New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-10-31 09:17:37

tahanson43206

NSS Houston Chapter Events

This new topic is set up to report on events scheduled by the Houston chapter of the National Space Society.

https://www.meetup.com/Future-North-Hou … urce=promo

the Zoom event above is scheduled for November 7th.

The presentation should be of interest to NewMars members.

The meeting will be on Saturday, November 7, 2020 at 2PM (CDT) ONLINE Via ZOOM: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85216600533

Tentative Agenda:
2:00 PM – Opening Remarks – Nathan Price
2:10 PM – Space Communicator Speech
2:20 PM – Recent Space News – Greg Stanley
2:45 PM – Growing Edible Algae on the Moon – Elliot Roth
3:30 PM – Q&A
3:45 PM -Share your personal space experiences since the last meeting. Rocket Launches, Other Meetings, Research, etc.
4:00 PM – End of Meeting

About the Speaker Elliot Roth

Elliot is the founder of Spira, a company that creates better-tasting spirulina as an ingredient for food companies. Spira has received awards from RebelBio, Lighthouse Labs, the World Food Programme, Halcyon Incubator, BeGreen, CommBeBiz, and the National Science Foundation, and has presented at SXSW, Synbiobeta and Thought for Food. Elliot is a Kairos Fellow, a Seasteading Ambassador, and Future Founders Fellow. Before Spira, Elliot graduated with a degree in biomedical engineering; he trained at the Stanford d.School as a University Innovation Fellow, and has 10 years of synthetic biology experience and worked for 5 years as a product consultant. He previously founded 6 failed startups and 2 successful nonprofits including an open community science lab. He is incredibly motivated to solve physiological needs using simple biological design.

About This Project
One of the biggest challenges for off-world life is the production of food. Astronauts need nutritionally dense, fast-growing and resource-efficient food that can be grown in a tiny amount of space. This experiment aims to grow spirulina algae to supply a nutritional supplement to the crew. Previous NASA experiments only tested dried spirulina algae. This experiment will test growing conditions and sentiments around fresh spirulina algae to enable nutrition for life in space.

I would like to thank a member of the Houston chapter for informing us of this event.

(th)

#2 2020-11-01 06:55:22

tahanson43206

Re: NSS Houston Chapter Events

November 7th Zoom meeting ... All times Houston:

The meeting will be on Saturday, November 7, 2020 at 2PM (CDT) ONLINE Via ZOOM: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85216600533
Tentative Agenda:
2:10 PM – Space Communicator Speech
2:20 PM – Recent Space News – Greg Stanley
2:45 PM – Growing Edible Algae on the Moon – Elliot Roth
3:45 PM -Share your personal space experiences since the last meeting. Rocket Launches, Other Meetings, Research, etc.
About the Speaker Elliot Roth

(th)

#3 2020-11-01 09:18:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

We have spirulina and Algae topics (in Life support) as well as a recipe for flour substitute from dried Algae but it has not made it into normal consumption as of yet.

#4 2020-11-01 11:06:45

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #3

Bravo! This means forum members/readers will be will prepared to attend a presentation by a professional who will bring real expertise to the topic.

I'm looking forward to responses from forum members after attending the presentation.  What I'm ** really ** looking for are any signs of serious interest in replicated the testing that (I understand) will be reported.  It is one thing to read about a subject, and other thing entirely to participate in actual experiments.

We have an opportunity (as just one example) to set up LED light plant growth experiments in our places of residence, and to carry out "scientific" studies of the performance of various plants.  Such experiments would ideally be carried out under the supervision of a professional.

There are (by now) thousands of retired academic professionals who (I expect) would qualify to serve as Principal Investigator for a Crowd Activity such as this.

(th)

#5 2020-11-03 12:59:08

tahanson43206

The Space Show will be discussing the Space Force:

5. Friday, Nov. 6, 2020; 9:30-11 AM PST; 11:30 AM-1 PM CST; 12:30-2 PM EST: We welcome back retired USAF Lt. General Steven Kwast for a Space Force update and post election analysis. .

Broadcast 3601 Retired USAF Lt. Gen. Steven Kwast | Friday 06 Nov 2020

Previous interviews:

Broadcast 3568 Hotel Mars with Ret. USAF Lt. Gen. Steven Kwast | Wednesday 09 Sep 2020

Broadcast 3461 Lt. Gen. (RET) USAF Steven Kwast | Friday 14 Feb 2020

Broadcast 3361 Lt. Gen. Steven Kwast, USAF | Thursday 22 Aug 2019

(th)

#6 2020-11-07 16:05:28

tahanson43206

I attended the National Space Society Houston Chapter Zoom meeting, but arrived an hour late.

The region where I live moved to regular time from Daylight Savings, and the two hour difference I was anticipating was one hour.

I got the impression the talk on algae was based upon a simulation experiment with a number of participants.

The speaker said there were four biologists in the team.

I'll try to find out if there is a YouTube recording of the event.

The lesson I learned (which I should have learned long ago) is to check the Internet for the ** actual ** time at a location in another time zone, before marking the schedule for an event.

Edit#1: The Meeting Host wrote to say the presentation would be available for viewing by the public in a few days. The web site is:

http://www.northhoustonspace.org/

If you visit the site now, you will find a summary of the presentation, with details of the testing of live algae for meals as compared to dried algae.

Apparently live algae is NOT subject to the objectionable taste of dried algae.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-11-07 20:11:12)

#7 2020-11-10 08:36:18

tahanson43206

The video of the Algae presentation is available to the public:

http://www.northhoustonspace.org/

A pdf file of the presentation slides is available here: https://www.northhoustonspace.org/wp-co … tation.pdf

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-12-09 12:05:43)

#8 2020-12-12 16:24:26

tahanson43206

The North Houston chapter of the National Space Society met today, via Zoom.

Hopefully a video recording will be made available in a few days ...

The opening presentation was given by a gent who is Site manager for a plant under construction in Huntsville, Alabama, for Blue Origin.

A detailed update of events since the last meeting was given by Greg Stanley. 

The main presentation was by Eagle Sarmont, about his book (available on Amazon). The specific focus of the presentation was non-rotating skyhooks, which are a practical concept possible using existing materials.  The complication of increased orbital traffic (including constellations of Internet satellites) was addressed. 

A concluding presentation was given on a student competition organized by "SEFH" www.sefhouston.org

The organization is looking for mentors and judges for the various events planned for early 2021, all using virtual connections.

During the Q&A after presentations, an attendee named Brett Hoffstadt reported that he has completed a book that will be coming out early next year.  I ** think ** the subject was the Moon ...

I'll try to add details when I get them.

However, the best resource is the web site of the North Houston chapter of the National Space Society.

(th)

#9 2021-02-06 16:07:44

tahanson43206

The February meeting of the North Houston Chapter of the National Space Society just came to a Virtual end.  The presentation might be of interest to some NewMars forum readers ...

The speaker was Brett Hoffstadt - he is working on a children's book with the title "Goodnight Moon Base".  I understand there was an earlier book with the same title, and some members of the audience seemed to remember it.  I gather that copyright issues have been reviewed and resolved.  This is an entirely different book The author asked for feedback from the audience, and there were a number of interesting (to me for sure) comments and suggestions, as well as a variety of questions.

The age level audience is children who are being read to by their parents/guardians/teachers.

The question of word choice came up, and the author responded that he's planning to work with children's book editors, but in general, he wants to use "real" words so the child can be exposed to them (a) and (b) so that the reader can explain them.  The illustrations provide context.

If anyone is interested, the web site where the book is shown in development is http://moonbound.gr8.com

The next meeting of the North Houston Chapter of NSS is scheduled for the first Saturday in March.

Zoom opens automatically from the chapter web site if you're interested in attending.

(th)

#10 2021-02-06 17:03:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

I remembered getting a book back when I was in third grade form a teacher as I was out with a appendicitis for several weeks on the stars and it was so far out of date at the time as we had already gone to the moon not thinking about going. I loved space even back then as Appollo was front in center with each moon landing being televised in black and white or with a fancy color tv and if you were older you remember in on the monochrome screen.

#11 2021-02-22 12:05:41

tahanson43206

The March online meeting is announced:

Monthly North Houston Space Society Chapter Meeting

NSS North Houston Space Society

March 6th, 2 PM Houston time

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-02-22 12:06:14)

#12 2021-04-16 20:33:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

This post is about the North Houston Chapter of the National Space Society.

The next meeting (online) is scheduled May 1st.

The message includes an invitation to make a presentation about the NewMars forum.

This invitation came in from the North Houston Chapter of the National Space Society.

FYI,

Any chance if we are short a speaker for a future meeting you'd be willing to give a 30-45 minute presentation on the New Mars forum?  Maybe a bullet point for each of the top ten active threads, highlight some interesting members, and share how to join the conversation?  We are booked up for now but might need you in the future.

----- Forwarded Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021, 11:35:51 AM CDT
Subject: ? Just scheduled: Monthly North Houston Space Society Chapter Meeting

Meetup

Nathan Price scheduled a new event in NSS North Houston Space Society Just now

Saturday, May 1, 2021

2:00 PM to 4:00 PM CT

Online event

Link visible for attendees
Reserve your spot

Details

Join us for our Monthly NSS North Houston Space Society (http://NorthHoustonSpace.org) meeting. Connect with others who are excited about exploring the cosmos, learning how to use the resources of space to improve human life, and who want to go and s...

Learn more

Hosted by

Nathan Price

Longtime space enthusiast. I stay up for SpaceX launches and Elon speeches. I work as a consultant for Anaplan but am looking for ways to get more involved in the exciting activities happening in Space Exploration.
5 going

See all

Victoria K.

Nathan Price

Blanca Bejar

Greg Stanley

C Stuart Hardwick

(th)

#13 2021-04-16 20:34:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

That does not sound all that difficult since we have post counts for topics, we have the recent topics, we have the user by joining or by post count...Talking about how its evolved over time from a personal blog to being one for the mars society....
definitely the solar nuclear is in the top posted about issues...
insitu versus sending everything
going with a clean versus Frankenstein build using what we have
Starship versus the nasa gateway with SLS...
scaled Crew size versus hundreds all at one time

just a few thoughts

short bio like of members with special talents that make it possible to open discuss all aspects of a mars journey

#14 2021-04-16 20:34:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

For SpaceNut re #27

Thanks for taking up this invitation for consideration.

I am surprised to find I posted the announcement in the Space Show topic.

It was supposed to have gone into the NSS topic.

However, no real harm done.

It is a opportunity for someone to tell others about NewMars.

Years ago I was able to create presentations that lasted for extended periods, but I am long out of practice.

(th)

#15 2021-04-16 20:35:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

For SpaceNut re #1020

Thanks for the suggestions for Quaoar.

Meanwhile, GW Johnson replied, so the discussion may have wound down.

Please take a look at the post about the North Houston chapter of the National Space Society.

They've extended an invitation to make a presentation about NewMars.

I can't imagine anyone having more than 30 seconds to say about NewMars, but perhaps I'm just too close to the subject.

(th)

#16 2021-04-16 20:35:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

Some of what makes newmars in burried in the older posts of the forum by those that started in before I got here, that its admins have been from members that did post during that time...ect
Some of the members remember vaccumn tubes...use slide rules ect....education done right.....

#17 2021-05-01 15:05:52

tahanson43206

The May 1st meeting of the North Houston Chapter of NSS just wrapped up ...

The meetings are free an open to the public on Zoom.

Today's talk was by Ben Huset, who's been a space advocate for many years.  His presentation was on the history and future prospects for the Chinese space program.  It started with the famous gent who tried a rocket chair experiment, and concluded with plans for the Moon and Mars that will give the US a definite run for the money.

I'll post the link to the YouTube recording when it becomes available.

A number of the meetings are already available on YouTube ... just search for North Houston NSS

(th)

#18 2021-05-24 11:06:20

tahanson43206

Presentation regarding the MS in Space Architecture master's degree program at the University of Houston.

----- Forwarded Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021, 7:19:33 AM CDT

Subject: ? Just scheduled: Monthly North Houston Space Society Chapter Meeting – Mahsa Esfandabadi – SICSA

Meetup

Nathan Price scheduled a new event in NSS North Houston Space Society Just now
Monthly North Houston Space Society Chapter Meeting – Mahsa Esfandabadi – SICSA

Saturday, June 5, 2021

Online event

Reserve your spot

Details

Join us for our Monthly NSS North Houston Space Society (http://NorthHoustonSpace.org) meeting. Connect with others who are excited about exploring the cosmos, learning how to use the resources of space to improve human life, and who want to go and s...
Hosted by

Nathan Price

Longtime space enthusiast. I stay up for SpaceX launches and Elon speeches. I work as a consultant for Anaplan but am looking for ways to get more involved in the exciting activities happening in Space Exploration.

(th)

#19 2021-06-05 12:07:40

tahanson43206

A reminder of the presentation at the North Houston chapter of NSS just arrived ...

Agenda:
2:10 PM – Recent Space News – Greg Stanley
2:30 PM – Mahsa Esfandabadi – Sasakawa International Center for Space Architecture (SICSA)

SICSA BACKGROUND AND OVERVIEW
The Sasakawa International Center for Space Architecture (SICSA) is a unique research, design, and teaching entity that sponsors and directs the world’s only MS-Space Architecture program. The organization was founded in 1987 with a $3 million endowment gift provided by Japan Shipbuilding Industry Foundation Chairman Ryoichi Sasakawa, the largest foreign gift ever received by the University of Houston. SICSA’s central mission is to plan and implement programs that will advance peaceful and beneficial uses of space and space technology on Earth and beyond. Many of these activities address extreme terrestrial environments. SICSA is internationally recognized for its leadership in the field of space architecture. Numerous SICSA graduates have embarked upon productive and successful careers in government and corporate aerospace organizations worldwide.

About the Speaker:
Mahsa Esfandabadi is a SICSA graduate of 2020, a previous research assistant at Dr. Olga Bannova’s lab. Now she is on the Space Architecture Technical Committee (SATC-AIAA) education board following her earlier experiences as a university professor. She will present SICSA’s student projects about human-centered structures in orbit, on the surface of the moon and Mars, or far and beyond.

About the Meeting
Meetings are open to all age groups and interest levels. Come explore with us the potential that developing and exploring space has to better life here on earth and to open up new frontiers creating new perspectives that can help enrich the human experience.

The Vision of NSS is people living and working in thriving communities beyond the Earth, and the use of the vast resources of space for the dramatic betterment of humanity.

The Mission of NSS is to promote social, economic, technological, and political change in order to expand civilization beyond Earth, to settle space and to use the resulting resources to build a hopeful and prosperous future for humanity. Accordingly, we support steps toward this goal, including human spaceflight, commercial space development, space exploration, space applications, space resource utilization, robotic precursors, defense against asteroids, relevant science, and space settlement oriented education.

MeetUp: https://www.meetup.com/Future-North-Hou … y-Chapter/
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/NssNorthHoustonSpaceSociety/

The event will start in 53 minutes ... local time here is 14:06

6:07 PM
Saturday, June 5, 2021
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)

(th)

#20 2021-07-09 20:43:13

tahanson43206

Just received an update about tomorrow's meeting of the North Houston Chapter of the National Space Society

This will be another all-virtual meeting.  It will start at 2 PM Houston time.  Access information is available on the group web site.

The technology used is Zoom.

The August meeting will be the first attempt at a Hybrid concept, with up to 22 people on site at the Barbara Bush Library, and another contingent online.

(th)

#21 2021-07-26 10:47:06

tahanson43206

The Barbara Bush Library declined to accept an in person meeting request due to the burst of Covid cases in Texas.

Therefore, the monthly meeting will be held online again ....

[ONLINE] North Houston Space Society - Gitika Gorthi - Ignited Thinkers

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Online event

Reserve your spot

Details

Learn more

Hosted by

Nathan Price

For details about attending visit the web site of the North Houston Chapter of the National Space Society.

If you are shy (and many NewMars members may fit that description) you do NOT have to have your video on to participate. 

Your system needs to be able to run Zoom.

(th)

#22 2021-08-01 19:36:17

tahanson43206

Meeting on Zoom - Open to the public - Saturday August 7, 2021

All times Houston

Details
Join us for our Monthly NSS North Houston Space Society (http://NorthHoustonSpace.org) meeting. Connect with others who are excited about exploring the cosmos, learning how to use the resources of space to improve human life, and who want to go and spread humanity to the rest of the universe.

Agenda:
2:10 PM – Recent Space News – Greg Stanley
2:30 PM – Gitika Gorthi – IgnitedThinkers.org

Gitika will talk about her journey founding IgnitedThinkers, aerospace medicine research she conducted, future outlook on IgnitedThinkers and possible career paths people can choose that have an interest in space other than being an astronaut.

Gitika Gorthi is a rising senior attending Chantilly High School in Northern Virginia and is the Founder/CEO of IgnitedThinkers (www.ignitedthinkers.org). Gitika founded IgnitedThinkers in 8th-grade to spread space education to all and breaking industry stereotypes to make the space ecosystem more diverse and accessible. Gitika is an aspiring astronaut and aerospace physician. She does aerospace medicine research with the Baylor College of Medicine and Brown University, a NASA Ames Center 2021 GeneLab intern, and a rocketry enthusiast working towards her high-powered rocket license.

Meetings are open to all age groups and interest levels. Come explore with us the potential that developing and exploring space has to better life here on earth and to open up new frontiers creating new perspectives that can help enrich the human experience.

The Vision of NSS is people living and working in thriving communities beyond the Earth, and the use of the vast resources of space for the dramatic betterment of humanity.

The Mission of NSS is to promote social, economic, technological, and political change in order to expand civilization beyond Earth, to settle space and to use the resulting resources to build a hopeful and prosperous future for humanity. Accordingly, we support steps toward this goal, including human spaceflight, commercial space development, space exploration, space applications, space resource utilization, robotic precursors, defense against asteroids, relevant science, and space settlement oriented education.

MeetUp: https://www.meetup.com/Future-North-Hou … y-Chapter/
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/NssNorthHoustonSpaceSociety/

(th)

#23 2021-08-07 12:44:29

tahanson43206

The North Houston NSS chapter Virtual meeting starts in 15 minutes.

As of today, it is open to anyone, anywhere on Earth.

I just heard from FriendOfQuark1 reminding me to attend via Zoom (or whatever they are using now).

Here is a copy of part of today's chat ... it contains links to animation showing a rotating habitat in the Asteroid Belt.

I've selected items that might be of interest to NewMars members or readers.

16:19:53 From  David Cheuvront  to  Everyone : Here is the link to visit the

Astoria VR settlement: https://vrch.at/mimi-gunterrain-c5cc3 
(any user can enter the public instance of this, but you can sue a private instance and limit access to friends only).

16:26:17 From  David Cheuvront  to  Everyone : A full demo of the VR Settlement and what it took to create it is at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1arzFIY … sp=sharing

16:28:12 From  Nathan Price  to  Everyone : Our Website:
http://NorthHoustonSpace.org

16:28:19 From  Nathan Price  to  Everyone : To sign up for our email list:
https://nssnorthhoustonspacesociety.us1 … fe2ff904bd

16:31:11 From  Nathan Price  to  Everyone : Starbase Tour with Elon Musk [PART 1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t705r8ICkRw

16:31:41 From  Nathan Price  to  Everyone : Starbase Tour with Elon Musk [PART 2]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA8ZBJWo73E

16:34:27 From  David Cheuvront  to  Everyone : We will have a panel about propellant depots next week. Please feel free to join: https://www.f4f.space/conversations

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-08-07 15:14:07)

#24 2021-08-29 17:39:52

tahanson43206

The next meeting of NHCNSS is this coming Saturday at 2 PM Houston time (3 PM EST)

Saturday, September 4, 2021
Nathan Price
Hosted by
Nathan Price
Public group
Saturday, September 4, 2021
3:00 PM to 5:00 PM EDT
Every 1st Saturday of the month

Add to calendar

Online event

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85216600533

Details
Meetings open to all age groups and interest levels. Come explore with us the potential that developing and exploring space has to better life here on earth and to open up new frontiers creating new perspectives that can help enrich the human experience.

The scheduled speaker had to reschedule.  There is a monthly update on space launches by Dr. Greg Stanley.

(th)

#25 2021-10-02 15:07:26

tahanson43206

Report on October 2nd meeting of North Houston chapter of National Space Society.

The meeting just concluded at 16:00 Houston time.

I am ** very ** impressed by how well the hybrid meeting worked!  The group leader was assisted by several members who helped with video and audio coordination.  The results will be available for everyone to view at the NorthHoustonSpace.org site after the video recording is uploaded.

The speaker is the author of a book about possible life elsewhere in the Universe/Galaxy, and how we might interact with it.

The book is available for review at Amazon:

Into the Unknown: Human Exploration in the True Space Age Paperback – August 29, 2021

by Ellena Hyeji Joo  (Author)

The next meeting will be November 6th.

I feel confident the Zoom format will continue.  Anyone can connect to the meeting.  Video is optional.  There is chat for questions or comments.

The topic will be the recently concluded:

Interstellar Symposium

September 24-27 2021

Tuscon, Arizona.

(th)

Board footer