New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2019-05-27 17:36:32

tahanson43206

Re: Holidays

For Terraformer ...

Thanks for the inspiration to look for citations about the history of Armistice Day, and of the migration of memorial activities over time, in various countries and at various times.  You're right, that the Americans have Memorial Day, but (I gather) that predates World War I. 

I hope that future Martian citizens can look back in amazement at wars on Earth, and that they will be spared similar discord.

Bad behavior appears to be endemic in the human population. 

I asked Mr. Google for help with the famous line:  “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”

it turns out (as nearly as I can tell) this is a line that has a great number of authors, and (apparently) no one has a lock on it.

However, it works for me right now .... Future Martians are most certainly going to have to adopt it if they want to keep eruptions of bad human behavior from ruining what I hope will be a peaceful, productive culture.

(th)

#102 2019-05-27 18:41:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

A mars memorial day would be one that they would celebrate as they would have finally gotten away from wars and would remember the fallen of mars which would have lead the way and not just those on earth.

#103 2019-06-19 17:03:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

#104 2019-08-12 18:11:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

SpaceNut wrote:

NASA will celebrate the Martian New Year with an event at this flying saucer spaceship monument in Mars, Pennsylvania
Martian Calendar Milestone. NASA is celebrating the New Year on Mars on June 19, 2015.

Gearing Up to Prepare for the Next Mars New Year in 2019

The actual Mars New Year will be celebrated on Thursday, March 21st, 2019.

Seems Mars was scared of Aliens on Earth claims but there is this as well. 2019 Alien Stock Festival

2 million people to say they’d storm Area 51. https://fox8.com/2019/08/10/storm-area- … -festival/

Will we be listening to the One eyed, one horned, purple people eater?

#105 2020-12-21 09:52:17

tahanson43206

The Holidays topic created by RobertDyck has been patiently waiting for today on Earth ...

Today is the Winter Solstice, and regardless of calendar or human mythology, the Sun is observed at it's lowest excursion to the South, as seen from the Northern hemisphere.

There is a small community that celebrates this day on Earth.  I have no idea how large that community may be, but I am acquainted with a family that celebrates this day with the same enthusiasm that other families celebrate the variations on the theme.

In honor of that family, and all others who celebrate this day, Happy New Year!

(th)

#106 2020-12-21 17:43:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Mars would also have a simular marking of the solstice days as well but would they be followed by a Christmas and New Years as we celebrate here on Earth.
I have assumed that man will in time not follow earths calendar very much and that slowing it would see a slowed down version of some of the more important holidays still falling in it.

A well wish to all NewMars members and to Mars Society for another successful year by hosting the forums content.

Something that is clear as new rockets are developed and cash is starting to flow for missions with these new lifts to the heavens that we will indeed see Mars sooner rather than later....so lets get the plans in order to get us there....

edit

tumblr_inline_ohdbtnzI4P1tzhl5u_1280.jpg

Winter solstice we saw at 270' on Sep 02 2020 so the days are getting longer while the distance from the sun increases.

What is odd is the amount of solar in winter is higher but with the days time is short we do not see any really amount of mars warming.

While the summer day grows longer but the amount of solar striking the planet is dropping.

I think this is in the topic but if its not here it is https://www.planetary.org/articles/mars-calendar

#107 2020-12-25 18:34:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

well, another day past and well wishes will continue through the new year...probably every where but in there topics....
So when we started to think about earth holidays and how would they cross to mars only some will but many will be twice as long to get to since mars is twice the earths year of days to get there....

#108 2021-04-04 11:24:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sure there's a NORAD Santa Tracker for kids, but is there a NORAD Easter Bunny Tracker for grumpy chickens!? We have an app for the Easter Bunny https://trackeasterbunny.com/easter-bunny-tracker

Welcome to Track Easter Bunny On Saturday, April 3rd, the Track Easter Bunny website and apps will transform into a tracking experience where you can follow the Easter Bunny as he delivers Easter baskets and goodies to good kids around the world. Millions of people love the Easter Bunny …

Happy-Easter-Day-Images-5-700x394.jpg

Easter is a Christian holiday that celebrates the belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Easter 2021 will take place on Sunday, April 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter

Board footer