New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-03-19 20:09:50

tahanson43206

Glass Battery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_battery

For SpaceNut ... starting a new topic for a solid state battery that showed up in a business feed ...

I searched for topics containing "battery" and "glass" before starting this one.

Apparently investors are continuing to support developments ...

I note the ability to resist creating dendrites, which kbd512 mentioned recently in one of his comprehensive posts about battery technology.

Other claims made for this battery type seem (to me at least) quite ambitious, but the funds are still (apparently) arriving to carry development from lab to field.

(th)

#2 2021-09-28 21:08:18

tahanson43206

Re: Glass Battery

Bump to see if anyone has seen an update on this concept.

(th)

#3 2021-09-28 21:58:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

"dendrites" are metal snow flakes of which if you are starting with a flat sheet of metal means you are getting melting via heat from the charging discharge cycling that is to high for the batteries design. Its why we are having fires and such for fast charge batteries.

The wiki says that the glass is an electrolyte which means its the raw silica and not the melted version the type is suggesting. As glass is an insulator to current.

#4 2021-09-30 16:28:03

Calliban

A molten glass battery is an interesting idea.  An insulated, cast iron container, containing a low melting point glass and heating elements.  CO2 would pass through immersed pipes to a power generation plant.  Not quite the same as what is being discussed here, I think.  A thermal rather than electrochemical device.  I wonder if something like that could be used to power heavy equipment that didn't need to go very far?  Like mining equipment and trucks.  Diggers.  Farm machinery.  Stuff like that.  You would have a thermal electric generator, charging a small battery, that would allow uneven loads to be met.  Electric motors provide a lot of torque at low speeds.

Last edited by Calliban (2021-09-30 16:33:06)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

Board footer