New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-05-26 19:04:30

Alexander Sheppard

Re: What is better... X2 or Reloaded? - Movies

I'm wondering what people thought of the movies Matrix Reloaded and also X2. I thought X2 was much better and most people do think it was at least somewhat better in the ratings. Reloaded was a big dissapointment. There was lots of crazy special effects but the plot sucked. The characters had no depth. X2 was better, it had a plot, and characters.

#2 2003-05-26 19:49:53

Palomar

*Hi.  Last week we were discussing The Matrix:  Reloaded in the "Favorite Sci-Fi Movie?" folder (also here in Free Chat).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2003-05-27 00:27:25

Josh Cryer

Apples and Oranges. There isn't a comparasion, in my humble opinion. They both entertained me.

Reloaded did probably have much more annoying language (ie, each conversation with the machines was rather redundant on one hand and vague on the other), and it flowed sort of weird towards the middle, but otherwise, I thought it was a good movie.

X2 was quite supurb, though, and if I were more of an X-Men follower, I might have considered it more to my liking.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#4 2003-05-27 11:14:14

clark

I still stand by my critique, the dialogue and ideas exceeded the characters and the situation within the Matrix Reloaded. While the actors seem to be constrained by the Wachasokies brothers attempt to 'other-fy' the hero's, I think the same repetitive style of action squences only serve to create a more absurd situation in which to contemplate the meaning of choice and free will. My god, the characters are trapped in a situation of personal survivial, and the survival of all humanity, yet they can take time out to consider issues of 'choice' and the master-slave dialetical? Please.

It suffers becuase it is filler between the first and third act of the entire story. It inherently an unsatisfying flick becuase it fells the Gods, set-ups disolution and defeat, and tries to prepare the audience for the revelations of the last bit of the story arc. So it tries to be the Kung-Fu action that intitates the very origins of this story, while also providing esoteric riddles that are the ultimate solution for resolution- yet the two do nto mix well with mono-syllabic and wooden actors.

I look into Neo's eyes and see what? Confusion? Dull incomprehension? Or spify sunglasses as he is attacked by umpteen thousands of Agent Smiths without ever asking "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!". No, he wonders wether or not he really wants a friggin piece of candy...

At least the W brothers put together a good rendition of a classicaly bad epic hero. Odyseus would be proud.

#5 2003-05-27 13:00:47

clark

Hopefully we can continue any discussion related to the Matrix in THIS thread, as opposed to needlessly marring others threads...  big_smile

Alexander Shepard wrote in another thread:

Freeing people from the Matrix, that's a metaphor for showing people the truth, a truth that the authorities don't want people knowing about.

So what does it mean to free people from the 'Matrix' if the truth you reveal to them is just as false as what is currently deceiving them? What of truth then?

Or, to make this a bit more accessible, how do you define the truth when you can no longer rely upon your own senses to determine what the truth is? How do you prove the existence of rainbows to a world without eyes?

Board footer