New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#351 2020-05-14 08:45:06

tahanson43206

Re: 2019 NCOV a.k.a. Wuhan's Diseases

For a change of of pace in the Wuhan's topic ...

For the first time in ** my ** lifetime, I just experienced a furnace inspection by a technician from my furnace provider.  The procedure went well, although it was a bit difficult to communicate through the masks << grin >>.  The technician (Greg) was courteous and respectful, as I have come to expect from this company.  The AC was tested successfully, so I'm ready for the hot days to come.

It must be as psychologically challenging for the technician as it is for the home owner, during this time.  The technician could be carrying the virus from home to home , or picking it up at any of them.  I was glad to see the company provided upper grade face equipment and gloves.  They had long been providing rubber booties so the interior of the customer's homes could be protected.

(th)

#352 2020-05-14 08:57:21

Void

I have read your post tahanson43206.  You seem to be adapting well.

------\\

I have been looking for treatment that are being done for hospitalized patients.  Some seem to be showing up.

Just discovered this one this morning:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/14/russia- … sults.html

There are others under testing, that reduce the duration of illness, and perhaps also reduce the severity.

I am reading about blood plasma transfers, both containing antibodies from recovered people, and also read about 5-6 out of 8 very sick patients, recovering from very serious illness, just using blood plasma from people who have never been ill from the corona.

And Vitamin D seems to help people from getting a run-away immune system.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellne … r-BB139flU

Time will tell if that is significant.

And they seem to be working on drugs, that can quite down an immune system that has gone out of control.

Some people have been suffering from blood clot problems, even strokes that kill patients.
For this they are trying blood thinners.

From my point of view, the Coronavirus did not become particularly real until toward mid March of this year.

So, we have had 2 months, where treatments have been experimented with.

So, looking ahead, if we fear a second spike in the fall, we have...…
~1/2 of May,
June,
July,
August,
and maybe Sept. Oct???....

For them to come up with more things.

I think a vaccine is very iffy, and not at all likely before January.

But I am hopeful.

While the Swedish, (Not really they say), herd immunity thing also even partially proves, useful, by fall, we should be in a much better place, per any second spike.

I am somewhat in danger, being somewhat older than 65.

But I am hopeful.  And for those rare cases where young children get seriously sick, I should hope they will get a handle on that.

Someone like me will need to hide in my house for perhaps the rest of the year.

But if they get the death rate down, to similar to flu, and also if there is a herd immunity of any value, then it would be wise to emulate some of what Sweden, and India, and I think Mexico are trying.

We cannot all hide in our houses for 2 more years.  That might end in total social breakdown, and lack of necessities.

Wisconsin may be of a benefit to me, as it, could first project more illness into my state, but later may be a protective shield from thing east of Wisconsin, which could be a threat to myself and others to the west of that state.

I do have a touch of the paranoid.  Although I mostly dismiss the possibility.  One could speculate that releasing a virus, in China, and the Oil Price war, could have been calculated by some entities, to overturn the centers of power, and place the people who might have calculated the outcome in a better position.

If this were at all plausible, the calculation is the western countries are weak, and could not stand up, or respond in a responsible manner, and so would go down.  In this calculation, some of the objective would be also to weaken Russia, knock out Nigeria and some other oil producers.

Although I do mostly dismiss the above, (I think it was just a set of circumstances that rebounded off of reality), even so, it plays into a projection where, China would recover it's industry relative to the west, and some of the Persian Gulf nations would be able to set an Oil price they want, and so they would supply China.

That however would be including a large set of mistakes on their part.  So, it does not seem probable.

The west will recover also, not go completely to pieces.  Russia is tough.

The Shale Oil recovery will be fast.

If there were to have been a bad set of players, their miscalculations will likely deny them as much profit as they may have hoped for.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-05-14 09:24:31)

Done.

#353 2020-05-14 16:54:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Wear one 6-mask.jpg

The science of masks is simple, and I'm one of 100 experts urging governors to require public mask-wearing.

Officials release edited coronavirus reopening guidance

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted six one-page “decision tool” documents that use traffic signs and other graphics to tell organizations what they should consider before reopening.

The tools are for schools, workplaces, camps, childcare centers, mass transit systems, and bars and restaurants. The CDC originally also authored a document for churches and other religious facilities,.

Changing the rules if they do not agree with what is coming out of our leader will not fix the unrest.

Trump says testing may be 'frankly overrated'

Well China after just a few hot spots is testing everyone to stop its spread...

FDA Cautions About Accuracy Of Widely Used Abbott Coronavirus Test

as many as 15 to 20 out of every 100 tests may produce falsely negative results. A subsequent study released this week indicated that the test could be missing as many as 48% of infections.

This is what happens to all that perform but if the heat our leader gets is high then heads roll...
Pentagon fires its point person for Defense Production Act

Santos took over the job of deputy assistant secretary of defense for industrial policy in June 2019 after her predecessor, Eric Chewning, was tapped to serve as chief of staff to then-acting Secretary of Defense Pat Shanahan. Since March, Santos has focused on using the Defense Production Act to partner with industry to bolster the nation’s supply of critical medical equipment such as ventilators, personal protective gear and testing materials needed to counter the coronavirus pandemic..

As the cough and sneeze demonstrations have shown just how far and now how fast its passed by hands...
Terrifying 'black light' video reveals how easily virus can spread in restaurants as diners unwittingly contaminate themselves within minutes

Droplets from human speech can last in air for more than 8 minutes, new study from Penn says

I meantioned that NY was seeing a secondary children disease and now Italian doctors discover link between coronavirus and rare inflammatory disorder in children 80% of those testing positive for coronavirus

Another packing plant is struck with corona Spike in coronavirus cases at Minnesota meatpacking plant prompts employees to demand shutdown rallied for two weeks after health officials confirmed that 154 workers had tested positive for coronavirus.

COVID-19 has infected workers at 115 meat and poultry processing facilities in 19 states, according to a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of the roughly 130,000 employees at the plants, more than 4,900 workers contracted the virus, and at least 20 have died.

Another food production plant Coronavirus outbreak reported at Maruchan ramen noodle factory in Virginia

#354 2020-05-16 09:07:17

Terraformer
Website

Rare inflammatory disorder? That would be an *overactive* immune response, then... the flipside of children being at very low risk from the virus itself.

In family news, my uncle is back in hospital with bacterial pneumonia. His lungs are are mess. The virus kills ~1% of people it infects, but 10-20% don't escape unscathed. There are going to be a lot of deaths of survivors when flu comes back around.

Use what is abundant and build to last

#355 2020-05-16 14:05:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

This is why we should wait a bit longer and require masks Texas cases of COVID-19 increasing by thousands since reopening

Its not going to be just Texas for this rising numbers all over again....

Leaders that are calling all to go back to work but do not own the deaths are not helping and neither will this Wave of 'vaccine nationalism' hinders global efforts to stop coronavirus

#356 2020-05-16 18:38:18

louis

People have lost all sense of proportion.  Deaths rates with the Spanish Flu in 1918-1919 reached 250 per 100,000 in just ONE week at times in parts of the USA.

The equivalent with coronavirus after some two MONTHS is 27. The equivalent weekly figure would be something like 3.

That's 3 compared with 250. And the Spanish Flu was taking fit and young healthy people, not just people at the end of life or with serious underlying medical conditions.

Our forebears didn't shut down their whole economy and inflict terrible damage on themselves. They took sensible precautions, mostly. 

There is nothing in this pandemic to justify creating economic havoc and storing up huge medical problems as people are denied, or do not seek, treatment for other medical conditions or suffer negative health effects from unemployment and so on. The death toll from the stupid lockdown policy will vastly exceed that from coronavirus and will take many thousands of young people.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#357 2020-05-16 18:46:27

RobertDyck
Website

Many are saying this isn't about a virus.
Manitoba enlists 216 liquor inspectors, safety officers and other officials to enforce pandemic orders

And today marks the 5th day with no new COVID-19 cases for our province. Down to 25 active cases, of which 2 are in hospital, of which 1 in ICU. The following graph updates daily, so tomorrow will have different stats.
wfp-covid-19-daily-caseload-cumulative-web.png

So why did the province extend the state of emergency an additional 30 days?
Manitoba extends state of emergency

#358 2020-05-16 19:51:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

Why a positive Covid-19 antibody test doesn't mean much of anything yet. to see if you have been exposed to Covid-19, the deadly disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Even if you've never had any symptoms of Covid-19, the presence of antibodies in your blood would show your body has encountered the virus.To be clear, antibody tests are not the "swab" tests that are meant to find out if you are currently carrying the virus.

There are dozens of such tests being used or developed in the United States right now, but few are highly accurate. That means they can fail to detect an active virus, thus delivering a false sense of security. A recent yet unpublished study of five commonly used diagnostic tests by the Cleveland Clinic found 15% delivered false negatives. In China, one study found the number of false negatives was nearly 40%.

Nursing home deaths are why elderly are so high and when that is removed its about the same for all age groups for getting sick.

Edit for nursing homes:
Major nursing home chain violated federal standards meant to stop spread of disease even after start of covid-19, records show

Over the past six weeks, as the nationwide death toll among the elderly soared, government inspectors discovered breakdowns in infection control and prevention at nine Life Care nursing homes that underwent covid-19 inspections overseen by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

At several Life Care nursing homes since then, inspectors discovered staff who did not wash their hands or enforce social distancing guidelines, according to the inspection reports.

At one home in Denver on May 5, staffers left an isolation room door open, allowing a patient with covid-19 to slip outside into the hallway without a face mask and sit next to a room with two healthy residents.

At another home in Colorado, a nursing assistant hovered 12 inches from the face of a coughing patient who was not wearing a mask.

In Michigan, a nursing assistant rolled a blood pressure machine out of an isolation room and into a non-covid-19 room without sanitizing the equipment.

In Kansas, inspectors found a nursing home’s infection control log failed to include two patients with fevers — one was sent to the hospital with a 103-degree fever and died.

#359 2020-05-17 03:44:01

louis

By now, unless you are a total hermit, you and everyone else will have been exposed to the virus. Some will have fought it off with first line defences in (nasal mucus and tonsils), others will have had their bodies invaded by the virus but be asymptomatic, many will have had mild forms of the disease, and a small minority will have had a serious or fatal version of the disease.

SpaceNut wrote:

Why a positive Covid-19 antibody test doesn't mean much of anything yet. to see if you have been exposed to Covid-19, the deadly disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Even if you've never had any symptoms of Covid-19, the presence of antibodies in your blood would show your body has encountered the virus.To be clear, antibody tests are not the "swab" tests that are meant to find out if you are currently carrying the virus.

There are dozens of such tests being used or developed in the United States right now, but few are highly accurate. That means they can fail to detect an active virus, thus delivering a false sense of security. A recent yet unpublished study of five commonly used diagnostic tests by the Cleveland Clinic found 15% delivered false negatives. In China, one study found the number of false negatives was nearly 40%.

Nursing home deaths are why elderly are so high and when that is removed its about the same for all age groups for getting sick.

#360 2020-05-17 07:51:22

Void

I hate to offer hope, but perhaps this new thing will matter.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sti-1499 … 00066.html

From my observations, I have some suspicion that there has been an effort to emphasize fear to an excess.  I do also understand that under the current circumstances stimulus money is necessary.  But I would be somewhat concerned at to who gets money in their pocket.  Caution, at least a little caution is advised.  It annoys me when periodically after the American people fill up the treasury, and then some event, justifies channeling money to the anointed.  Sometimes war is used for that.  (In part),  and that can be good in the stimulation of the military to be in practice, and with good weapons.  But the excessive fear mongering, I feel could lead to scams, by the connected verbal types.

But that is just a caution.  I do believe that we will want the best possible capabilities per the medical for plagues such as Coronavirus. I think I agree that it is as important as being able to defend the country(s) militarily.

Just like the stock market public mood is manic depressive.  And I think that politics, newsfeed $, and money scamming from the public treasury, may in part why we are being influenced to panic.  I do believe that sheltering in place, masks, social distances was appropriate and should be continued where is possible.

As time has gone on however, I see less reason for panic, and more reason for hope.

I suppose that when they tell us, that vaccines will not be available for 8-18 or more months, and they might not work well even then, It is good to have some truth there, but some hope also.  I really do think that there are some very strange people out there that think that we could just hide in our housed for 2 years.  Of course no, that can't be done.  As I think Elon Musk, said, you can print money, but that is not the same thing as providing material goods.

I am quite concerned that there are a lot of people out there with mouths larger than their minds, that don't comprehend the difference between money and wealth.

------

Anyway, to get more back on track, you can query for STI-1499.  (It apparently is an antibody).

The treatment, it is claimed can totally or I will suggest greatly, stop the Coronavirus in it's tracks.  But it is not on the market yet.

There can be some concern that the claim is a scam, as the value of the stock doubled in the last few days.  But I have read many articles about it, and at this time I think it is more real than not.

Information I have read indicates that it can shorten an infection to 4 days, and at least in the kind of testing they have done so far, it plugs up the spikes on the virus, so that the virus cannot enter a cell.  Eventually the claim says, the virus is eliminated from the body.

So, where I am going with this is the high powers have been getting scary about a "Second Wave" in the fall.  Which I am not qualified to dispute.

But I am looking around at the news, particularly treatments emerging for Coronavirus infections.  It looks to me like there is a large body of treatments emerging.  I am sure they will not all work out, but this changes things.

Most of the world is dead set against the Swedish method, which is to try to live with the virus.  They have had significant elder deaths, but now if greater treatments are available, the death rate should be somewhat better modified for survival of people with serious infections.  So, it can become a different moral calculation, as time goes by.

In many ways, states "Opening up" looks somewhat like the Swedish method, but of course nobody wants to confess that herd immunity is part of the calculation.  Of course, I believe that herd immunity will just show up.

I could list all the treatments that have emerged, but that would be tiresome.

I find if strange that their are still people going around insisting that Coronavirus may not offer immunity.  The big question there, is how did the seriously ill recover, in many cases, if their immunity system is not helping?

As for vaccines, I have read that for some people, many times the elder, a vaccine does not work very well as, there is not much of an immune system to activate.

So, it will be wonderful if the STI-1499 treatment (Plus other antibodies), works out, as that may work for such people as a vaccine will not help much.  And if I interpret it there should be a good chance to have it long before a vaccine that is potent is available.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2020-05-17 08:33:26)

Done.

#361 2020-05-17 16:38:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

The Ebola drug is the one which gives the disease a shorter life but its not a cure.

The carrier which removed all sailors and tested all of which those that had it but got well have been repatriated to the ship only to become infected again...does not bode well...

A dead person earns no money, an infected one less so with lasting effects for many that will always need more money than they make......•137 cases of NYC children with Pediatric Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome associated with COVID-19

‘Straight-Up Fire’ in His Veins: Teen Battles New Coronavirus Syndrome

tennis-ball-size lymph node, raging fever, racing heartbeat and dangerously low blood pressure. Pain deluged his body in “a throbbing, stinging rush,”

ap_covid_toes.jpg?resize=800,452
‘COVID Toes,’ Other Rashes Are Latest Possible Rare Virus Signs

The wild west of opening up without the safety gear Coronavirus updates: Texas reports single highest daily rate increase of infections

The United States is the worst-affected country, with more than 1.4 million diagnosed cases and at least 88,898 deaths.

The latest number of of coronavirus cases in Texas jumped by 1,801 in a single day, the highest daily rate since the state started tracking data. The number of cases reported now stands at 46,999, according to the latest figures released by Johns Hopkins University.

There are currently 19,093 active cases statewide with 1,791 patients hospitalized -- which is an increase of 75 from yesterday.

A total of 678,471 people have been tested out of a statewide population of around 29 million people.

The state of Texas has also reported 1,305 fatalities -- an increase of 33 but down from the two day high of 58 and 56 the previous two days.

#362 2020-05-17 21:27:30

GW Johnson
Website

This gets down (fundamentally) to whether one values lives above money or money above lives. 

All the secular ethicists,  all the mainstream religions,  and most of your mothers all agree that you should value lives above money,  that money above lives is evil.  Nearly all of you were taught that as children.

So,  "flattening the curve" means you limit deaths to avoid overloading your health care system,  at the expense of drawing out the infection pulse over a longer period of time.  But,  the cost is that the longer you draw this out,  the more economic damage you do.

And I just told you in my first 2 paragraphs how to morally resolve that ethical dilemma.

It's really that simple,  and that ugly.

What you do to mitigate the economic damage is short term give handouts,  longer term create jobs.  And by that I mean something analogous to the New Deal CCC.  There's lots of infrastructure to rebuild.  Jobs like that can be done while still interrupting disease transmission.  If you're going to spend the money anyway (and so far they have),  then why not get something worthwhile for it? 

Re-employing people to do this gives them income to spend,  health care access,  and a way to buy food and housing. Looks like a winner to me,  just like it was in the 1930's.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2020-05-17 21:29:04)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#363 2020-05-17 21:41:05

Void

OK, GW, seems rational.  And I love that.

Spacenut, we are guaranteed to die one, way or another.

Gonna take a break rather than being an ass more than I am.

Take care of yourselves ok?

Done.

#364 2020-05-17 21:56:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

The NY cases of children coming down with the corona related syndrome has also been seen in the UK.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus- … 23773.html
it seems that the children get a sort of mild case getting well and then after 5 weeks start to show signs.

#365 2020-05-18 19:34:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine shows encouraging early results in human safety trial
Neutralizing antibodies bind to the virus, disabling it from attacking human cells.

Reopening the US: States relax rules, but some could return to stay-at-home orders if coronavirus cases surge some governors say they're willing to change course.
Judge tosses out Oregon's coronavirus restrictions “null and void” because she didn’t have her emergency orders approved by the Legislature following 28 days.

#366 2020-05-18 23:40:05

RobertDyck
Website

Today (Monday) there was one new case of COVID-19. Currently there are 26 active cases, of which 1 in hospital, and none in ICU. The patient who was in ICU has recovered, no recent deaths. We're almost done. Yet on Thursday the Premier extended the provincial state of emergency an additional 30 days.

Effective May 1st, restaurants are allowed to open outdoor patios, as long as they enforce the 6 foot distance. The Premier promised that restaurants would be allowed to open indoor seating June 1st. I know a couple that own a retail store in a mall, their mall just opened Friday. Yet the Premier extended the state of emergency?

#367 2020-05-19 07:29:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

Part of the issue with the virus is the state of mind that this is a joke. He thought the coronavirus was 'a fake crisis.' Then he contracted it.

A Florida man who thought the coronavirus was "a fake crisis" has changed his mind after he and his wife contracted COVID-19.

He is not alone in the areas that have had low case rates.... and why we should error with caution.

The first line response by all have saved lived while giving of there's as they perform what they see as duty...‘He gave his life to that hospital’: A doctor put off retirement to fight covid-19, only to die of the virus and for the surviving  ‘I’m A Doctor Who Got COVID-19—And It Changed The Way I Do My Job'

The duration and effects are all over the board for the disease as Coronavirus News: Queens restaurant worker released after 53 days in hospital

The age of the surviving also has been much the same for how old some are that make it through its effects of the disease.

What did we know and when Taiwan Says It Tried to Warn the World About Coronavirus. Here’s What It Really Knew and When

When they heard about patients falling sick with a mysterious pneumonia in the Chinese city of Wuhan on Dec. 31 2019, Taiwan’s health officials fired off an email to the World Health Organization asking for more information.

Hope for a different future CDC Unveils New Antibody Study as National Testing Nearly Doubles
Scientists in China believe new drug can stop pandemic 'without vaccine'

#368 2020-05-19 16:41:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

All states will be partially reopened by Wednesday despite at least 17 seeing coronavirus case rates rise

"We'll see whether people feel comfortable going back to restaurants. Maybe there will be more takeout. The world will change."

Most are just doing the eat out at the site while others are closed for inside eating and just doing take out.

Many businesses are going through the individual states regulations for opening of which some have no restrictions masked or not for the state or business. Its hard to know how to go about life when you might be breaking the law....the wild west in Wisconson where the governor which wants to save lives is being over ruled...

Nine models were used in the ensemble forecast. Even as the state eases into reopening its economy, public health officials reported Tuesday that the death toll from the coronavirus outbreak had risen by 76 cases to 5,938, and a new forecast from the University of Massachusetts Amherst predicted the toll would rise to more than 8,100 in the next four weeks.

Some have tested positive for COVID-19 after recovering. What does that mean?

At least 14 sailors aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt who had recovered from COVID-19 have tested positive for a second time, raising questions about immunity and whether people can catch the coronavirus shortly after getting better.

The type of test Is being blamed for detecting pieces of the virus RNA....

#369 2020-05-20 16:57:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Wow what a connection as  Ohio officials declare racism a public health crisis 'highlighted' by COVID-19

The resolution declares that the "disparity is highlighted" by county coronavirus data showing black residents are hospitalized at twice the rate of other demographic groups.

"Racism has been a pandemic long before the current coronavirus pandemic,"

Data in other states have also shown the same.

We are opening and for the most part the states are responding A new high for coronavirus deaths in California as counties push ahead with reopening

While the death count continues to rise, other metrics show significant progress, enough that even some of the most cautious local health officials have agreed to begin slowly reopening businesses and public spaces.

White House’s Own Data Crunchers: Southern Counties About to Get Hit Hard

This will also show in a week or two for the wild west show states not using masks or social distancing...

Woman Tests Positive for COVID-19 Eight Times in 50 Days most of her symptoms are gone, but some still seem to be lingering. "I still to this day have shortness of breath.

Basically virus levels are detected by the test and since its been 2 weeks after getting the first there seems to be no immunity for some.
Others with similar stories of lasting effects of the virus have been in contact with the individual and is awaiting doing another test soon.

#370 2020-05-20 18:10:06

louis

Ohio officials won't declare obesity a public health crisis - despite the clear connection with Covid deaths. Why people become obese in modern society may relate to poverty and poverty may have some grounding in racism but obesity is the proximate cause of most of the deaths. Of course there is a strong relationship between obesity and diseases like diabetes 2 which are also incredibly high risk factors during Covid infection.

Making "racism" responsible for Covid deaths is the very definition of "Fake News". 

In terms of "race", probably on a global scale, white Europeans and Americans are most impacted by the disease it seems. The disease has virtually no impact in the Far East among Chinese and Japanese populations. Doesn't seem to have much impact in India or Africa either.

SpaceNut wrote:

Wow what a connection as  Ohio officials declare racism a public health crisis 'highlighted' by COVID-19

The resolution declares that the "disparity is highlighted" by county coronavirus data showing black residents are hospitalized at twice the rate of other demographic groups.

"Racism has been a pandemic long before the current coronavirus pandemic,"

Data in other states have also shown the same.

We are opening and for the most part the states are responding A new high for coronavirus deaths in California as counties push ahead with reopening

While the death count continues to rise, other metrics show significant progress, enough that even some of the most cautious local health officials have agreed to begin slowly reopening businesses and public spaces.

White House’s Own Data Crunchers: Southern Counties About to Get Hit Hard

This will also show in a week or two for the wild west show states not using masks or social distancing...

Woman Tests Positive for COVID-19 Eight Times in 50 Days most of her symptoms are gone, but some still seem to be lingering. "I still to this day have shortness of breath.

Basically virus levels are detected by the test and since its been 2 weeks after getting the first there seems to be no immunity for some.
Others with similar stories of lasting effects of the virus have been in contact with the individual and is awaiting doing another test soon.

#371 2020-05-21 15:41:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes that article was a bit much.... Happy opening up without any safety concerns not happening as
COVID-19 spreading through Southern, Midwestern states as the coronavirus pandemic continues its deadly march through rural counties and small towns across the country.

US coronavirus testing is 'a mess,' report says the United States is disorganized and needs coordination at the national level.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/sites/defaul … -part3.pdf

Leading by example was Trump doesn't wear coronavirus mask to Ford plant, after being told he should since Ford has shutdown 3 times since trying to reopen their plants.

Food security seems to be an issue in large plants to produce or process it as Nearly 600 workers test positive for COVID-19 at North Carolina Tyson chicken processing plant

The Tyson facility, which employs roughly 2,000 workers from Texas and Louisiana, has been linked to 56 cases of COVID-19, 33 of whom are Shelby County residents.

Getting a nation to herd immunity may not have worked out all that well as Sweden nowhere near herd immunity even though it adopted more relaxed measures during pandemic; Only 7.3 percent of people in Stockholm had developed the antibodies for COVID-19 by late April.

Even 10 times that might not be enough....

BB14ppGL.img?h=583&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

#372 2020-05-21 16:58:25

Void

Time to add some things.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/201 … wiped-flu/
Quote:

How Neanderthals stopped humans being wiped out by flu

https://answersingenesis.org/genetics/d … tolerance/
Quote:

Denisovan Gene Gave Tibetans Their High-Altitude Tolerance

So, be a little careful about only using the "Blank Slate", to explain all reality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blank_Slate

To cover my butt, first, some Africans have some Neanderthal I believe.  Just not as much as the average European.

To cover my butt a bit more, there are two places where average women have trouble giving birth.  Both high altitude.  Tibet, Bolivia.

There are talents in each sub-gene pool.  It is not all about cultural behaviors.  But some will be shown to be.

Done

Last edited by Void (2020-05-21 17:07:55)

Done.

#373 2020-05-21 21:34:57

RobertDyck
Website

Statistics for Manitoba effective 1:07pm today: 18 active casts, including 1 in hospital, none in intensive care. Friday was the 5th day with absolutely no new cases. Monday saw one new case identified. No new casts since.

Met a friend for wine and bread today. Outdoor patios were allowed to open May 1st. Premier of Manitoba promised that if stats are good, indoor restaurant seating would be allowed June 1st. Today he said indoor restaurant seating would be opened "sooner" than previous promised. Uh huh; there's only 9 days left to end of this month. Is he going to permit that this Monday? One week early?

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump demands the border between Canada and US be fully opened. Status for North Dakota: total state population 762,062 as of 2019. Population of Manitoba as of end of this March: 1,377,517. Total number of active cases in North Dakota: 838. Total deaths 51.

#374 2020-05-22 03:16:39

Terraformer
Website

Antibodies have been found in 17% of Londoners and 5% of those in the rest of the UK. Assuming this means they're immune (and if they aren't, then we can drop the vaccine research), we have some room for re-opening. If you're immune, you should be able to go an visit people, including the self-isolating vulnerable, since you (presumably) can't get it from them or transmit it to them.

Given that Morecambe Bay is supposedly one of the hardest hit parts of the country, immunity should be far greater than 5% around here. We'll see.

EDIT: The UK is on 250k confirmed cases and 36k deaths. If the sample is representative, actual cases are on ~3.4 million, a massive (13-14 fold) undercount. This would, however, fit with a case fatality rate of ~1%.

Last edited by Terraformer (2020-05-22 03:26:07)

Use what is abundant and build to last

#375 2020-05-22 17:00:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

The percentage of people that show no symptom is around 35%, which only show with testing. That said that those that have died also without testing can not be confirmed as having the virus as those symptoms are as well covered by other diseases.
Sounds to me that in order to get accurate data we need testing.

Board footer