New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-01-05 16:48:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

Tools not co2 air based more like hand or battery

I was looking for a general tool topic but we only had the Dry ice pneumatic tool

we have talked  about making them when possible for hand tools from a 3D printer but that means something special that we can not do without as that uses up the initial resources for the printer to make something we might not be able to bring along with us.

This is a portable for outside use application.
image_23522.jpg

This is just many types of tools that we might bring for the ability to fix what breaks if possible.

If this is not high enough for power and the outside does not have power where we are maybe this might be closer to the size we might need.

63585_zzz_500.jpg

The first martians will need lots of resources but we may not be able to take everything that we would want but universal items make for a good means to start.

#2 2020-01-05 18:11:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Tools not co2 air based more like hand or battery

One issue or two for battery powered tools is the compatibility of the battery but also of the battery again. The voltage and ampere hour for the tool to work but the means to connect it to the tools are sort of propietary from one manufacturer to the next.
No matter where you go to buy them the vendors are not always equal with the ability.
Next up you guessed it once you do settle on a brand you will need extra batteries and chargers as they never quite finish the job that you are doing...no matter what brand you like the best.

#3 2020-01-05 19:01:58

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

I think combining light weight CNT wiring with much larger batteries, such as backpack or vehicle batteries, are better options.  Husqvarna makes a backpack battery to enable the user to have a comparatively lighter power tool in hand, with the weight of a much larger battery supported by the hips and shoulders, than what could be comfortably carried in the hands.  Your complaint, same as many others, was based upon battery capacity.  Someone devised a fix for that.  You can pretty much power one of their tools all day using their backpack.  If someone is going to be working on a construction site, the individual tools will be a lot lighter and simpler with an electrical connection to a real battery.

#4 2020-01-05 19:23:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

Choice to locking into a particular brand... google brand info Husqvarna makes a backpack battery
h110-0394.ashx

The issue is for when working in a space suit its not going to be worn.
Or if you are that close to the rover batteries then an outlet with a long extesion cord is about all you need...

We will need flexibility to application....

#5 2020-01-05 20:37:35

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut and kbd512 ....

Thanks for showing this backpack battery ... I was unaware that the Capitalist System had come up with a solution to the perennial out-of-juice problem I've faced, and which (I am guessing of course) thousands if not millions of others have faced.

SpaceNut ... the battery can (and no doubt WILL) be designed right into the suit!

kbd512, my homebuilt substitute is so large and bulky I have to tow it on a two wheeled cart!

Very nice design by a name I had not seen before today: Husqvarna(tm)

Edit: The price of the 36 volt backpack battery is considerably over my discretionary budget.  I'll have to keep trundling my two wheeled cart battery a while longer.  It provides 12 volts for tools that need that, or 24 volts for 19 volt tools that can handle the higher starting voltage.  it doesn't take long for voltage to drop under load.

(th)

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2020-01-05 22:39:38)

#6 2020-01-05 21:27:04

SpaceNut
Administrator

You would not want to take power from a space suit need but as an addition article included in the design we may start pushing the limits of mass that a man or woman could move around in.
The other part is the battery pack as you noted is not designed for the mars cold teperatures so that is another reason for making change to the concept pack.
We do have the mars cart topic in planetary pnly larger than a pull behind by a crew men which would be sort of the item to put the larger pack into.

#7 2020-01-05 23:25:07

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

I eventually became so fed up with tinkering with gas powered tools to get them to run properly that I switched to using the Husqvarna battery powered tools.  There's no practical benefit to gas anymore for home owners who don't also own lots of land.  They work great for me, their fast charger actually does what it says, and I've even seen a few commercial operations that use the battery powered saws.  If you use the saw correctly, it'll take apart anything short of a Redwood tree.  They're not painfully loud, either, though definitely not quiet.  These tools are the 98% solution for everyone else.  I haven't purchased a gas powered tool since reliable and durable electrical tools have become available and I can say without reservation that I've always done the job faster with battery or corded tools.  That said, I still use hand tools whenever I can.  My experience with using power tools is that being able to accomplish a job faster also means you can screw it up a lot faster if you're not careful or don't know what you're doing.  I exclusively use hand tools on engines, for example.  Maybe I'm just becoming a dinosaur who doesn't tolerate things that don't work well.

#8 2020-01-06 08:38:18

tahanson43206

For kbd512 re #7

Thanks for your positive review of the Husqvarna line of tools.  For some reason, surrounded by DeWalt and Sears and similar consumer grade brands, I had never heard of the company before. 

Google found this:

Husqvarna was founded in the year 1689, about 328 years from now in Huskvarna city in Sweden. It was a weapons factory which produced rifles and had around one thousand employees working for it initially. This company produced shotguns for about 300 years, lasting till 1989.

With a history like that I'm surprised I'd not heard of it.

I'm thinking of starting a new tools related topic which will be inspired by JoshNH4H and his vision of things that could be done with electron free iron atoms, if only there were a way to contain them.  I'd like to have a quiet tool that can perform precision severing of molecular bonds while avoiding damage to nuclei . That sets energy boundaries on the high end and probably on the low end.

I live in a dense urban setting, with occasional need to perform cuts of various kinds, so I have to wait for the middle of the work day when few residents are around to be annoyed.  A quiet tool would help << grin >>.

(th)

Board footer