New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-03-01 19:16:10

louis

OAC - Voyager Station

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech … -2025.html

Any views on how realistic this proposal is?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2021-03-01 19:35:16

Void

Re: OAC - Voyager Station

They put on a good show, they seem to have real thinkers in their tribe(s).

I guess it is wait and see.  Starship, Vulcan, New Glen, and of course things from the British and N.Z.   Russia, China.  All of it.

But lots of skinned knees along the way.  Nothing is sure.  But I would rather that many people dream these things than just give up.

I very much want to see the dreamers dream.

Done.

Done.

#3 2021-03-01 20:29:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Previously reported in large ship topic

SpaceNut wrote:

It appears we have a business that is looking at building Orbital Assembly Corporation (OAC) recently unveiled new details about its ambitious Voyager Station, which is projected to be the first commercial space station operating with artificial gravity.https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BB1e1nGb.img?h=421&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

https://gatewayspaceport.com/

fully equipped to accommodate up to 400 people. Assembly is scheduled to begin around 2025
Voyager will house 24 integrated habitation modules, each of which will be 65 feet long and 40 feet wide (20 by 12 meters). At near-lunar gravity, the rotating resort will have functional toilets, showers, and allow jogging and jumping in fun and novel ways.

"The prototype will produce a truss section roughly 300 feet [90 m] in length in under 90 minutes," Clements revealed during the live-streamed event. "DSTAR weighs almost 8 tons in mass, consisting of steel, electrical and mechanical components."

The company plans to construct a prototype gravity ring that will measure 200 feet (61 m) in diameter and will be engineered to spin up to create artificial gravity near Mars' level, which is about 40% that of Earth.

"The cost has been about $8,000 per kilogram [$17,600 per lb.] for a long time. But with the Falcon 9, you can do it for less than $2,000. And as Starship comes online, it will only cost a few hundred dollars."

Seems that if you live near the assembly design location that there is going to be some high tech engineering positions opening.

#4 2021-03-02 07:57:26

Void

I watched a video last night because of the posts here.
Something interesting is that the habitation modules will be too big, (12 Meters?), to fit in the Starships, (9 Meter?) fairings.
So, the guy when asked about it said they thought they had a plan for how to get them up there.  I suppose they may put them on top of a stack.  Which system they have in mind I will not so much even guess.

However they don't need those modules for the mini-wheel they will try to build first.

Also, in case a reader had not looked into this they also plan to have the real wheel that is eventually to be built also be a place where people who have been in microgravity can rehabilitate in spin gravity.  Possibly even on a weekly basis.

There are a whole lot of new machines being pushed for.  It used to only be Falcon 9.  Now all this other stuff.  Nice.

Done.

Done.

#5 2021-03-02 09:17:37

Void

------
Voyager Station(s), a little more.
Others may have already gathered the information I will put here.
One thing is they will not recycle water back to humans.  Instead they plan to make propellants out of it.  That sort of makes some sense, as they can sell the propellants, and their high end customers will not have to think about drinking other peoples recycled fluids.
Even though it is highly probable that every time we drink water it is water that passed through other creatures bodies in the past.  Still a pretty smart move, I think.  So for raw materials, for propellants they would have available cast off water fluids, and CO2 exhaled by humans.   So how much Hydrolox, how much Metholox do they create?
I presume that at first they lift up the food that is to be fed to the clients.  Later, then maybe farm "Worlds" near by?  I wonder what the Carbon cycle will be like?  No need for Carbon phobic weirdos on this please.  Don't know if Carbon from Mars would be competitive or not.  Maybe if it were a farm product, the farms in orbit, the CO2 from that atmosphere.
And eventually, the water from the Moon?  Not at first though. 
------
Also, for radiation protection they plan to make some kind of an ice shield.  And they may be considering magnetic protections as well, not sure on that.
------
These "Pilot Programs" are to be precursors to such devices being deployed all over the solar system, according to them.   I guess I believe that solar would be possible at Jupiter with concentrating mirrors, and maybe even Saturn/Titan/ect.
But eventually I guess some kind of nuclear would need to figure in.
As I see it, a companion farm type device, could be built from inner system rocky materials, and then pushed out twards large ice deposits, and filled with water.\
In the case of smaller moons for Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, eventually some of those moons would be strip mined all the way down to rocky materials by this method. 
From there, I guess a method for Pluto/ect.
Or the robots kill us all smile
I will probably be dead anyway at that point.  Almost certainly. smile
But until dead, dreams can be nice.
Done.

Done.

#6 2021-03-02 16:06:44

louis

It seems like over-egging the pudding to talk about propellant production. Why would you take CO2 from Mars if you can make your propellant on the ground in Mars?

If it can be built (and I really don't see why it can't...it would be a lot simpler than the ISS). I don't really see why you couldn't assemble it automatically, given a car can park itself.  Transponders could get the units into close proximity, then lasers could fine tune the couplings and strong magnets could bring the units together in perfect alignment. In-place bolt systems could then be activated once you have the units properly aligned. 

Void wrote:

------
Voyager Station(s), a little more.
Others may have already gathered the information I will put here.
One thing is they will not recycle water back to humans.  Instead they plan to make propellants out of it.  That sort of makes some sense, as they can sell the propellants, and their high end customers will not have to think about drinking other peoples recycled fluids.
Even though it is highly probable that every time we drink water it is water that passed through other creatures bodies in the past.  Still a pretty smart move, I think.  So for raw materials, for propellants they would have available cast off water fluids, and CO2 exhaled by humans.   So how much Hydrolox, how much Metholox do they create?
I presume that at first they lift up the food that is to be fed to the clients.  Later, then maybe farm "Worlds" near by?  I wonder what the Carbon cycle will be like?  No need for Carbon phobic weirdos on this please.  Don't know if Carbon from Mars would be competitive or not.  Maybe if it were a farm product, the farms in orbit, the CO2 from that atmosphere.
And eventually, the water from the Moon?  Not at first though. 
------
Also, for radiation protection they plan to make some kind of an ice shield.  And they may be considering magnetic protections as well, not sure on that.
------
These "Pilot Programs" are to be precursors to such devices being deployed all over the solar system, according to them.   I guess I believe that solar would be possible at Jupiter with concentrating mirrors, and maybe even Saturn/Titan/ect.
But eventually I guess some kind of nuclear would need to figure in.
As I see it, a companion farm type device, could be built from inner system rocky materials, and then pushed out twards large ice deposits, and filled with water.\
In the case of smaller moons for Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, eventually some of those moons would be strip mined all the way down to rocky materials by this method. 
From there, I guess a method for Pluto/ect.
Or the robots kill us all smile
I will probably be dead anyway at that point.  Almost certainly. smile
But until dead, dreams can be nice.
Done.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#7 2021-03-02 19:43:20

Void

------
OK Louis, my comunications were insufficient, and confusing.
A Voyager Station in Earth orbit at first would be a tourist trap.  They would also like to have government clients and perhaps corporate clients.   Many of this class of people would not enjoy the thought of drinking lower class recycled pee.   Although they might include a few perverts, but the logic is pretty good.   I just told you why I think they will turn recycled human waste into propellants.  The propellants would be valuable in orbit, and fresh water for the tourists makes sence as it then becomes propellants of value.  They did not explain it that way, they just said they would supply the station with fresh bottled water from Earth, and turn the waste products from humans into propellants.  I am the one that entered the "Most rich people don't want to drink lower class recycled pee" smile  I have presumed this.
Where I spoke of CO2 from Mars, I was pondering moving CO2, or Carbon from Mars to Earth orbit.  It does not seem energy efficient, but if you have space in a returning Starship....Well who really knows for sure at this point?
As for an orbital establishment for Mars, I anticipate a more basic way of life, not that many hoity toities.
So now, since you did bring it up, we do have the possibility of orbital material resources.
The moons of Mars are a somewhat undefined source of raw materials.  It is pretty sure that Oxygen can be had, and metals, but not necessarily Hydrogen.  Hydrogen is rather light if bulky and could be lifted from Mars itself to a refinery in orbit.
And in the terraform method I described, there is a chance that a layer of Hydrogen will dwell on the top of the atmosphere to be collected out of if the magnetic field proposed can shield it in part.
And many people can imagine a sky hook grabbing an airplane or rocket from the sky, but why not atmosphere itself?  Of course for that you then need a way to accumulate energy of intertia to give to the collected substances.  Not yet ruled out.  The entire project is not so well defined that you can drill down with precision and accuracy to discover where potentials may be.
Tired.
Done for now.

Done.

#8 2021-10-06 18:56:21

tahanson43206

If anyone in the group has seen updates about this project, please add them to the topic.

I get the impression our Large Ship topic has run out of steam.

The Voyager Station design looked promising when it was first announced, but I have seen nothing about it since.

The original article by Jeff Spry does not show up in a list of pieces by Jeff Spry, so I don't know if the author was a different Jeff Spry, or if it was removed from the list of articles for some reason.

Space is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Home News Tech

Company plans to start building private Voyager space station with artificial gravity in 2025
By Jeff Spry February 25, 2021

Voyager Station will be able to accommodate 400 guests, its builders say.

Orbital Assembly Corporation (OAC) recently unveiled new details about its ambitious Voyager Station, which is projected to be the first commercial space station operating with artificial gravity.

OAC, a manufacturing firm centered on the colonization of space, discussed Voyager Station during a video press junket late last month. The Jan. 29 "First Assembly" virtual event served as an update for interested investors, marketing partners and enthusiastic vacationers hoping to someday book a room aboard the rotating Voyager Station.

The project's roots go back a number of years.

John Blincow established The Gateway Foundation in 2012. The organization's plans include jumpstarting and sustaining a robust and thriving space construction industry, first with the Voyager Station and The Gateway commercial space station — "important first steps to colonizing space and other worlds," the foundation's website states. OAC was founded by the Gateway Foundation team in 2018 as a way to help make these dreams come true.

The hour-long Jan. 29 presentation and Q&A session was hosted by OAC medical advisor Shawna Pandya and streamed live on the company's YouTube channel. During the event, the space construction company revealed its schedule for the next chapter of human space exploration.

Its team of skilled NASA veterans, pilots, engineers and architects intends to assemble a "space hotel" in low Earth orbit that rotates fast enough to generate artificial gravity for vacationers, scientists, astronauts educators and anyone else who wants to experience off-Earth living.

As a multi-phase endeavor requiring funds to realize the dream, OAC is now officially open for private investors to purchase a stake in the company at $0.25 per share, until April 1, 2021.

Voyager Station is patterned after concepts imagined by legendary rocket scientist Wernher von Braun, one of the main orchestrators of NASA's Apollo program. The 650-foot-wide (200 meters) wheel-shaped habitat will spin with an angular velocity high enough to create moon-like levels of artificial gravity for occupants.

If realized, Voyager would become the biggest human-made structure in space, fully equipped to accommodate up to 400 people. Assembly is scheduled to begin around 2025, Gateway Foundation representatives said.

This shining technological ring will feature amenities ranging from themed restaurants, viewing lounges, movie theaters and concert venues to bars, libraries, gyms, and a health spa.

Voyager will house 24 integrated habitation modules, each of which will be 65 feet long and 40 feet wide (20 by 12 meters). At near-lunar gravity, the rotating resort will have functional toilets, showers, and allow jogging and jumping in fun and novel ways.

But before the station can start spinning, its builders must establish the necessary orbital infrastructure and create smaller structures to test the concept.

Blincow explained during the Jan. 29 event that the current plan is to build the rotating space station in stages, beginning with a small-scale prototype station, in addition to a free-flying microgravity facility, both using Voyager components.

"This will be the next industrial revolution," Blincow said.

(th)

#9 2021-10-06 19:57:29

tahanson43206

Google came up with this...

When is the Voyager space station going to open?
Voyager Station was originally planned to open in 2025, but coronavirus-related delays have pushed this back to 2027 said the company. Numerous architects and designers are currently working to develop space tourism.
First space hotel set to open in 2027 - Dezeen

www.dezeen.com/2021/03/09/space-hotel-voyager-statio…
See all results for this question

Tom Ravenscroft | 9 March 2021  65 comments
The Gateway Foundation has announced that it intends to open the first hotel in space, named Voyager Station, in 2027.

Voyager Station will be built by construction company Orbital Assembly Corporation, which describes itself as "the world's first large scale space construction company".

According to the organisation, construction of the 50,000-square-metre facility will start in 2026 with the first passengers visiting the hotel in 2027.

When it opens, the rotating hotel will have rooms for up to 440 people. The rotating ring-shaped form will give the station gravity equivalent to one-sixth of the Earth's.

"Going to space will just be another option people will pick for their vacation"

The Gateway Foundation originally revealed its design for the space hotel, which was then called the Von Braun Space Station, in 2019.

At the time, its senior design architect Tim Alatorre explained that the aim of the project was to make visiting space accessible to everyone.

Voyager Station space hotel
Voyager Station would be the first space hotel
"Eventually, going to space will just be another option people will pick for their vacation, just like going on a cruise, or going to Disney World," Alatorre told Dezeen.

"Because the overall costs are still so high most people assume that space tourism will only be available to the super-rich, and while I think this will be true for the next several years, the Gateway Foundation has a goal of making space travel open to everyone."

Hotel will contain restaurants, bars and gyms

Since its first launch, Orbital Assembly Corporation has revealed more details about the structure and its construction.

The first element to be built will be a central un-pressurised ring structure that will contain the docking hub at its centre.

Voyager Station bedroom
The hotel will have luxury villas and individual bedrooms
Following this, the 200-metre-diametre outer ring truss will be assembled and connected to the central ring by a network of spokes.

This ring will support the 24 habitation modules, which will be used for hotel accommodation, restaurants, bars, gyms, crew accommodation and scientific research pods.

Interiors will have "natural materials and colours"

According to the organisation, Voyager Station will be designed to have the "feel of a luxury hotel", with comfortable interiors that reject the sleek futurist look often depicted in films.

"In the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, Stanley Kubrick's Space Station 5 is a sterile, white, museum-like hotel," explained Alatorre in an interview with Dezeen.

"While it made for a clearly futuristic feeling in the movie, in reality, it wasn't a very inviting space. As humans, we innately connect to natural materials and colours."

Bar in space
It will have a triple-tier bar
Voyager Station will contain a range of holiday accommodation options with 500-square-metre "luxury villas" that will be available to be rented for a week, month or permanently.

These villas will have sleeping space for 16 along with three bathrooms and cooking facilities.

Alongside the villa, the space station will have numerous 30-square-metre hotel suites that will have beds for two people and a private bathroom.

Luxury villa in at Voyager Station
Furnishing will use natural materials and colours
According to the Gateway Foundation, as the space hotel has gravity, guests should expect a similar experience to visiting a high-end hotel, with restaurants that "will rival the best venues on Earth".

Guests will be able to relax in a triple-tier bar with a water feature that "will seemingly defy the laws of physics".

Space hotel: Von Braun Space Station by the Gateway Foundation
Related story
Visiting space will be "just like going on a cruise" says space hotel architect
"We are planning on full-service kitchens with all of the dishes you would expect on a luxury cruise ship or in a major hotel," said Alatorre.

"A lot of the logistical issues for food service have been worked out years ago by the cruise ship industry."

Bedroom at the space hotel
Bedrooms were designed to reject the usual sleek space aesthetic
An activity and gym module with seven-metre-high ceilings will be used for low-gravity games.

At night it will be used as a concert venue where "the biggest musicians on Earth will rock the station as it circles the planet".

Gym in space
The activity module will be used for exercise and as a concert venue
Voyager Station was originally planned to open in 2025, but coronavirus-related delays have pushed this back to 2027 said the company.

Numerous architects and designers are currently working to develop space tourism. Recently transport design studio PriestmanGoode developed a concept for a high-performance balloon to take space tourists on a "cruise" around the stratosphere.

London studio Seymourpowell designed the interior cabin of Virgin Galactic's spacecraft to take six passengers on a sub-orbital flight into space and view the Earth.

Read more: Architecture Space tourism Hotels Space
Subscribe to our newsletters
Watch a fly-through of Mars city designed for quarter of a million people
Mars city

The article seems to be a repeat of the earlier release.

https://gatewayspaceport.com/

If you are interested in joining with us consider joining the foundation as either a member or Crew. For press or general inquiries you can reach us at:
Mailing Address
Gateway Foundation
8780 19th St Suite 324
Alta Loma CA 91701

Phone
800-987-0238 x101
Mon - Fri, 8:00-17:00

I just filled out a contact form inquiry.  It will be interesting to see if anyone responds.

Update:

Submission Confirmation

Gateway Foundation <johnblincow@gatewayspaceport.com>
To:
tahanson43206

Wed, Oct 6 at 10:03 PM

Name:    Tom Hanson
Email:    tahanson43206
Message:    A member of the Mars Society has been thinking about a rotating space ship he calls the "Large Ship".
If you have someone willing to interact with a space oriented audience, please take a look at newmars.com/forums.

We have closed off admission except via email application. If you have someone willing to compare notes on design features with our Large Ship vision, please contact us. Read Post #2 of Recruiting topic.

tahanson43206

(th)

#10 2021-10-07 14:56:01

kbd512
Administrator

If we're going to send a million people to Mars over the next couple of decades, then they'd better think about super-sizing that space station, because that's the only way that will happen.  The Starships take colonists to a space station for temporary accommodation, they refuel a Mars-bound ship with nobody onboard, or commit to building real space stations and interplanetary transport ships using Starship, and then those real ships, not thousands of delicate tin cans, take people to other planets.  Sure, there's safety in numbers and all that, but also safety from having at least an inch of steel between you and a hard vacuum.  We need Starship so we can afford to build real ships and space stations.  Once we have real ships, then we can go anywhere in the solar system, and have a reasonably good chance of everyone aboard arriving at their destination in good physical condition.

#11 2022-04-11 06:19:11

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... please copy recent posts about Voyager Station into this topic.

By accident, they ended up in the Large Ship topic, where they are neither appropriate nor welcome.

Google came up with this snippet:

Voyager Station
voyagerstation.com

Over 11,600 m2 (125,000 sf) of habitable space in modules and access tubes. Simulated 1/6 Earth's gravity; Live, work, play, eat.
People also ask
How much will it cost to go on the Voyager station?
Is Gateway spaceport real?
Who owns orbital assembly corporation?
Is the Von Braun Station real?

Voyager Station - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Voyager_Station

The Voyager Space Station or Voyager Station is a proposed rotating wheel space station, planned to start construction in 2026. The space station aims to be ...
World's first space hotel scheduled to open in 2027 - CNN
www.cnn.com › travel › article › voyager-station-space-hotel-scn

Mar 4, 2021 · Voyager Station is a cruise ship-style hotel built from modules connected into a ring that will rotate to create artificial gravity in ...
World's First Space Hotel: Inside The $200 Billion Voyager Space ...
www.therichest.com › Luxury Architecture

Nov 16, 2021 · The Voyager Space Station project will cost $200 billion, and the world's first space hotel will feature every amenity available in a luxury ...
Look at the ambitious plans for Voyager Station, a hotel in outer space
www.boston.com › travel › travel › 2021/06/10 › look-at-the-ambitious-pl...

Jun 10, 2021 · Voyager Station would include standard hotel rooms, luxury suites, a health spa, a gym, a concert venue, themed restaurants, and Earth-viewing ...
First space hotel set to open in 2027 - Dezeen
www.dezeen.com › space-hotel-voyager-station-gateway-foundation

Mar 9, 2021 · The Gateway Foundation has announced that it intends to open the first hotel in space, named Voyager Station, in 2027. Voyager Station will ...
The first 'space hotel' plans to open in 2027 | Astronomy.com
astronomy.com › news › 2021/11 › the-first-space-hotel-plans-to-open-in-...

Nov 8, 2021 · As the first of its kind, Voyager Station is slated to be a luxury resort designed to accommodate 280 guests and 112 crew members, complete with ...
The World's First Space Hotel Will Open in 2027 — and You Can ...
www.travelandleisure.com › Trip Ideas › Space Travel + Astronomy
Taking its cue from science fiction films like "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Interstellar," Voyager Station will create artificial gravity using centrifugal ...

Posted: Mar 5, 2021
Someone is already planning to open a space hotel by 2027
knowtechie.com › someone-is-already-planning-to-open-a-space-hotel-by-...

Mar 16, 2022 · Voyager Station is the name of the upcoming space hotel from the Gateway Foundation that could become operational in 2027.
Company plans to start building private Voyager space station with ...
www.space.com › orbital-assembly-voyager-space-station-artificial-gravity-...

Feb 25, 2021 · Orbital Assembly Corp. recently unveiled new details about its ambitious Voyager Station, which is projected to be the first commercial ...
Related searches
Voyager Station hotel price
Space hotel
Voyager Station
Space hotel 2021
Voyager Station stock
Orbital Assembly Corporation
Space hotel 2027 cost to build
Voyager station owner

A target date for full operation of 2027 is ambitious (considering all to be accomplished).

However, I think it is a reasonable target, and most of us in the forum will be around to see it.

The Large Ship (Prime) concept in discussion here was just put on hold, because it is not ready for actual Real Universe planning.

Meanwhile, the Voyager Station clearly has substantial funding and a team of experts in a variety of fields who are building drawings, letting contracts and working hard to make the vision become reality.

Any and all updates to ** this ** topic will be appreciated and welcome.

(th)

#12 2022-04-11 08:18:57

Calliban

Space stations like this will be useful when large ships are available to transport people between Earth orbit and Mars orbit.  Starship vehicles can make regular trips from Earth to the space station.  But Earth to Mars is only possible during specific launch windows.  Waiting on an orbital station allows a single Starship to ferry up a couple of thousand people over a period of weeks, who can then board the departing ship when the launch window aligns.

Space stations like this with closed life support, gravity and radiation shielding, would also be useful as cyclers.  An ion thruster could boost it to Earth escape and onto an orbit that crosses both Earth and Mars orbits.  This could take years, but it only needs to be done once.  So acceleration can be measured in micro-g.

Last edited by Calliban (2022-04-11 08:22:35)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

Board footer