New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-08-26 11:18:06

Martian Republic

Re: Question: Star Trek Teleportation????

I was looking through some web site and I saw this article Star Trek Transporter and thought it would be interesting to post it here. It goes over several theories how it could be done and that the military was seriously looking into the matter. Other people can post there idea's or suggestion or observation both pro and con, but it should make for an interesting discussion to get into and bash it around.

http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffic … 41103.html

Larry,

#2 2005-08-26 17:04:42

reddragon
Banned

It seems strange that they chose psychic teleportation as the most likely. If I understand correctly and they are talking about teleportation by some unknown ability of the mind, it seems to me that wormholes and entanglement would be more fit for research because:
1) These processes are better understood scientifically and seem to be possible. Thus we have a place to begin and a reasonable chance of success.
2) If psychic teleportation is possible, quite doubtful, it is likely to involve wormholes and/or entanglement. Of course, if it works on an as yet unknown principle, it would be of great interest and importance to physics.

I'd say that wormholes are our best bet for teleportation of people or equipment. Entanglement will, however, give us quantum computers and real-time communication and robot control at any distance.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              by Douglas Adams

#3 2005-08-27 12:45:49

Stormrage

I read a report several years ago about a couple of Australian scientists. Who teleported a message in a laser beam.

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asia … .startrek/

If they ever get a fully working teleporter working. I WILL NEVER USE IT. Never. But it could revolutionize space travel. No need to dock to get certain objects.

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#4 2005-08-27 17:33:19

reddragon
Banned

I read a report several years ago about a couple of Australian scientists. Who teleported a message in a laser beam.

That used quantum entanglement, a very promissing area of research. But they didn't really transport the beam, they transported the information needed to rebuild it, or rather an exact copy of it. Getting this to work on humans or even material objects of any reasonable size requires disassembling them and transferring the state of every particle that makes them up onto new particles at the destination via entanglement. I would never use such a teleporter on myself because I don't like the idea of being dissassembled and because I am not positive that we are nothing more than the qunatum states of billions of particles. But I wouldn't mind using a wormhole or some other method of teleportation that brings the actual matter that comprises me from one place to another while skipping all the space in between. Once the wormhole was proven safe that is.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

by Douglas Adams

#5 2005-08-28 06:37:00

Shaun Barrett

Yeah, Reddragon. I agree with your assessment of the situation.
We can't transport the actual particles of an individual from A to B by any means currently known, so all we'd be doing is recreating an exact duplicate of somebody somewhere else.
-- Even if you were happy with this arrangement (Reddragon and I wouldn't be!), you'd still require a stockpile of particles at point B from which to assemble your duplicate.

And, as Reddragon wonders, would the exact duplicate really be you?
Reddragon:-

... I am not positive that we are nothing more than the quantum states of billions of particles.

Neither am I!  wink  smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2005-08-30 17:20:23

Stormrage

I am not sure but i think a human body would need 10^28 bytes. If each cell was a single byte. I remembered this from "Physics of Star Trek".

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#7 2005-08-31 13:04:59

Mace
Banned

Thats a lot of info to send. We should just download the brain's info, put the body into a life support system, send the info to where-ever the person is going, then download the info into a special cloned body duplicate. then all we need to send to brain info and a strand of DNA. Plus, when you come back, you can have your info put back into your old body.

#8 2005-09-06 16:33:38

srmeaney

It seems strange that they chose psychic teleportation as the most likely. If I understand correctly and they are talking about teleportation by some unknown ability of the mind, it seems to me that wormholes and entanglement would be more fit for research because:
1) These processes are better understood scientifically and seem to be possible.

psychic teleportation will still be subject to worm holes and entanglement. The overlords of tyranny can look forward to having their brains scrambled by multidimensional fields and corpses turned inside out by Quantum interference generators.

#9 2005-09-07 15:34:22

reddragon
Banned

I am not sure but i think a human body would need 10^28 bytes. If each cell was a single byte. I remembered this from "Physics of Star Trek".

A cell is very complex, you could not store all its information in a single byte. You would need to record the states and relative positions of every particle making up the body. But maybe that's were the 10^28 number comes from, since it seems rather large for the number of cells in the body. That's 10 octillion bytes i think.

The overlords of tyranny can look forward to having their brains scrambled by multidimensional fields and corpses turned inside out by Quantum interference generators.

I hope we can find better applications of quantum theory than killing each other. (Quantum computers, instant communication over long distances, and the teleportation we've been discussing are some possibilities.)

by Douglas Adams

#10 2020-12-25 19:56:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

While we can send particles of matter from one place to another there is still lots of work to be done for people.
BEAM ME UP: LONG-DISTANCE QUANTUM TELEPORTATION HAS HAPPENED FOR THE FIRST TIME EVERtransport.jpg?offset-x=0

Led by Caltech, a collaborative team from Fermilab, NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab, Harvard University, the University of Calgary and AT&T have now successfully teleported qubits (basic units of quantum info) across almost 14 miles of fiber optic cables with 90 percent precision. This is because of quantum entanglement, the phenomenon in which quantum particles which are mysteriously “entangled” behave exactly the same even when far away from each other.

Board footer