New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#176 2004-04-27 18:13:18

Trebuchet
Banned

Re: Food! - Marsians=vegetarians?

Barley. Hops. Unfiltered beer. There's vitamins created in the fermentation process which is removed from beers nowadays for reasons of look/storage. I suppose sugar beets would make the trip too.

As far as the animals go, aquaculture is nice. If some sort of sea salt substitute could be could be cooked up, fish farming would definitely be the way to go, as they're not very wasteful for food. Salmon, cod... mmm.

And as for land animals, perhaps dwarf strains could be bred on Earth from the calmer breeds of cattle and so forth. Such a breed would be easier to transport, and regression to the mean, or Martian cattle ranchers, would return them to a larger size later. I would definitely bring chickens, though. Probably turkeys as well, and ducks can hang out in the fish farm domes.

#177 2004-04-28 09:28:18

C M Edwards

Closed Environment Life Support Systems are mentioned fairly consistently whenever we've post regarding greenhouses.  That's logical, since CELSS requires a greenhouse.  But greenhouses don't require CELSS.

Are there any advantages to skipping CELSS development and just sending a greenhouse?

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#178 2004-04-28 13:23:32

Rxke

CELSS could be functioning en-route, supplying crew with food, atmosphere recycling etc... Potentially reducing launch weight...

Of course, once on Mars, CELSS aren't necc.: just "pump" in atmosphere, energy, trace and bulk elements... from 'the land'

#179 2004-04-28 14:02:40

C M Edwards

True, a CELSS could function en route if the time were taken to set it up after launch and if the materials to keep it running were brought along, but it seems more practical to wait until you get to Mars to start the greenhouse.

If so, why would you need CELSS?

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#180 2004-04-28 23:16:34

RobS
Banned
Website

Regarding Martian kangaroos: I assume baby roos are rather uncoordinated, like other mammals, hopping into things and falling over? If so, that means hopping is not just instinctive, but has a large learned component. And that means they should be able to adapt to 0.38 g.

How about ostriches on Mars? The meat's very good and low in fat.

-- RobS

#181 2004-06-04 16:34:34

DonPanic
Website

LO
In the spaceship to Mars as well as for the first colony, there could be this type of water piped bioreactors,
divided in small units to be controled easily,
up to grow cyanobacterias or algas, shrimps, fishes,
that could also recycle team's wastes and air.
Carrying fish and shrimp eggs should be light and easy.

ponic.gif

The spaceship could also carry inflatable sets of greenhouses,
much lighter than concrete ones.

#182 2004-06-22 04:57:54

mugshot
Banned

Having invented a hydroponic growing system and still looking to market the idea
Mars could well be a good place to try it out.

Food and fish could be grown in the same enviroment
fish living and growing in the nutrient resouvior also providing nutirent for the plants

Guppyponics is already proven to work

with a closed system which this is.
able to work in outerspace and in a low gravity enviroment.

food could be growing on the way out there

so if anbody knows who to point this at for further interest
would be much appreciated.

This is serious dont wish to spam board can give further info to interested parties.

#183 2004-06-22 08:59:11

dicktice

DonPanic, I just can't resist asking: Wherever did you get the idea, in your closing remark, of comparing your lightweight bioreactor proposal with "concrete ones" in the spaceship to Mars? I never heard of concrete being recommended for anything in space--not once.

#184 2004-06-22 09:56:08

Rxke

Mugshot, if you're *really* serious, I'd suggest you try to contact Bigelow (Aerospace.)

He's planning fairly large orbital hotels, already quite advanced with his plans, using inflatable habs etc...
Problem: it will be zero-g, mainly, not low-g...

He's an entrepeneur, with a dream, but likes to stay 'behind the scenes', valueing his privacy... So it might be tricky to get a contact.

#185 2004-06-23 12:51:23

MarsDog

Martians will be Wormarians;
Earthworms are useful in loosening the soil, and adapted for Mars,
Marsworms, fried, boiled or raw, at the local MarsDonalds.

#186 2015-11-26 21:49:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed shifting on all pages and artifacts all but for the ones requiring admin level...

Topic has been anything but about being a vegitarian on mars it has discussed husbandry of all sorts of animals to bring as a protien source as well as all sorts of food crops to grow once there.

Got real hungry reading the posts...

#187 2020-01-26 20:48:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

The key to eating from the mars greenhouse is to know what can be made from the ingrediences which we are growing.
Sure we are going to have a variety of crops but its the timing of them for the meal to be made that is the issue.
There is a title of eat like a martian also in the forim that I remember.
So I think it might be a recipe away for what we will eat daily once we are growing food.

#188 2020-01-27 06:34:38

Terraformer
Website

If they grow grass, we can raise dairy sheep. The milk is very fatty, so the yield for producing cheese far higher than for goats or cows milk.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#189 2020-01-27 11:01:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Not going to be any animal husbandry for quite a while with the fears of diseases being carried by them.

#190 2020-01-28 16:48:13

elderflower

When there are animals they will probably start with birds to make eggs and/or fish, molluscs, or crustaceans. All of  the latter are cold blooded, so much more efficient in converting food into meat. Mammals, other than people, will be way down the list. I don't suppose that cannibalism will be an option except under the most extreme circumstances.

#191 2020-01-29 02:34:46

Terraformer
Website

On the other hand, raising several generations of sheep *would* give us critical information we need before any humans attempt to have children. We might as well pick a dairy breed, so we get some milk.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#192 2020-01-31 16:02:35

* R O B O T *

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but after the initial setup period the colonists could begin to grow cultured meat. To quote Wikipedia:

Cultured meat is meat produced by in vitro cell culture of animal cells, instead of from slaughtered animals.

In other words, meat grown from cells in a vat. This way, the colonists don't have to actually bring any animals with them, but can still have meat in their diets. This is in my opinion the best solution.

“All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once.” - Terry Pratchett

#193 2020-01-31 17:30:06

louis

Not sure the technology is really there yet for cultured meat, though it's well on the way to being developed. Currently I prefer the Impossible Burger approach of replicating all aspects of the meat experience (taste, consistency, protein, fat, blood content, cooking characteristics etc) through sourcing from vegetables. Reviews suggest it is very close to the meat burger experience.

* R O B O T * wrote:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but after the initial setup period the colonists could begin to grow cultured meat. To quote Wikipedia:

Cultured meat is meat produced by in vitro cell culture of animal cells, instead of from slaughtered animals.

In other words, meat grown from cells in a vat. This way, the colonists don't have to actually bring any animals with them, but can still have meat in their diets. This is in my opinion the best solution.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#194 2020-01-31 19:10:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

No need when you can have the impossible burger and sausage for meat tasting foods.

So with the latest in medical advances of flesh for human repair of the heart and other places should we get confused and grow the wrong type of flesh to eat?

#195 2020-01-31 19:37:45

louis

That's an interesting moral issue.  No doubt lots of people would like the frisson of tasting human flesh if they knew no human being was involved in its creation...taste with none of the bad ethics. But should society allow it?

SpaceNut wrote:

No need when you can have the impossible burger and sausage for meat tasting foods.

So with the latest in medical advances of flesh for human repair of the heart and other places should we get confused and grow the wrong type of flesh to eat?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#196 2020-01-31 19:47:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

The real question would how would you tell if all you have is the corrupt words of another for what it really is. We know with some certainty where the meat comes from which we eat but would the test tube meat be so certain?

edit repost from medical

#197 2020-01-31 23:23:30

kbd512
Administrator

As someone who is not a vegetarian and never will be, I could care less if our animal lovers want us to eat an equivalent cultured meat product so long as it has the same taste, consistency, etc.  In point of fact, I only see this as a good thing.  It's another gift to humanity from science.  I have no idea why people would get wrapped around the axle over this one.  Nobody tries to make bacon taste like tofu, for example.  It's always the other way around.  We can eat our favorite foods, quite possibly for less money (less energy input, ultimately) and for less chance of animal-to-human disease, and the product can be 100% consistent in the same way that chickens and potatoes supplied to Mickey D's are grown in such a way as to provide consistent taste and texture from sample to sample.  If this does away with the asinine argument for why we can't eat meat, then I will cheerfully support it.

When children in Sub-Saharan Africa can be fed the way we would feed heads of state, I consider that to be a good thing.  Any notion of implementing the practice of cannibalism, with or without cultured meat, seems pretty disgusting to me.  There is such a thing as taking science too far or for dubious purposes.

#198 2020-02-11 12:51:35

elderflower

Cannibalism brings all sorts of risks with pathogens and parasites. Another human is a great way to culture such things so consuming them is not smart!

#199 2020-02-11 16:49:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

Every living creater has the potential to carry pathogens and parasites these days even with careful care to vacinate and given antibiotics they still can come down sick needing the entire hurds disposed of.

#200 2020-02-14 15:43:44

Ancient Mars

SpaceNut wrote:

Every living creater has the potential to carry pathogens and parasites these days even with careful care to vacinate and given antibiotics they still can come down sick needing the entire hurds disposed of.

That's one great reason not to bring animals to Mars, at least not initially.
Besides, being vegetarian isn't all that bad noways. If your hungry for meat, you can always go cook up the Impossible Burger.
As an added benefit, it's way less wasteful to be plant based. For every 1 calorie of beef you get from a cow, you have to feed that same cow approximately 8 calories of food. Meat isn't evil, but it definitely isn't the most efficient form of food, and I doubt it will be a luxury that the future Martian people will be able to afford any time soon.

Edit: I forgot to mention fish as an exception. If aquaponics ends up being used to grow food on Mars, than the colonists will get fish to eat, since fish are an integral part of aquaponics and you may as well eat them if you've got them.

Last edited by Ancient Mars (2020-02-14 15:48:03)

Board footer