New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#726 2021-06-24 15:37:41

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Large scale colonization ship

CBC: Get a load of this: NASA to test laundry detergent made for space

In its initial experiment, P&G will send up detergent custom-made for space in December so scientists can see how the enzymes and other ingredients react to six months of weightlessness.

Then next May, stain-removal pens and wipes will be delivered for testing by astronauts.

At the same time, P&G is developing a washer-dryer combo that could operate on the moon or even Mars, using minimal amounts of water and detergent. Such a machine could also prove useful in arid regions here on Earth.

One of the many design challenges: The water from the laundry would need to be reclaimed for drinking and cooking, just like urine and sweat are currently recycled aboard the space station.

"The best solutions come from the most diverse teams," Melvin said, "and how more diverse can you be than Tide and NASA?"

Time Bulletin: NASA and Tide collaborate to do laundry in space for humans to live on Mars

#727 2021-06-25 20:21:42

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck .... I haven't used Fusion 360 for a while, since my last work on the Large Ship.  I started the icon today, and it promptly informed me that my free year of trial use had expired.  I suspect that my files were all deleted from the cloud archive.  I had saved a few onto the local hard drive, but not most of them.  My advice to you is to be sure to ** always ** save your work onto the local hard drive if you take up a free one year subscription.

The cost of a paid subscription is out of my reach, although I can certainly see why companies are willing to pay Autodesk for the software and for the very high quality online support that is available.

(th)

#728 2021-06-25 21:10:56

RobertDyck
Website

Other products have other license agreements. For example, Unreal was a computer game. Unreal Engine is a 3D editor that enables you to create content. The engine is completely free, no trial period. The catch is if you use it for a computer game, then there's a 5% royalty. I'm finding a heavy learning curve, so creators can download the free version and get up to speed, then get a job working for a game company that uses the engine. Or create their own computer game; the royalty only applies once the game starts to sell.

Of course you realize my project is on my hard drive, not the web.

#729 2021-06-26 04:53:53

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #728

Thanks for the tips about Unreal Engine.

Have you been able to get the new video card to work?  I'm building a new 64 bit system, and have not yet selected a video card.  Your report of a 6 Gb work space is interesting, although my 2 Gb card seems to work for the small projects I've done so far.

Projects can be shared on Dropbox.  It has a 2 Gb basic service that is free.

Blender is also totally free ... It has a game engine as well.

I put up a simple Blender animation of the rotating Large Ship some time ago.

It is possible that animation is still available for viewing if anyone in the readership is interested.

The image shown is (as I recall) the Hammerhead version of the Large Ship concept.

Update at 8:27 local time ... while looking for a book about Unreal Engine (which has online training on offer) I found this:

Amazon Lumberyard
Free. Powerful. Fully Customizable.
We believe game developers deserve another choice. That’s why we’re building Lumberyard: a game engine with no royalties or seat fees, frictionless integration with Twitch and AWS, plus much more on the horizon.

Amusing that Amazon appears to be competing in a space I had previously associated with Google .... free software ..

(th)

#730 2021-06-26 06:40:19

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re books at Amazon about Unreal Engine

Books
unreal engine
Sponsored Ad - Blueprints Visual Scripting for Unreal Engine: The faster way to build games using UE4 Blueprints, 2nd Edition
Sponsored
Blueprints Visual Scripting for Unreal Engine: The faster way to build games using UE4 Blueprints, 2nd Edition
by Marcos Romero and Brenden Sewell
4.4 out of 5 stars 73
Paperback
$39.99

Sponsored Ad - Unreal Engine 4 Game Development Quick Start Guide: Programming professional 3D games with Unreal Engine 4
Sponsored
Unreal Engine 4 Game Development Quick Start Guide: Programming professional 3D games with Unreal Engine 4
by Rachel Cordone
4.5 out of 5 stars 47
Paperback
$24.99

Sponsored Ad - GAMEDEV: 10 Steps to Making Your First Game Successful
Sponsored
GAMEDEV: 10 Steps to Making Your First Game Successful
by Wlad Marhulets
4.7 out of 5 stars 106
Paperback
$24.99

Unreal Engine C++ the Ultimate Developer's Handbook: Learn C++ and Unreal Engine by Creating a Complete Action Game
Unreal Engine C++ the Ultimate Developer's Handbook: Learn C++ and Unreal Engine by Creating a Complete Action Game
by Stephen Ulibarri
4.4 out of 5 stars 66
Kindle
$9.99 $24.99
Available instantly
Other format: Paperback

Game Development Projects with Unreal Engine: Learn to build your first games and bring your ideas to life using UE4 and C++
Game Development Projects with Unreal Engine: Learn to build your first games and bring your ideas to life using UE4 and C++
by Hammad Fozi , Gonçalo Marques , et al.
4.6 out of 5 stars 24
Paperback

Beginning Unreal Game Development: Foundation for Simple to Complex Games Using Unreal Engine 4
Beginning Unreal Game Development: Foundation for Simple to Complex Games Using Unreal Engine 4
by David Nixon
4.7 out of 5 stars 25
Paperback
Other format: Kindle

Unreal Engine 4 Game Development in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself
Unreal Engine 4 Game Development in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself
Part of: Sams Teach Yourself (143 Books)
4.4 out of 5 stars 122
Paperback

Blueprints Visual Scripting for Unreal Engine: The faster way to build games using UE4 Blueprints, 2nd Edition
by Marcos Romero and Brenden Sewell
4.4 out of 5 stars 73
Paperback

Unreal Engine 4 Virtual Reality Projects: Build immersive, real-world VR applications using UE4, C++, and Unreal Blueprints
Unreal Engine 4 Virtual Reality Projects: Build immersive, real-world VR applications using UE4, C++, and Unreal Blueprints
by Kevin Mack and Robert Ruud
4.7 out of 5 stars 41
Paperback

Unreal Engine 4 Game Development Quick Start Guide: Programming professional 3D games with Unreal Engine 4
by Rachel Cordone
4.5 out of 5 stars 47
Paperback

Unreal Engine 4 for Design Visualization: Developing Stunning Interactive Visualizations, Animations, and Renderings (Game...
Unreal Engine 4 for Design Visualization: Developing Stunning Interactive Visualizations, Animations, and Renderings (Game Design)
Part of: Game Design (16 Books)
4.5 out of 5 stars 51
Paperback

Game Programming Patterns
Game Programming Patterns
by Robert Nystrom
4.8 out of 5 stars 660
Paperback

Sponsored Ad - Hands-On Embedded Programming with C++17: Create versatile and robust embedded solutions for MCUs and RTOSe...
Sponsored
Hands-On Embedded Programming with C++17: Create versatile and robust embedded solutions for MCUs and RTOSes with modern C++
by Maya Posch
3.9 out of 5 stars 12
Paperback

Unreal Engine 4 Shaders and Effects Cookbook: Over 70 recipes for mastering post-processing effects and advanced shading techniques
by Brais Brenlla Ramos and John P. Doran
4.0 out of 5 stars 8
Paperback
$39.99

Sponsored Ad - Unreal Engine Virtual Reality Quick Start Guide: Design and Develop immersive virtual reality experiences w...
Sponsored
Unreal Engine Virtual Reality Quick Start Guide: Design and Develop immersive virtual reality experiences with Unreal Engine 4
by Jessica Plowman
3.4 out of 5 stars 6
Paperback

Creating Games with Unreal Engine, Substance Painter, & Maya: Models, Textures, Animation, & Blueprint
Creating Games with Unreal Engine, Substance Painter, & Maya: Models, Textures, Animation, & Blueprint
by Kassandra Arevalo, Matthew Tovar, et al.
5.0 out of 5 stars 4
Paperback
Other formats: Kindle , Hardcover

Unreal Engine 4 Shaders and Effects Cookbook: Over 70 recipes for mastering post-processing effects and advanced shading t...
Unreal Engine 4 Shaders and Effects Cookbook: Over 70 recipes for mastering post-processing effects and advanced shading techniques
by Brais Brenlla Ramos and John P. Doran
4.0 out of 5 stars 8
Paperback

Foundations of Game Engine Development, Volume 1: Mathematics
Foundations of Game Engine Development, Volume 1: Mathematics
Book 1 of 2: Foundations of Game Engine Development
4.7 out of 5 stars 123
Paperback

Beginning C++ Game Programming: Learn to program with C++ by building fun games, 2nd Edition
Beginning C++ Game Programming: Learn to program with C++ by building fun games, 2nd Edition
by John Horton
4.5 out of 5 stars 83
Paperback

Unreal Engine 4.X By Example
Unreal Engine 4.X By Example
by Benjamin Carnall
3.7 out of 5 stars 9
Paperback

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming(Design may vary )
Beginning C++ Through Game Programming(Design may vary )
by Michael Dawson
4.6 out of 5 stars 426
Paperback

Blueprints Visual Scripting for Unreal Engine
Blueprints Visual Scripting for Unreal Engine
by Brenden Sewell
4.1 out of 5 stars 60
Paperback

Unreal Engine Virtual Reality Quick Start Guide: Design and Develop immersive virtual reality experiences with Unreal Engi...
Unreal Engine Virtual Reality Quick Start Guide: Design and Develop immersive virtual reality experiences with Unreal Engine 4
by Jessica Plowman
3.4 out of 5 stars 6
Paperback

Artificial Intelligence Engines: A Tutorial Introduction to the Mathematics of Deep Learning
Artificial Intelligence Engines: A Tutorial Introduction to the Mathematics of Deep Learning
by James V Stone
4.4 out of 5 stars 41
Paperback

Game Audio Implementation: A Practical Guide Using the Unreal Engine
Game Audio Implementation: A Practical Guide Using the Unreal Engine
by Richard Stevens and Dave Raybould
4.5 out of 5 stars 18
Paperback

Unreal Engine 4.x Scripting with C++ Cookbook: Develop quality game components and solve scripting problems with the power...
Unreal Engine 4.x Scripting with C++ Cookbook: Develop quality game components and solve scripting problems with the power of C++ and UE4, 2nd Edition
by John P. Doran , William Sherif, et al.
3.8 out of 5 stars 23
Kindle

Hands-On Artificial Intelligence with Unreal Engine: Everything you want to know about Game AI using Blueprints or C++
Hands-On Artificial Intelligence with Unreal Engine: Everything you want to know about Game AI using Blueprints or C++
by Francesco Sapio
4.2 out of 5 stars 10
Kindle

*** the offering below is interesting (to me for sure) because Blender is already familiar

3D Game Design with Unreal Engine 4 and Blender: Combine the powerful UE4 with Blender to create visually appealing and co...
3D Game Design with Unreal Engine 4 and Blender: Combine the powerful UE4 with Blender to create visually appealing and comprehensive game environments
by Justin Plowman
4.5 out of 5 stars 25
Paperback

The Complete Guide to Blender Graphics: Computer Modeling & Animation
The Complete Guide to Blender Graphics: Computer Modeling & Animation
by John M. Blain
4.6 out of 5 stars 25
Paperback

Sponsored Ad - Unreal Engine 4.x Scripting with C++ Cookbook: Develop quality game components and solve scripting problems...
Sponsored
Unreal Engine 4.x Scripting with C++ Cookbook: Develop quality game components and solve scripting problems with the power of C++ and UE4, 2nd Edition
by John P. Doran , William Sherif, et al.
3.8 out of 5 stars 23
Paperback

Sponsored Ad - Game Development Projects with Unreal Engine: Learn to build your first games and bring your ideas to life ...
Sponsored
by Hammad Fozi , Gonçalo Marques , et al.
4.6 out of 5 stars 24
Paperback

#731 2021-06-26 09:44:42

RobertDyck
Website

The new video card works. Using it now. The only odd thing is when the computer goes to sleep, when I try to wake it up by jiggling the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard, it boots rather than waking. Firefox will re-open pages I had open when it went to sleep, so this is a minor inconvenience.

Memory Express is the local store where I normally buy computer parts. They have a good selection and good prices. Their website lists the ASUS Phoenix GTX1660S GeForce GTX 1660 Super as out-of-stock. It uses PCIe x16, output is DVI-D, HDMI, and DisplayPort. Since I got my two monitors from a bank (they considered 23" not large enough), that means the monitors accept DisplayPort, not HDMI. One monitor also accepts DVI. Some gaming cards have only HMDI output. You can get a cheap converter from DisplayPort to HDMI, but the other way is expensive. I mentioned my computer has limited space, a double-width card must be 7" long or shorter. This card is 6.9" long. It has 6GB of GDDR6.

Memory Express lists that one as CAD$339.99 plus tax. Amazon Canada wants CAD$629.99 plus $27.98 shipping plus tax. Alternate suppliers to Amazon want even more. I think you can understand why I didn't get it.

What I did get is ASUS Phoenix GTX1650. It has 4GB of memory. Same physical dimensions, same video outputs. Still more expensive through Amazon Canada than the local store, but the local store is out-of-stock of any card capable of running a gaming engine. They say graphics cards are in such demand they won't back order, and won't transfer from stores in other cities.

Device driver downloaded through Windows Update. My computer has Windows 10 64-bit.

#732 2021-06-26 09:47:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sleep mode can be changed but it sounds like you are finally there to begin drawing with a great amount of details for being able to construct the ship. Next up would be prototype build and a lot of vendor material selection.

#733 2021-06-26 10:34:56

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #731

Congratulations on your progress, and thanks for details of the card!

The GTX1660S GeForce GTX 1660 Super would be out of my budget as well.

My local store carries a store brand gaming system with that card for $1200 - interesting!

The card itself is $330 and out of stock.

The GTX1650 would be out of my budget as well, but it is something I can save for.

It is also out of stock.  The gaming system builders may have claimed the entire production for a while to come.

For SpaceNut ... When you say "Sleep can be changed ... " I wonder what you have in mind?

My interpretation of RobertDyck's report is that there is an incompatible bit of code in the Nvidia drivers for the new card and the Windows 10 sleep function.

Not using Sleep is the only change that **I** can think of << grin >>.

Also for SpaceNut ....

Please ping Mr. Burk to see if he is willing to allocate some server space under control of the Mars Society for RobertDyck to save copies of his designs as they begin to flow from the new system.

He won't need much for a ** l o n n n n g g g" time.  A Gig should be more than enough.

We've discussed setting up a DropBox account for NewMars and that remains an attractive option, but space controlled by Mars Society would be better.

In the scenario I have in mind, you and kbd512 would have control of the space, but it would be readable  by everyone.

(th)

#734 2021-06-26 11:05:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

The computer sleep function or hibernation is a power saving feature and is hidden under the control panel. The monitor and some of items can be set to stay on all of the time rather than causing undue conditions to remember to always keep the files protected by backups.

#735 2021-06-26 12:10:02

RobertDyck
Website

I guess I have to update software. I'm the chair of the local chapter of the Mars Society. I've used "WS_FTP95 LE" to upload content to the website for the local chapter. Originally written for Windows 95, but does work with later versions. For some reason it can't log onto the chapter website any more. I haven't updated that website for 3 years. I could use that website to host files for the ship, just create a folder. But I don't know why I can't log on. I have checked with James Burk, and I do have the correct password. My software is configured to automatically detect host type. Is there a host type that will work? Or do I have to get new FTP software?

#736 2021-06-26 12:21:06

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #735

First, thanks for the good news of your having permission/authority to store files on Mars Society hardware for public viewing!

Regarding the present difficulty .... it seems (to me at least) highly UNLIKELY the Society website is running on anything other than Linux.

If you have a spare computer in your collection of hardware, throw Linux onto it and see what happens when you try to connect.

I am partial to Ubuntu but the members of the local Linux group use a wide variety of distributions to good effect.

Related ... does your login for regular connection work?  (not for file transfer?)

I'm wondering if security is in place.  It would not surprise me considering the number of spammers that are constantly beating at the door of every web site, most certainly including the Mars Society.

(th)

#737 2021-06-26 12:37:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

#738 2021-06-26 13:00:41

RobertDyck
Website

Installed Core FTP LE. Thank you. The issue is SSL support, this product supports it. But now I'm getting a password error. Haven't logged in for 3 years, so password probably changed. Shared login ID for Mars Society Canada. Sent an email to James Burk.

#739 2021-06-26 13:42:57

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck and SpaceNut .... nice to see collaboration succeeding ...

For any and all forum readers who may be interested in helping with the Large Ship project ...

It would appear that RobertDyck is leaning toward a gamer's package for development of concepts for the Large Ship.

This would have many advantages if it can be achieved in the context of something never done before.

The resulting designs need to correspond to the Universe we live in.

If anyone "out there" is interested in helping, read Recruiting Post #2 and drop an email to the Portal.

There's enough work to keep a small army busy for an extended period.

(th)

#740 2021-06-27 07:09:36

NewMarsMember

For RobertDyck ....

The Unreal Engine web site offers a number of online learning opportunities ...

ADVANCED TECHNIQUES FOR ARCHITECTS
This course provides advanced techniques, tips, and tricks for creating stunning architectural visualizations in Unreal Engine.

That sure does look (to me for sure) like a good match with your project.

There is a very large global community of Blender developers.  There may well be a similar sized group of Unreal Engine developers.

In the present age, it seems highly likely that more than a few of these folks might be interested in Large Ship.

If you set up a repository on a Mars Society server, you can admit contributions that meet your requirements (whatever they may be) while amplifying your productivity by distributing details to multiple developers.

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#741 2021-07-05 11:40:07

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck ... the last post in this topic was June 27th ...

A week having passed, I'm checking in to see how testing of the new video card is coming along.  My recollection is that you received the card, but you may still be resolving integration issues....

I just checked prices of video cards, and could hardly believe how much some gamers are willing to pay ... A nice used car is possible for the price of top end cards ...

Even the 6Gb card you recommended (or one very similar) is running $555 (US) at Amazon, and that's if it is in stock.

I'd like to know if you've been able to get Unreal engine to work, so I can try it on my smaller/older card to see if it work work.

I don't need or want gamer speeds ... I just want drawing functionality.

(th)

#742 2021-07-05 12:32:02

RobertDyck
Website

Computer is now sitting on it's side. Becomes unstable when upright. Could be the heat sink for the main CPU needs fresh thermal compound. My thermal compound ran out with the last computer repair, will have to get some. Meanwhile, the computer is perfectly stable as long as it sits on it's side.

Unreal Engine wouldn't work on my old card: Radeon HD4350 with 512MB of DDR2 memory. Unreal requires a card that supports Direct 11 or 12. That card was so old the device driver was intended for Windows 8.

Feels hot. Am I getting to be a wuss? Thermometer says it's 26°C (78°C), but weather says 65% humidity. I guess you get used to cold after a while. Miami was a lot hotter and humid. Weather website says it's 23°C outside, so time to open a couple windows, create a cross-breeze. Relevant because I worried about the computer getting hot. I have an app to read computer sensors. Motherboard 31°C, CPU 54°C, each of the 4 CPU cores 32°C, GPU (video card Graphics Processing Unit) 44°C, primary hard drive 44°C, data hard drive 46°C. System fan spinning at 1253 RPM, power supply fan 1029 RPM. All that is well within spec's. Now that I've opened windows, as I type this computer temperatures have already dropped a couple degrees.

#743 2021-07-05 14:24:51

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #742

Thanks for the update and for (to me interesting) details about heat sensors inside the system ... I've not tried that and don't know if any of my systems have heat sensors.  Thinking about it ... they (or some of them) must because (some of them) have the ability to control fan operation.

Somewhere along the line I got the impression you had ordered a new up-to-date card and that it had arrived.  Perhaps I misinterpreted something.

I knew your old card wouldn't support Unreal Engine.  My understanding was you were thinking of trying to find a replacement, and I recall your description of some of the technical hurdles due to system board contstrains.

Well, I guess you're still running the old card.

Nice to know the weather is pleasant up there in your region!   The news of a town going up in smoke when the temperature exceeded 120 degrees Fahrenheit is pretty amazing for Canada.

Well, as the climate changes, that may become routine for Canada, as well as parts of Siberia.

Since it appears you cannot run Unreal Engine, I'll just repeat that when you are able to do so, I'll be interested in seeing if it will run on my existing hardware.

(th)

#744 2021-07-05 14:50:59

RobertDyck
Website

I still have the Asus Phoenix GeForce 1650 with 4GB of GDDR6 memory. That's needed to run Unreal Engine. My old Radeon video card is now sitting on a shelf. The used Radeon HD 6870 turned out to have issues, it's sitting in a pile of equipment right now. Unreal Engine lists Radeon 6870 as minimum, but I think you can call this one dead. The GeForce 1650 is the new up-to-date card, and it's working. Had a heat issue, but turning the computer on its side resolved that. This way the main CPU heat sink is resting directly on the CPU chip. And the video card is resting on the PCIe socket that it's plugged into. Turning the tower case upright caused some issues. As I said, this tells me I have to apply fresh thermal compound for the main CPU heat sink. HP uses dry thermal compound. If you ever remove the heat sink, that has to be removed, it won't form a good heat transfer again. The heat sink must have shaken loose. I use thermal grease for repairs; it sticks better.

My system can run Unreal Engine now. Just can't set the tower upright until I get the grease. That means it's lying on the floor, instead of beside my desk.

#745 2021-07-05 17:21:46

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #744 ...

For anyone reading this topic from the top, at some future time, this little stretch will/may look like construction of the infrastructure that will (hopefully) lead to future images, designs and even animations to assist with building a team of supporters and workers.

I am looking forward to any guidance you may be able to find time to provide for implementing Unreal Engine as a shared tool.  The last I recall for a shared storage space was your initiative to see if the Canadian chapter might be granted space on Mars Society servers for specific projects.  Surely Large Ship would qualify for a small amount of space.  There are oceans of free storage space available for people/workers to use as build/test areas.  The finished product would (hopefully) pass your review and land in the public exhibition space.

SearchTerm:GeForce1650
SearchTerm:NvidiaGraphics
SearchTerm:VideoGraphics
SearchTerm:GraphicsVideo

(th)

#746 2021-07-06 04:30:09

Mars_B4_Moon

The Nautilus-X, NASA’s Cancelled Interplanetary Shuttle
https://medium.com/predict/nautilus-x-n … 6526243140
Nautilus-X, named after the first nuclear powered submarine. Essentially it was to be a small space station similar to the Lunar Gateway but mobile, with inflatable habitation modules, a spin-gravity ring section just large enough for the crew to sleep in, a lunar lander garage, and a VASIMR engine to propel the whole mess around the solar system.

Calliban wrote:

Whilst large scale colonisation ships will no doubt be constructed in the longer term, there would appear to be a market for smaller scale ships that can be assembled in orbit and refuelled and victualled using Martian propellant and food.

another news item on foods

NASA is learning how to farm on Mars and the moon
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/20/space-a … -moon.html

#747 2021-07-06 05:50:36

RobertDyck
Website

tahanson,
I founded the Mars Society Winnipeg chapter before there was a Mars Society Canada. When the Canada group formed, I asked to be part of it. However, Robert Zubrin wrote an op-ed that they "Canada" group disagreed with, so chose to distance themselves from the Mars Society. I don't know how they could do that. So I chose to ensure the Winnipeg chapter was associated with the Mars Society International rather than the Canada group. When travelling, I happened to be in the same city where the Canada group held their Annual General Meeting so attended. When I tried to talk to the President, it didn't go well. She was a young woman, in the hall and not a formal scripted meeting. But she dressed up in an analogue spacesuit and was showing off, astronaut Barbie. Every time I tried to talk to her, she walked away and posed in her suit. After a minute or so of this, I yelled at her. I had a project and needed to actually talk to the President. Some other guy interrupted, claimed he was the liaison for chapters. Now this is offensive! So the group was just Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal and they refuse to even talk to anyone from the rest of Canada? In Canada we've had a major problem with politicians and a few corporations doing that. We certainly won't tolerate that from a society. Well, this explains why all other chapters in Canada ceased to exist. When I attended the AGM, the Winnipeg chapter was the only one remaining other than Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal. That group decided to run a full session at FMARS. Then they disappeared. Apparently they joined the Canadian Space Society. For a while, the Winnipeg chapter that I run was the only Mars Society chapter in Canada. Now we have a couple new guys trying to resurrect the Mars Society Canada. Looks like we don't have the same problems, but the Winnipeg chapter is not and cannot be subordinate. That means I have control of the Mars Society Winnipeg website.

Ironic since the Mars Society Winnipeg has shrunk. I was holding it together. My job interfered with some meetings, then COVID happened. No meetings at all since COVID. I wrote the entire website for Winnipeg. One project on that website was created by another member, who has since died of cancer.

Just sent a reminder email to James Burk. On June 24 he said the password that I have is out of date. He was travelling, would look into it the following Monday. That was a week ago. So I reminded him that I need the password.

#748 2021-07-06 07:23:43

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #747

Good Grief!

SearchTerm:History of Mars Society in Canada
SearchTerm:Winipeg Chapter of Mars Society in Canada

Thanks for this review of the history .... I've been a (minor) official in the original L5 Society, and a (middling) officer in the Living Universe Foundation.  The experience you've reported reminded me of the LUF experience.  L5 seems to attract generally serious people, whereas LUF (and its precursor the Millennium Foundation) attracted fairly far out folks, in addition to a few serious ones.

Trying to run a serious enterprise over the Internet is challenging under the best of circumstances.

I hope that Mr. Burk is able to put you back into the game.  You can build an organization over the Internet, but it takes time and plenty of patience.

The last reboot of the Living Universe Foundation exploded in a starburst that left a dense core behind, and another reboot is possible.

The members who were serious are still around, mostly living their lives and gaining maturity and offspring. 

I'm preserving the legal structure in hopes there'll be another reboot attempt at some point. 

Our (the officers of 2011/2012) were successful in overcoming a (serious) problem with the IRS left behind by the previous reboot team, and we won the kind donation of a very nice web site by a member from Canada who joined during that period.

The problem that led to the starburst was a combination of far out individuals and two original members of the Millennial Foundation who became so enthusiastic about sharing their stories of the early days of the Millennial Foundation that the far out individuals went bonkers.  This was happening right while the President was trying to resolve issues with the IRS, so he decided to set the LUF effort aside.  He had a full time job with an aircraft company.

If anyone who happens to read this is interested in the LUF, luf.org is still supported by a member in England, and I have the entire collection of messages accumulated by members during the last reboot.  My task (if I can find the time and muster the focus) is to reconstruct the Yahoo database that we used as members of the LUFteam Group.

The legal framework was established in Colorado by the wife of Marshall T. Savage, and it persists thanks to the 2011/2012 team, and to the generosity of a young gent who showed out out of the blue with an interest in collecting the history of LUF for his blog.

The non-profit status with IRS would have to be renewed, but the IRS has granted forgiveness for the sins of the reboot before the last one, so a restart should go smoothly.

(th)

#749 2021-07-07 11:45:13

RobertDyck
Website

I got an updated password. Now can update the Winnipeg chapter website. There is space to store files there, as long as it's not abused. Storing 3D model of a spacecraft to carry settlers to Mars would definitely be within the mandate of the Mars Society.

#750 2021-07-07 12:36:09

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #749

Thanks for this encouraging news!

I'm glad to see the support provided by Mr. Burk!

You can move forward at a pace that suits you right now, and perhaps for some time.

When you have a file for me to look at (or anyone for that matter) please let me/us know.

I'd appreciate a bit of documentation of the Unreal Engine configuration you'll be running (are now running).

A little while back I collected a list of publications and resources publicly available about Unreal Engine .... That might be a starting point for your documentation on how you want to proceed.

Again, congratulations!

A ship with your name on it is just a few years "out there" ....

The only way I know to accomplish anything of any magnitude is a step at a time.

However, some steps are more important than others.

This was a significant step.

(th)

Board footer