New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#351 2003-06-21 13:22:35

Palomar

Re: New Discoveries - Extraplanetary, deep space, etc.

Space Environment Center...COOL!  smile

*Can check stats on today's solar weather and etc.  I love watching our sun, learning about it, etc. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#352 2003-06-21 19:28:52

Free Spirit

Thanks for copying over the article.  If the star is being artificially manipulated what type of benefit would you get from making it more ovoid or spin faster?

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#353 2003-06-21 20:26:53

Palomar

Thanks for copying over the article.  If the star is being artificially manipulated what type of benefit would you get from making it more ovoid or spin faster?

*You're welcome.

As to your question:  I have no idea.  sad  I could speculate, but that's all it would be...speculation, and I'm not confident of my abilities in that regard as pertains to THIS particular article.

Any ideas Shaun?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#354 2003-06-21 22:03:40

Shaun Barrett

Oops!
    Hi Free Spirit! Somehow I've managed to convey the impression that this ovoid star is being considered as a candidate for evidence of intelligent manipulation i.e. 'stellar engineering'.
    First of all NOBODY EXCEPT ME is suggesting such a thing - and I suggest it only as an interesting exercise in speculation.
    Just because astrophysicists haven't yet figured out exactly why a star should take on this shape, doesn't mean it must be the result of artificial intervention.

SETI exists because there is a very real possibility that extraterrestrial civilisations might also exist. Some may be very advanced and able to manipulate a star in order to, say, draw more energy from it. One day, we might actually see something in the heavens which defies every explanation except artificiality.
    I lightheartedly seized upon this distorted star, which so far is a mystery, as a potential proof of alien intelligence at work.

I was only having fun!   smile
    I apologise if I gave anyone the wrong impression.

[As for trying to work out why a hypothetical alien civilisation would want to speed up a star's rate of spin or change its shape, that's a very difficult question. Imagine trying to explain to a Neanderthal the reason for digging up uranium oxide! Where would you start?!
    We might be just too primitive to understand the basics of stellar manipulation.  sad  ]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#355 2003-06-22 11:14:52

Palomar

Fire Crews Scramble to Save Univ of Arizona's Steward Observatory!

I hope they can get that situation under control, period.

--Cindy

#356 2003-06-24 07:26:56

Palomar

The Sun in 3-D

*Oooooo, beautiful.  Check out how many km long each "little granule" is.  smile

--Cindy

#357 2003-06-24 13:08:11

Palomar

Well...it does concern a planet.  Would you support this mission?

*I do.  This same topic was the subject of an hour-long special on the Discovery Channel just last month.

--Cindy

#358 2003-06-24 18:07:19

Shaun Barrett

Few things would please me more than sending a probe to the Earth's core. It's a fantastic idea (almost literally! ).
    As long as it takes no money away from solar system exploration, I'll be happy to support the idea. But, if it's a choice between concentrating on Earth's interior or sending crews to Mars, sorry .. no contest.
                                      smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#359 2003-06-26 08:57:01

Palomar

"Martian Analemma"

*This is groovy, baby.

--Cindy

#360 2003-07-01 05:29:27

Palomar

Not a "new discovery," but...

...it's a darned nice photo anyway.

And did they have to tell us it's barren?  Like, duh.   :angry:

:laugh:

--Cindy   cool

#361 2003-07-04 10:02:33

Palomar

"More Martian Dust?"  (Sky & Telescope article)

*Recent Marsian weather!  Good article, great photos!  Mars certainly looks to be sporting a thick polar ice cap in these photos.  And relative to the currently brewing weather, check out the caption with 2001 Hubble photos...it says the storm then had raged for 2 months.

--Cindy

#362 2003-07-05 12:48:17

Palomar

When you least expect to find something relative to Mars...

*Here's the entire artwork (above is close-up):

http://www.tradestonegallery.com/cgi-bin....0063520

Long story short:  I was searching for portraits of Catherine the Great at Google Images.  I found a nice portrait...which happened to be on a lacquer box.  The web link to it is:

http://www.lacquerbox.com

I've been looking around the site, and clicked on "Gallery" and then "Mermaids."  And what do I find but a whimsical reference to Mars.  smile

Okay, okay...it doesn't quite fit here; I debated putting this in the 18th Century Age of Enlightenment folder or here, but figure it'll get more attention here.  Hmmmmmm, apparently one of these artists is a kindred soul (in more ways than one).  smile

--Cindy

#363 2003-07-08 09:12:46

Palomar

Spectacular Solar Flares & Prominences

*Damn, I've got to get a solar filter for my telescope...I've just got to!!

--Cindy

#364 2003-07-11 08:51:48

Palomar

#365 2003-07-26 20:36:09

Josh Cryer

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#366 2003-07-29 07:13:27

Palomar

Marsian sand dunes

*I don't believe I've seen or posted this photo before.  The sand dunes of Mars are so pretty...and so varied!

--Cindy

#367 2003-07-29 07:16:59

Palomar

Ay carrumba...is this a vertigo-inducing photo or what??

*Weeeee!

But seriously...I'd have to be sedated.   tongue

--Cindy

#368 2003-07-30 10:16:40

Palomar

"Frosty Mountains on Mars"

*Lovely (though not a "true photo"). 

--Cindy

#369 2003-07-30 10:22:00

Palomar

*Hi Josh:  I've seen a much smaller photo similar to this, but the one you link to is much more dramatic.  Wow!  It's both beautiful and eerie.

--Cindy

#370 2003-07-30 14:47:53

dickbill

These pictures are absolutely amazing. The first serie is a from a 6' (150mm diameter mirror) 'newtonian' by the way. I have to wait to see what could give a more expensive 'fluorite' on Mars. Something even better I guess.

#371 2003-08-06 20:46:36

Josh Cryer

Cindy, yeah, I caught a cropped version at TEM. When I saw the thermal image article (about potential ice towers, and stuff), I had to hop over there at TEM to see what new and exciting conspiracy they had come up with. When I got there I saw this amazing photo of the moon and Mars, and I couldn't believe it!

It's now currently my desktop (and also my icon, if you haven't noticed!).

I think the symbolism is just awesome. I think that when clark says things like the moon will help us get to Mars, it's true.

dickbill, I saw that! 6'! My goodness, I can't imagine how it would've looked through a bigger scope.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#372 2003-08-07 06:20:13

Palomar

Marsian "Flares"

*Cool.  smile  I can imagine this might provoke some conspiracy theorists (ring, drool).

--Cindy

#373 2003-08-07 11:17:07

Josh Cryer

Wow, those are awesome, Cindy. Too bad there isn't anything like fire or lightening related to those.

I'm a huge fan of Jack Stargazer. Saw his show the other night and apparently there's going to be another Mars-Moon conjuction! So check it out.

www.jackstargazer.com I think.

--------

#374 2003-08-07 11:30:42

Palomar

Wow, those are awesome, Cindy. Too bad there isn't anything like fire or lightening related to those.

I'm a huge fan of Jack Stargazer. Saw his show the other night and apparently there's going to be another Mars-Moon conjuction! So check it out.

www.jackstargazer.com I think.

*Hmmmmm.  I've never heard of "Jack Stargazer."

This "Jill Stargazer" will check it out!   cool

--Cindy

#375 2003-08-08 07:08:05

Palomar

Board footer