New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-02-28 20:18:37

tahanson43206

Analog Science Fiction & Fact analogsf.com

There doesn't appear to be a topic set up for Analog, and since the magazine has been promoting thinking about space for 75 years, I hope that a few NewMars forum readers will be interested in occasional updates on recent content.

The current issue of Analog Science Fact and Fiction arrived yesterday, in an envelope from the USPS … it had been shredded in a sorting machine.  We are still getting payback from the era of the previous President, apparently.

The issue contains an article about aging (in humans but possibly other animals as well), and I'm planning to (try to) offer a synopsis after I've finished reading.  The author is a noted science writer with a long career in physics, so the reader is in good hands.

The opening section reports on something called the Horvath Clock, which (if I understand correctly) is a mechanism by which the human body's cells switch functions on or off as the organism ages.   The author reported that an analysis of his DNA showed a correlation between the aging predicted by the Horvath Clock analysis and his chronological age were in agreement by 2 years.

The hint of a promise in the opening of the article is the possibility that humans might learn how to adjust the clock, but I'm only on page one, so will report back later on how the "story" turns out.

Edit#1: If anyone is interested, the issue with the DNA article is:

Analog Science Fiction & Fact
March/April 2021
Vol CXXXXI Nos. 3 & 4
The Alternate View
John G. Cramer
Page 75

The web site is analogsf.com

They sometimes show content from the current issue as a teaser.

(th)

#2 2021-03-01 18:04:17

tahanson43206

Re: Analog Science Fiction & Fact analogsf.com

This is a follow up to the earlier post about Dr. John G. Cramer's "Alternate View" article on the Horvath Clock.

The bottom line is that prelimnary results of trials of various treatments in small animals seems to show promise.

Trials of larger animals are planned, and at some point trials with humans are likely.

The article describes the research in detail, and I came away with the impression the changes reported that appear to "tell" cells to age are programmed by nature, and not a result of aging.

The point was not brought up in the article, but it has long been observed that forced release of power to the next generation appears to be beneficial for the human race. 

While extension of life for an individual is attractive, and I expect the research will be well funded, I'm less confident that wholesale extension of life for the human population would be good.

Science fiction writers have been struggling with this dilemma for many years.

Perhaps a robust breakout into the Solar System would be an event that would coincide with dramatic increases in life span, and thus the disadvantages of prolonged life would be reduced.

On the assumption there might be at least one forum reader who would like to see the article by Dr. Cramer, and the references he used, I am happy to be able to report that the entire article is available for viewing by the public at analogsf.com.

Look for Alternate Vew: Rejuvenation and the DNA Methylation Clock John G Cramer

(th)

#3 2021-04-28 07:51:15

tahanson43206

The 2021 May/June issue of Analog is available for sample viewing at the web site: analogsf.com

Of possible interest to members of the NewMars forum is an "Alternate View" column by (Dr.) John G. Cramer

"Intelligent Life in Our Galaxy"

The cover story is about a possible future on Earth (above it to be exact) in which the Kessler Syndrome is in effect.

(th)

#4 2021-04-29 10:51:00

tahanson43206

In an attempt to contribute to the initiative of Oldfart1939 in the Human Missions Index, I have collected a (somewhat random) assortment of issues of Analog from 2013 to present, with the intention of reviewing the Science Fact articles to see if there might be hints in the organization or content about how to write for the requirements of Analog's Science Fact feature.

The editor is a tough grader, and the 100,000+ subscribers world wide are a tough audience, so publication of the 17 person Expedition article is not assured.

However, (on the other hand) the subject matter is timely and it is (likely) of considerable interest to the Analog audience. 

Should the article be accepted, it will be recognized as a work product of the Mars Society, which (generously) supports this forum.

The 8 person version proposed by Noah is also potentially of interest.

I both cases, a support team that remains in orbit while the landing party takes the big risks seems like a ** really good ** idea!

For that, we have the potential of RobertDyck's Large Ship, which will be sized appropriately to support an expedition on the scale of 120 people, since it is intended to transport 1000 people in it's intended transport service.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-04-29 10:52:48)

#5 2021-04-29 17:20:47

tahanson43206

The very first issue of Analog I chose (at random) from stacks of them, turns out to be especially helpful for the purpose I have in mind for the current series of posts:

The issue was published for January/February of 2013.  The Science Fact article is by Michael F. Flynn, a writer known to the Analog audience for his may science fiction stories. 

The article he provided in this issue is entitled: The Great Ptolemaic Smackdown and Down-and-Dirty Mud-Wrassle

To my delight, it turns out that a pdf photocopy of the article is available for free to the public:

https://faculty.fiu.edu/~blissl/Flynngs.pdf

Rather than take the time myself to analyze the article as a model for the work Oldfart1939 has undertaken, I'm hoping at least one currently registered member of the NewMars community will study the online pdf and report back with:

1) Number of words
2) Count of images or drawings (if any)
3) References provided by the author
4) Footnote count (if any)
5) Whatever else the reviewer may think would be helpful to Oldfart1939 as he plans his work

I'd like to offer thanks to Michael F. Flynn for writing the article in the first place, and then for making it available to the public!

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-04-29 17:21:09)

#6 2021-05-02 18:02:02

tahanson43206

This post is one of a series I am planning, to look at a variety of Science Fact articles accepted and published by Analog SF&F.

This one is from the November 2013 issue.

The author is Thomas A Easton, another popular author at Analog (and elsewhere).

Note: The author adds footnote:  1 "With the obligatory nod to Arlan Andrews's 1992 Analog article on the same topic.

Title: 3D Printing and Dancing Bears

Google came up with several citations about Mr. Easton when I asked about the story ...

Thomas Easton - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Thomas_Easton
Easton, Thomas A. (Nov 2013). "3D printing and dancing bears". Science Fact. Analog Science Fiction and Fact. 133 (11): 19–23.

Analog Science Fiction and Fact, November 2013 - Publication
www.isfdb.org › cgi-bin

... 3D Printing and Dancing Bears • [Science Fact (Analog)] • essay by Thomas A. Easton; 24 • Make Hub, Not War • [The Hub Gates] • novelette by Christopher L.

Summary Bibliography: Thomas A. Easton
www.isfdb.org › cgi-bin

Author: Thomas A. Easton Author Record # 1173; Legal Name: Easton, Thomas ... Will Shake Up Manufacturing (2008); 3D Printing and Dancing Bears (2013).
Stories, Listed by Author

www.philsp.com › homeville › FMI
... 3D Printing and Dancing Bears, (ar) Analog Nov 2013 · * The 3D Trainwreck: How 3D ... “Biolog: Thomas A. Easton” by Jay Kay Klein, (bg) Analog Apr 1980 ...

TOC: Analog, November 2013 | SF Signal
www.sfsignal.com › Books

SCIENCE FACT: “3D Printing and Dancing Bears” by Thomas A. Easton. POETRY: “Motherhood and Apple Pie” by Robert Lundy. READER'S DEPARTMENTS:.

Thomas Easton
amp.en.googl-info.com › ⓘ T › homas Easton

Thomas A. Easton is a teacher and well-known science fiction critic and author. He retired as a ... Easton, Thomas A. Nov 2013. "3D printing and dancing bears".

Thomas Easton - WikiVisually
wikivisually.com › wiki › Thomas_Easton

Thomas A. Easton (born 17 July 1944) is a teacher and well-known science fiction critic and author. He retired as a ... "3D printing and dancing bears". Science ...

The article is five pages long (19-23) .... There are 16 footnotes, most of which are links to references.

The article includes mention of a research team in the UK that was (in 2013) working on the ability to print crude circuit boards. 

I would describe the tone of the article as entertaining and breezy, with plenty of dig-into-it content for readers.

(th)

#7 2021-08-14 09:39:00

tahanson43206

The September/October 2021 issue of Analog arrived ...

The Table of Contents of the previous issue (July/August) is available on the web site (analogsf.com)

NOVELLA
THE UNLIKELY HEROINES OF CALLISTO STATION, Marie Vibbert

NOVELETTES
THE NEXT FRONTIER, Rosemary Claire Smith

SAMPLE RETURN, C. Stuart Hardwick

LONG DAY LAKE, Joe McDermott

SHORT STORIES
THE HEROES OF THE NATION, Brenda Kalt

MANDATORY ARBITRATION, Leonard Richardson

SILICONISIS, Tom Jolly

TIN MAN, Edd Vick & Manny Frishberg

HUMILITY, James C. Glass

THE LAST FAREWELL, Alan K. Baker

ROCKET, Frank Wu

REASSEMBLY, Audrey Ference

MINNIE AND THE TREKKER, Raymund Eich

FLASH FICTION
SEED BOMBS, Juliet Kemp

THE FIRST MARTIAN WORLD WAR, Herb Kauderer

SCIENCE FACT
RETURN TO THE GOLDEN AGE: WHY VENUS MIGHT ACTUALLY ONCE HAVE BEEN HABITABLE, Richard A. Lovett

SPECIAL FEATURE
TAMING THE SERPENT, Edward M. Wysocki, Jr.

LIKE SCHOOL, BUT THERE’S NO RECESS: AN INTERVIEW WITH KATIE MACK, Alvaro Zinos-Amaro

POETRY
A DAGUERREOTYPE OF THE MOON, Jennifer Crow

WHEN I THINK OF MY FATHER, Bruce McAllister

READER'S DEPARTMENTS
THE 2020 ANALYTICAL LABORATORY RESULTS

GUEST EDITORIAL: HELLO TO MATURITY, John J. Vester

THE ALTERNATE VIEW, John G. Cramer

IN TIMES TO COME

THE REFERENCE LIBRARY, Don Sakers

BRASS TACKS

UPCOMING EVENTS, Anthony Lewis

(th)

#8 2021-08-14 09:49:50

tahanson43206

This post is about the September/October 2021 issue of Analog ... When the table of contents is available I intend to post it here.

In the mean time, I'm encouraged to see the following item in the Table of Contents ...

Orbital Nuclear Power system (ONPS): the foundation of an Interplanetary Civilization, Donald Wilkins.

If anyone either inside or outside the NewMars community would like to see the article, the magazine should be arriving at your local library soon. 

There are 12 references:

1 Hoffert
2 Mankins
3 Gdoutos
4 Links to what appear to be free resources
5 Criswell
6 Criswell
7 Criswell
8 Cook
9 Strozier
10 free resource on fusion
11 Almoneef
12 Lancashire

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-08-14 09:50:35)

#9 2021-10-23 19:56:07

tahanson43206

This post is about the November/December 2021 issue of Analog Science Fiction and Fact.

The science fact article in this issue is directly related to the "Nuclear is Safe" topic, and to any topics we have about Global Warming.

Title: Will Nuclear Power Save Us From Global Warming?

Author: Christina De La Rocha

The article is filled with facts.  Of particular interest to me were projections of what it would take to replace ** all ** power delivery on Earth with nuclear fission reactors.  Fusion is mentioned only in the context that is is not yet available.

Details about debris created by controlled fission are abundant.  The author covers reduction of some radioactive material, as Calliban has done in numerous posts.  The author also goes into detail, explaining how chains of "daughter" materials are created, and how long the half lives are for several of them.

Further reading suggestions include:

BP Statistical Review of World Energy, 68th Edition
(https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/ … nergy.html)

The future of Nuclear Power in a Carbon-Constrained World: In Interdisciplinary MIT Study
(http://energy.mit.edu/research/future-n … ned-world/)

Global energy transformation.  A roadmap to 2050.
(https://www.irena.org/publications/2019 … 019Edition)

Global Warming of 1.5 C. Amn IPCC Special Report. (https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/chapter/spm/)

On a long term strategy for the success of nuclear power. Energies 10: 867 (2017)
(https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/10/7/867)

Endnote #7 may be of interest to some members of this forum.

The article makes an estimate of the number of fission reactors that would be needed to replace all carbon based power.

The endnote reads:
7 The number would be even greater if the newer plants were smaller than current ones, which is a possibility.

(th)

#10 2022-02-19 19:52:05

tahanson43206

tahanson43206 wrote:

The latest issue of Analog Science Fact and Fiction includes a fact article by Dr John Cramer, on AI.

We (in the NewMars forum) occasionally reveal that our knowledge of Artificial Intelligence is a bit out of date.  This article may help to update our understanding of the field as it exists today. 

It also has a word (or two) of warning about the veracity of output from an artificial neural network.  We have plenty of trouble with veracity of pronouncements by human neural networks.  Now it appears we will have to worry about artificial ones as well.

https://www.analogsf.com/current-issue/ … nate-view/

The piece by Cramer is offered at no charge to the Internet public.

(th)

#11 2022-08-25 18:24:19

tahanson43206

The issue of Analog for September/October 2022 just arrived.

It includes a story about DART .... the NASA probe that is intended to impact the small companion asteroid that is circling a larger one.  The impact is expected to very slightly affect the orbit of the small object, and the disturbance of ** it's ** orbit is expected to very slightly change the orbit of the larger object.

The story is by Jerry Oltion, who's been writing for Analog for as long as I can remember.  The story is followed by this text:

Jerry Oltion would like to thank Trevor and Emily and the rest of the Analog crew for expediting this story so it would see print before the DART mission whacked the asteroid in real life.  The target date is September 26th, which will probably make this the fastest-obsoleted story in the history of science fiction. Or perhaps the most prophetic?

I am delighted to be able to report that the entire story (or at least the opening) is available for free viewing at the magazine web site:

analogsf.com

Page down the main page to:

Shepherd Moons
by Jerry Oltion

I am going to click on the Read More button to see what happens ...

OK! the teaser is long enough to possibly entice a reader to order the magazine inline, or perhaps look for it at the nearest public library.

The story is deftly handled ... I'll admit that I was caught by surprise at several points, and after all these years of reading Analog, that's saying something.

(th)

#12 2023-01-31 13:07:01

tahanson43206

In 2018, Analog started a blog, but the "news" of the new service just ** now ** (in 2023) reached my awareness.

The mechanism was a half page ad on page 95 of the current issue [January/February] 2023

The url to the blog is: https://theastoundinganalogcompanion.com/

This appears to be a Wordpress blog, but I'm less than certain on that point.

The text in the first entry is:

ANABLOG
February 13, 2018 Emily Hockaday
Welcome to the new Analog Science Fiction and Fact companion blog—Starting with our March/April issue, we’ll be regularly rolling out an exciting line-up of author interviews and guest posts to complement the on-sale issue. Take a peek behind the curtain and hear about story gestation, the writing process, as well as author opinions and tips.

Whether you’re an Analog reader looking for the story behind the story, or an up-and-coming writer trying to break in, new content and insight will be up twice a week to sate your appetite. Check back with us next week, February 20th for our first guest post!

—The Editors

Share this:

(th)

#13 2024-02-18 22:18:02

tahanson43206

The latest issue of Analog just arrived, and it contains an article about asteroid intercept that includes developments that may be new to one or two NewMars members. 

Happily, the article is published in full at the analog web site...

https://www.analogsf.com/current-issue/ … nate-view/

I will quote a bit of the article in hopes it will inspire a NewMars member to open the link.

THE ALTERNATE VIEW
Defending Against Killer Asteroids
by John G. Cramer

On Thursday, July 13, 2023, a sizable undetected asteroid (subsequently named “2023 NT1”) was headed for the Earth from the direction of the Sun and just missed a collision. It passed within ~100,000 kilometers, about three times further out than the orbits of geosynchronous satellites. Because the Sun is an astronomical blind spot, this very close encounter with near-Earth asteroid 2023 NT1 wasn’t discovered and tracked until two days after the near miss.

The asteroid is estimated to have a diameter of ~34 meters, a mass of ~52 kilotonnes, and a speed of 11.27 km/s. (Note: a metric tonne is 1,000 kg or 2,204.62 lb.) If asteroid 2023 NT1 had impacted the Earth’s surface, it would have liberated energy equivalent to ~1.5 megatonnes of TNT, about 100 times the energy as released by the Hiroshima bomb, and it could have caused very significant local damage.

(th)

Board footer