New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#301 2020-09-24 19:32:52

tahanson43206

Re: Housekeeping

For SpaceNut re #300 ...

Thanks for taking up this challenge!

(th)

#302 2020-09-25 14:07:43

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (or anyone who might know) ...

LinkedIn came up with this name in today's teaser email ...

Bruce Mackenzie
Founder, Director at Mars Foundation

I feel as though I should recognize the name, but enough time has gone by, I've lost context.

RobertDyck ... I'll bet you know who this might be.

(th)

#303 2020-09-25 16:20:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

He does and I am reduced to a cellphone screen at this point.

#304 2020-09-25 19:04:47

RobertDyck
Website

Bruce is the guy who came up with the idea of making bricks from Mars soil, then building with Roman architecture: barrel vaults, groin vaults, etc. Pile Mars dirt on top with greater weight than internal air pressure to ensure internal air pressure doesn't blow the roof off (or collapse a wall. He's a founding member of the Mars Society. Alumni of MIT. Why?

#305 2020-09-25 19:27:57

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #304

Thanks for your reply!  Post #302 clearly explains why I asked the question, so there's no need to repeat it.

On the other hand, it is clearly time (for me for sure) to see what online resources there may be that cover Mr. MacKenzie's work.

I searched for "bruce" in the user list and did not find a match, before I posted #302.

Edit#1: The name Bruce MacKenzie has been used more than once, and according to Wikipedia, some bearers of the name have achieved significant accomplishment in their lives.

The "Mars" Bruce MacKenzie gave a talk in February of 2020, so if anyone is curious to see what he looks and sounds like ...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=br … &FORM=VIRE

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-09-25 19:34:56)

#306 2020-09-25 19:40:59

RobertDyck
Website

#307 2020-09-25 19:49:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

There are utube videos by said same including a one way mission.

#308 2020-09-26 09:16:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (primarily, but others are welcome to reflect on this long term member) ...

I just ran across Palomar, who last contributed in 2008.... Palomar is listed by FluxBB as one of the major contributors to the forum over a number of years.

As befits the ID he chose, Palomar's contributions often had an astronomical leaning.

(th)

#309 2020-09-26 09:49:46

RobertDyck
Website

Palomar: I believe her real name was Cindy.

#310 2020-09-26 10:17:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

The username also did have another after the crash but was turned off again a year ago or better.

#311 2020-09-26 10:35:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... thanks for the follow up regarding Palomar .... The email name for that ID was a reference to Voltaire! 

This forum's archive contains a ** lot ** of posts which reflect the author's best efforts to understand something, or to explain it in a helpful way.

(th)

#312 2020-09-26 13:18:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

Palomar7 is the same person and there is another

#313 2020-09-27 06:44:27

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #312 ... thanks for the follow up!  It was interesting to pick up the thread.

New (old) topic .... this is a good time (all times are good but now is better) to think about how to recruit talented people who are knowledgeable about structural engineering, and willing to learn about the special challenges of aerospace engineering. 

Have you given thought to how you would like to go about bringing new people into the forum to assist with ongoing projects?

Every forum member has access to the media in the local community.  "Letters to the Editor" are a time honored way to extend ideas to the local community, but admittedly the audience is limited to those who actually read the editorial section of the local paper (as one example).

Perhaps a communication to a media resource dedicated to engineering is a better bet.  Colleges that offer engineering courses might be willing to post something in the college newsletter.

At some point, RobertDyck's concept may reach sufficient maturity to be worth a glance by a movie producer.  We are a way from that point, at present.

How is recovery of the computer coming along?

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-09-27 07:05:16)

#314 2020-10-02 06:04:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... Best wishes for recovery from the computer glitch! 

Best wishes for good health for you and your family.

Update for question posed in another topic, of software able to insert an image into a target image.

A friend suggested Inkscape, an preliminary test indicates the program is able to achieve the desired effect.

The method appears to be to create a separate "layer" which accepts the image to be inserted.  That image can then be copy-paste duplicated as needed.

At this point, the output is an "svg" file, which is not recognized by imgur.com.

(Vector Graphics) ... I'm hoping there is an option to write the output to a png format.

Here are the images I found for the Large Ship Habitat Rim layout.

2Brt6OA.png Gent

UDEK6Py.png Lady

There are other images available.  The feminists in the audience may object to the stereotype.  I'll look for a male artist, or a female executive.

Edit#1 2020/10/03 ... here is a generic icon ...

NBqCx9u.png Generic Person Icon

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-10-03 11:17:41)

#315 2020-10-02 15:43:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sorry for the absence as the computer will correct on the 7th.
Came home from work sick running a temp so isolated in the yard sleeping the night in my vehicle for the wife's s safety as crew had returned from a rising vivid infection rate without self quarantining or isolating for 2 weeks.
Today work temp checked as a low grade of near normal as it broke during the night.

#316 2020-10-02 17:15:22

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #315

Thanks for the check-in! Best wishes for a full recovery (of yourself ** and ** the computer!)

Thanks too, for the example of devotion, by sleeping in the car.  I've done that while travelling across the country, but cars aren't designed for that.

(th)

#317 2020-10-03 17:47:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

Feeling much better today still got some phlegm coming up with hard cough but I am breathing well. Took a 2 mile walk and stayed outside in the warm sunny day in the yard try to get the homestead ready for the coming winter.

#318 2020-10-03 18:53:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #317

Best wishes for continued recovery!  Hoping it's just a minor setback, and temporary.

The name of the new contributor generated 2,890,000 results on Google ....

There are numerous people who share that name with our new member ... There is a pastor at the top of the list, with four citations.

LinkedIn has 7 profiles

The one that I find most intriguing is a Research Scientist, with interests in ...

Bioengineering, Infomatics, GNR, Quantum Energy Physics, AI Frames, Geochemistry & Politics

It will be interesting to learn of the interests of "our" new member.

I find it intriguing he chose Interplanetary Transportation as the topic for his opening post. 

(th)

#319 2020-10-03 22:16:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems that email domain was hacked in June of this year when looking for spammer content and when checking the IP I am getting Canadian info so this seems to be phishing.

#320 2020-10-04 06:04:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #319

High Walt. Sorry I wasn't able to meet you Saturday. Had work. Glad you joined our forum.

Your discovery of a Canadian IP is good news, in light of RobertDyck's welcome for Walt.

It will be fun to see how the two of them interact to move the Large Ship project forward!

In the Other Organizations topic, I'm planning to add a post about a story just published in "Analog" about early stages of a well-funded Mars settlement initiative.

(th)

#321 2020-10-04 10:31:23

GW Johnson
Website

Spacenut:

Are you OK now?  It sort of sounds like you might have been exposed to,  or caught,  covid-19! 

My wife had severe symptoms a few weeks back.  I was feeling ill about the same time,  just not as bad as she did.  We had her tested for covid-19,  and that result came back negative.  But neither of us believes it. 

Those tests are not nearly as reliable as most folks assume. The reported false positive and false negative rates for the nasal swab are about 15%,  and worse if the timing of the test relative to the symptoms is off by more than a few days.

We are both older than the age of high risk at 65 and 70,  and she is an asthma patient.  She's very high risk.  I'm the 70-year-old,  which makes me rather risky,  too.  I rather think we had it,  just undiagnosed.  We just didn't happen to get killed by it. Why?  Dunno - but there's a whole lot about this disease that we humans just don't know yet. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#322 2020-10-04 12:55:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Glad to hear you and the wife is doing ok for me a  little bronchial and sinus but no temp with no issues but then again upload or intake of the virus was lessened as I work at a corner desk and use my mask when turning around to talk with others or to leave my work space.
Will find out more from the crews health status tomorrow as to exposure possibility as its incubation period to symptoms will be the tell as there could have been a different time line they are not showing signs.
For all I know I could have already seen this in the early 90's as I was hospitalized with a 103 fever for about 5 days before it broke.

#323 2020-10-05 08:11:36

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut and GW Johnson ...

Best wishes to you and your families for a successful transition through this dangerous time!

For SpaceNut ... the arrival of a new member in the past day or so reminded me to ask you about setting up a New Member Orientation topic

We get so ** few ** (real) people interested in the forum, each one (in my opinion) deserves assistance (to the extent they want it) to blend into the flow smoothly.

Think of the Large Ship topic, not as a discussion like Chat, but a serious project that will lead to something specific and tangible.

A person discovering the forum, and just dropping into an ongoing development project would be like a person coming onto a ball field and joining a game without training or even knowledge of the rudiments of the game.

I'd like to suggest a new topic in the Meta index level, where new members can receive suggestions, and try out techniques to work with the forum software.

My guess is that our newest member may be of college age, and thus a candidate to seriously consider becoming a part of the flow of people to Mars in decades ahead.   Such a person could be helpful to the forum in a number of ways.

On the other hand, dropping into an ongoing development project is potentially disruptive.

A new topic might be created to help a new member to get up to speed, so they can make a contribution without causing the working team members to lose momentum.

(th)

#324 2020-10-05 08:31:25

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

The text presented to applicants to register on the forum could be updated to invite them to post first in the "New Member Orientation" topic.

Here is the existing text ...

You must agree to the following in order to register
By accessing “newmars.com” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “newmars.com”, “newmars.com/forums”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “newmars.com”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “newmars.com” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “newmars.com” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “newmars.com” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, “newmars.com” shall not be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

I suspect that few applicants read this text.   Never-the-less, it could be adjusted to invite new applicants to make their first post in a specific topic.  The kind of person who might fit well into this group would be one who would honor the suggestion.

(th)

#325 2020-10-05 19:50:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

If they that join have never been on a forum ever before are not reading then there will be no change to any boards posting etiquette. It's almost like you need an interactive post trainer for the newby.....

Board footer