New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-07-01 14:50:18

Ian
Banned

Re: Hydrogen Powered Cars - Hydrogen Powerd Cars

I don't know if hydrogen powered cars will work just because the President said so. What major research has been done on whether or not kenetic energy can be extracted from the potential energy of hydrogen to make the car go? Isn't hydrogen a very explosive element? Look what happened to the Hindenberg Blimp. I hope that the engineers are more careful this time. If hydrogen is used in that way, then the explosive properties could be used to make the car go really fast. Unless of course it explodes in the process.

#2 2003-07-01 19:11:09

Free Spirit
Banned

Re: Hydrogen Powered Cars - Hydrogen Powerd Cars

There's a lot of promising research into using technologies like hydrogen fuel cells to power vehicles.  Hydrogen has gotten a bad rap as a dangerous substance.  You might visit this site for an overview of the Hindenburg, or better yet, read Tomorrow's Energy: Hydrogen, Fuel Cells, and the Prospects for a Cleaner Planet by Peter Hoffmann.  It's one of the better books out there that covers both the benefits and problems of using hydrogen.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

Board footer