New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#701 2020-12-15 09:34:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: 2019 NCOV a.k.a. Wuhan's Diseases

Sunday I had a sensation on an invading nasal infection on set and used the clorox wips under the nose and into the pasages to render that on set dead in a few hours after doing so. I also have a mask with internal filter opening in which I put a wipe inside it to make a wet mask barrier. I already had a cough and bronchitus so the chances of being able to identify if I was catching can only be done with a test if I get any other symptoms.

Today did recieve work call telling me that the person of interest did come back with a positive resuts from their test. Which means I have been put on complete ROM until in this case the first of the year in which if I come down with the virus I will need to get a test to confirm and recieve a negative test in order to be able to go back to work.

Keeping more than 6 foot distance from family members and wearing mask to make sure they do not catch it if I am positive asymptomatic....

#702 2020-12-15 18:11:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Quarantining is based on 700 year old virus-fighting logic. Here's how to safely shorten your time in isolation, according to science.

Something GW has mentioned in the past as the best method to get through a pandemic.

How mRNA helped scientists create a covid-19 vaccine in record time

The detecting of the virus is done through the same RNA that is pat of the cure....

Watch How Life Develops From One Cell: video

Which makes you wonder if RNA is more critical than ever to understand.

How scientists plan to protect Earth from extraterrestrial germs

Hopefully no new RNA willbe present but even more mind blowing would be DNA...

Breakthrough study might explain why people develop severe COVID-19

Researchers explained recently that interferon-related genetic imbalances might increase the risk of complications in young patients that aren’t expected to develop severe COVID-19. Those genetic problems were always there; they’re not the results of a COVID-19 infection. But no other illness brought them to the surface.

Researchers from the GenOMICC consortium compared the 2,700 ICU patients’ genetic information with samples from healthy volunteers from other studies. They discovered key differences in these five genes: IFNAR2, TYK2, OAS1, DPP9, and CCR. They “partially explain why some people become severely sick with Covid-19, while others are not affected.”

“Our findings reveal that critical illness in Covid-19 is related to at least two biological mechanisms: innate antiviral defenses, which are known to be important early in disease (IFNAR2 and OAS genes), and host-driven inflammatory lung injury, which is a key mechanism of late, life-threatening COVID-19 (DPP9, TYK2, and CCR2),” the researchers wrote.

#703 2020-12-16 13:28:01

Void

------
Well, it seems you are very active on the site at this time, Spacenut.   That is a good sign, you must not be very sick.
I can recomend two products, since I am not a medical profesional.
"Airborne" is something like a vitamin laden fizzy.  You are likely to know what a fizzy is.
I have been told that teachers use it a lot, as they have to deal with the little germ monsters.
You do, at least want to keep your vitamin "D" up, if you are going to get corvid-19.
Another less substantiated product would be "Resveratrol".   This supposedly stimulates the bodies repair mechanisms, emulating what a gym workout might do, or what fasting might do.  See video's from "David Sinclair".
This is of course unproffesional advice, except that vitamin "D" does seem to matter from what I have read.
You should be able to get both products over the counter from a drug store.
Otherwise surely you must take a proper doctors advice and treatments.  I am told that they can reduce your suffering and shorten the time and severity of illness.
Good health to you.
Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-12-16 13:28:19)

Done.

#704 2020-12-16 18:53:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

Feeling ok still

As of Wednesday, more than 306,000 people in the USA have died because of the coronavirus, and the country reported 16.8 million confirmed cases.

With many more to die before we get anywhere near enough vaccines.
Not all vaccines are the same or do the same thing for whom receives
Here's Why These 5 Vaccine Companies May End the Pandemic

I'm referring to
Pfizer (NYSE: PFE), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), AstraZeneca (NASDAQ: AZN), Novavax (NASDAQ: NVAX), Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ).

#705 2020-12-19 17:05:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

With all the masks and barriers being use along with temperature testing we still are having some get through the detection of the virus.
Passenger who died after an emergency on board a flight may have had Covid-19 symptoms, United says

We knew this was bound to happen with this virus as we had already seen that it had done so as mutant coronavirus strain spreads in U.K.

#706 2020-12-21 18:39:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

The  surprise for surviving the virus is a whooper not see coming but Congress has forged an agreement to shield patients from many big, unexpected medical bills — a practice that consumers and politicians have bemoaned for years but that eluded a federal solution until now.

The stimulus bill has passed for aid of 600 in the same way as the much large bill of the past has passed which will leave out those that are dependents over the age of 17 as it did before.
Text of Bills for the Week of Dec. 21, 2020

More of the rules for if you might get money
which basically if you had been declared as a dependent you get nothing....

#707 2020-12-22 09:22:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

The borders or at least paths from the UK are being closed with now a plan for flights to have tests but no solution was given yet for the channel into France.

These countries have recorded cases of the new Covid variant so far all caused by a new variant of covid-19

Its easy call on your French counter parts to finish driving the trucks to destination, driver sanitizes the truck cab before going the last miles and once unloaded bring it back swapping drivers at the border.

#708 2020-12-22 15:31:58

Void

So, this may help define better what is real:
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-12- … veals.html
Quote:

COVID immunity lasts at least eight months, new data reveals

One opinion elsewhere, is that we should likely not need to so much worry about mutations.   The Corona virus does not mutate as fast as flu.
Also that opinion suggested that the "Spike" which the immune system recognizes needs to be viable for the virus to infect people.  Too much mutation would take away it's powers.

But this could be wrong.   But I think that until proven wrong, there is little use in hand wringing.

Too many powers have too much fallen in love with the powers that this topic gives.  It is going to be a a problem for such entities, if they no longer have their current panic/newsfeed/political prancing options.

The human race needs to move on to another and other topics if possible.  Too many other things have been suppressed for too long.

But if we are all going to die, which of course I believe we will. smile , I guess we can spend forever panicking about this particular thing.

Done.

Done.

#709 2020-12-22 17:26:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

One of the most isolate places finally succumbs to the strength of the virus as Antarctica – the last continent without COVID – suddenly has 36 cases, officials say even after taking all sorts of precautions

#710 2020-12-23 10:40:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

We a point in the pandemic in that we need to test and identify the strains of virus so that we can give the correct treatment in a timely manner rather than reacting to percieved death from unknown causes.
Thats a huge change to how medical care is administered for those that do not feel well. In that they will actually need to test and Identify what is the cause for the sick feeling rather than take two aspirins and call me in the morning crap...or stay home covered up, drink plenty of fluids as you have the flu... right.. no I want to know tat th flu type is identified so that we do not first have a large pandemic like the onewe are in, that there is a treatment that on can take to not only prevent but to cure the individual from the ailment....

About time someone got smart and did this... After months of isolation, a ‘hug room’ lets Italian nursing home residents touch family for the first timeBB1cb6ch.img?h=532&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=1419&y=1152

7-foot-tall piece of plexiglass, molded into a three-sided booth. It had four cutout holes, where protective sleeves would be added for arms. It was known, in the strange language of the pandemic, as a “hug room,” but it was less a room than a barrier: residents on one side, relatives on the other.

#711 2020-12-25 20:30:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Another has been Identified Yet another new COVID-19 variant seems to have developed, this one in Nigeria

The discovery could add to new alarm in the pandemic after similar variants were announced in Britain and South Africa, leading to the swift return of international travel restrictions and other measures just as the world enters a major holiday season.

We are going to not keep calling everything the flu and must start identifying and treating with the correct methods....

Unlike the variant seen in the U.K., "we haven't observed such rapid rise of the lineage in Nigeria and do not have evidence to indicate that the P681H variant is contributing to increased transmission of the virus in Nigeria.

The big question can or Could people still be infectious after they're vaccinated for COVID-19?

With this being true for the current vaccines....

"There are two polio vaccines: OPV and IPV — both are great, but serve different purposes. IPV protects the individual better and is safer, but does not interrupt transmission, which OPV does." The same could be true of the coronavirus vaccine.

More data on the UK strain
What the latest science tells us about the variant – and why it’s different SARS-CoV-2

UK variant, known as VUI–202012/01 or lineage B.1.1.7, was first announced by Matt Hancock, the health secretary on 14 December.

https://virological.org/t/preliminary-g … ations/563

The variant carries 14 defining mutations including seven in the spike protein, the protein that mediates entry of the virus into human cells. This is a relatively large number of changes compared to the many variants we have in circulation globally.

#712 2020-12-26 10:26:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

Even with 2 being dispensed vaccines that we are still seeing One COVID patient is dying every 10 minutes in L.A. County with quite possibly other places not doing any better with the surge that was in full swing accross the US.

#713 2020-12-26 11:29:16

GW Johnson
Website

Spacenut:

The vaccines cannot make much difference until around 70+% of people have been vaccinated.  You'll start to see the differences in localized regions that meet the 70+% criterion,  but it won't last with the disease being imported from other regions still not vaccinated.  The effects do get more pronounced as you reach 90% vaccination levels. 

Given the supplies and production rates,  North America and Western Europe,  plus China and Japan,  and maybe Russia if their vaccine really works,  could reach 70% late in 2021.  So that beneficial outcome will NOT happen in 2021!

But,  vaccination cannot have the impact we really need,  until the entire population of the world meets at least the 70% criterion.  That is years away,  even if nothing stood in the way!  And it does in many places,  as I already pointed out.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2020-12-26 11:31:55)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#714 2020-12-26 17:01:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

The vaccines are not just for those which are well but for all people effected as well.

United States cases
Updated Dec 26 at 5:44 PM local
Confirmed          Recovered    Deaths       
19,035,219         8,315,297   334,639   
    +95,945            +10,993      1,037

seems we have a lot still in hospitals clinging to life from these numbers to the tune of 10,385,283...
At current levels of death rate we will lose from that 182,573 more Americans while still adding more....

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- … fects.html

Dec 02, 2020 · Side effects are not unique to COVID-19 vaccine Side effects from vaccines are not uncommon. The seasonal flu shot, for example, can cause fever and fatigue, among other reactions. And the vaccine to prevent shingles can induce shivering, muscle pain and an upset stomach, to name a few.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/c … story.html

Dec 14, 2020 · ‘Absolutely normal’: Covid vaccine side effects are no reason to avoid the shots, doctors say This is not a flaw or a failure, vaccine experts hasten to point out.

#715 2020-12-27 13:16:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

There are news reports reactions but that is true for just about everything we ingest....

The CDC issued new guidance about the COVID-19 vaccine for people with underlying medical conditions

Just knowing how other react and with what types of allergies means we are now just getting the data that would normally have been tested for. So do the research to see what type shot you should get if you do have allergies.....

Seems that both have reported to have had reactions Doctor uses allergy autoinjector to stem his own reaction to Moderna Covid-19 vaccine A physician with a severe shellfish allergy felt symptoms after his shot and was allowed to self-administer epinephrine, Boston Medical Center says.

Alaska reports adverse reaction from Pfizer vaccine in health worker, The patient experienced an anaphylactic reaction and was taken to the emergency room.

Keep in mind that not all vaccines for a disease are for the same thing and get the same results from them. Identify which type is key to not going to get the wrong one....
Blanket labels for a vaccine are not the correct approach for any specific treatment as its not identical....

we only have the two companies with more to follow but
Moderna or Pfizer? Which Company Stands to Gain the Most From Vaccine Rollout with Cost and logistics to determine the ultimate winner

#716 2020-12-28 16:01:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

Symptoms like chills, dehydration, fatigue, and fever, the flu can also be deadly. So, if you’re one of the folks who forgot or has been putting it off, there’s no time like the present. Of course, because it’s a bit later in the season, you might have to do a little research to find a place offering the shot now.

“On a bad year, we could see 30,000 deaths in the United States with the most common being Influenza A and B), you can get a vaccine. It’s worth it to protect yourself sooner rather than later, so go ahead and make the appointment — especially since the flu virus tends to be at its peak in January. The effectiveness of the flu vaccine varies by year, and studies show it generally reduces the risk of illness by 40% to 60%, the CDC notes.

The more severe flu cases there are, the more ICU beds will fill up at a time when hospitals are already overwhelmed by COVID-19 cases. In October Hospital beds for care were filling up for at least 38 states for covid and as the surge continues more states are not being able to keep up.

We may have another vaccine to add to the list of those approved.. Novavax kicks off late-stage vaccine trial

Test trials make sure that we have answered the question is it safe..but like everything safe is a lose term that it might be...

they enrolled up to 30,000 volunteers across about 115 sites in the United States and Mexico, with two-thirds of them receiving the shot 21 days apart and the rest getting placebo.

Novavax lags behind other drugmakers in the global race for COVID-19 vaccine, with shots from Pfizer and Moderna authorized for emergency use in the United States. Johnson and Johnson and AstraZeneca also have phase three trials already under way in the u.s.

#717 2020-12-29 20:20:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

I find this an interesting in that to get to herd immunity even with the vaccines is going to take a long time....
At current rate, it'll be 10 years before Americans are adequately vaccinated against Covid

wow that slow....

#718 2020-12-30 21:03:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems that you are not protected  virus covid for a minimal of 10 days or more from getting it...
Vaccinated U.S. nurse contracts COVID-19, expert says Pfizer shot needed more time to work

People receiving the Pfizer vaccine are told to wait 21 days before getting their second jab. The drugs have been praised for their high efficacy rate ― around 95% each ― but that’s only if you get both shots. After one shot, available data suggests the Pfizer vaccine has about 50% efficacy.

An emergency room doctor tested positive for COVID-19 nine days after getting vaccinated. That's not a sign the vaccine didn't work.

"This was just dumb luck," Mugele said. "I happened to be exposed within a few days of getting the vaccine, but this still is the best tool we have for fighting the virus."

Josh Mugele worked the night shift on Christmas. Though he had been tending to coronavirus patients since the start of the pandemic, his Georgia hospital was stretched to capacity like never before. There was one small comfort, though: Mugele had received the first dose of Pfizer's coronavirus vaccine on December 20.

"I had three shifts in a row right up to the vaccine date," Mugele, an emergency room doctor at Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville, Georgia, told Business Insider. "I was just really nervous I was going to get exposed before that. I honestly felt really a sense of relief when, on the 20th, I actually was able to get the vaccine and I thought I'd kind of crossed the finish line."
Then on Monday, he came down with a headache and cough. The following day, he tested positive for COVID-19.

"I was scared at first, but more than anything, I think I was angry," Mugele said. "I've had maximum exposure, as much as any ER doc in the country, and I've been spared for 10 months and then to get it right after I got the vaccine is just stupid and frustrating."

Now the fear is setting in that even thou the precautions were all taken in previous months that now you could become very sick has set in.

#719 2021-01-13 21:22:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now that we know of other virus strains we also have started to identify locations that have the newest of them and it seems we have found even more in places that are being hard hit....
Ohio researchers discover 2 new strain of COVID-19

The dangerous strain from the U.K. has been detected in 11 states.

but its also been detected elsewhere in the world as well. It was just that they spoke up first with regards to there being another....

The big issue for those getting the virus is 'It's what we feared:' Hospitals from Georgia to California face surging COVID-19 cases, staff shortages and rising deaths

#720 2021-01-18 20:24:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

#721 2021-01-26 18:41:51

tahanson43206

This just came in from an elderly relative ...

I got my today Covid shot around 75 minutes ago. It went well and I feel fine. There were very few people waiting because they kept to a strict schedule. I had to present my driver’s license and Medicare card. After getting the shot, I was given a verification card with the shot date/time which I will keep in my wallet. They will email me in a couple of days with the appointment for the second shot which will happen in around 28 days. I received the Moderna vaccine, and I understand that they will be coming out with a third booster shot that will protect from the new Covid variants.

This is the first I've heard of plans for a follow up shot to deal with the variants!

(th)

#722 2021-01-26 19:41:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its good that thy were able to get a shot and it may take quite a while before some here that should be able to get them will be able to due to the amount of them needed.

The question is the effectiveness of these vacines on the newest strains when I am hearing that a 2 mask fabric may be needed to get to the level of hospital grade to begin with.

#724 2021-01-30 20:27:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Something that should have been done along time ago is Federal Emergency Management Agency is deploying or supporting vaccination sites in at least 11 states after President Joe Biden ordered the government to get on a war footing in his mission to vaccinate 300 million Americans by summer's end.

The states are Arizona, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, according to a FEMA official.

#725 2021-02-01 20:12:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am wonder how many other businesses will do this CHICAGO – McDonald’s plans to give employees four hours of bonus pay to get the COVID-19 vaccine, the first major fast food employer to announce incentives to encourage inoculation.

The incentive is available to crew at corporate-owned McDonald’s in the U.S. About 5% of McDonald’s 14,000 U.S. restaurants are corporate-owned. Corporate employees who get vaccinated will get four hours added to their paid time off bank. Other companies have announced similar perks. Dollar General, Aldi, Trader Joe’s and Darden Restaurants, owner of Olive Garden, are offering workers four hours of pay to get the two shots to achieve the best protection. Insta cart has offered a $25 bonus for its shoppers and drivers.

Board footer