New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-07-28 05:52:45

Shaun Barrett

Re: The Tunguska Explosion - What was it?

Again, all very good points.
    I freely admit I'm pushing the envelope more than a little by invoking nuclear processes. And, without any figures for the pressure and temperature, I'm in no position to argue the point.

Are the reports of radioactivity (TVactivity?  :laugh: ) even credible in the first place? Maybe I'm breaking all the rules of physics in a pointless attempt to explain something that never happened!
                                       sad

If the reports are believable, where is the radiation coming from? I don't remember reading anywhere that stony meteorites are well-known for their high content of radioactive isotopes.
    Hmmm. That 'stricken, extraterrestrial, nuclear-powered, interstellar spaceship' story is looking better and better!!
                                         tongue

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#27 2003-07-28 18:47:58

dickbill

Re: The Tunguska Explosion - What was it?

from the same site I cited above:

M. Tchernobrov a indiqu? qu'une hausse de la radioactivit? avait ?t? enregistr?e dans la zone apr?s la chute de la m?t?orite. Selon lui, il ne s'agit d'ailleurs "probablement pas ? proprement parler d'une m?t?orite, mais d'un corps c?leste de nature pour l'instant inconnue"

M. Tchernobrov mentioned an increased in radioactivity (after the impact) , but he said he doesn't believe it's a meteorite. If its not a meteorite and its not a comet, what it is ?
whatever, I havn't seen this info anywhere else than Yahoo.fr. Unless somebody confirm from a different source than AFP. This is dubious IMO.

Board footer