New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-07-14 09:28:40

dickbill

Re: Containment - Containment

*Maybe I shouldn't admit it...but Terran meteorites on Mars hadn't occurred to me before.  Maybe I'm more Earthocentric than I realize?  Interesting thought though...and yes, quite likely!

Hi Cindy,

If you can read french, I suggest you visit the site of Nirgal in France, the best Mars site ever,  and check the meteorites table.
http://www.nirgal.net/meteori_table.html

then go to Zagami. That martian meteorite has been found on earth in 1962, but in 1996 a piece of it has been inserted inside the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft which is now orbiting Mars, hence, this is the first time in history that a meteorite has done the trip both way to be back to its planet of origin, MArs. Isn't it a cute story ?

#27 2003-07-15 08:37:20

Palomar

dickbill:  If you can read french, I suggest you visit the site of Nirgal in France, the best Mars site ever,  and check the meteorites table.
http://www.nirgal.net/meteori_table.html

*Hi dickbill.  I'm afraid I cannot read French, however I can use Babelfish to translate.  smile

dickbill:  then go to Zagami. That martian meteorite has been found on earth in 1962, but in 1996 a piece of it has been inserted inside the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft which is now orbiting Mars, hence, this is the first time in history that a meteorite has done the trip both way to be back to its planet of origin, MArs. Isn't it a cute story ?

*Hmmmmm.  Why would they put a piece of it in the MGS?  For what purpose?  Interesting, but seems impractical.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#28 2003-07-15 10:38:54

dickbill

*Hmmmmm.  Why would they put a piece of it in the MGS?  For what purpose?  Interesting, but seems impractical.

For no practical purpose, maybe phylosophical or aesthetic maybe. Only man intervention allows such funny intervention. It shows the power of Man over Nature: a martian meteorit found on Earth is bring back to Mars.
I guess we have to imagine some kind of "consciousness" to this stone, isolated for millions of years far away from home, alone on an alien planet, which now is so happy to be back to its motherplanet aboard MGS.
You should have tears in your eyes now.

#29 2003-07-15 11:02:45

Palomar

For no practical purpose, maybe phylosophical or aesthetic maybe. Only man intervention allows such funny intervention. It shows the power of Man over Nature: a martian meteorit found on Earth is bring back to Mars.
I guess we have to imagine some kind of "consciousness" to this stone, isolated for millions of years far away from home, alone on an alien planet, which now is so happy to be back to its motherplanet aboard MGS.
You should have tears in your eyes now.

*Dickbill, you succeeded in tugging at my heart strings! 

Yes, I see your wonderfully-worded point.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#30 2003-07-15 17:38:02

Josh Cryer

That martian meteorite has been found on earth in 1962, but in 1996 a piece of it has been inserted inside the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft which is now orbiting Mars, hence, this is the first time in history that a meteorite has done the trip both way to be back to its planet of origin, MArs. Isn't it a cute story ?

Wow, I didn't know that. That's simply amazing. smile

Thank you for sharing this dickbill. I definitely have tears in my eyes. :;):

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#31 2003-07-18 12:14:42

Algol

Its probably worth pointing out that the scientists arent worried about martian microbes contaminating the earth. The samples are quarintined because they are worried about the earth contaminating the samples. They need uncontaminated and unafected samples to study soil compositions and surface conditions, and of course to see if there are any microbes there.

#32 2003-07-19 09:27:17

dicktice

Why haven't we planned to send a colony of different small animals--you choose what kind--to be exposed to "Mars materials," inserted by means of one-way hatches into the hermetically sealed lander ... observing the result by remote-presence video and diagnosis telemetry ... destroying the vehicle completely (how?) if they die horribly, of some alien disease or...? I certainly wouldn't endorse bringing back any such materials, even to LEO, without some such intermediate on-the-spot virus, etc testing while on Mars. Better, a none-return "Mars First" expedition ... with a promise to send replacements and/or return means of transportation, if still wanted; when-and-if the first explorers survive. Any volunteers?

#33 2003-07-22 15:49:57

dicktice

We would see them die horribly, at worst. (Rather them than us.) I assume by then, we'll have mastered AIDS, and the like, automated detection. And unexposed, "control" animals should be sent along as well, to be experimented upon, hopefully to learn what can be done to cure them or make them immune. If nothing can be done remotely, we'll at least know enough (a) not to attempt any remotely sample-returns to LEO, the ISS or Earth(!) and (b) plan on a no-return Mars-First expedition, if cause of whatever cause of illness and/or demise cannot be purged from their return vehicle. On the other hand, if animals survive, and even thrive, in the first instance--it's a GO next time, with humans as well as other animals aboard!

#34 2003-07-22 16:56:46

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

we'll have mastered AIDS, and the like, automated detection.

I don't know about that, but I sure hope they do!

(a) not to attempt any remotely sample-returns to LEO, the ISS or Earth(!) and (b) plan on a no-return Mars-First expedition, if cause of whatever cause of illness and/or demise cannot be purged from their return vehicle. On the other hand, if animals survive, and even thrive, in the first instance--it's a GO next time, with humans as well as other animals aboard!

I think the russians did that with a dog, if I am not mistaken.  It couldn't hurt, IMHO.

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

Board footer