New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-06-13 00:36:00

Echus_Chasma
Website

Re: Degrees/subjects for future Martian colonists - What will I need to know?

I was wondering;

what subjects will I need to take at school and what degrees should I aim for at Uni so I could become an effective martian colonist/astronaut?

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#2 2003-06-13 20:48:56

Free Spirit
Banned

I don't think it's so much the subject you major in but the type of work you are interested in.  Practically every scientific subject can be applied to space research some how.  Are you interested in producing food in a space environment perhaps or maybe researching ways of building good radiation protection, etc?  You should ask yourself what types of things interest you and how it could apply to spacefaring and then find a relevant degree program from there.  Just my two cents.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#3 2003-06-14 13:36:21

Echus_Chasma
Website

Cool,

cheers dude.

#4 2003-07-07 22:11:02

rustyplanet
Banned

I actually wanted to know this too so I looked at NASA's website. I'd recommend astronaut experience, which there's a whole list of requirements for. Getting one thousand hours of jet aircraft experience is tricky if you go the civillian route but it can be done. You should give the NASA site a look and design a system for yourself. Think What do I want to do on Mars? Like say you want to work on doming the craters on Phobos for living and determining whether Mars' moons are captured asteroids or ancient impact ejecta. For this I would study solar system and planetary geology, as well as architecture and ways to screen against radiation, and know a second language (probably Russian). You will obviously have to make your own plan, because this is mine and if you take it you will be destroying my dreams.

EDIT: Made it better.

#5 2003-07-14 17:13:46

Echus_Chasma
Website

What do I want to do on Mars?

Ok, cool.

Yeah, I was thinking I would need geology, engineering, nuclear physics (want to do something with nuclear energy), and probably chemisty also.

if you take it you will be destroying my dreams.

Hehe, wouldn't wanna do that, mate.

#6 2003-07-25 17:28:20

space_psibrain

you'd probably also need something like space science, aerospace engineering and such

bioengineering as well for terraformation

"What you don't realize about peace, is that is cannot be achieved by yielding to an enemy. Rather, peace is something that must be fought for, and if it is necessary for a war to be fought to preserve the peace, then I would more than willingly give my life for the cause of peace."

#7 2004-01-20 11:53:37

Hazer

Hey, I became a Mechanical Engineering major because of my interests in Space.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#8 2004-01-20 19:00:24

jadeheart
Banned

Practical: 

-Electrical Eng., Computer Eng., maybe Comp. Sci (am thinking about grad school in this myself).

-Bioengineering or Envi. Sci. (for life support systems).

Science:

-Geology/Geophysics.  (I think this will be by far the most relevant science on Mars.)

But if I were you I'd never give up NZ for Mars, mate.  Heaven on Earth.  Have been thirsting for a Speight's for some time now...  or better yet a Monteith's.

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#9 2004-01-20 21:37:25

Michael Bloxham

But if I were you I'd never give up NZ for Mars, mate.  Heaven on Earth.

I dunno, might one day make the same decision meself, mate. :;): 
A kiwi would be perfect for a Mars mission; in keeping with the NZ spirit of adventure, I reckon. Y'know, it really does surprise me to see the many New Zealanders enthused in the space industry. Really great to see. big_smile

- Mike,  Member of the [b][url=http://cleanslate.editboard.com]Clean Slate Society[/url][/b]

#10 2004-02-02 22:49:01

Echus_Chasma
Website

Soz for taking a while to reply - I find it difficult to keep active due to school and stuff.

Science:

-Geology/Geophysics.

Yup, that's what I'm ganna be doing. I'm also interested in power supply so I'll do some engineering course on that also.

But if I were you I'd never give up NZ for Mars, mate.  Heaven on Earth.

Yeah, I suppose NZ is quite nice and where I live at the moment has a lot of green and stuff but A lot of NZers take it for granted - we produce more waste per person per year than the average American does. :-\ It really sucks arse seeing all the rubbish on the fields after lunch and going around doing my bit to pick it up (while getting laughed at).

Have been thirsting for a Speight's for some time now...  or better yet a Monteith's.

Ewww!! I can't see how anyone could drink that stuff! tongue

A kiwi would be perfect for a Mars mission; in keeping with the NZ spirit of adventure, I reckon. Y'know, it really does surprise me to see the many New Zealanders enthused in the space industry. Really great to see.

smile  Hehe, yeah, there are a few of us around.

#11 2004-02-10 20:08:22

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#12 2004-02-11 06:07:56

Byron

Yeah, I suppose NZ is quite nice and where I live at the moment has a lot of green and stuff but A lot of NZers take it for granted - we produce more waste per person per year than the average American does. :-\ It really sucks arse seeing all the rubbish on the fields after lunch and going around doing my bit to pick it up (while getting laughed at).

Well, that's a surprise to me  yikes   Guess NZ has changed a lot since I was there in '86.  Back then, I was extremely impressed with the "green" mentality the people had in regards to their country, and I saw so little of the rampant development that you see in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Kudos to you picking up the garbage, etc.....maybe some of those blokes will learn not to throw trash around all over the place...

B

#13 2004-09-10 18:24:46

Stargrail
Website

I was wondering;

what subjects will I need to take at school and what degrees should I aim for at Uni so I could become an effective martian colonist/astronaut?

I suggest self motivated study, which you seem to have.

Magic Squares constants will be the technology of the future, when applied to eletromagnetic fields. I suggest you study that in addition to all that is here. In it's advanced levels it is how all mass can be organized, cataloged, understood and expressed, from the smallest to the biggest.

From a European point of view, having an overview of the structure of the Ancient Celtic, Druid, Egyptian, Greek and Roman God's etc can help in explaining some aspects of the forces found in the solar system.

http://www.sitchin.com]Zecharia Sitchin is a good read too.

[url=http://www.stargrail.co.uk]Ant[/url]

'Everything is impossible until it's not.' Cpt. JL Picard

#14 2004-09-19 18:11:11

The Fed Man
Banned

I am interested in both chemical engineering and architecture. I know that both of these have pratical uses on Mars but I am still undecided at which I should follow.

#15 2005-11-05 10:17:34

spaceman9000

Hey Y'all,
What have you read on space colonization and exploration?
My 'independent study' includes:
Entering Space by Bob Zurbin and
The High Frontier by Gerard O'Neill,
and currently I'm reading Zurbin's book The Case for Mars.
It's interesting comparing these two philosophies on how we make our exodus from Earth. It's from Entering Space that I figured that my career is going to be in space or on Mars, where I hope/pray I can live as a colonist.
Anyway, the career path is as follows:
-astronautical/transportation engineering
-physics/math
-architecture/civil engineering
-ancient Roman history
-business/management
Those will help me become possible:
-(self-employed) astronautical/transport engineer(ing consultant) designing Mars rockets, maglev trains, and other transports for space manufacturing companies
-(self-employed) architect/civil engineer(ing consultant) designing Martian buildings, domes, water systems, ISPP plants, and other colonial needs (Roman architecture is ideal)
Other careers I'm considering: like Roman historian and theoretical physicist, may not have much relevance to the first few Mars missions. They would come in probably come in handy when the first colleges and universities get set up on Mars.

Fed Man, if you don't know what to choose, go with both. Or, you could think of what it is that you want to accomplish on Mars. If it's more like my second choice, go for major in architecture and maybe minor in chem. engineering. If it's more like terraforming or propellant-related, then vise versa on majors. Perhaps it's better for you to get a dual degree: I know for me that a physics/engineering or math/engineering dual degree will be a lot easier/better for me, maybe it'll be that way for you, I dont know. Good luck to you!

"The government that governs least, governs best"
-Thomas Jefferson

#16 2007-08-27 12:14:45

Terraformer
Website

I'm stuck between genetic engineering and physics.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

Board footer