New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2019-11-26 16:25:10

louis

Moving to Mars Exhibition in London

I visited the "Moving to Mars" exhibition at the Design Museum, London today mentioned by someone else here a while ago (was it TH? I forget)...

https://designmuseum.org/exhibitions/mo … _JEALw_wcB

To be honest it wasn't that well organised, inspiring or informative, I'm sorry to say, but might have served as an introduction to the subject of Mars for someone who knew little about the planet or its prospects as a new home for humanity.

There was one interesting aspect: a box of basalt beads for use with a 3D printer. I wasn't aware that basalt could be used in this way and may follow that up as it could be a very interesting material to work with, being so ubiquitous on Mars.

Last edited by louis (2019-11-26 16:31:46)

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2019-11-26 16:29:31

tahanson43206

Re: Moving to Mars Exhibition in London

For Louis re #1

Thank you for your follow up!  And thank you for your observation about the use of basalt as a component of a feed stock for 3D printing.

I asked Mr. Google "basalt fed to 3d printer" and got 500,000 results, the top page of which look quite interesting.

Most of the citations were recent, so I am guessing this new material may have come out of the research phase relatively recently.

(th)

#3 2019-11-26 16:32:54

louis

Thanks - yes I'll follow that up and see what basalt in that form can be used for.

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Louis re #1

Thank you for your follow up!  And thank you for your observation about the use of basalt as a component of a feed stock for 3D printing.

I asked Mr. Google "basalt fed to 3d printer" and got 500,000 results, the top page of which look quite interesting.

Most of the citations were recent, so I am guessing this new material may have come out of the research phase relatively recently.

(th)

#4 2019-11-29 05:01:26

louis

One method seems to be to mix basalt with PLA (bioplastic from corn starch) to create something akin to carbon fibre which can be used with 3D printers. The corn starch needs to be treated with SO2 among other things.  Sounds doable on Mars.

I think the "basalt beads" were really basalt-plastic beads.

louis wrote:

Thanks - yes I'll follow that up and see what basalt in that form can be used for.

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Louis re #1

(th)

Board footer