New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-09-03 15:50:45

Void

Multi-Input air battery

I have been considering a different usage of Nuclear, as in Fission.

As a hot water generator.  To be assisted by other means as convenient and
desired, to heat a water reservoir of significant size.  That then to be
promarily to heat up liquid air as a means of power production for a grid when
it can be useful.

I have noticed others suggesting hot water reservoirs.

The type I am most interested in are solar ponds, or brine volumes at the bottom
of oceans or sea, or similar artificial impoundments on Mars.

So, I see this as being useful on at least Earth and Mars, potentially.

For Earth a very high standard of reliability for the nuclear device will be
very important.  For Mars, there could be more liency.

For Mars, in it's current condition, it seems totally required that the reservoir
must have a proper covering to avoid boil and evaporation.

For Earth, most people live near coasts.  For the East coast of the USA, enclosures
in the intercoastal waterways might work.

For the Great Basin, perhaps the great salt lake being shallow, impoundments might
work.  Of course there are other costal and desesrt areas where this could be
possible.

So, something like this for those locations:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_pon … th%20depth.
Wind may tend to mix stratified layers, which could be bad.  Still maybe it can be done in places without a covering.
Quote:

A solar pond is a pool of saltwater which collects and stores solar thermal energy. The saltwater naturally forms a vertical salinity gradient also known as a "halocline", in which low-salinity water floats on top of high-salinity water. The layers of salt solutions increase in concentration (and therefore density) with depth. Below a certain depth, the solution has a uniformly high salt concentration.

For places like the UK, and costal Europe and else, then submerged salt ponds under significant layers of water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brine_poo … ep%20ocean.
Quote:

A brine pool, sometimes called an underwater, a deepwater lake, or a brine lake, is a volume of brine collected in a seafloor depression. The pools are dense bodies of water that have a salinity that is three to eight times greater than the surrounding ocean. Brine pools are commonly found below polar sea ice and in the deep ocean.

So, we might borrow from the Finns:
https://polarnightenergy.fi/technology

They intend to store power scrapps as heat in sand.  Here I am suggesting brine layers.

Power scrapps would occur when electricity needs are less than production of electricity.
But other heat sources might also be used as well.  Wind, solar pannels, solar thermal.
And perhaps add Nuclear Fission hot water.

The point here is you do not make electricity with a nuclear process, rather you make electricity by heating the output
of an air battery.

Involved in this could be the extraction of Oxygen, Nitrogen, Argon, ect from air on Earth.

On Mars perhaps atmospheric separations.  This type of system might be pretty good for Mars.

In order to maintain the brine stratifications, I anticipate the production of distilled water as an additional output.

I expect the reactors to be as fail safe as possible and means to fix spills to be easy.  I am not saying I know how.  I am just saying it needs to be so.

I may worry about spelling a bit more later.  I am busy at this time.

Done.

Done.

Board footer