New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2019-09-27 14:22:57

tahanson43206

Electricity from Thermal Activity in Magnets

SpaceNut .... I hope it is acceptable to open a new topic for the research reported in this link:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/scie … 00256.html

As I understand the report, from an initial scan, researchers at multiple institutions have found a way to generate electricity by capturing tiny impulses of equally tiny magnets in material previously thought to be useless.

That's an oversimplification, of course, but hopefully it will be enough to encourage someone to read the link.

(th)

#2 2019-09-27 16:19:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Electricity from Thermal Activity in Magnets

A stationary magnet inside a coil will not produce energy but a magnet that is being turn off by heat and the allowed to cool would create a power pulse in the coil with the rate of the cycle of hot to cold. Find that delta for the change in temp would make an AC current possible.

#3 2021-03-12 16:54:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... I looked for topics containing the word "electricity" .... this one is one of only two we have...

It's been languishing since 2019, so I'll bring in an off-topic item to refresh it in case there is someone who would care to study the research ...

But after getting a long-term deal to buy electricity at about 2.5 cents a kilowatt from Arizona Public Service (APS), the need for help has diminished.

I have no idea what rate is typical around the world, so offer this report to (hopefully) generate some reports of rates at various locations.

(th)

#4 2021-03-13 09:52:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

The heat and cooling cycle of the magnet  is what is making its field appear and dis appear. Heating of a magnet is curie temperature where a field goes away. If a near by field is present it will align to that field and create its own once cool enough...

Board footer