New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-02-09 18:14:27

louis

Art and psychological good health on Mars...

There are many aspects to making Mars an attractive home for humans before we terraform the whole planet.  These include interesting employment, high quality and interesting food, great opportunities for sport, leisure and exercise, regular excursions exploring the landscape and the creation of Earth-like-environments e.g. through covered gorges (natural or artificial) with lots of Earth flora and possibly fauna as well. All these will encourage good mental health ie feelings of harmony and engagement with the world about you.

Another aspect is art.

Mars needs more than a functional environment, it needs an entertaining and engaging visual environment that humans can respond to.  I imagine some of  the following might be important in creating that inspiring visual environment:

1. Internally, plenty of paintings on display. Many might come from Earth initially.  Gradually though Mars-produced visual art could be added.

2. Video displays.  These can be art installations or they could be direct video from outside the habitats showing the surrounding Mars landscape in real time.

3.  Small figurines and sculptures indoors.

4. Dedicated art galleries within the hab areas.

5. Sculpture parks.  These could be partly within pressurised domes but also, importantly, outside as free standing sculptures. These could in some cases be very large.

6.  Memorial stones and the like to mark the development of the community. So you might have the names of original and subsequent pioneers engraved on a rock face with the date of their arrival and departure.

7.  Creation of a Mars outdoors museum - showing the original Starships that brought humans to Mars, original habitats and original transport vehicles. These will look fantastic lit up night.

8.  Use of carefully constructed pressurised environments in transparent habs where trees and other vegetation are grown and can be seen from the main hab areas. These can be supplemented by artificial trees and grassed areas. I am thinking that when people look out from the main habs they shouldn't just see Mars's rather desolate, albeit beautiful,  landscape but also a promise of Mars's terraformation into a much more Earth-like planet.

Art will also have a commercial aspect on Mars. I have no doubt that wealthy artists on Earth will want to be among  the first to create art on Mars. With payment to Space X, they will be able to create sculptures on Mars (e.g. using 3D printers) or they will be able to send through designs for pictures to be created on Mars.  If Space X took a 50% share in the ownership of these works of arts it would be useful collateral. I would market it as "The First One Hundred - The Art of Mars". Damien Hirst's net worth is valued at £250 million. Why wouldn't he want to be among the first to create an art work on Mars? Then there is the question of whether Earth-based artists (or their estates) will want to send art works to Mars. If the Starship can be seen to be super-reliable then Mars may well find that representatives on Earth want to send some art works to Mars - this is (a) an insurance policy, ensuring that whatever happens on Earth, the art continues to exist elsewhere in the solar system and (b) ensures that their art legacy will have continued life on this new planet of Mars, which will mean future Mars citizens, in the thousands, then millions and ulitmately billions will "buy in" to the idea that this is part of their heritage and so will become "consumers" of the images ie paying customers.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2020-02-09 20:13:57

tahanson43206

Re: Art and psychological good health on Mars...

For Louis ... Thanks for creating this interesting new topic.  I hope it does well with the existing forum membership.

Potentially, it might inspire a member or two who has been waiting for the right topic to pitch in.

Along this line ... I have a relative who spent a lifetime in the classical music field.  In conversation, the subject of opera came up with respect to Mars. The relative was offended by the thought that an opera singer might not be valued on Mars.  I was thinking of the early years, when (it seemed to me) live music at that level would be a luxury on Mars, but perhaps a way might be found to include it early on.

Your list did not include theater, or if it did I missed it, so I hope you'll expand your vision to include some of the many kinds of theater that exist on Earth today.

(th)

#3 2020-02-10 06:06:04

louis

I can imagine live music provided on an amateur basis will be important.  Opera singers can perform well with just piano accompaniment.  I doubt a Mars settlement would be able to devote huge resources to producing  opera to a La Scala standard. Likewise, live theatre can be pretty resouce intensive. I imagine there would be some amateur dramatic society emerging fairly early, along with an amateur dance studio. I am sure a well appointed cinema would be created fairly early on and I suspect that films featuring people roaming around wide open spaces would be popular. smile

I would personally oppose piped music - that always feels like an invasion of people's headspace. I guess a lot of people will have their headphones in listening to music while performing tasks like tending plants.

That makes me think about the culture of everyday interaction on Mars (would people be going around with headphones in all the time, like people on the tube/subway). I noticed watching video of someone moving around Mc Murdo base on Antarctica there didn't seem to be much interaction between people - they actually walked past each other without a hi or hello or even it seemed a nod, which seems odd in such a small community.

I don't think you can legislate for how people interact but I guess those occupying more senior management positions can set an example.

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Louis ... Thanks for creating this interesting new topic.  I hope it does well with the existing forum membership.

Potentially, it might inspire a member or two who has been waiting for the right topic to pitch in.

Along this line ... I have a relative who spent a lifetime in the classical music field.  In conversation, the subject of opera came up with respect to Mars. The relative was offended by the thought that an opera singer might not be valued on Mars.  I was thinking of the early years, when (it seemed to me) live music at that level would be a luxury on Mars, but perhaps a way might be found to include it early on.

Your list did not include theater, or if it did I missed it, so I hope you'll expand your vision to include some of the many kinds of theater that exist on Earth today.

(th)

Last edited by louis (2020-02-10 06:07:10)

#4 2020-02-10 07:44:23

Calliban

I like Louis' idea of stone carving.  Within a Mars habitat, there would presumably be no weathering and carvings and sculptures made from natural stone should last practically forever.  What an excellent national pastime that would be.

If Mars settlements end up being built under weighted sheets of ETFE, then beneath that canopy we can ultimately build to any architectural style we choose.  It could be traditional thatched English cottages, Italian hill towns, North African and Middle Eastern adobe, etc.

I like the idea of compact, pedestrian medina type settlements.  These would not need to be rain resistant, given that we can control where water goes within the habitat.  Without the problem of rain, buildings can be constructed from dried clay and natural stone, with flat rooftops where people could sit and eat their meals and enjoy morning coffee with a view over the town.

I am no fan of Damien Hirst.  Personally, I think Mars cows will be too precious for that fool to start sawing them in half.

Last edited by Calliban (2020-02-10 07:45:25)

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#5 2020-02-10 14:37:49

louis

The Mars settlement could also borrow ideas from Las Vegas and create fantasy environments. There's a nice cafe in London I sometimes meet friends at - it has a great view over the rooftops of West London. Restaurants on Mars might have such vistas recreated - so you can feel as if you are dining in the centre of Paris or Rome or Washington or Moscow etc.

Calliban wrote:

I like Louis' idea of stone carving.  Within a Mars habitat, there would presumably be no weathering and carvings and sculptures made from natural stone should last practically forever.  What an excellent national pastime that would be.

If Mars settlements end up being built under weighted sheets of ETFE, then beneath that canopy we can ultimately build to any architectural style we choose.  It could be traditional thatched English cottages, Italian hill towns, North African and Middle Eastern adobe, etc.

I like the idea of compact, pedestrian medina type settlements.  These would not need to be rain resistant, given that we can control where water goes within the habitat.  Without the problem of rain, buildings can be constructed from dried clay and natural stone, with flat rooftops where people could sit and eat their meals and enjoy morning coffee with a view over the town.

I am no fan of Damien Hirst.  Personally, I think Mars cows will be too precious for that fool to start sawing them in half.

#6 2022-06-09 10:37:03

Mars_B4_Moon

After adding discussion and updating the 'AI' thread with news and ideas I'm of the Opinion A.I will produce 10% of the Art on Mars or outer space colonies

How to do TikTok’s wallpaper art trend as AI-generated painting takes over
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/12/t … per-trend/

AI Can Now Produce Better Art Than Humans. Here's How.
https://futurism.com/ai-now-produce-bet … -heres-how

Building a simple music audio speaker for Mars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTkzxfIX4EY

Introducing GTGraffiti: The robot that paints like a human
https://techxplore.com/news/2022-06-gtg … human.html

A New AI Can Write Music as Well as a Human Composer
https://futurism.com/a-new-ai-can-write … n-composer

This however in time could lead to a cultural backlash for sculpture and music that is more authentic and organic

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-06-14 19:09:48)

#7 2022-06-09 10:44:53

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon re #6

Thanks for this set of links in support of Louis' topic ...

Your closing line caught my attention ....

The owner of an AI that can produce art for a human audience will (it seems to me) have a financial incentive to identify the program and sell products by that entity.

Meanwhile, organic creators of art will be competing in the same market place.

By the time a piece of art is rendered it is "natural" in that it exists as a real object in the Real Universe, or as a repeatable pattern of sound or light waves.

An AI artist that succeeds in touching the feelings of human beings deserves to receive whatever accolades are on offer.  It is the owner of the AI who must manage the asset.

(th)

#8 2022-08-14 02:41:56

Mars_B4_Moon

It might only be a matter of time before some church invests in A.I made 'Art'

I am not a fan of religion but maybe I am not Atheist either, maybe I can be Agnostic. We might also consider that religion gives some people a guide when in a spiritual void in the human life. There are many songs of religion, stories within religions, they have sculpture and paintings and art, they have many different ideas and monuments which inspired past peoples, the have poems and gospel groups that get together socially and begin singing.

Some stories might not truly be religious but of European, Asian, North American folklore, something from Ancient Greece in NewYork or London, the "Raft of the Medusa," at the Louvre in Pairs France, older culture like the Native American and Aboriginal people of Australia had their own art to give them comfort and guidance, there might have been a religious element to some art, there was a re-brith of 'Art' in Europe that would spread influence to North America. Greco-Roman mythology in art,  inspiration for designs as far away as Asia and Arabia, and the America's itself already had its own culture, Mesoamerica pre-Columbian societies. Machu Picchu Mysteries and the Incas, in contrast to the Maya, had no written language, and no European visited the site until the 19th century, so far as is known. There are, therefore, no written records of the amazing site and building site while it was in use. We put together old pieces of a puzzle, the names of the buildings, their supposed uses, and their inhabitants are all the product of modern archeologists, on the basis of physical evidence, including tombs at the site.  Art of Mathura refers to a particular school of Indian art, almost entirely surviving in the form of sculpture, starting in the 2nd century BCE, which centered on the city of Mathura, in central northern India, during a period in which Buddhism, Jainism together with Hinduism flourished in India. Religion was a dominant force in art, you had religion paintings like The Angelus by Millet a couple perhaps praying for poor departed but maybe also a prayer for a harvest and the painting gives strong impressionist colors, Virgin of the Rocks by Leonardo Da Vinci, Disputation Over the Most Holy Sacrament by Raphael wonder of art from the Renaissance period. Shinto or Shintoism the religion that originated in Japan an East Asian religion it had Influence on Japanese Art, the old superstitutions, pagan ways and Shinto the Way of the Gods still has influence on Japanese film, video games and comicbooks. Some Churches from Asia to Europe to Arabia have also tried to put restriction on Art, Hindus can be offended, islamics the muslim people who once painted moohammad and later their attempts of banning art which leads to a restriction and them only creating carpet style designs, the groups Christians who were offended by art that was impure or sinful, within the Orthodox Jewish community the concept was debated as there is little precedent in traditional Jewish legal textual sources. Bamiyan Buddhas the world's tallest Buddhas - but were almost lost forever when the Taliban blew them up. In the South Pole russian orthodoxy church, a Ukraine Orthodox church, a Chapel of Santa María Reina de la Paz Antarctica, Norwegian Anglican Church all with their Art inside.

Yes it seems muslims have painted moohammad
https://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_ima … c_mo_full/

A Buddhist culture might have art, a Hindu people have their sculted and painted art, a Christian household may have collection of old Renaissance era wonders of art.

Perhaps religion have comfort because the South Pole was an unknown. Religion seems to be less in the South Pole today.

However far more creative places seem to be the old school Music Rooms and Art Rooms of the South Polar Stations.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-08-14 08:47:55)

#9 2022-09-02 08:39:36

Mars_B4_Moon

An AI-generated artwork’s state fair victory fuels arguments over ‘what art is’
https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/1/23332 … n-colorado

Pixel art comes to life: Fan upgrades classic MS-DOS games with AI
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/09/ … s-with-ai/

What This Drawing Taught Me About Four-Dimensional Spacetime
https://nautil.us/what-this-drawing-tau … time-5950/
Stuck in his research, a cosmologist finds a hint in an intricate drawing.

Board footer