New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1876 2021-01-18 07:21:48

tahanson43206

Re: Politics

For Quaoar re #1875

Picking up on your point about education and respect for the rules .... While I don't have hard data to work with, I have the impression funding for civics classes has been reduced in American schools as the pressure of expense causes budget adjustment.  As Americans try to address the many issues revealed by the current situation, restoration of education in how the Constitution is supposed to work might be worth considering.

(th)

#1877 2021-01-18 13:42:41

Quaoar

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Quaoar re #1875

Picking up on your point about education and respect for the rules .... While I don't have hard data to work with, I have the impression funding for civics classes has been reduced in American schools as the pressure of expense causes budget adjustment.  As Americans try to address the many issues revealed by the current situation, restoration of education in how the Constitution is supposed to work might be worth considering.

(th)

It happened even in Italy: every government who takes office does first thing public instruction and health-care cuts. That's why we have a lot of uneducated people unable to understand how to correctly wear a mask and consequently more than 2,300,000 confirmed cases of covid-19 and 81,800 deaths, and we are in good position to win the silver medal in that sad European championship.

Last edited by Quaoar (2021-01-18 13:44:33)

#1878 2021-01-18 20:09:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

The US seems to be heading for #1....

The insurrection used Parlor to communicate and Amazon pulled the plug on it but guess whom has picked it up as Parler partially reappears with support from Russian technology firm

#1879 2021-01-18 20:22:32

louis

Do you actually believe any of this crap ?

There was no insurrection. Are you telling me the FBI, CIA,  DOJ, DC police and Capitol security are so stupid that they said: "Hey guys, weve got an insurrection on our hands...we better have ONE police officer on duty on the steps of the main entrance to the Capitol. Really?

SpaceNut wrote:

The US seems to be heading for #1....

The insurrection used Parlor to communicate and Amazon pulled the plug on it but guess whom has picked it up as Parler partially reappears with support from Russian technology firm

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#1881 2021-01-19 02:29:48

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Apparently, a guy wearing a Chewbacca bikini is a greater threat to the US than countries with nuclear weapons.  Snapping back to reality here, if anyone here thinks that was an insurrection, one it was laughably pitiful and two, I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn I'd be willing to sell to you.  Seriously, you lefties need to quit worrying about what your own loonies were busy doing for six months straight.  Remember the nightly firebombings of the federal court house in Portland, Oregon?  If that's not insurrection, then men wearing bikinis while storming the Capitol is a joke, but you can't seem to find that sense of humor that was never issued to you.

#1882 2021-01-19 02:49:54

Calliban

Biden's Keynsian economic policies spell doom for the US dollar.
https://www.goldmoney.com/research/gold … lure-of-qe

'In this current fiscal year, just to fund budget deficits and in the absence of net foreign demand for US Treasuries, QE is likely to escalate to a monthly average of $450bn. Almost impossible with a stable exchange rate, but with the dollar being sold down on foreign exchanges and for commodities, the everything dollar bubble will almost certainly collapse.'

'Now that the US has elected a new president who will appoint a new administration, we must forget recent political events and focus on future economic and monetary policies. It is a statement of the obvious that President-elect Biden and his new Treasury Secretary will be naturally more Keynesian than Trump and Mnuchin, and it is likely that the economic focus will be more on stimulating consumption than on supply side economics. Policies are likely to be closer to modern monetary theory, which is highly inflationary — certainly much more so than under Trump’s presidency.'

The Keynsian myth is an idea in politicians minds that the economy is some kind of metaphysical money machine that can be stimulated by spending an inflated money supply.  For some reason, a significant subset of human beings seem to have lost sight of the fact that money is simply a medium of exchange and a claim on future physical goods produced by real businesses.  By inflating money supply, all that one achieves is to undermine the value of the currency.  So far, inflation has been concentrated within asset markets, such as stocks, bonds and real estate.  This has contained the damage up to this point.  But Keynsian policies that deliver helicopter money to citizens will result in that extra money being spent on goods and services.  This will result in a loss of dollar purchasing power.

For some reason, the idea that the economy is a machine that consumes energy and materials to produce goods and services has escaped the thinking of politicians and even many scientists.  They continue to believe that it is the one human innovation that does not follow the laws of physics.  Instead of developing a physics based theory of human interactions (which we call the economy) the ruling classes insist on clinging to this bizarre set of theories, which are really just correlations and speculations.

The situation has grown so absurd that many economists and politicians alike fancy that they can even decouple economic growth from real physical resources.  This is the same mindset that believes in the use of monetary policy as a tool for growth.  It is completely blind to the fact that human wealth is always an expression of physical work on matter.  If you want a physical good like car or a television, energy must be expended to rework materials that were dug out of the ground.  If you want that television or car delivered to your house, energy must be expended moving that good from one place to another.  All human wealth is a function of energy supply not money, which is really just a human invention designed to keep score.  The American way of life is collapsing being energy resources are depleting.  Spending money that is conjured out of thin air will clearly do nothing to reverse this.

Last edited by Calliban (2021-01-19 03:05:03)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#1883 2021-01-19 12:54:25

Calliban

Now the left owns it all.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/now … wns-it-all

Patrick Buchanon would have been a superb president.  All of the things that Trump should have been, but never really was.  A genuine patriot, rather than a flag waving, civic nationalist and populist.

Now that the far left control the presidency, the house and senate, America's decline is certain and will dramatically hasten.  The dems and deep state will take action to ensure that they can never be removed from power again.  Expect their economic policies to destroy the US Dollar and their broader social policies to pack America with non-white immigration.  Expect them to pack the Supreme Court and make Puerto Rico into a state.  Anything to undermine those pesky white Americans that dared to vote against them.  Very likely, their Keynsian policies will bring about another great recession.  Not that they need worry.  The only people that do not vote for them by default, are the European Americans that will be a racial minority by the next election.  Oh and I am sure that people as ruthless as the far left wouldn't dream of cheating their way into power.

Do you want to know how humanity will live on Mars?  Then write an e-mail asking the Chinese Space agency.  They will be the only ones capable of doing it by the end of this decade.  The US will not be a credible competitor four years from now.

Last edited by Calliban (2021-01-19 13:09:56)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#1884 2021-02-15 10:32:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

image%2B%25283%2529.png

#1885 2021-02-15 11:03:29

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

It's time that Democrats stop obsessing over a man who does not hold office.

#1886 2021-02-25 13:00:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

The tax evasion shield is down after 18 months and Trump’s tax returns have been turned over to Manhattan district attorney with many a case lining up....

#1887 2021-02-25 14:13:48

Calliban

In the mean time, the US (and the entire world) are edging ever closer to a new Great Depression, with the US leadership apparently clueless to this fact and destined to carry the can for it.  It will mean the end of many fiat currencies, including the US Dollar as global reserve currency.  And it will plunge millions of Americans into hardship that hasn't been experienced by most families for 100 years.

https://surplusenergyeconomics.wordpres … -unrolled/

But by all means, focus your attentions on the Orange Man's tax returns.  And keep inflating national debt levels for political pet projects.

#1888 2021-02-28 10:28:14

RobertDyck
Website

Saw this on Facebook today. Interesting. What does this mean?
154237274_224033616098073_6786518207089757791_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=wo0_7spMMG8AX_kEfJE&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&tp=14&oh=4c3d6a890024fe0065893529f64c2e29&oe=6060A514

#1889 2021-02-28 10:57:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

Nice distortion as they would have frozen being in the open would only make that worse to protest not having power..those that were helping came from other places prepared to fix pipes and give aid.

#1890 2021-02-28 19:10:43

RobertDyck
Website

Looting over BLM doesn't make sense either. BLM incidents are horrible, but looting does not solve anything. Business owners are not government and certainly not police.

#1891 2021-02-28 20:16:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

The blm was a cover for others to hide behind which had nothing to do with the peaceful but once the night occurred to aid in masking the non blm it was something totally different.

#1892 2021-02-28 22:20:29

RobertDyck
Website

Perhaps you guys could tell me if this is true.
155525021_3994575437229883_7695558154569136590_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=U0Grm3BpxvUAX9fAWJo&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=19f2acf2a1d4de4f770d37fc0f5450f8&oe=60633BE1

Peter Toth wrote:

BTW, I checked the Texas Government web site, and Bill HB196 does in fact exist. The only error in this post is that it does not address the "Castle Law", rather it goes after the "Stand Your Ground" law. This difference is nit picking at best, but will be what the far left will latch onto and claim that this is "Entirely False". Which is a complete lie!

Here in Canada, the law prohibits anyone from using lethal force. To defend your home, you are supposed to use minimum force necessary, but are allowed to use whatever force is necessary. Anything short of lethal. However, there are people who believe you're not supposed to defend your property.

I was told a story. One individual in his late 30s lived with his parents and had a night job. He went to bed upstairs, his senior citizen parents went out for the day. He heard something downstairs, so went down to see what's going on. He saw two teenage boys ransacking the place. He grabbed a baseball bat and confronted them. One teenager threatened him, so he whacked the guy upside the head with the baseball bat. The teenager fell to the ground, not moving, with a concussion. The other teenager froze. The man told the teenager to shut up and sit down. Then called the police. He stood over them with the baseball bat until the police arrived. The teenager who was knocked down lived. That's what you're supposed to do.

When I worked at 7-Eleven, I was told I'm not supposed to physically stop shop lifters, and don't physically resist armed robbery. However, the store manager and assistant manager did insist that I recover property. I found being firm and getting in the way so a shop lifter can't leave was usually enough; I could intimidate even the most burly looking miscreant. But there was a teenager who refused to surrender product. I grabbed his arm and pulled the sandwich from his sleeve. Yea, I saw him take it, and saw the bulge in his sleeve, there wasn't any doubt. I was told of other 7-Eleven stores robbed at knife point, but while I was working there, no one dared rob my store.

Last summer the Liquor Mart told employees they're not supposed to stop shop lifters. The result was criminals loaded up and just walked out with all the booze they could carry. In one case, a large group of criminals raided a store. One clerk spoke firmly but did not physically intervene, as she was told. One of the criminals came over and punched her so hard she got a concussion. I witnessed several incidents, including one where a security guard did nothing but follow the criminal and demand he stop while doing nothing. That's the whole job of the security guards! They didn't do their job! The law here does allow store employees and store owners to physically defend their store. I'm told Food Fair grocery stores issue a baseball bat to every cash register. The crap the Liquor Mart did just encourages criminals, endangering everyone else.

Please tell me this crap is not happening in Texas.

#1893 2021-03-01 00:39:57

kbd512
Administrator

Robert,

If scribbling something on a piece of paper prevented anyone from resorting to violence, then prisons and weapons would be superfluous.  Since chicken scratch clearly doesn't prevent anyone from doing anything, the very idea that you can declare violence illegal is laughably absurd.  Then again, we're talking about morons who commit their idiocy to paper so that they entire world knows that they're morons.

Here in Texas looters get shot.  If you break into anyone's home, you should fully expect to get shot.  That's what will happen in most cases, because most homeowners are armed.  If you don't want to get shot, then don't break into homes and businesses.  It really is that simple.  I don't much care how anyone feels about that.  If someone doesn't like that, then they should stay out of Texas.  Grandma shouldn't have to deal with a gang of street thugs breaking down her door using her hair pin and rape whistle.  If you can find a liquor store with a clerk who doesn't have a 12 gauge behind the counter, then maybe you can get a free beer.  I would never bet my life on it, although every so often a couple of idiots with pistols "discover" that they're not the only ones with guns.

If someone breaks into my home, it's not my duty to run away from a place I have a lawful right to be.  I'm for damn sure never going to cooperate with someone who breaks into my home.  It's my responsibility to make sure that the people who have a lawful right to be in my home don't get hurt.  The best way to do that is to convince people who don't have a lawful right to be in my home to leave and go elsewhere.  Whether said criminals leave horizontally in a plastic bag or upright and moving under their own power is entirely up to them.  Dead intruders can't sue anyone, so that part of her proposal will only ensure that robbers never break the law twice.

I don't have a clue who Terry Meza is and I'm glad I don't, because she sounds like another moron with more feelings than uncommon sense.  Thieves carry weapons to intimidate others into giving them what they want and murdering anyone who doesn't.  People like Terry Meza are only kept from harm by the efforts of infinitely better men and women than her.  Every law that the Democrats want to pass or overturn is intended to directly benefit violent criminals and prevent law abiding citizens from defending their right to live peaceably.  None of them believe any individual person has a right to live.  We've been dealing with their special brand of stupid for many years.

#1894 2021-03-01 01:15:04

kbd512
Administrator

I'm sure no Democrats are paying attention, but Biden bombed Syria prior to passing COVID relief.  If you still can't figure out where the American people rank in the list of priorities of the people you voted for, then nobody can help you.

#1895 2021-03-01 17:32:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes I saw but am limited to a screen of a cellphone for a few more days for real reading to determine why it was done.

#1896 2021-03-01 20:29:11

kbd512
Administrator

This is why I've slowly been coming around to the idea of universal healthcare and college.  There's always money to kill people who couldn't pose a credible threat to us if they tried, but there's never any money for our own people.  It's becoming ridiculously transparent, and it doesn't matter who you vote for, either, apparently.

#1897 2021-03-02 14:07:28

RobertDyck
Website

Chkwy5cUgAEgXu2.jpg
3fk66r1ko4711.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=c578d0c99ea8ff5206a8908110d35404765805b0

#1898 2021-03-02 17:26:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

Is that another prediction..

#1899 2021-03-02 18:33:18

RobertDyck
Website

SpaceNut wrote:

Is that another prediction..

There are some fans of Donald Trump here in my city. One guy I worked with, and a couple customers. So I had to take a closer look at the issues. Voters have been upset for a very long time that it doesn't matter which party is elected, is the same shit. Donald Trump was not "establishment" and promised to fix problems that establishment candidates refused to even acknowledge. Of course he wasn't effective, but at least he tried. I'm not a Donald Trump fan, but notice kbd512 said "it doesn't matter who you vote for". I'm also disappointed that Joe Biden already ordered bombing of Syria. The US needs to stop picking fights with other countries, stop using military to meddle in their internal politics. He said he wants to be President for all Americans, not just those who voted for him. That sounds good, but doing so means stop dropping bombs on people. Stop creating an excuse to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on war materiel, just to support war profiteers. Instead focus on Americans.

I heard American citizens claim it may already be time for a new revolution, because government is out of control and elections don't fix anything. I've heard this from American friends since 1990. Democrats blame Trump for storming Congress, but this has been coming for 3 decades. Will it escalate further? Again, it's not about Trump. Ruby Ridge and the Branch Davidians of Waco Texas were about Bill Clinton sending a message to "citizen militias". That was 1992 & 1993 respectively. Yes, it's been coming that long. I've tried to convince my American friends to deal with problems through elections, not violence. I don't like Trump, never have, but at least he was a non-establishment candidate who got somewhere. Will Joe Biden's team try to go back to business as usual? Ensure the rich are in control? Will he start another war simply to justify military spending?

How about a list? Things that I believe must be done if Joe Biden truly wants to be "President for everyone".

• Continental energy independence. Stop importing oil from the Middle East. The Keystone XL pipeline was supposed to bring massive quantities of heavy oil from Canada. Mexico was producing oil, but for some reason the US isn't buying any more. Whatever it takes, stop importing oil.

• Close most overseas military bases. Sure, new allies in Eastern Europe need help, but Western Europe doesn't. You can retain alliances with Western Europe without occupying them. North Korea is an issue, but Japan can take care of themselves. You can retain alliance with Japan without bases there. Again, close most overseas bases, bring troops home.

• Cut military spending to the same level as year 2000, plus inflation. The last year the federal government had a balanced budget. That includes overseas operations, Department of Energy (nuclear weapons, military nuclear reactors, etc), and all other "national security". That would cut total military and national security spending by about 1/3. Right now the focus should be COVID-19, not bombs.

• Cancel construction of Gerald R. Ford class aircraft carriers. Currently there is 1 in service, 1 completed but not yet in service, 1 under construction, and 1 more ordered. Plan is 10, to replace Nimitz class. So stop with 4, and mothball all Nimitz. Currently 2 Kitty Hawk class carriers are laid-up, and 1 Enterprise class (6 were planned, but only 1 built). Scrap the laid-up ships, use those slips to mothball Nimitz carriers.

• Overturn "Citizens United". Yes, the Supreme Court decision. That undermines democracy. If doing so requires a new Constitutional amendment, then do it. If it requires impeaching a Justice, then do it. Whatever, get it done!

• Fix healthcare. Obamacare hasn't worked. It was based on Mitt Romney's healthcare plan from Massachusetts in 2006. That was an attempt to get bipartisan support. It didn't work, Republicans fought tooth-and-nail. So find an affordable plan. If you want me to propose one, I would suggest adopting Canada's plan as-is, without modification. My idea would absorb Medicare and Medicaid into the new one. Bernie Sander's plan goes beyond what Canada has now. If you don't like it, then devise a better one. But something has to be done to make it affordable!

And of course I would like NASA to get something done, not waste money on Lunar Gateway or other silly things. But posting about space here is preaching to the choir. We could discuss that elsewhere, but I think everyone has heard it anyway.

#1900 2021-03-02 19:22:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

Healthcare only works when you take the insurance companies out of the equation and stop fees that are based on those that do not pay for over chargib5 the insurer's.
Oil pipeline cost of delivered product with safe none polluting is why it's not happening as well as trampling on property owner rights....

Board footer