New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2020-03-26 16:54:10

Grypd

Re: Bigelow and evolving situations of reality.

I don't think Space X is a good fit for Bigelow what is though is Blue origin they are interested in Oneil type colonies

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#27 2020-03-26 18:14:51

louis

True, might be a better fit although I am sure space-rated Bigelow units could be used on the Mars surface.

I don't think Musk has ever mentioned Bigelow in relation to his plans, which suggests to me is already working on Space X habs for the mission.  I guess they are so mission-critical, he wouldn't want to be dependent on another firm for them.

Grypd wrote:

I don't think Space X is a good fit for Bigelow what is though is Blue origin they are interested in Oneil type colonies

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#28 2020-03-26 18:26:07

Oldfart1939

Louis-
I seriously doubt that SX is working on habitats. They would be getting spread way to thin financially to do so. Out of Elon's own mouth: "we are a transportation company." Bigelow seems to be a viable option to pursue, however.

#29 2020-03-27 03:46:23

Mark Friedenbach

Oldfart1939 wrote:

Louis-
I seriously doubt that SX is working on habitats. They would be getting spread way to thin financially to do so. Out of Elon's own mouth: "we are a transportation company." Bigelow seems to be a viable option to pursue, however.

SpaceX isn't working on habitats, as far as I know, but they should be. Sending full Starships to Mars and back is ludicrous. If you're going to send that much mass, keep it there. Makes far more sense to launch Bigelow or Mars Direct style habitats in the payload bay of a Starship, then stage those somewhere in cislunar space for a caravan journey every 2 years. Use just one starship to carry people and cargo back. Launch needs are going to be asymmetric for a very long time.

#30 2020-03-27 07:47:24

louis

For Mission One, I think the intention is to return only one Starship to Earth.

Looking to the future, I think something like your suggestion would be sensible.

Mark Friedenbach wrote:
Oldfart1939 wrote:

Louis-

SpaceX isn't working on habitats, as far as I know, but they should be. Sending full Starships to Mars and back is ludicrous. If you're going to send that much mass, keep it there. Makes far more sense to launch Bigelow or Mars Direct style habitats in the payload bay of a Starship, then stage those somewhere in cislunar space for a caravan journey every 2 years. Use just one starship to carry people and cargo back. Launch needs are going to be asymmetric for a very long time.

#31 2020-03-27 14:14:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

Of all the reasons for Bigelow product to be promoted is that its mass is a reducing feature for use for mars. Making a central core where people can reside inside for a short transition from from earth to mars and on its way to the surface gives people the extra room to be able to not get cabin fever while in its collapsed form.
The surface of mars requires a lander base for the inflateable to ride to the surface inside some sort of shell, fairing ect. to protect it until its ready for use. Once on the surface a base plate is extended to grow under the base of the unit so that when it gets larger in diameter that its got a hard surface to support the on goings inside of the space one being occupied.

#32 2020-03-27 17:46:34

louis

There's no shortage of space in a Starship. People have survived much longer stays on the cramped ISS. A Starship can also house substantial inflatable structures on the Bigelow model.

But my gut feeling is that Musk is think along different lines...maybe easily assembled cylinder-shaped habs with internal partitioning?

SpaceNut wrote:

Of all the reasons for Bigelow product to be promoted is that its mass is a reducing feature for use for mars. Making a central core where people can reside inside for a short transition from from earth to mars and on its way to the surface gives people the extra room to be able to not get cabin fever while in its collapsed form.
The surface of mars requires a lander base for the inflateable to ride to the surface inside some sort of shell, fairing ect. to protect it until its ready for use. Once on the surface a base plate is extended to grow under the base of the unit so that when it gets larger in diameter that its got a hard surface to support the on goings inside of the space one being occupied.

#33 2020-03-27 19:09:42

Grypd

Bigelow habs are not for short term accommodation they are actually more resistant than the current ISS hab structures. If we are serious about space we need to utilise Near Earth space as well as the Moon and of course the Asteroid belt and Mars.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view … &eim=1,2,6

Look we can do this

Last edited by Grypd (2020-03-27 19:10:26)

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

Board footer