-07 10:18:40

Mars_B4_Moon

Gateway

Continuing to see great progress from NASA_Gateway. The Power & Propulsion Element, which uses highly efficient NASATechnology solar electric propulsion, is undergoing testing at NASAGlenn to characterize its performance before finalizing design.
https://twitter.com/JimFree/status/1532447970809069578

New JPL Director Faces Old JPL Directors' Cost Issues
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2022/06/n … recto.html

"Q: JPL has an incredible record of success in robotic missions. But you've had a lot of cost overruns with the Mars rovers, and we're seeing it again with Europa Clipper, which will now cost an estimated $5 billion. What steps can JPL and other centers take to stop getting surprised by cost increases?

A: You're raising an issue that is high on my agenda here. Technical performance at JPL--amazing. Cost and schedule performance, especially on cost, we have not done as well. What's behind that? Of course, the answer is, it's complicated. It can be hard to understand and write down early on all the requirements that drive cost. How do we get better at that and start to systematically look at where we are missing? I want people to know that I take it seriously, because we're spending American taxpayer dollars here. And also, there's a lot of good science to do and when missions don't meet their cost milestones, that means something else probably is getting delayed because as far as I know, there are not infinite resources."

The LockheedMartin crew module team at NASAKennedy and AirbusSpace service module team in Bremen, Germany are making great progress on #Artemis III spacecraft which will carry NASAAstronauts to land on the surface of the Moon!
https://twitter.com/NASA_Orion/status/1 … 5434491909

Biden wishes Elon Musk 'lots of luck on his trip to the moon' and touts Ford's electric vehicle program

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-wishes … 52546.html

Too many distractions
supply chain issues, ISIS and the Taliban is back, War in Ukraine, gasoline prices etc

So the Blackmail and Laptop rumors were true afterall?

Nude Hunter Biden cavorts with hooker, illegal gun in latest mess for president
https://nypost.com/2022/06/06/naked-hun … un-photos/

The Hunter Biden laptop controversy involves a laptop computer that was allegedly dropped off at a repair shop in Wilmington, Delaware, by an unidentified person in April 2019 and never collected. The New York Post published a story stating the allegation three weeks before the 2020 United States presidential election, and president Donald Trump seized on it in an attempt to engineer an "October surprise". The laptop was of unclear origin and contained emails obtained by Donald Trump's personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, and other materials relating to Hunter Biden, some of which were later confirmed as authentic. The discovery of the laptop spurred speculation as to whether it supported what became the Biden–Ukraine conspiracy theory, which falsely alleged then-Vice President Joe Biden acted corruptly in Ukraine to protect his son from a corruption investigation by Ukrainian Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin.
On October 14, 2020, the New York Post published an article about a purported meeting between then-Vice President Joe Biden and Burisma advisor Vadym Pozharskyi. The article was based on an April 2015 email from Pozharskyi to Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden, who served on the board of Burisma, thanking Hunter Biden for inviting him to meet his father in Washington, D.C. The Post claimed the email showed Joe Biden was untruthful when he claimed he had "never spoken to [his] son about his overseas business dealings" and claimed to have evidence in support of the Biden–Ukraine conspiracy theory regarding the reasons for the firing of Viktor Shokin. The Biden campaign denied Joe Biden had any meeting with Pozharskyi and said that if they had ever met, it would have been a brief encounter. Witnesses at the dinner where they allegedly met said Biden briefly passed by to see an old friend. The Post reported in its story that Pozharskyi declined to comment, and he didn't comment to a Politico journalist who reported extensively on the story a year later.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ … ion-515583

The anatomy of a delay: Here's a timeline of twists and turns for NASA's SLS and Orion programs
https://www.planetary.org/articles/2017 … -sls-orion

Nelson's Gay Pride Tweets
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2022/06/b … ns-pr.html

House committee questions proposed delay in NASA asteroid mission
https://spacenews.com/house-committee-q … d-mission/

Does Anyone Know Where The National Space Council Is Hiding?
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2022/06/d … l#comments

The UAG is still in limbo. If anyone knows what is going on please feel free to post in the comments section or tweet a comment.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-06-07 10:35:11)

#14 2022-06-11 10:34:06

Mars_B4_Moon

Biden wishes Elon Musk 'lots of luck on his trip to the moon' and touts Ford's electric vehicle program

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-wishes … 52546.html

#15 2022-06-17 10:19:22

Mars_B4_Moon

A timeline of Elon Musk's political stances and donations before his latest embrace of the Republican Party
https://yahoo.com/news/timeline-elon-mu … 03249.html

Meeting China’s Space Challenge
https://www.heritage.org/asia/report/me … -challenge
The United States faces its greatest space competitor since the dawn of the Space Age in the form of the People’s Republic of China (PRC).

#16 2022-07-09 18:54:52

Mars_B4_Moon

Russia Is Using ISS For Overt Propaganda

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2022/07/r … l#comments

#17 2022-07-11 03:15:01

Mars_B4_Moon

On Monday, July 11 at 5pm ET (21:00 UTC), President Biden will unveil one of the space telescope's first images of deep space as a preview of what's ahead

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1546290906046816256

#18 2023-08-08 08:11:04

Mars_B4_Moon

Mongolia, US to sign 'Open Skies' deal ahead of talks

https://www.reuters.com/world/mongolia- … 023-08-02/

Resource-rich Mongolia has extensive deposits of rare earth minerals and copper, which are critical materials in short supply as Biden looks to electrify the domestic auto market.

Oyun-Erdene, who studied in the United States, said the two countries would also sign agreements to deepen cooperation in outer space and strengthen their economic cooperation, with an eye to expanding trade.

He said direct flights between the two countries would begin in the second quarter of 2024, offering a "great opportunity" to promote trade, tourism, business and investment.

#19 2023-08-08 08:27:30

Mars_B4_Moon

ISS transition plans a work in progress

https://spacenews.com/iss-transition-pl … -progress/

#20 2023-08-08 08:29:47

Mars_B4_Moon

Biden administration distances itself from Pentagon official who bashed UFO hearing

https://wfin.com/fox-national-news/bide … o-hearing/

#21 2023-08-08 08:54:06

Mars_B4_Moon

That NASA-Mongolia Meeting That No One Knows About

https://nasawatch.com/policy/that-nasa- … ows-about/

Board footer