New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#551 2020-07-21 06:10:52

Terraformer
Website

Re: 2019 NCOV a.k.a. Wuhan's Diseases

Re. schools, you can effectively double the number of teachers by halving the time students spend in school. With class sizes halved, they'll probably get a better education out of it too.

Of course, that fails to provide the primary purpose of schooling, which is overpriced childcare.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#552 2020-07-21 06:35:41

tahanson43206

For Terraformer re #551

Your ideas are interesting .... would you be willing to develop them a bit further?

Do you have any experience that would be helpful in planning curriculum, for example?

(th)

#553 2020-07-21 16:05:36

GW Johnson
Website

I did NOT say 6-8 times the teachers in post 529.  I said about 3 times.  I SAID 6-8 feet spacing between students in the classroom,  which means a class size of 10-12 instead of 30-35.  Factor 3.   But you could not actually see and read what I wrote.

Which repeated misquoting is why I am convinced what I wrote is invisible to eyes clouded by such political lenses.  Which in turn is why I find participating in this conversation pointless.

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#554 2020-07-21 16:16:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

Kbd512 I would not class Hospitals in the same breath as politicians or there business as they are not there to save lives....granted nursing home should have and could have done better since they are in the business of care hopefully and not for the money....

GW that is why many schools are using annex trailers, gymnasiums, lunch and break rooms to spread out the students. They are also trying to reduce hours for classes and staggering them over a longer period of the day including shifts and weekends to get the required hours for each student. They are also limit class movements and teacher staff changing rooms as well with time to clean each room thoroughly.

There is a side effect of the virus and that is Coronavirus driving droves of young Americans to move

BB171mJ1.img?h=799&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Reminiscent but going the other direction

0carryoncoat01.jpg

#555 2020-07-22 03:41:20

kbd512
Administrator

GW,

You do realize that whether we need 3 times or 6 times as many teachers and classrooms, we STILL don't have even 3 times as many teachers or classrooms to make your plan work, don't you?

The 2017 to 2018 school year employed 3.5 million full-time or part-time teachers.  To make your plan work, we "just" (man alive, that dirty word pops up everywhere) need 10.5 million teachers.  We have 7.2 million construction workers and I'm guessing we'd also need to at least double the number of those people to build all the new additions to our schools in a reasonable amount of time.  We have a pool of about 156 million workers to use, so it's not physically completely impossible, yet still grossly impractical.  We're not like China.  We don't have an extra 10 million teachers and construction workers and so on just sitting around waiting to get a job.  The people we bankrupted were largely service industry positions.  Maybe we could purloin a couple million people who were let go from industry, but none of them would be certified teachers.

I have a simpler question, though.  Local tax revenue pays for at least 90% of the money invested into our schools.  Since we utterly decimated our economy with these idiotic lockdowns, to the point that tens of millions of Americans are now unemployed or barely scraping by, where are we coming up with the extra $245 billion dollars (at just $35K per teacher) to pay all these new teachers?  That's about 1/3rd of our defense budget- and yes, if it were up to me (it's not, obviously) I'd be slashing their budget, too.  We've already spent ourselves into oblivion.

Actually, you know what.  It's all just funny money at this point anyway and everybody knows it.  Who cares if we print more.  It's not like anyone has any ability to call in debts, anyway.  They're just as screwed as we are and all of us need to get the economy moving again, so this plan is as good as any other.  For the time being, many of our construction workers could be put on these types of jobs, provided they're not convicted felons.  If we do this, best of luck finding a house, though.  I have no clue where we're going to come up with this many teachers, but I'm guessing all of us in industry are going to be really busy for the foreseeable future if education purloins part of our workforce.  Since we've purloined so many from academia, I guess turnabout is fair play.  I have a 26 year old sitting at home who's never had a job in his life and I'd love to have him start paying off the student loan that we're paying off.  I can't wait for our little Democrat voter to make his first student loan payment and file his first tax payment.  That's about $900 a month I don't have since my wife lost her job.  She's getting a pretty healthy dose of gamma to make sure the brain tumor doesn't come back, for about the next month or so.

The elephant in the room is whether or not you can get Congress and the President to start cutting checks for work, rather than holding down couches.  Tell your Democrats to stop whining about having to work for a living and I'll tell my Republicans to stop whining about cutting checks to get useful work done.

#556 2020-07-22 19:28:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

For education of our school age children a hybrid approach needs to be had for school districts to open.
Each day we are sending some children in the schools of which these are the ones that need the more direct assistance and services that can not be had in a home schooling electronic class room systems. We will make use of some student going to classes on a 4 day schedule during the week ends with longer days to get the hours for those that can tolerate the higher number of hours. I suspect that these would be from 8 grade upward. The of course we will be communicating via class computer zoom programs and online instruction.
During the week and weekends the student will be spread out and all staff will be instructing at a reduced pupil class room numbers. Staff will rotate hours from week days to week ends to make the program funding go as far as we can.

#557 2020-07-22 19:45:20

SpaceNut
Administrator

I suspect that I am experiencing a flair up of coven virus as I am having these symptoms if its not poison ivy....
Asymptomatic as there is nothing else going on and family shows no signs.

6 COVID Symptoms That Are Right in Front of You

You Can Catch COVID From Someone This Many Days After Their Symptoms Begin

you can catch COVID from someone up to 20 days after their symptoms begin

so much for that 14 day quarantine period....

The chain stores requiring mask has gone up
24 chains including Walmart, Macys, and Gap will require customers to wear masks. Here's the full list.

My local grocery store has also up'd the expectation from recommended to required as well..

#558 2020-07-22 20:29:46

Void

Hope you will be good Spacenut.

My state is requiring masks indoors now, and wants hand washing.  Says if 50% are responsible this way we can probably control the virus until better treatments/Vaccines.  I like it.  Makes it easier to keep business/industrial functions operable.

Done.

Done.

#559 2020-07-23 22:39:37

Void

I can be foolish, and perhaps here I have been fooled, but this link is very interesting.  It is worth the risk to mention it, as it seems to offer something per Corvid.

It seems strange that such a thing might work, but I hope not to be fooled about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/th … r-BB16Xher
Quote:

This Swedish firm claims its mouth spray can deactivate coronavirus by 98.3% in 20 minutes

Seems like it would be good for new infections, if it does work.  So simple, it is a bit hard to believe.

Done.

Done.

#560 2020-07-24 15:33:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

We had a person that last day they were at work was on 7-9 and they got the virus test results on 7-22...

Not good as whom ever it was could have been in rooms that I had been in and there is no ability with a test that took that long to come back with results to trace let alone warn....

There is a problem with the tests when A new study of COVID-19, based on data from a symptom tracker app, determined that there are six distinct "types" of the disease involving different clusters of symptoms.

#561 2020-07-25 19:48:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Long-lasting COVID symptoms from lungs to limbs linger in coronavirus 'long haulers'Long-lasting COVID symptoms from lungs to limbs linger in coronavirus 'long haulers'

On Saturday, the Boca Raton, Florida resident hit Day 133 of suffering with a staggering list of symptoms that includes: cough, chronic fatigue, memory issues, vision impairment, chest heaviness, drastic heart rate and oxygen changes, sore throat, hair loss, heart palpitations, reflux, nausea, dizziness, vertigo, rapid hot flashes, joint paint, full body itchiness, tremors, mild fever, dry mouth, excessive thirst, overheating with no fever, rash, sleep apnea, chest pain and tinnitus.

symptoms including a sore throat, constant headaches, pins and needles sensations, rapid heart rate, joint and body pain, temporary loss of vision and shortness of breath.

I have a hard time believing that this was just an accident … 12 people infected with the coronavirus were falsely told they'd tested negative — and at least one was hospitalized

#564 2020-07-29 16:18:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

More than 150,000 people in the United States have died from the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, according to Johns Hopkins University, while tens of thousands more are struggling in hospitals as the pandemic spreads virtually unchecked in almost every state in the nation.

O'Rourke rips Texas governor: 'This virus is out of control' "This virus is out of control, with no leadership from our governor, no leadership from the president."

Texas has now seen a rapid increase in the virus, breaking the 10,000 hospitalizations threshold last week.

The state health department has estimated there are 124,659 active cases in the state and 3,235 deaths.

Beloved Arizona elementary school teacher dies of coronavirus, two others sharing classroom also infected

The Trump administration is pushing for full school reopenings in the fall, despite the pandemic setting new daily case records in many parts of the country.

California again shuts indoor restaurants, bars, movie theaters over virus

1 in 3 young adults vulnerable to severe Covid-19 — and smoking plays a big part, research finds

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/healt … 68013515af

#565 2020-07-30 18:42:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Has there been a simular measurement of adults for how bad you might get it?
children younger than age 5 may host up to 100 times as much of the virus in the upper respiratory tract as adults

#566 2020-07-30 19:19:25

Void

I do not hold against your concerns.  They are valid to be concerned about.

However, I am reading that in some corners, it is thought that 60% of children have a coronavirus immunity already, perhaps from colds.  And that is good news.  Without them there will be no tomorrow, with or without us.

The article I read is that 40-50% of adults may have such.  Probably "T" cell stuff, or something we do not understand yet.

For Sweden, probably much to the anger of our East Coast news media and the WHO, we for the moment have some good numbers.

Cases:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Sweden+Co … b6084a40a7

Deaths:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Sweden+Co … bdf021c476

Any guarantees?  No, not at all.  Especially if you consider that bad people may be spreading it intentionally.  I have said in other places, the way I think is that I consider multiple possibilities.

But, if there is a 40% population resistance, and 20% or more of the population susceptible then become ill and recover and die, you might be approaching a slowdown of rate of infection, and yes a degree of herd immunity.  The Russians in Moscow say that there will not be a second wave for them.  We will see.

Done.

I just so much love it when my computer bogs down on this site sad

Last edited by Void (2020-07-30 19:33:54)

Done.

#567 2020-08-01 18:42:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Remember those broken ventilators Trump administration mismanaged ventilator contract, costing taxpayers millions, Democrats claim

overpaying by roughly $500 million for tens of thousands of breathing machines earlier this year

"Philips is on track with the production and delivery of the 43,000 EV300 hospital ventilators according to the April 2020 contract with HHS. The list price of the specific bundle of the EV300 ventilator plus roll-stand and accessories, as selected by HHS, is over $21,000 and is being provided to the U.S. government for $15,000," the company said. "The agreed price [per unit] reflects a discount, while taking into account part of the higher costs for the expedited delivery schedule."

#568 2020-08-05 10:59:35

tahanson43206

Here is an update on UV light for destruction of virus in the air and on surfaces.

The article is written for the UsaToday audience ...

It contains clarification about the effectiveness of various wavelengths with various forms of virus, as well as clarification about injury to various parts of the human body caused by various wavelengths.

Apparently there is a wavelength that is effective against some virus while not being a severe threat to humans.

There is a caution about checking products carefully ... apparently a lot of junk is on the market, inspired by the opportunity caused by the Covid19 virus.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea … 546413002/

(th)

#569 2020-08-07 19:04:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

The ensemble forecast predicts that 168,000 to 182,000 total COVID-19 deaths will be reported by August 22. State-level ensemble forecasts predict that the number of reported new deaths per week may increase over the next four weeks in: Alabama, Kentucky, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, Tennessee, and Washington. A coronavirus model once forecast from Institute for Health Metrics cited by the White House now projects that more than 200,000 Americans could die of Covid-19 by Oct. 1. Dr. Anthony Fauci said the coronavirus death toll projections are a "moving target," but the United States could see between 100,000 and 200,000 deaths from the virus.

An AI-powered simulation run by a technology executive says that Coronavirus could infect as many as 2.5 billion people within 45 days and kill as many as 52.9 million of them.

A 7-year-old boy is now the youngest COVID-19 victim in Georgia

#570 2020-08-08 12:33:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

The next rise in cases are coming as schools open. 97,000 kids test positive for COVID-19 in two weeks, report says and thats only going to show whom is more of a chance to in as Hispanic and Black children facing higher rates of COVID-19 hospitalization

BB17J5d7.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=1401&y=800

This is how well we are doing...not, masks on chins, under nose ect.

here is the risk level for activity

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical … ocid=ientp

#571 2020-08-08 18:42:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

sort of a self help
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical … ocid=ientp

A pill that may lessen COVID-related lung damage. Miami will be first in U.S. to test it

Ifenprodil, a pill developed in the 1970s to treat blood circulation disorders

Ifenprodil could treat a lung disease called Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, a “scarring or thickening of the lung tissue” that researchers fear is causing some COVID-19 deaths and could continue to threaten the lives of recovered patients after they leave the hospital

The Coronavirus Is New, but Your Immune System Might Still Recognize It

A flurry of recent studies has revealed that a large proportion of the population — 20% to 50% of people in some places — might harbor immunity assassins called T cells that recognize the new coronavirus despite having never encountered it before.

These T cells, which lurked in the bloodstreams of people long before the pandemic began, are most likely stragglers from past scuffles with other, related coronaviruses, including four that frequently cause common colds.

That could exlain the wide variation.

#572 2020-08-09 17:44:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

This could be why we have not heard from Louis...Britain, one of the countries hardest hit by the virus, reported more than 1,000 new Covid-19 infections on Sunday, its highest daily increase since June,

In the US we are seeing more assaults coming from those that do not want to wear masks and yet we have stores passing them out for those that do not have them for entry to shop.

“They used to say the heat, the heat was good for it and it really knocks it out, remember?

Yet the rates of infection continues to climb in the pandemic, his vices—venality, dishonesty, self-absorption, dereliction, heedlessness—turned deadly.  .

#573 2020-08-10 10:04:54

Terraformer
Website

The heat doesn't help if you spend your time in air conditioned buildings. It just means you can do almost all activities *outside* safely.

IMO, the pubs and restaurants and cafes here in the UK should have never been shut down, but told they had to move outside. Beer gardens aren't much of a danger for superspreader events, but indoor bars very much are.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#574 2020-08-10 15:54:43

Calliban

Terraformer wrote:

The heat doesn't help if you spend your time in air conditioned buildings. It just means you can do almost all activities *outside* safely.

IMO, the pubs and restaurants and cafes here in the UK should have never been shut down, but told they had to move outside. Beer gardens aren't much of a danger for superspreader events, but indoor bars very much are.

Yeah.  But shutting down pubs, restaurants, etc, is a good way of ensuring that the goyim cannot converse.  I strongly suspect that lockdown measures have a lot to do with getting people accustomed to being pushed around and having no freedom of association.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#575 2020-08-13 17:40:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

Louis has been absent for 3 plus weeks approaching 4 and as I have not heard one can only hope that all is well.

Not good as China Says Frozen Chicken Wings from Brazil Test Positive for Virus

Schools are getting increased cases Push to Reopen Schools Backfired

We should have listened The CDC issued a dire warning for the fall

This is asking a lot from a 17-year-old Chili's hostess attacked by angry customers after trying to enforce restaurant's COVID-19 seating policy

Board footer