New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2020-02-08 09:51:32

tahanson43206

Housekeeping

For SpaceNut

There are 8 pages of items in this category (Meta New Mars)

I looked at several pages before deciding to start this new topic.

Hopefully, as other forum members find old posts that were damaged during the "Great Fail" of dim Forum history, they will report them here so you can work on them as you have time.

Today I found this:

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 180#p74180

I had entered a search for Radio and Astronomy, and got many interesting posts back but none showed up specifically dedicated to Radio Astronomy.

For that reason, I'll be creating a new dedicated topic in the Science category.

(th)

#2 2020-02-08 09:58:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Housekeeping

At the time of the crash there were over 5000 topics and most were near the 300 post limit in each. The old software would crash a topic and would be locked and a new one had to be started to keep it from happening.
The link of the topic should probably moved to unmanned but I can only give so much time to exploring when we creat a new topic every time we turn around rather than searching for a bit. There is an advance search in google that can find stuff that our search enginge can not.

#3 2020-02-08 10:06:54

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re housekeeping and specifically repair of old damaged topics and posts ...

Why are you trying to do all this repair work yourself?

Are there no Moderators with the appropriate skills and interests to help?

I recognize that we have some members who create new topics out of thin air without searching the archive.

However, I have been careful to search (within the limits of the FluxBB search engine) to try to avoid creating new topics if they already exist.

I am (reasonably) confident you will find no topic dedicated to reporting posts that need repair.

Furthermore, I am (reasonably) confident you will find no topic dedicated to Radio Astronomy on Mars.

What you ** will ** find are lots of posts and even topics that are set up for some other focus, and which inadvertently include citations or information that relate to the theme of the new topics.

(th)

#4 2020-02-08 10:22:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

I just finished that topics fix and from what I remember with regards to fixing topics was that the level of moderator can fix all but posts labeled admin level. Posts in a topic typically before 2006 are the ones which can have the defects within them if you made use of the color, quote, bold, italic ect functions in there mark ups. They were setup to hold a profile post plus ranking number which was removed in the more up to date versions of software. Its that addition tagging which is causing the issue.

#5 2020-02-08 10:34:23

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re work load plus new item for a topic not found ...

The NewMars forum continues to attract ** really ** interesting content by member authors.

I suspect that is happening to a large extent due to the leadership you have shown over the time I've been here, and as shown in the archive going back a number of years.

However, I get the impression there could be opportunities for you to develop helpers, even if they lack the special powers you have earned due to your service.

I ran across a book title today, and thought it might be interesting to some members, particularly those who take a long view of human history in light of considerations for design of a culture for Mars.

I looked for "Book" and got forty pages of results.

If you know of a suitable pre-existing topic, please put it there.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/do-c … ket-newtab

The book was (apparently) published in 2017, and the author takes on earlier writings and especially media presentations, which he appears to think are often sensationalized with the unfortunate consequence that the minds of the population who encounter these presentations are left with partial understanding of what happened at best, and completely incorrect understanding at worst.

(th)

Board footer