New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2020-01-04 20:10:02

louis

MPT vehicle - Mars Personal Transport

I've been thinking about this more, following on recent focus on Mars economic issues. In the past I've been a bit sniffy about Mars personal transport vehicles - they certainly aren't a necessity  in terms of human settlement - but now think such vehicles could be pretty crucial to Mars economic development and also giving people a sense of freedom on Mars.

So I am thinking in terms of a what you might call an off road SUV type vehicle - or maybe cross between SUV and motorhome.

Some of the specs I am thinking about:

1.  4x4 drive. 4-6 person. Can act as a 2 person motor home - so seats flatten to become a bed.

2. Electric motor.

3. Range of about 200 miles.

4. Radiation protection for roof that extends beyond the vehicle body, so as to provide some protection from the front and sides as well.
Thicker doors than normal to provide additional radiation protection. 

5. Thick glass for windows.  Windows might only be at front.  Side "windows" could be real time computer screens showing view outside.

6.  Pressurised.

7. On board compressed air delivery system.

8.  Air recycling unit.

9.  Emergency oxygen supply.

10. On board GPS and medium communications capability (50 miles?).

11. Extendable PV boards that can recharge the vehicle battery.

12. Water supply on board.

13. Automatic departure notification - so when you leave your residence or designated car park, a notification is sent via radio to a central unit. Failure to return within one sol will notify authorities. Otherwise, occupants will have to respond to "RU OK"? messages.

Any other thoughts?

What about tyres for such a hefty vehicle operating such a demanding environment? I'm presuming Earth type auto tyres are not suitable for Mars.  Is there anything else that can provide some suspension and fill other needs?

Last edited by louis (2020-01-04 20:12:18)

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2020-01-04 21:10:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: MPT vehicle - Mars Personal Transport

It seems there are lots of attributes to be specified of which the tires will need to be metal to endure the beating that they will get as it rolls over the many sharp and boulder filled terrain. Also the option of tracks a can still be changed if tires do not work out for mass...Then there is the vehicle support frame design which needs to support all the functionality there in that you would like.
I would edit the initial post as you find numbers to put in...

#3 2020-01-05 08:01:40

louis

Yes maybe tracks with springs to provide some suspension and overall improved body suspension...or half track?

I would add..a deployable "cow catcher" style device (I'm thinking of a steel bar chevron with "teeth"  and mesh guard) on the front to push rocks and small boulders out of the way and maybe the equivalent of a parking assist laser device to identify larger boulders as they come up and avoid them.

SpaceNut wrote:

It seems there are lots of attributes to be specified of which the tires will need to be metal to endure the beating that they will get as it rolls over the many sharp and boulder filled terrain. Also the option of tracks a can still be changed if tires do not work out for mass...Then there is the vehicle support frame design which needs to support all the functionality there in that you would like.
I would edit the initial post as you find numbers to put in...

#5 2020-01-05 16:19:04

louis

Thanks SpaceNut, I may dip in!

Thinking about it, this vehicle has got to be a motorhome in effect - because it needs to incorporate toilet facilities.

Probably best to think of it as an "overnighter" vehicle.  You might use it for the equivalent of a weekend adventure.

#6 2020-08-08 07:39:01

SpaceNut
Administrator

bump

#7 2022-08-11 12:31:40

Mars_B4_Moon

A design with parts that could be used on Mars?

A quick guide to the new lunar landers and rovers

https://www.fastcompany.com/90770975/a- … and-rovers

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-08-11 12:31:53)

Board footer