New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2020-03-29 11:45:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: JOBS Jobs Jobs why are there none

From robotics topic... The employment of people in industry that is from home is a reason to change in light of the corona virus but thats just creating another sub category of service providing worker which as indicated are low paying jobs.
For my work I would not only need computer secure high speed internet access but would also need robotic picking machines, inventory access and so much more that would not be appart of my expenses for doing work at home but would be borne by the employer to which that comes back to the cost of efficiency of change.

#27 2020-03-29 12:32:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... this topic is about why there are NO jobs!

If you want to create a topic that is about CREATING jobs, that would be a much better fit for telepresence/teleoperation equipment.

If you and millions of other workers CANNOT go back to work in crowded facilities, it will be necessary for employers and their societies to think long and hard about what "cost of efficiency of change" might mean.

The answer to the question posed by the topic seems pretty clear:  there are NO jobs, because the societies of Earth did not prepare adequately for a biological pandemic.  For most leaders (as nearly as I can tell) lack of vision and myopic thinking have been pervasive for many decades.

A few (very few) leaders have tried to prepare the United States (and possibly other countries) for a pandemic, but few had any lasting effect.

The ability to plan for an uncertain future is not a human strength.

I've seen the argument that we humans can't prepare for every disaster that might befall us.  But failure to prepare for a pandemic is inexcusable, since such events have occurred periodically for hundreds of years, and according to some accounts, for thousands of years.

(th)

#28 2020-03-29 14:31:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its one and the same for a nation that resists change saying that robotics is taking my job and what will I do for work. As the businesses are not retraining people for new skill sets required by what just replaced the one in which they were go at and thats been going on since the 80's.

The issue is not really that there is no jobs but more about what a business will pay for that job and how they will cheat the people of a wage for that job so that they only work 1 for a full 40hr work week with chance to get overtime, benefits ect and not having several part time jobs with no benefits.

Businesses only make jobs local for what they can exploit by moving to a new local and a local only will produce a business if some one has the funds and know how to run one for profit. So a job whether its stay at home or going to a employment site are little different in the end run as its about the business economics of them making a profit.

As far as the pandemic jobs they had warning and ignored it...most business model have a lean approach to stocked warehouses as they feel its tying up there funds again a model of the 90's. But from any other stance if lean means zero you are not working and have nothing to do the work with. So does the governments stock pile system have a place in this is why we are having shortages and no ability to make whats needed just as much as having nothing to use for those that normally make goods.

So you can have all the automation, robotics in the world to produce goods but if they continue to produce products that cost more than doing it the tried and true methods then we are not going to change as corporations put the automations profits ahead of the people which must be able to buy there products that work for them. The forces you to buy cheap products from other countries and causes the shutdown of plants which once did make them state side.

We also have another issue in planned obsolesence of products by some industries not making a product to last but making it throw away and not repairable.

In short businesses make businesses and not jobs, they are a result of how the model works to product the goods from the business that jobs get created.

#29 2020-03-31 11:05:09

tahanson43206

For the record, I did NOT choose this topic title.  It was created by SpaceNut, and my name was assigned to it.

I am a relentlessly optimistic person, and would not create a title that is negative, pessimistic or otherwise debilitating.

In my opinion, life is too short to waste any of it on gloom and doom.

However, I recognize that some folks are born with a genetic trait for seeing the dark side of everything.  I have to believe evolution has enforced that trait, by seeing to it that those who are appropriately cautious are rewarded with offspring, when their more venturesome or careless brethren are eliminated from the pool of candidates.

With that preface out of the way, here is an observation for a possible avenue for employment in the near term (late March 2020 on Earth):

Persons who have successfully completed a bout with COVID-19 and have antibodies ** should ** be in high demand for occupations where individuals must interact with uninfected (or infected) members of the population in order to carry out essential services.

What I'd appreciate would be any forum member who learns of an antibody test posting that news in the COVID-19 topic.

There needs to be a way for persons who are "safe" for employment to connect with employers who need their services.

(th)

#30 2020-03-31 14:59:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Giving blood is a voluteering aspect of giving for others. The aspects of doing so for antibodies only works if the person had been tested for the virus and confirmed by that test to ensure that we are using blood that contains the correct antibody and not something else. The goals of the pharmacutical companies is to find that magic bullet to manufacture in quantities but we are in a long drawn out process at this point for safety to all.

Many a popup diner trucks have been created in the area to serve the walk up food service of take out so long as social distancing stays in everyones mind.

That is job creation as it might have more than the owner doing the work and hopefully they can make money doing so such as to stay open long after the virus has run its course.

We still have many an empty building for more jobs to be created within but what should these jobs be?
Are they service, manufacturing, R&D, non profit ect.?

Something else that is changing is the lowering of the part time employee numbers for the services as the companies are switching many to full time employees even if they are not getting anything more for hazard pay increase during this time of essential jobs.

Tele jobs are a part of a corporate business model that happens as a result of need for the business as I am sure that no one with a computer and cameras can just up and run a mars rover...as they have people that work for them to do so.

There is another busines that is blooming once more in the fitness craze as The At-Home Workout You Can Do in 20 Minutes
Some of this is free and others not so much when its a celebrity.

#31 2020-04-05 19:35:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

A Widening Toll on Jobs: 'This Thing Is Going to Come for Us All'

Not everything is considered essential and while I looked at the list for my state NH its still got many businesses still open. Its the social distancing and age to chronic health issues that are putting the brakes on some. Not just the definition as to what is considered essental.

Places that closed that did so are eat in restaraunts which could be still open for take out and delivery should they staff accordiangly so as to not need to close until this is over or for good in some case. The list goes on with how we can change to meet the demands of the new situation and thats what some should be doing.

Then there is the giving of hope by calling the layed off worker, communicating the desire to retain them once they are allowed to open.
Of course thats a two way street for communications that we all need to do for our own good.
We have known for some time now that the brick and mortar only model does not mean success and that we needed to change to the times or it would pass us by.

The coronavirus is taking a toll on many sectors of the economy

We have the $2 trillion stimulus bill aimed to help individuals and businesses to fall back on so spend it wisely.

The trasmission for the disease by flying was very much a tell for the Airlines going into a holding pattern until its over and a better means to protect passengers are engineered into the planes.

While new Auto Manufacturing is not essential they are being used to make other things in the time of a war on a virus and they will still be needed to do so for a while. Sure the essential needs of a running vehicle will not change only the requirement for something that runs...

I think this is the wrong reason to not get to working as its social and warm weather is hear.

Although the construction industry is pushing to be seen as “essential” to keep their projects running, there could still be some major impacts to the industry. The shutdown of the production of construction materials in China could lead to material delays and more expensive materials stateside, Construction Dive reported.

There is alot of bad bridges and roads to be worked on while its good weather.

All the major cruise lines have ceased operations as countries continue to close their ports.

This one falls inline with airplanes as its a death sentence for wildfire virus spread; so medical testing and sampling must happen to protect all nations of travel and its most prescious of cargo the people that bought tickets to enjoy life with.

There are more slides but you can see what needs to happen...change...not denial.

#32 2021-01-16 17:21:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

#33 2021-10-10 18:40:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well a local Cumberland farms employee was making $11 / hr with a 40 hour work week but that was still not enough pay so he walked about 600 ft to a home depot and got hired for $14 / hr and full time keeping a part time 20 hrs at the Cumberland farms.
Saw another store front convenience store sign advertising paying $18 to $ 20 start as retail experienced. Yet the states minimum wage is 7.25....
So what is the wage for a middle class person in my state?

What Income Level Is Considered Middle Class in Your State?

New Hampshire

2-person family middle-class income range: $51,969.89 to $155,134
    3-person family middle-class income range: $63,278.82 to $188,892
    4-person family middle-class income range: $77,816.48 to $232,288

so a child means I need 11,309 to 33,758 when they are not earning any income...

no wonder we can not figure it out

#34 2021-10-10 18:49:37

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

If retail is paying $20/hr for a starting position, do we still need a federally-mandated $15/hr minimum wage, or did the combination of the government and the market take care of that problem on its own?

By my count, a pair of working parents are making $83,200 by working retail jobs in your state, which is considerably more than a pair of college educated people working in IT jobs (my wife and I) made when we were starting out.  You can certainly tax them to death by taxing businesses to death, but that won't improve their free cash flow.

Jobs are available for anyone who wants to work.  Jobs are not being sought after by people that the government is paying more not to work, than they previously made in their 9-to-5 jobs.

#35 2021-10-10 18:57:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes some business are paying to keep capable employees but not giving any pay adjustments to those already working for them and that is why they are putting out the higher wage to start.
Those still sticking to the lower state wage levels will soon be out of business for lack of anyone willing to work for peanuts.
Ya I hear you on the wages for IT or computer industry as I started at $5.90 an hr back in 1982 but then again multiply by 10 for today's comparison to what they would be paying now.

#36 2021-10-10 19:12:19

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

We don't have a shortage of jobs, pay is up across the board, yet we still can't get enough workers, even with the people we import from foreign countries.  There is a shortage of skilled workers, but for some reason we don't want to import those people.  My wife's sister can't come to America, yet she's a college-educated person who has worked for automotive manufacturers in Viet Nam for about 20 years now.  Her husband was a school teacher who taught in primary school, but he recently died of liver-related issues.

Why are they still at the back of the line, while hordes of illegals who never show up for immigration hearings stream across our border?

#37 2021-10-10 19:33:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sounds like she could fix America's auto industry and could possibly do so with the right location to build them.

The grass is so much greener here as comparison to the countries that they are coming from and that is why they travel so far to have that better life.
So how does a fence stop that yearning and feeling to have a better life than that they are fleeing from?

#38 2021-10-10 20:03:16

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

People who come here with the intention of following our laws will show up for their court hearings.  Citizens get arrested when they don't.  Why are illegal aliens so special that they don't have to show up in court?

#39 2021-10-10 20:08:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Must be a language thing and then lack of traceability to find them once they are a no show.

Seems like if they are not running from a fence that we are having trouble with identifying them.

#40 2021-10-10 20:12:27

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

They tell these people to show up for their court hearings in Spanish or any other language that they might speak.  It's a criminal / cultural problem, not an issue with understanding what laws are, or the fact that all countries have laws.

#41 2021-10-11 07:46:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Burned out frontline workers are seeking out the lesser evil in their job searches

Workers are switching industries to get away from abuse, burnout, and harassment.
    Experts attributed the industry changes to the lack of well-paying, harassment-free hourly gigs.
    Workers said they recognize every job has its challenges, but they're choosing ones that benefit their mental health.

Flight attendants, like retail workers and nurses, have endured unruly, and at times violent, behavior from customers over the past year. Some Americans are aggressively opposing mask mandates, while others might be lashing out due to the trauma of the pandemic, experts and workers said.
After months of coping with the abuse, many front line workers are desperate to find different jobs with new problems that they're not used to dealing with, gigs that represent the lesser evil. That means beleaguered restaurant staff want to work at warehouses. Tired warehouse workers are desperate to get into retail. Exhausted retail workers are pondering going back to nursing school. And so on.

Sounds like each step is an increase of income.

#42 2021-10-11 19:11:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

‘A job is not just a job’: Why some unemployed people aren’t jumping at job openings

Hard to get a job as the article implies for when you send in an application an 90% of the time you get no reply to it being received.
I have also seen this in that the labor-force participation rate for U.S. adults 55 and older was just above 40% are retiring rather than continue working.
We have way more to consider in getting a job.

“It’s wages, schedule, the number of hours, benefits, location”

With that short list insurance, transportation costs and hours spent per day going to work and home and so much more.

#43 2021-10-12 17:04:47

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

I've had that experience, and have applied to around a hundred positions before getting several interviews and a handful of offers.  My wife has had the same experience.  Sometimes you get hired within a week, sometimes you won't get hired for six months or more.  It's hard for me to say what potential employers are actually looking for, and sometimes they don't know.

#44 2021-10-16 19:00:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

Why American workers are quitting in record numbers are quitting at high rates in every industry especially pronounced for front-line businesses like restaurants, hotels, retail stores and health care providers.
Some of the most recent are the covid-19 mandates of get a shot of any type...

“Frontline workers in health care, child care, hospitality and food service industries, pushed to the brink of human endurance, decide that the grueling hours, inadequate pay, lack of balance and abuse by employers and clientele are no longer acceptable trade-offs for their mental and physical well-being.”

Taking a higher paying job with out the conditions of rude customers is a plus...

#45 2021-10-25 18:51:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

In Georgia, Kentucky and Idaho, more than 4% of workers voluntarily left their jobs in August — the highest rates in the country.

Perhaps not coincidentally, those three are among the states with the nation's lowest minimum wage — the federally mandated rate of $7.25 an hour. States with more generous baseline wages tended to have a lower "quits" rate, or the percentage of workers who handed in their resignations, recent federal labor data show.

Then again states with higher minimum wages are not have such a level of those leaving their jobs.

second source to have the same states
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business … oer-jolts/

Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey Data

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jltst.nr0.htm

#46 2021-10-25 19:45:38

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Where in those states have they left their jobs?

#47 2021-10-26 20:08:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think that for most its that feeling of never getting ahead at the current job that has lead to many job hoping to find higher wages.
So a percent higher than the national average.

https://www.wrdw.com/2021/10/26/why-are … igh-rates/

• The pandemic has encouraged some people to reevaluate their work and life balance.

“Because we have seen this demand for labor. People are looking at the job market and seeing what’s available. If you are wanting to retain your employees you may have to watch the market demand"

Where-Americans-are-quitting-at-the-highest-rates.png

https://www.winknews.com/2021/10/26/geo … ting-jobs/

Americans are also still struggling with the pandemic and fears about COVID-19 infections: 4 of 10 people who quit their job were either working in leisure and hospitality industries, such as restaurants, or in retail locations. (The share of workers in hospitality jobs in Georgia, Kentucky and Idaho are roughly on par with the national rate.)

At the same time, workers are facing higher costs for everything from groceries to housing because of rising inflation. Higher bills may be prompting some people to search for better-paying jobs. Others are quitting to start their own businesses, leading to a record number of entrepreneurs hanging out their shingles.

So fear and burnout....

#48 2021-10-26 20:54:32

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

I don't think it's possible to get ahead at this point.

I've held jobs since 16 and I was in the Navy by age 17.  I still barely have two nickels to rub together at the end of each year.

Medical bills, student loans, mortgage payments, car loan payments, insurances, taxes, groceries, and the list goes on...

#49 2021-10-26 21:29:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

I know the feeling and while I am better off at this point winter is a hard situation with rising costs on everything will mean I will be back to threading water soon if string of bad luck continues....

#50 2021-10-27 15:15:34

kbd512
Administrator

I just watched a Miso Robotics commercial demonstrating a robot preparing pretty much all of the food in a fast food restaurant's kitchen.

There might be a $15 minimum wage for 1 or 2 employees per shift, but they will be the only people getting paid.

As soon as the robotics companies figure out how to reliably package the food, then it'll be 1 employee per shift.

Board footer