New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2021-01-11 08:55:29

tahanson43206

Sand Navigation Using Helical Screw

Mars has a lot of sand ....

The article at the link below reports on design of a Catamaran capable of hauling itself up onto a beach on Earth.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/t … d=msedgdhp

The idea for a helical screw drive is one I have seen before in an application on Earth ...

That was a machine from (about) the 1930's or so ... It was a farm tractor fitted with helical cylinders for navigation on mud or slush.

As I recall the earlier example, the helical drive devices also served as pontoons.

I'm actually surprised such a practical concept has not been implemented more often.

That said, there are some distinct advantages to a helical drive method for operating on a sand planet ...

Due to the inevitable abrasion which will limit the life of the helical cylinder, it might be a supplement to traditional devices such as wheels.

In any case, this topic is offered for those in the NewMars membership who wish to explore their inventive creativity.

As a reminder, pictures can be created offline, saved in imgur.com, and delivered to this forum via the handy "bbcode" link that imgur.com provides.

If (by chance) a reader who is not already a member would like to contribute to the forum, you are welcome to write:

NewMarsMember * gmail.com

(th)

#2 2021-01-11 11:54:02

tahanson43206

Re: Sand Navigation Using Helical Screw

Here is a (relatively) recent implementation of the concept of a helical screw drive system for a tractor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJE8OheKbo

The label on the machine is a variation on "TURF-TRAC".  There is a real brand "turf trac". 

My impression is this may be a home built concept, but it does remind of the 1930's era version I remember.

(th)

#3 2021-01-11 20:50:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Sand Navigation Using Helical Screw

I saw that the article mentions a screw to bring it onto land but really did not go much into details.
The screw is not a new technology but is one from ancient times that have moved water, sand and more that is still in use for micro power to small stream feed systems where there is more being put into use by the do it yourselfer for small home to communities.
Archimedes' screw and also known as the screw pump, Archimedean screw, or Egyptian screw, is a machine used for transferring water from a low-lying body of water into irrigation ditches. Water is pumped by turning a screw-shaped surface inside a pipe.
Other uses for the Archimedes screw can be used for materials such as powders and grains.
Like you indicated the material must be robust to take the sanding from movement in abrasive surfaces but they can be done....

Board footer