New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#676 2020-11-26 14:33:22

RobertDyck
Website

Re: 2019 NCOV a.k.a. Wuhan's Diseases

SpaceNut wrote:

RobertDyck, are those daily or since the pandemic started numbers?

statistics for Manitoba, according to the Manitoba Health government website, as of today, updated 12:30pm local time...
Total cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic started: 15,288
New cases since last report (yesterday): 383
Currently active cases: 8,845
Total Manitoba tests: 341,973
Daily tests: 1,509
Manitoba Test Positivity Rate: 14.8%
Recovered: 6,177
Current Hospitilizations: 307
ICU patients: 46
Deaths: 266

They report separate figures for city of Winnipeg, if you wish. Over 60% of the population of the province lives in the capital city, Winnipeg. The second largest city has a population of 48,859 (2016 census).

#677 2020-11-26 15:12:41

Terraformer
Website

SpaceNut,

"One life" is very vague. Is that one life from birth to death? It is absurd to count the life of an 80 year old as equal to the life of a baby, even if the lockdown jerks think we should.

US life expectancy is just under 80 years. If those 80 years are valued at $5 million, that's $62.5k per life-year. Double it to assume we're talking about the median, ~40 year old person. $125k per life-year.

The British response *so far* has a conservative estimate of $250k per life-year saved.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#678 2020-11-26 15:54:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

US over all with individual state link tab on the page with death and infection rates here for the counties of which the cities are the reason for the rapid rise in numbers.

I have a GOP governor with recent mask mandate for public New Hampshire Republicans want to impeach the state's GOP governor for requiring people to wear a mask in public places
Of course the claims are about constitutional  based on your selfishness to not stay out of the public when sick as there is on the books laws about giving deadly diseases to another....how about going to jail then for being infectious and not knowing it....

#679 2020-11-27 10:41:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

We know that the covid has already mutate a couple of times since just last year but how often will it continue to change?

In a 1988 essay on pandemics Joshua Lederberg, Nobel laureate and president of The Rockefeller University, reminded the medical community that when it comes to infectious disease, the laws of Darwin are as important as the vaccines of Pasteur.

]The Coronavirus Won't Stop Evolving When the Vaccine Arrives

That said vaccines are not the last stop on prevention as we will need to do actual testing of all flu like symptoms in order to know when we have something different going on.

#680 2020-11-28 18:30:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanksgiving has come and gone with members wishing each other well wishing for safety and wellness but families some have chose to stay home and forgo the traditions for the most part not traveling. Then there are those that did the small select group get togethers while many got the whole broods together trusting that no one was infected and did not know it. The last group that made it through the holiday did not have all that much to be thankful for other than being able to say they were alive on that day... Photo shows doctor embracing a 'vulnerable,' 'lonely' COVID-19 patient on ThanksgivingBB1bs2rq.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

The rate of infected and dying have held steady and is only forecasted to go up in the coming days....

#681 2020-11-30 18:45:56

Void

Well, I am sick, and isolated in a house by myself.  No proof that it is corvid, but I sure have the symptoms.  Started on the weekend before this.  Sinuses.

Now pain in my lungs when I breath in all the way.  However a few days ago it was on my whole sternum.  Now just at the junction of the collar bone.  Coughing up materials.  Mild Head pain in the forehead on occasion.  An aspirin seems to help that.  Other weird symptom when I got angry with a telephone robot,  I instantly broke out in a profuse sweat on the forehead.

I have a thermometer, but it does not seem to work.  Piece of junk I guess.

I have had the flu vaccine, and thank god the bacterial pneumonia vaccine. 

Mornings are harder.  I have to lie down a lot and get winded if I stand up much.   But about after sundown, it's not too bad.   I certainly could not do a gym workout at this point.   I am sort of thinking I will make it.

But I guess I will have to look into a test.   Find out if it is the real thing.  I actually hope so, as it has been quite a drag.  Then I would not need to be worried about getting the vaccine.

Done.

I guess I left out the part about smell, gag reflex, vomit, and appetite.

I had one minor incident of vomiting.   Can's smell anything that I can notice.  However with sinus problems that does not seem unusual.
However, my appetite has been way off.  I am better now, but for a couple of days, I would try to eat a piece of pizza, and get some of it down, and then realize I was about to be nauseated, and have to spit what was in my mouth into the garbage.

Enjoying lots of old movies at my parents house.  (They have been gone for a long time now).

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-11-30 19:00:45)

Done.

#682 2020-11-30 19:27:49

tahanson43206

For Void re latest ailment ... best wishes for speedy recovery.

In light of all the precautions you have reported previously, I find it difficult to imagine you have an encounter with the virus of this topic.

On the other hand, I hope you have professional assistance available in any case!

(th)

#683 2020-11-30 19:37:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Wishing that you do get well soon and that you will be ok. Good Luck.

You still would need a test to confirm the antibodies for covid to make sure that you would not need any vaccine...

#684 2020-11-30 21:47:04

tahanson43206

The article at the link below reports on studies of how much time people have to avoid Covid in various situations ...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/only-ta … 12822.html

It seems pretty clear that the current pandemic is like a multi-dimensional game of Russian Roulette!

(th)

#685 2020-12-01 08:41:19

Terraformer
Website

If Russian Roulette was played with a 10,000 chamber revolver.

Okay, more like a 1000 chamber revolver if you're in your 40s.

It just isn't worth getting a novel vaccine if you're below a certain age (and don't have other risk factors). Which is probably somewhere between 40 and 50.

Honestly I believe the reason mRNA vaccines are being pushed isn't because they're our best shot, but because companies have spent billions developing them and are using COVID to get them approved so the money isn't wasted. Subunit vaccines are fine. Inactivated virus vaccines are fine too.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#686 2020-12-01 18:50:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

#687 2020-12-05 20:57:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

We already take 12 vaccines that have changed the world with the UK about to start giving one more with in days....

#688 2020-12-09 20:27:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

The UK has become sort of the guiny pig for testing the mass effects on a normal population and its already got reports of UK probes allergic reactions to COVID-19 shot is not good at all.

#689 2020-12-10 11:58:14

tahanson43206

Someone is going to find and publish this, so I'll post it here.  The article clarifies that the new research does NOT absolve China for responsibility for originating the virus, but it ** does ** push back the time when the virus is now known to have been circulating in Italy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/italian-boy- … 34221.html

The finding may not mean that the virus did not originate in China – just that it was circulating there much earlier than thought and was then brought to Italy.

Northern Italy, with its fashion, furniture, car and design sectors, has strong travel and trade links with China.

“The first known Covid-19 case in Italy was reported in the town of Codogno in the Lombardy region on February 21, 2020. However, some evidence suggests that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) had been circulating unnoticed for several weeks in Lombardy before the first official detection,” the scientists wrote in their paper.

“Phylogenetic studies highlighted an early circulation of SARS-CoV-2 in Italy and suggest multiple introductions of the virus from China and Germany, followed by an autochthonous transmission.”

Last month, a study suggested the virus may have entered Italy as early as September last year, while a third study found traces of the virus in untreated sewage water in Milan and Turin in December.

(th)

#690 2020-12-10 17:18:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

#691 2020-12-11 12:18:55

Void

Well, it is official, I am a statistic.  I did have Corvid-19.  Did not have medical attention.  Stayed isolated for the most part.  Generally getting better. 

That's bad, that's good.

Done.

#692 2020-12-11 13:29:12

tahanson43206

For Void re #691

Thanks for the good news of your continuing improvement.

(th)

#693 2020-12-11 18:19:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well I am glad to hear you are getting better Void...with a confirming virus test as you suspected that you might be infected....

Numbers of case infections have continued to rise around here with even the numbers at work still doubling each week it seems...

Getting enough vacines of many types out there being in use may still not be enough as they each target a different response and are needed at different times in the infected process and not to meantion needing a booster after a few weeks means these are going to run out quickly if production can not be increased...

#694 2020-12-12 22:24:28

RobertDyck
Website

January 2021
131238406_10159269922932718_8343413369612287784_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=L32H6y8UQ1MAX_vDKyp&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=295de52998d6ca87a9b70cb7d9f6bdf2&oe=5FFCB614
In response to SpaceNut's comment, no this is not the device from movie Star Trek IV: Save the Whales ... uh, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. This is actually from The Original Series (TOS) S02E06 "The Doomsday Machine". In this episode the machine was built by a long-dead civilization; it produces an energy beam that slices up planets, then feeds on those chunks as fuel.
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dooms … al_Series)

Last edited by RobertDyck (2020-12-13 10:03:01)

#695 2020-12-13 09:21:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

The approaching being is in search of the whales.....
https://www.startrek.com/news/the-one-about-the-whales

edit
error on my part as that was the first show with the beast which was targeting earth....

If only the virus was so visible to those that will not ear a mask...

NH has gone from Aprils stay at home through several cycles to a mask mandate that did not force those that would not wear a mask in public establishments such that they have put up signs and put out masks as well as sanitizer to and for all those that enter to make use of...its sort of silly that all in all in that those that do not will not get the small invaders but make it visible and they would all run for the hills.

The groups of people getting the vaccines have been only the rich here in the US while even a first line of defense in a hospitols gets none. The reports of reactions to taking the vaccines are so far not reporting any deaths due to receiving it.

#696 2020-12-14 16:42:35

Void

This is actually a response to "Human Missions", "Starship is a go", post 872 by TCcom, but I want to be more on topic, so I post here:

Partial quote:

Also the fact that the Mayor of California may make the vaccine mandatory, since he is an idiot, and Musk has publicly stated he won't be getting jabbed.

And he is closer to his megafactory, which may house the industrial complex for mass producing his rocket ships.

------
I guess I might understand Elon's thinking.  It may be similar to mine.  However my symptoms and age were more against me than it was for him.
In my case, I anticipate that I likely have 3 months of antibodie protection, and after that some likely "T" and "B" cell immunity.
The Antibodies likely take me somewhere near the middle of March.
Re-infections are recorded, but from what I have read, the second infection usually is not as bad as the first, but sometimes it is.
I am now likely part of the existing herd immunity, and that leads me to question if I should use up one of the 100 Million vacinations that are supposed to be done by the end of March.
In general, I am not "At Risk" except for my age, and possibly high blood pressure.
To a certain degree, I protect myself as well by not haveing a vacination, as others around me will stop being potential carriers.
I am guessing that 33,000,000 plus people in the US are now somewhat immune, (To a degree), add 100,000,000, and that then is 133,000,000 people out of 320,000,000, or perhaps 41% herd immunity.   That is not enough yet, but will seriously reduce the death rate, and put a fair dent in the infection rate, I presume, and that by the end of March.
Actually, I suspect that there is much more herd immunity out there than is in the statistics.  I have mentioned that I was infected, but supposedly not infectious anymore, and more often than not that person has told me that they had had it as well.  What are the odds?  Thanksgiving really pulsed up the infection rate.  However, I see that it appears that the infection rate for my state has peaked out again.
Having said, that I need to make sure that I do eventually get vacination protection, so I have to keep an eye on it and decide to try for such an option at the appropriate time, whatever that may seem to be.
Probably, there will be pressure to open up the economy by that point, so then the infection rate of the unprotected may go up, so that is a consideration.  But much more of those will be young healthy people I expect.
Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-12-14 16:44:07)

Done.

#697 2020-12-14 17:11:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its good to hear that you are coming through this ok but what strain of the virus did you get as there is one that is very deadly while the other is less so to most....

The reports of a second infections and death are in the mix as well for some that make it through the first exposures as you can get it again after 90 days it seems.

on another note Quaoar stopped by to Hi to all and to give a report from Italy as he was summoned again for the second wave and is put in stand-by but never called as a front line hospital care provider.

Today I had barely got into work and had my credentials updated only to find out that I and the others in our large work room were being sent home on "ROM" which is "Restriction On Movement" or in other words need to isolate until further notice as a member was in contact with a person that was positive and they need a negative test to allow others to come back to work. If not then I am onto the remaining days of the 10 for more of the same continued ROM....

So far no symptoms of the virus....and not knowing the day when they were in contact means it could take a while possibly 3 -5 days to show up with any....

#698 2020-12-14 18:15:18

Void

------
Well, a relative once told me that "Opinions are like rectums, everyone has one".  That is not to say that mine is any better.
I do have this nice opinion from the web:
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ … at-we-know
I won't quote.
5-7 months, perhaps, for antibodies, and then perhaps "T" and "B" cell immunity.
However I do not think it unlikely that some people do not have good immune systems, and perhaps in some cases, the immunity just does not take for some reason.
Since you may get infected, I will describe what my experience was, is:

On a weekend I got sinus problems.  As this is not unusual, I thought it might be alergies.
But as I began to have other symptoms, I decided to drive to my other home where I could be more isolated from other people.  I did not stop along the way.
In the next few days, I became very short of breath, as I had to lie down to breath properly.  Standing and walking could be only for maybe 10-20 seconds before I started to breath hard, and had to lie down.
I had pain in my sternum when I inhaled fully, kind of sharp, but not intollerable.  As I improved, it was only under the colar bone.
I got headachs, in the forehead, but they were mild.  One aspirin took care of them.  Maybe two or three times a day.  I have not had one now for about 6 days.  I almost never ever get them in normal life.
I had food delivered to my doorstep as I began to run out of food.  Gradually I improved day after day.  Would have called for medical help, if that did not occur.   Eventually I was able to go outside for a walk.  Stayed very far away from the few people that I could see at a distance.  On walking up hills, I found that I had to stop 3 or 4 times to catch my breath for at least a minute.
Each day was better, until I did not have to stop at all.   A realitive with medical experience said walks would help clear the lungs.
Now I am 20 days after the worst symptoms.   Supposedly after 10 days you are not infectious anymore.
For the last 5 days my symptoms are just coughing up materials in the morning and when I walk for the most part.   That is getting better each day, it seems.  The material is clear, so I don't believe I have a secondary infection.
I don't believe that I have pneumonia, or bronchitis, as I know that that brings creaky lungs.
I did have the flu and bacterial pneumonia vacines about 3 months ago, so probably those were not involved.
I am debating consulting a doctor, but don't want to as I understand how busy they must be, so I have consulted 3 opinions, one being the department of health.
My opinion is that I will recover from here, I have read that most people comming out of hospital show lung damage after 6 weeks, but most of those show much healing of the lungs after 12 weeks, so I am not surprised at my lingering symptoms.
I am almost to the point that I would go to a gym, if they were open, and do mild cardio, and maybe even some resistance training.  However, I don't believe I will be ready for an intense workout for a number of weeks.
I never got a sore throat, did vomit just a bit once, and had a terible gag reflex for a while.  Eating something, I would have to stop and spit it out as I was about to upchuck.
Sense of smell was not there, but usually I don't have much of a sense of smell anyway, so I can't be sure about that.
I waited until I figured I was not likely to be infectious, expecting to get a negitive result by that time, but I tested positive.
As you are my age Spacenut, more or less, and I know you have several dependents, I would get the vacine asap.
Done.

Done.

#699 2020-12-14 19:25:05

Void

This is a more favorable opinion:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/heal … unity.html

Quote:

Immunity to the Coronavirus May Last Years, New Data Hint
Blood samples from recovered patients suggest a powerful, long-lasting immune response, researchers reported.

Surely we hope so.

Done

Last edited by Void (2020-12-14 19:25:27)

Done.

#700 2020-12-14 20:29:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

Board footer