New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-08-22 11:09:36

tahanson43206

Personal Supplies for Two Year Mission

The purpose of this topic is to give NewMars forum members an opportunity to think about the supplies they would like to have in the cargo manifest for a two year round trip to Mars and back.

For the purpose of this discussion, it should be assumed that the vessel you've booked is NOT able to rendezvous with Mars for some reason, and must take the two year guaranteed return to Earth option recommended by GW Johnson.

Categories of items members might consider include:

Food
Water and other liquids
Clothing
Cleaning supplies
Tools and related items
Books in hardcopy form (short list)
Books in eReader format (long list)
Communications equipment (within ship)

Related to the above are items the prospective passenger would expect the ship to provide:

Items in this category would/might include:

Accommodation for sleeping
Accommodation for exercise
Accommodation for education
Accommodation for income earning activities (on board or via remote access)
Many others I haven't thought of

(th)

#2 2020-08-23 10:24:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Personal Supplies for Two Year Mission

Part of any good missions to mars or even to the moon will require good planning of a manifest to allow for even thing to be accounted for that we need to be cataloged and known as this is the mass table which is needed to account for all payloads being brought with us to space.

The personal items are for the enjoyment and peace of mind for a duration of flight use but these come after that science and construction needs are met for the missions destination. Over time the need for the science and constructions needs will lesson and allow for more of that which list of items to help in keeping fit and sane.

The topics of Oldfart1939 on the subject of food, water, shelter and air is just a part of that planning process.
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7687

Also crew size is an impactor into that payload as well
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7813

#3 2020-08-23 11:07:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #2

Thank you for this (to me awesome) contribution to the topic!

I found many of the conversations packed with ideas and helpful suggestions ... this is just one of many:

Oldfart1939 wrote:

If the Mar regolith really does contain the stated amount of water, <snip> Water accumulation could become the first "industry" on the planet. If we can get enough regolith inside one of the dome structures, a common piece of industrial chemical process equipment would seem to be the answer for massive water extraction, and that's a rotary vacuum tumble drier.<snip>
The water consumption of a growing colony would seem to be one of the limiting factors determining the rapidity of expansion.

This single post reminded me of specialization not already included in the My Hacienda list of specializations needed for a permanent community.

I'd like to offer a clarification of the purpose of ** this ** topic!

This topic is not about just

The personal items are for the enjoyment and peace of mind for a duration of flight

Instead, what I have in mind for this topic is each NewMars member who decides to participate to take a hard look at what they would pack if they were making the trip alone.  your reply appears (as I read it) to assume that ** someone else ** is going to plan for all your needs, and all you have to do is to show up with your toothbrush.

That is ** not ** what (I am hoping) this topic will accomplish, if it succeeds.

The topic in which the post by Oldfart1939 appeared is chock full of specific items, such as Louis offering a specific amount of potable water for each passenger and crewmember.

For the purposes of this topic, I'd like to suggest a crew size of 1 (You), as you plan for what you want to have available each of the 365*2 days of a round trip (per GW Johnson's recommended fail-safe trajectory).

Over in the Big Wheel topic, I am thinking about the needs of 3600 people (or so) who would be taking that two (Earth year) trip.

The needs of each of those 3600 people will accumulate to some number of tons of supplies that need to be lifted to orbit (or procured from the Moon if that becomes feasible).

(th)

#4 2020-08-23 17:16:42

louis

I don't think anyone is going to be taking hard copy books to Mars. Books are a big mass penalty. You will have a wealth of digitAl entertainment available: audio books, e books,  films,  music, games etc.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#5 2020-08-23 18:38:45

kbd512
Administrator

Mars was purpose-built to be the most challenging golf course ever dreamt of.  While there are no water hazards, the sand traps are literally everywhere.  We'd have to use multiple heads instead of multiple clubs on account of weight and relative pain of lugging a bag of clubs vs a backpack with detachable heads.  The reduced gravity and atmospheric density dictate that the drives are 1,000 yards or more, so you'd need an electric ATV.  What's the point of going if you can't play?

I can see bringing your favorite spices for your meals and your favorite books or movies (in electronic format, as Louis suggested), but clothing and whatnot will be dictated by design requirements.  I have to have fried shrimp with rice and beans or fish tacos every so often.  If that's not part of the menu, then again, why go?

I presume most exercise will use elastic resistance or dead weight such as backpacks filled with rocks or sand.

Education would be by pre-recorded lectures from Earth and other crew members who can share their knowledge.

#6 2020-08-23 19:39:31

tahanson43206

For Louis re #4

Thanks for your interesting perspective.  This is not the first time you have expressed this view.  So may I presume you use only digital media in your own life?  If so, you might well be part of the vanguard here on Earth.

I find digital media expedient but unsatisfying for something like material I'm trying to study.  On the other hand, the NewMars experience is almost entirely digital, and I find it quite satisfying. I still print out the occasional piece by GW Johnson or kbd512, when I need time to pore over it and to mark it up.

For many years, I have been marking up my recreational reading because I like to interact with the author in "real time".  That is simply not possible with digital media although I am aware that some eReaders provide for tagging notes with locations in the text.

However, Louis, what I'm looking for in this post is some thoughtful reflection on the supplies you would want to see in your manifest as you set out on a two year journey.  Think of a day trip you may have planned in years past, when you were heading to a location without food or water.  You would have (no doubt) carefully planned ahead to be sure the supplies you and your party would need were packed and ready to secure in the vehicle.

This two year outing will require a lot more than a major credit card.  The first expedition will (presumably) have been planned with meticulous care by government employees who have devoted their lives to caring for astronauts.  In ** this ** topic, I am inviting NewMars members to take the role of those government employees, to think through your needs for 365*2 days in a spacecraft.

For kbd512 re #5

Thank you for the remarkable insight into the potential for golf to make the transition successfully to Mars.

Modern microminiaturized electronics should be capable of allowing for a small radio transmitter to participate in the action.  The ability to withstand severe shock is built into artillery shells, so an adaptation for golf balls should be achievable for a golfing excursion on Mars.

A while back in this forum, Louis posted a set of visions of Martian valleys sporting fabric domes.  I've forgotten the details, but remember the overall impression I came away with.  Louis' dome covered valleys would seem more than suitable for an Interplanetary Golf course.

You're on the right track with your listing of fried shrimp and other special delicacies.  That is exactly the kind of item I was looking for.

A team planning a voyage on a luxury cruise liner tries to anticipate the tastes and expectations of their clientele.  I am sure that a comparable team would be engaged to try to plan supplies that would be needed for one of SpaceX's Starships.

In this topic, we have the opportunity to think (occasionally seriously) about what we would like to have included in our menu for daily fare, and for special occasions.

Your assumption about exercise equipment seems right for a ship without simulated gravity, but a ship ** with ** simulated gravity (such as the rotating hab in "2001") would be able to offer workouts against simulated gravity.

Your points about education are helpful as a start for thinking about the situation.  It should be possible to take lectures via "live" (delayed) transmission from Earth, in addition to large data repositories on board the vessel.  The current age of online learning shows the potential for college level work carried out by crew and passengers on deep space vessels, or personal enrichment courses for those so inclined.

Interactions between crew members for education development is something the mission planners might keep in mind as they assemble the crew and passenger list.  A professor friend and his wife were invited to take a cruise that included a transit of the Panama Canal.  The trade was for the professor to give lectures on astronomy, which was particularly appropriate ( I understand ) due to the clear skies available.

Something like that might be pre-arranged by mission planners, when suitable candidates show up in the passenger list.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-08-23 19:42:15)

#7 2020-08-24 12:57:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Missing from the initial list is music and art items to be creative in the free time and being able to enjoy the sounds of home....
Not sure how many band instruments might make it on either as a means to make music but it would be interesting...

Just think an all kazoo band...

#8 2023-03-15 08:37:11

Mars_B4_Moon

DVDs to watch books to read and music to listen to, we truly are human and not robots.

Out of this World Playlist: What Music Do Astronauts Listen to for Wake-Up?
https://spacecenter.org/out-of-this-wor … r-wake-up/

'Chronology of Wakeup Calls'
https://history.nasa.gov/wakeup.htm

Music From Earth
https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-rec … ord/music/

Ernie the Sesame Street character voiced by Jim Henson, sings of sacrifices he would have to make should he reside on the moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIq8jLj5TzU

SpaceX launches Cargo Dragon carrying supplies and experiments to ISS
https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Spac … S_999.html

Board footer