New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#576 2021-06-27 19:15:02

Void

Re: When Science climate change becomes perverted by Politics.

Oh, I dream of going all the way in to the Great Basin.

Some apparent misunderstandings.  I don't intend to elevate the average level of the Salton Sea, rather to drop through hydroelectric generators sea water to make power at night, and to then pump water up out of it to the higher elevation of the sea.  Hydro Electric energy storage.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/water/pumpe … hydropower

It is a good place to start, to see if it can be done per politics.

I would like a simulated tide, usually low tide during the day, and high tide during the night.  This should not trigger earthquakes.

The salinity of the Salton Sea will matter.  Usually most fish cannot reproduce with a salt level above 2X that of the ocean.  This matters, as it may be desired to control anticipated invasive life forms from the ocean into the Salton Sea.

As for the Salton Sea being a mistake in 1905, OK, fair enough, but that body of water has by my reading existed off and on into history.

What we think of as "Natural" is an illusion.  Really the Great Basin had very large lakes during the ice Age.  It was not that there was more precipitation, but that evaporation was inhibited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bonneville

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bonn … le_map.svg

If we can cool the skies while drawing solar power, we can reduce the amount of moisture that leaves the Great Basin.

If we can control evaporation from the ground, we can reduce water losses.  If we have solar intercepting devices on the ground, we can cool the ground  and reduce evaporation.

But the Salton Sea would be a nice starter.

Perhaps indeed, some day the Boring Company will have tunnels even to pump water up to where it is wanted.  If we have Fusion or Space Solar power, perhaps that can happen.

------

The high plains where the wind is is another fun game.  Later.

Done

Last edited by Void (2021-06-27 19:26:14)

Done.

#577 2021-11-24 10:11:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Rather than fixing the amount of co2 exhaust from burning fuels its now onto other games of credits and sequestering.
Giant pipeline in U.S. Midwest tests future of carbon capture

Summit Carbon Solutions, a company he'd never heard of, wanted his permission to conduct survey work for a 2,000-mile pipeline it planned to route through his Iowa corn and soybean fields.

The project, dubbed the Midwest Carbon Express, had ambitions to become the world's largest carbon dioxide pipeline, moving climate-warming greenhouse gases from Midwest biofuels plants to North Dakota for permanent storage underground.

Underground geological formations in the United States have the potential to store 2.6 trillion tons of planet-warming CO2, enough to cover all of America's historical emissions and those to come for centuries, according to the Department of Energy.

#578 2022-01-12 22:05:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

The US government spent $1.1 billion on carbon capture projects that mostly failed

GAO report. "DOE’s process for selecting coal projects and negotiating funding agreements increased the risks

Sad that companies not from America can do this but not so from here....

#579 2022-01-12 23:33:45

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Without knowing what the true impact of those foreign carbon capture projects was, we can't determine whether they were successes or failures.  All such projects come with a lot of "happy talk" marketing attached, and most of it is pure BS.  Tangible results deemed worth the money spent are significantly more difficult to achieve.

#580 2022-01-15 10:57:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

#581 2022-01-15 15:32:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Most are doing the capture by using extra energy that does add to the cost to make the fuel from the capture but where its being used the best is to make use of a natural thermal source to make the power you need to keep the costs much lower.
Lauded as the world’s largest operational system for carbon capture and storage, the Orca plant in Iceland has been up and running since 8 September 2021.

Within two years, 95% of the anthropogenic CO2 injected in a storage formation was mineralized, contradicting the prevailing view that such a process would take up to 1 000 years (Hertig et al., 2021; Box 11.2).

The report relates how the successful pilot project was run at the CarbFix injection site near Reykjavik. Massive volumes of ‘sour gas’ emissions containing high levels of contaminants such as carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulphide were captured after being released together with geothermal fluids from the Hellisheidi power plant. These emissions were then mixed with water and pumped back from whence they came.

This technique has since become commonplace. The CarbFix method is used to clean and store underground one-third of the annual 40 000 tonnes of CO2 flowing through gas turbines. Through the same process, two-thirds of the released hydrogen sulphide are also safely deposited in the subsurface.

Iceland launches world’s largest plant to capture carbon from air

In Iceland, CO2 sucked from the air is turned to rock

Iceland Using Geothermal to Remove CO2

#582 2022-01-15 16:32:50

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

If you expend the considerable quantity of energy to capture the CO2 in the first place, then why not expend a little more to turn it back into useful fuel so that you then need to extract less new fossil fuel to maintain the infrastructure we already have?

If you capture CO2, then you could sell it to someone who can turn it into fuel.

If that particular process of CO2 fixing happens 500X faster than what science predicted, then does that call into question some of the other scientific assertions about how fast these CO2-fixing processes actually happen?

I can sort-of understand "being off" by 1 order of magnitude due to lack of familiarity with this new process we've developed, but "being off" by 2.5 orders of magnitude is very significant.

#583 2022-01-29 16:46:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

#584 2022-02-23 10:07:58

Mars_B4_Moon

I'm not sure what's going on, maybe the Hunter Laptop rumor is true or Biden is blackmailed by some Occult transexual mafia?

Take a Walk on the Wild Side.... dude looks like a Lady?

It's weird how as you get old you no longer see people's artish quirky stuff but you begin to understand they might be part of some pevert club, did anyone see that horror movie THE SHINING, in the movie there is a scene where this bear costumed furry man is doing something weird with some old dude sitting on the bed, I didn't read the book but I think there was some weird 'dog costume' story in the original Stephen King book.

Anyways away from hollyweird and back to our clownish reality

Biden administration’s laser-focus on diversity draws scrutiny and some gasps
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 … ty-draws-/

Joe Biden admin hires role-playing fetishist for nuclear waste post
https://www.mystateline.com/news/politi … aste-post/

Biden taps non-binary drag queen to look after nuclear waste
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … waste.html

New Biden Dept. of Energy hire is a nonbinary drag queen — 'an asset,' say queer activists
https://sg.style.yahoo.com/new-biden-de … 52610.html

The guy who helped block all the Trucks at the Ports?

Pete Buttigieg accepted $250,000 and gifts from mayoral campaign donors who were later awarded $33million in city contracts, raising concerns of 'pay to play' as Transportation Secretary doles out $210billion in infrastructure plan
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … mayor.html
Other city contractors gifted the mayor cigars, alcohol and golf trips

Joe Biden appoints a proven pervert Sam Brinton
https://www.weeklyblitz.net/politics/bi … m-brinton/
Sam Brinton is also involved in “puppy play,” which apparently involves grown men putting on dog masks and behaving like animals for sexual kicks.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-02-23 10:20:56)

#585 2022-02-24 09:29:38

kbd512
Administrator

Mars_B4_Moon,

Forgive me, but what does this have to do with climate change?

You should know that radical leftists either do not know or do not care that skin pigmentation, genitalia, and sexual preferences are never qualifications for any job, but especially important and/or potentially dangerous jobs, such as deciding how and where to store our nation's nuclear fuel that we refuse to reprocess because doing so would put the Uranium mining industry out of business for the next century or two.  If President Biden's staff happened to locate a transvestite who is competent to direct the handling of nuclear waste, then good for him.  All that matters is competence.  If Sam Brinton is competent, then I could not care any less about what he does with his free time.

I continue to remain totally unconcerned with what consenting adults choose to do with their free time.  So long as it's legal, why do you care what Sam Brinton does in his bedroom?  Does it affect you in any way?  If so, how?  I'm married to a woman.  If my neighbor happens to be gay, does that change my marriage to my wife?  To my knowledge, it's never affected what we choose to do in our bedroom.

The only thing appointments like this are intended to "put on display", is the radical left's assertion that what Sam Brinton does in his private life is somehow normative, which everyone else knows couldn't possibly be any further from the truth.  99% of men do not put lipstick on, wear dresses, and pretend to be dogs while having sex.  That said, so what if 1% of the population does?  Is it our job to ostracize them for being different, or to allow our government to involve itself in matters that they have no business being involved in?  I thought America was founded on the principle of limited government and government steering clear of the personal lives of its citizens.

The rest of the word salad they make up as they go along is merely to tell everyone else how "different" and "special" they are.  I don't even know what "nonbinary" is supposed to mean, nor do I have any interest in learning about whatever made-up nonsense these people spew.  In the interest of full disclosure, I'm also a computer programmer who deals exclusively in binary systems.  Sam can claim to be a puppy dog if he wishes to, but I'm not going to indulge his fantasies by playing his games.

#586 2022-03-19 20:39:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

'Not a good sign': The temperature was 70 degrees above average near South Pole, a troubling record while areas of the Arctic are more than 50 degrees warmer than normal, scientists say.

#587 2022-03-27 10:39:12

Mars_B4_Moon

NASA emails reveal internal discussions over calls to rename James Webb Space Telescope
https://www.space.com/nasa-james-webb-s … estigation

She has been accused of supporting 'CRT', the jihadi types and a supporter of pedophiles

Jackson’s Failure to Define ‘Woman’ Indicates She Won’t Protect Females on Supreme Court
https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/03/24/ … eme-court/

Satellite data shows entire Conger ice shelf has collapsed in Antarctica
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ … antarctica

#588 2022-04-14 19:10:08

Mars_B4_Moon

The Fantasy SJW Politics of Wakanda?

‘Decolonise’ maths by subtracting white male viewpoint, urges Durham University
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 … es-durham/
A new guide says professors must question themselves if they are citing work from ‘mostly white or male’ mathematicians

Why is Durham trying to ‘decolonise’ maths?
https://www.spectator.com.au/2022/04/wh … ise-maths/

#589 2022-04-14 20:04:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

So an attempt to remove bias in work by adding in more bias....

#590 2022-04-18 04:16:08

Mars_B4_Moon

Transgender Rugby Player Allegedly Injured Female Athletes
https://ijr.com/transgender-rugby-playe … ed-female/

iPhone update adds 'pregnant man' emoji, other gender neutral cartoons
https://www.peacefmonline.com/pages/loc … 464786.php

Germany Wrestles With Dependence on Russian Fossil Fuel
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/germa … 55025.html

The Sad Truth: America Has No Energy Policy
https://www.americanthinker.com/article … olicy.html

Abrupt Global Climate Changes Depended on the Atmospheric Levels of Carbon Dioxide, Study Finds
https://www.azocleantech.com/news.aspx?newsID=31518

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-04-18 04:25:39)

#591 2022-04-18 13:24:38

kbd512
Administrator

Mars_B4_Moon,

America does have an energy policy under President Biden.  The policy is to run ourselves out of oil and gas so that there is no alternative to energy poverty and thus economic poverty for the majority of the populace.  That will make those who survive The Hunger Games dependent upon government for handouts.  Democrats need that to maintain power.

Wind and solar account for 2% of the total energy supply at a global scale.  The notion that we will scale that up by a factor of 25X to 50X over the next 10 to 20 years is laughable.  There is no serious effort to do this.  The Biden Administration's plan is to implode America's economy in the name of "saving the planet".  I guess that's what Democrat voters want, because that's what their politicians keep delivering.

#592 2022-04-18 14:01:54

Calliban

The next US president is likely to be a republican and we may very well see a return of Mr Trump, assuming that his health holds out that long.  I hope and pray that he will be the president that gets a grip on the issues that have halted nuclear power development in the US.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#593 2022-04-18 14:37:53

kbd512
Administrator

Calliban,

I will settle for any President who is capable of understanding basic math and formulating an English sentence, of any political persuasion.

no energy production + no investment in energy production = poverty, famine, disease, and death

Anyone who can't understand that simple math equation is a moron or an ideologue or both.

At this point, even President Trump is preferable to anyone that the Democrats would actually vote for.

Voting President Trump out of office was the worst mistake America made since they voted for President Bush or President Obama.

#594 2022-04-20 19:41:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

#595 2022-05-14 19:11:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Tuvalu, sinking in the Pacific, fears becoming a superpower 'pawn'7ad90e2d0a3eec541af90a03f4f7333e

So these are tiny islands through out the Pacific Ocean.

10810298-3x2-700x467.jpg

#596 2022-05-14 23:48:21

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Science brought us lots of things, but not all of them have been terribly useful.  Our own government, and Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, under Dr. Fauci, funded an inordinately dangerous medical experiment using a genetically manipulated corona virus that went on to kill millions of people around the world.  Our government's medical establishment is NOT supposed to create new diseases to justify their existence or doling out more tax payer money for ill-advised medical experiments.

To date, nuclear weapons haven't killed nearly as many people as that stupid medical experiment / stunt gone awry.  Why were a bunch of labcoat-wearing monkeys who fancied themselves educated and intelligent, ever allowed to dink with something that had the potential to wipe out humanity?  We're lucky beyond belief that what they decided to screw with wasn't nearly as lethal as something like MERS, or we wouldn't be having this asinine debate about science right now.  You'd be dead, I'd be dead, and every third or fourth person on this planet would be dead.  If that's what science will deliver to us, then no I don't "believe in" science, because I'm not religious.  Science either does something demonstrably useful for us, or I have no use for that kind of "science".

There's been no reckoning for that stunt, either.  Dr Fauci is still receiving paychecks from our government after his actions blatantly and repeatedly violated his Hippocratic Oath as a medical doctor, both before and during the pandemic.  He even wanted to hand out more of our tax money for the next round of idiotic "science experiments".  Nothing has actually been learned by him or others so far as I can tell, except how to mass murder people using their own money to do it.  If that is what "I AM SCIENCE!" is delivering to us, then some of us don't think we need any more of that.  We don't question gravity or basic scientific principles, but when science is used for evil purposes, we don't see the need to genuflect in front of the evil scumbags who mass murder people "in the name of science".

The left views science as a form of religion to replace the religions of antiquity.

The right views science as something done for a specific purpose with a specific useful outcome in mind.

Science is neither savior nor scourge.  Science is amoral in nature.  Only people can be moral or immoral.  Religion that I consider to be useful must teach right from wrong.  Useful religion, as I define it, will never derive from science as a result.  Oddly enough, I think the same thing about weaponry, which happens to be a "product of science".  The weapon itself, unless it is capable of reasoning, is neither friend nor foe.  It just is.  Weapons are beholden to their users.  If their users are immoral, then the weapons will inevitably be used for immoral purposes.  If the users are moral, then there is at least the possibility that the weapons will be used for moral purposes.  The same applies to science.  My brain ties the general utility of both science and weaponry to the morality of its user.

That's the real problem.

#597 2022-06-13 11:51:20

Void

Science, evidence.

But to me it only indicates that if someone starts using the phrases, "Greenhouse Effect", "Climate Change", or "Climate Crisis", I will not take what they try to say about Hurricanes seriously.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- … 180980235/
Quote:

Blue Holes Show Hurricane Activity in the Bahamas Is at a Centuries-Long Low

So, actual science. 

Not just a bunch of talk.

I like it.

Not trying to rev up an argument, just thought science instead of talk would be a nice change.

Done.

Done.

#598 2022-07-07 14:37:57

Mars_B4_Moon

Boris Johnson gone

'U.K. science minister resigns.'
https://twitter.com/BBCAmos/status/1544936124271173632

#599 2022-08-01 09:16:12

Mars_B4_Moon

How to collapse your own country, end its food supply, destroy its own infrastructure?

not an ideal government for Mars

Bankrupt Sri Lanka seeks urgent help to feed children
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 … d-children

The bankrupt state, grappling with Sri Lanka's worst economic crisis since independence, was unable to sustain welfare. Sri Lanka's inflation was officially measured at 60.8 percent in July, but private economists say it is well over 100 percent and second only to Zimbabwe.

#600 2022-09-11 14:58:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

What will actually happen when the so-called 'Doomsday Glacier' disintegrates?

The Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica may be closer to a major disintegration event than previously thought.
Using this new way of measuring the glacier’s "footprints" if you will, we now know a sudden melting event occurred over the course of six months at some point in the past 200 years. In that brief span, the section of glacier causing those formations on the ocean floor retreated at twice the rate that satellite photos had been able to detect. According to a 2020 estimate from the International Thwaites Glacier Collaboration, four percent of climate change-caused sea-level rise so far came from Thwaites alone, and a sudden total collapse would raise sea levels 25 inches more.

The article goes on to say you would get maybe 6 months to move....

For those that do not listen to the warning
Hundreds of Thousands of American Homes Will Be Swallowed by the Sea, Scientists Say

Board footer