New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#151 2020-04-07 12:06:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Healthcare for all, not Trump or Obama care

Terraformer the intake forms are done when you get to the hospital and while you are there in the computer system but if that form does not include the box then there is nothing to check util after they are dead it seems. As its not part of the discharge papers either.

Kbd512 the question is what drug must be given first at what levels for how many doses versus are they just both given after a confirmed test. Is there a period of time that it must be given within versus how late for a bad condition are they not effective.

#152 2020-04-07 12:32:14

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Maybe if we ask nicely the Chinese will tell us exactly what they did.  Since they're deathly afraid of this thing coming back around for a second pass at their country, that should be too difficult of a request to respond to.  Waiting longer to start treatment never improves the life expectancy of a patient suffering from a lethal disease.  I didn't even have to go to medical school to figure out that last part.

#153 2020-05-13 18:05:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

Along with losing their jobs, Americans who previously had health insurance coverage through their employers will lose that, too. As a result of the shutdown 27 million Americans may lose health insurance coverage

Eight states including California, Texas, Pennsylvania, New York, Georgia, Florida, Michigan and Ohio will account for roughly half of the people who lost health insurance they previously had through their job, the report estimated. Those individuals may be eligible for subsidized coverage under the Affordable Care Act, for Medicaid, or may continue their employer insurance through COBRA.

But COBRA insurance is often expensive, since former employees generally pay the entire premium themselves. On average, annual COBRA insurance premiums are $7,188 for a single person and $20,576 for a family,
Before the pandemic, 1 in 3 Americans said that they wouldn't be able to pay a $400 medical bill without selling their belongings or borrowing money.

We are in this situation as a result of delayed response and the ignorance of reports that warned on just what and how back this could be. Whistleblower to testify 'window of opportunity is closing' to combat coronavirus

"The virus is out there, it’s everywhere. We need to be able to find it, to isolate it and to stop it from infecting more people. We need tests that are accurate, rapid, easy to use, low cost, and available to everyone who needs them,"

Recent news of positive personnel around both Trump and Pence have started the wearing of masks and daily quick testing of all which they interact with. The members have been getting tests and the error of the tests give a false sense that the virus is not there when it is. So prevention and risk reduction is all you have to prevent what could be death for many that could catch it and die. So the people that do not want to wear masks are just following by the leaderships example of not wearing them but look what has happened. When we have 2 sets of those that are rich versus those that are not when they can not get a test unless dieing it would seem.

If the President Tests Positive for the Virus, What Happens?

Trying to get back to normal is not going to be kind to america as cases are on the rise already in areas of the nation that have been lasks to wearing let alone social distancing. Now is not the time to jump back in as Trump calls Fauci's caution on schools reopening 'not an acceptable answer' as there is a secondary disease that seems to be killing the children that have gotten corona but did not show it.

Fauci stressed that states follow the reopening guidelines released by the White House, specifically citing that states should see a 14-day consecutive decline in daily new COVID-19 cases before beginning to reopen. Texas has failed to reach that benchmark. One state that is going for it now has Texas sees 1,000 new coronavirus cases 5 days in a row as the state struggles to curb the coronavirus pandemic.

#154 2020-05-16 20:05:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

The crisis showed how little we really cared about medical care when it represents the culmination of chronic structural weaknesses, years of underinvestment and political rhetoric that has undermined the public trust — conditions compounded by President Trump’s open hostility to a federal bureaucracy that has been called upon to manage the crisis. Crisis exposes how America has hollowed out its government even after the machinery of government clanked into motion, missteps, endemic obstacles and lack of clear communication have plagued the efforts to meet the needs of the nation.

“A fundamental role of government is the safety and security of its people,” said Janet Napolitano, the former secretary of homeland security. “To me that means you have to maintain a certain base level so that, when an event like a pandemic manifests itself, you can quickly activate what you have and you have already in place a system and plan for what the federal government is going to do and what the states are going to do.”

other state problems highlighted are 

Flaws in the nation’s unemployment insurance program, a patchwork system run through the states, highlighted inequities, as benefits vary from state to state, as do eligibility requirements and length of assistance. Congress authorized an additional $600-a-week payment through July for those unemployed, on top of what they would receive from their state program, which has resulted in some people receiving more money while being unemployed than when they were working.

Which in the end shows that wages are just to low to start with. even the essential worker that did get a raise during the pandemic are now about to lose that extra putting them back once more behind the eight ball...

Then again when the worker raises the red flag for problems as in Manufacturing workers sound alarm on COVID-19 outbreaks

COVID-19 outbreaks at meat and poultry facilities have hobbled the nation's meat supply chain, leading President Donald Trump to invoke the Defense Production Act to keep them open.

Which boils back down to safe guards in the form of regulations for the industry not a reduction of them which cause deaths...

#155 2020-06-13 14:24:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

How much would your insurance pay when or if you catch corona virus...
A 70-year-old man was hospitalized with COVID-19 for 62 days. Then he received a $1.1 million hospital bill, including over $80,000 for using a ventilator.

Nurses care for a patient with COVID-19 at a Seattle, Washington, hospital on May 7, 2020.

•A man in Washington state who spent more than two months in the hospital and more than a month in the Intensive Care Unit with COVID-19 received a 181-page itemized bill that totals more than $1.1 million, The Seattle Times reported.

•Michael Flor, 70, will likely foot little of the bill due to his being insured through Medicare, according to the report.

•"I feel guilty about surviving," Flor told The Seattle Times. "There's a sense of 'why me?' Why did I deserve all this? Looking at the incredible cost of it all definitely adds to that survivor's guilt."

•Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

A 70-year-old man in Seattle, Washington, was hit with a $1.1 million 181-page long hospital bill following his more than two-month stay in a local hospital while he was treated for — and nearly died from — COVID-19.

"I opened it and said 'holy (expletive)!' " the patient, Michael Flor, who received the $1,122,501.04 bill told The Seattle Times.

He added: "I feel guilty about surviving. There's a sense of 'why me?' Why did I deserve all this? Looking at the incredible cost of it all definitely adds to that survivor's guilt."

According to the report, Flor will not have to pay for the majority of the charges because he has Medicare, which will foot the cost of most if not all of his COVID-19 treatment. The 70-year-old spent 62 days in the Swedish Medical Center in Issaquah, Washington, 42 days of which he spent isolated in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

Of the more than one month he spent in a sealed-off room in the ICU, Flor spent 29 days on a ventilator. According to the Seattle Times, a nurse on one occasion even helped him call his loved ones to say his final goodbyes, as he believed he was close to death from the virus.

While in the ICU, Flor was billed $9,736 each day; more than $80,000 of the bill is made up of charges incurred from his use of a ventilator, which cost $2,835 per day, according to the report. A two-day span of his stay in the hospital when his organs, including his kidneys, lungs, and heart began to fail, cost $100,000, according to the report.

#156 2020-06-14 18:57:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

She Survived the Coronavirus. Then She started receiving bills soon after returning in April to her mother’s home from Mount Sinai Morningside hospital there was one for $31,165. Unable to work and finding it difficult to walk the she got a $400,000 Medical Bill.

The next one was impossible to ignore: an invoice for $401,885.57, although it noted that the hospital would reduce the bill by $326,851.63 as a “financial assistance benefit.” But that still left a tab of more than $75,000.

A spokesman for the hospital told The Times that Ms. Mendez erroneously received a bill that should have gone directly to her insurance company or the government.

Coronavirus patients, through a series of federal aid packages, are supposed to be largely exempt from paying for the bulk of their care.

Not made any better when you undermine the healthcare laws....

When Ms. Mendez got over the initial shock and examined her bill more closely, she was struck by how vague and arbitrary the charges seemed. She was billed $3,550 for “inpatient charges” and another $42,714.52 for “pharmacy,” but without any breakdown of what medicines she received or how much each cost.

Most of the line items on her hospital bill are vague. Some of the most expensive are four entries that simply read “Medical — Cardiac Care.” Each one ranges from $41,000 to $82,000.

Ms. Mendez received a bill separate from the hospital. The doctors who cared for her individually charged between $300 and $1,800 for each day. Some days, four different doctors billed her for treatment.

Part of the confusion was that Ms. Mendez had recently changed health insurers, and she had arrived at the hospital struggling to breathe and without her new insurance information. The hospital billing department concluded she was uninsured and sent her a bill directly.

Funny separate bills as if she had gone to separate places....

#157 2020-06-14 20:48:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

#158 2020-06-15 03:16:57

Terraformer
Website

When Ms. Mendez got over the initial shock and examined her bill more closely, she was struck by how vague and arbitrary the charges seemed.

A common complaint about American healthcare. There's no uniform price list - a broken arm costs $x, an MRI scan costs $y, a round of chemo costs $z etc. Wildly different prices for different customers, depending on who's paying.

Countries with more functional systems do it differently.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#159 2020-06-15 05:44:16

Void

I feel bad about posting so much, but that is not stopping me.

I feel that at least some of health care, especially preventative medicines, diagnosis, and dental, could be considered a worthy investment, to reduce future costs.  If someone gets expensively sick later, most likely, in many cases, society has to pick up the tab anyway.

I do have a resentment for the phrase "Medicare for all".  I paid for my part A, during my working life.  My part B, I had to pay out of pocket for my first year.  And technically I still pay out of pocket as it is automatically taken from me from my retirement income.

Then I have to buy my supplement plans.  I have very good coverage, but in my retired condition, I still pay ~$400.00 for my insurance per month.  So, it is not at all free.  Technically I paid/pay the whole thing myself.  So, I don't want other people diving into it, where they basically will raise my costs.

However, I think I have a solution to the problem.  I think people who need it should have a "Tab".  In other words, be able to take a loan, especially for the category of preventative medicines.

Then, they should have an extra tax applied to them for income they earn.  With limits.  There is no point in taking so much of their income that they end up in poverty, or loose incentive to work.  Both of those situations would be counter productive to social interests.

I would start with preventative medicines, such as check-ups, needed medications to prevent greater costs down the road, some dental work like cleanings, and such other things that might come to mind later.

If it works out then perhaps it could later be expanded to other medical and dental needs.

So, the money collected from people who choose to have such a tab, should equal the costs paid out to the collective group of people using a tab.

This then rewards people who keep healthy.  Of course, unfortunately, it would be necessary to regulate people who might be inclined to overuse medical resources, and get themselves in trouble with their tab.

The above may need some work.

In some cases, it might even be reasonable to put the costs of birth, onto the tab of the one born.  In such a case, we might get parents to have more children.  Some might not like that, but if you listen to Peter Zeihan, a good demography needs to have young people as a certain percentage of a population.  I suppose that for a child, other costs could be put on the tab for that child.

But again it is not useful to put a person into poverty with such a method.

It is also not useful to make it so that they have no incentive to work.

So, limits on tax charges, a ceiling of some sort.

Also within that some tax tables based on income, to determine what percentage of the tab should be paid each year.

In some ways this could be viewed as unfair.  A person who is ill more often ends up with a financial burden, someone healthy does not so much have that problem.

But life is often unfair in some ways.  We do not stop some people from being good looking, just because some other person is not as good looking.

We do not all that much compensate people who are less ambitious than others.  We generally reward people for contributions to society, or at least we should.

A person who drew a short straw, that is who needs more medical attention during their life, at least then does get that medical attention, so, they are benefited, even if some of their future income will be taken during the rest of their life.

I think that at death, the tab goes away.  That is just my opinion.  If they were frugal and ambitious, then I think it would be wrong to take the inheritance that their beneficiaries would otherwise be entitled to.

I also think that a person would not be required to use a tab.  If they could pay for medical other ways, that should be OK.  If they bother to pay for insurance, then they do not have to use the tab.  If they can pay it out of pocket, then they would not be required to use the tab.

But with limitations, every person would pay off a percentage of their tab every year.  Income tax tables used, I might think.

As I said before, however, I think the plan starts with preventative treatments, as an experiment, to iron out the wrinkles.  Maybe if it does not work out then it is dropped.  If it does work out then fine, consider expanding the scope of it.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-06-15 06:26:47)

Done.

#160 2020-06-16 16:13:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

We do hope that they many Covid-19 vaccine Human trials are successful including those now starting Imperial College London.

Of course there is the next phase and that is at what cost to whom Coronavirus vaccine will be made free for Americans who can't afford it, US officials say

#161 2020-06-18 19:25:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

#162 2020-06-25 17:56:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

With the shocking bills for hospital care there is no time to let your insurance . Amid coverage losses, 'Obamacare' enrollments are up

Close to half a million people who lost their health insurance amid the economic shutdown to slow the spread of COVID-19 have gotten coverage through HealthCare.gov, the government reported Thursday. An estimated 27 million people may have lost job-based coverage due to layoffs, and it's unclear what — if anything — they're turning to as a fallback. People who lose employer health care are eligible for a special sign-up period for subsidized plans under the Obama-era law. Many may also qualify for Medicaid.

Trump administration is expected to file written arguments in a Supreme Court case to overturn the Affordable Care Act. That would jeopardize coverage for some 20 million Americans and put at risk protections for people with preexisting health problems.

#163 2020-06-29 20:11:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now up no reason to work on this in the senate House Democrats approve health bill, seeking contrast with Trump’s Obamacare assault

Gilead Sciences disclosed its pricing for the COVID-19 treatment remdesivir, saying it will charge $3,120 for patients with private health insurance. Patients who are covered by government programs like Medicaid will be charged $2,340 for a typical treatment course

We politics over ride medical care 17-year-old girl dies of coronavirus after parents treated her with unapproved drugs

developed a headache, sinus pressure and mild cough. Her mother, a nurse, and father, a physician assistant, thought she had a sinus infection, so they gave her azithromycin, a prescription antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections, six days later oxygen saturation and got a dangerously low reading, in the 40s. Levels below 90 are considered concerning. mother then hooked her daughter up to her grandfather's oxygen machine, which brought her O2 levels into the 60s. The report also states that the parents gave Carsyn a dose of hydroxychloroquine. next four days, she received "aggressive therapy" and was eventually transferred to Nicklaus Children's Hospital in Miami, where she died, the report stated.

#164 2020-07-07 16:06:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Not the complete picture as Trump claims 99% of coronavirus cases are 'totally harmless'; 'long haulers' with lingering symptoms say he's wrong

Nearly four months after being diagnosed with COVID-19, Karyn Bishof endures a long list of symptoms that includes a collapsed lung, chronic fatigue and a wildly irregular heartbeat.

Of course lung transplants have also been performed on those that survived though barely...
Some have left sooner and some not at all for sure. Its the damage that this virus does that is the issue.
There are those that survived but wanted to know and its not until now that one might get a test which could not be done back in March. So the Nasal Swab, the finger stick all have a bout a 50% of the test providing either answer leaving you to get the blood testing with viles of blood being drawn to put a final answer to the question.

U.K. reported that Covid-19 antibodies remained stable in a majority of infected people almost two months after they were diagnosed, but as many as 8.5% of patients didn’t develop antibodies at all.

Those that did not die will have problems for the remaining part of there lives as people who have had the virus now have "long-standing lung injury, cardiovascular injury, heart injury, and neurologic injury as well.
The coronavirus pandemic will create 'a generation of disabled individuals,' according to a doctor and researcher

Remember when a 75,000 was a good death number but that was through the rest of the year but how is it then that we are now at 130,000 deaths, and still climbing....

#165 2020-07-08 18:36:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

The end results of thinking that this virus cares anything about party..we know that large gatherings and rallys ‘likely’ source of virus surge. Tulsa health official: Trump rally ‘likely’ source of virus surge

#166 2020-07-22 20:26:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

#167 2020-07-30 17:39:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

Paid the ultimate price Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain, diagnosed with Covid-19 after attending Donald Trump’s Tulsa rally in June, has died from the virus. He had been hospitalized this month in the Atlanta area with the novel coronavirus after testing positive for it on June 29. Mr. Cain had attended President Trump’s indoor rally in Tulsa, Okla., on June 20. He was diagnosed with the disease nine days after the Tulsa rally, where many attendees crowded close together without wearing face masks. A reporter who attended the Trump rally is among those who have tested positive for COVID-19, along with six of Trump's campaign staffers and two members of the Secret Service who worked in advance of the rally.

#168 2020-08-01 16:25:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

#169 2020-08-03 21:03:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

#170 2021-11-06 20:23:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

The insurance companies are still playing there game of passing on the costs of the uninsured or in this case the discounted policies to those not having one of them.
A call center helps Americans access Obamacare. They struggle to afford their own insurance.

“I’m helping people making under $25,000, and I’m making under $25,000,” Collier said. “Their co-payments are like $25, and their premiums per month may be zero dollars, and I’m paying $4,500 for a premium per year. How can that be? That’s just totally ridiculous.”

"Employees can choose between a plan that has a $1,500 annual deductible with an employee contribution of $75 per paycheck," Eileen Rivera said in an email. "We also offer another plan that has no monthly premium and has a $4,500 deductible."

There are two plan options: the core plan and the buy-up plan. One has a lower deductible but higher employee contributions. The core plan has a $4,500 deductible for individuals, but that amount doubles to $9,000 for families. Once that’s met, employees are on the hook for 30 percent of additional costs until they meet the “annual out-of-pocket maximum” of $12,000. Under the other plan, the individual deductible is $1,500 and $3,000 for families.

#171 2022-09-01 01:09:12

Mars_B4_Moon

US Life Expectancy falls for the second year in a row, now not even in global Top 70.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho … y-covid-19

#172 2023-03-09 08:24:04

Mars_B4_Moon

59% of Americans don't want AI robots used during surgery
https://www.beckersasc.com/news-analysi … rgery.html
Here are three survey takeaways regarding Americans' attitudes about the use of AI-driven surgical robots

We Won’t Prevent Your Cancer, You Have To Start Dying First
https://americandreaming.substack.com/p … r-you-have

Healthcare Robotics Engineering Forum full conference agenda
https://www.therobotreport.com/healthca … -agenda-2/

Robot carries out more than 450 surgical operations at Milton Keynes Hospital
https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/peo … al-4038945
Hundreds of surgical operations are being carried out by a robot at Milton Keynes University Hospital.

Zero-tolerance policy to abuse of hospital staff

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/53596 … tal-staff/

Hospitals fear debt could reach £28m

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/65764 … reach-28m/

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-03-10 05:09:25)

#173 2023-03-09 18:54:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

How about one that can remove the need to buy medicare or face a 10% penalty for the for going of it at age 65...

Board footer