New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2019-10-24 15:11:54

louis

Tesla on the rise - good for Space X and the Starship

Tesla shocks Wall Street as it swings into profit. Share price rockets...

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/bus … 69606.html

Can only be good news for the Space X mission.

Last edited by louis (2019-10-24 15:15:41)

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2019-10-25 07:09:02

elderflower

Re: Tesla on the rise - good for Space X and the Starship

Some folks lost a lot of money betting against Musk.

#3 2019-10-25 08:02:11

louis

Musk is always on the money! lol

elderflower wrote:

Some folks lost a lot of money betting against Musk.

#4 2019-10-25 17:24:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

They may lose again when thinking that they are betting on a sure thing...

#5 2019-10-25 17:54:57

louis

I'd say Tesla is a sure thing in the same way that Rolls Royce was a sure thing  in the mid 20th century. They have bagged the position of "top of the range high quality electric vehicle". There may be competitors but Tesla have put their brand on the highest level of the podium in a way that is understood across the world, in the same way that Rolls Royce once was. It's going to be very difficult for others to dislodge them unless Tesla do something really stupid. But of course now they have the money, Tesla can attract the best engineers from all around the world...success is self-reinforcing.

SpaceNut wrote:

They may lose again when thinking that they are betting on a sure thing...

#6 2019-10-26 08:49:22

Oldfart1939

Tesla is in a unique position w/r to both Moon and Mars exploration; they have developed the battery lifetime technology allowing development of lunar and Mars rovers to be built from upgraded automotive components. This would/could emulate the General Motors lunar rover of Apollo days. Doing this privately and not involving NASA would allow faster development due to the sometimes idiotic delays caused by inane requirements. There is a real marketing advantage for so doing---think of how many "Moon Rovers" Tesla could sell here on Earth? Mars Rovers? Sell them for $250,000 apiece and they would sell like hotcakes--to lots of very wealthy but not flamboyant ranchers for use in rough terrain?

Only one reason I don't have a Tesla and that's due to my lifestyle. I make long driving trips across the American West, and there aren't enough charging stations out in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana "wide open spaces." That needs to change--otherwise Teslas will be strictly for city dwellers. This is a reason electric cars are still not selling well in western USA (outside California!).

#7 2019-10-26 08:54:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

There are some that are looking at for profit charging stations some are making there own power with solar and wind for the ability to make even more money for each charge and others are still plugging into the grid to have the customer have anytime charging. Sure you are going to pay more than if you were plugging into your own sources but when you are out of juice and can not get home you will be willing to pay just about anything.

#8 2019-10-26 09:17:32

Oldfart1939

My thoughts on the matter: If many of the truck stops would have Tesla charging stations where a customer could charge the vehicle while having a snack break, breakfast, lunch, or dinner--this would remove most of my objections to electric vehicles. Carrying an emergency solar panel which could be placed alongside vehicle in a manner similar to carrying along a spare can of gasoline. I don't know how long it takes to achieve a full charge from a charging station, but Tesla should definitely become involved as support for the brand.

#9 2019-10-26 09:24:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

We have a food store chain that has 2 store in the local city and they have a charging station only at one of them. But like you indicated giving more oportunity where one would get gas or food would help to make it a bit more popular to buy an EV with the next being a drop in cost of the vehicle as well as cost of replacement batteries..

#10 2019-10-26 10:13:42

GW Johnson
Website

Oldfart1939:

The Tesla could be used for long trips in the west US,  if you fit it with a trailer hitch.  For lack of a better term,  I call it the "staged hybrid". It's something I dreamed up when electric cars became a topic of conversation during the 1970's fuel shortages. 

For shorter trips within its battery range of home (where you can recharge it),  you need no trailer.  For longer trips,  pull a trailer with an engine-powered electric generator and a fuel tank (take your choice of gasoline or diesel:  diesel stores without degradation for far longer). 

Size the engine and generator power levels to barely exceed what you need for your favored cruise speed (meaning it can supply the cruise power plus trickle-charge the battery),  which for mid size cars  near current speed limits is going to fall the 40-45 HP range.  Size the fuel tank to cover the range you want.  Draw power for temporary faster speeds or climbing hills from the battery.  Recharge after the transient draw is over,  while still underway. 

That way you only need one electric car to do both jobs.  The trailer is very little more than a smaller boat trailer.  It holds the generator set and fuel tank.  Use it when you need it,  leave it parked when you don't.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2019-10-26 10:14:07)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#11 2019-10-26 10:30:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sounds like a good option for extra power. Ya just don't park for very long as the generate will be gone if its not nailed down.

#12 2019-10-26 10:55:31

GW Johnson
Website

So weld it to the trailer.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#13 2019-10-26 11:55:12

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson ...

I really like your suggestion for an auxiliary power trailer for electric vehicles.  It is ** much ** better than my idea, of towing a trailer filled with batteries.

There should be a market for a product along these lines.  My only concern is that (to the best of my knowledge at this moment) none of the electric vehicle manufacturers are offering towing capability. 

I can't imagine Musk agreeing to support the option as you described it, but perhaps other EV manufacturers would like the idea and develop matching towing capabilities.

(th)

GW Johnson wrote:

Oldfart1939:

The Tesla could be used for long trips in the west US,  if you fit it with a trailer hitch.  For lack of a better term,  I call it the "staged hybrid". It's something I dreamed up when electric cars became a topic of conversation during the 1970's fuel shortages. 

For shorter trips within its battery range of home (where you can recharge it),  you need no trailer.  For longer trips,  pull a trailer with an engine-powered electric generator and a fuel tank (take your choice of gasoline or diesel:  diesel stores without degradation for far longer). 

Size the engine and generator power levels to barely exceed what you need for your favored cruise speed (meaning it can supply the cruise power plus trickle-charge the battery),  which for mid size cars  near current speed limits is going to fall the 40-45 HP range.  Size the fuel tank to cover the range you want.  Draw power for temporary faster speeds or climbing hills from the battery.  Recharge after the transient draw is over,  while still underway. 

That way you only need one electric car to do both jobs.  The trailer is very little more than a smaller boat trailer.  It holds the generator set and fuel tank.  Use it when you need it,  leave it parked when you don't.

GW

#14 2019-10-26 12:42:31

louis

I think wireless charging on roads is really the way forward...

https://www.highwaysindustry.com/wirele … to-the-uk/

That would make "refuelling" less bothersome than with gas/petrol.

Combine it with self-driving capability on freeways/motorways and I think you have a 21st century solution for travelling long distances.

Oldfart1939 wrote:

Tesla is in a unique position w/r to both Moon and Mars exploration; they have developed the battery lifetime technology allowing development of lunar and Mars rovers to be built from upgraded automotive components. This would/could emulate the General Motors lunar rover of Apollo days. Doing this privately and not involving NASA would allow faster development due to the sometimes idiotic delays caused by inane requirements. There is a real marketing advantage for so doing---think of how many "Moon Rovers" Tesla could sell here on Earth? Mars Rovers? Sell them for $250,000 apiece and they would sell like hotcakes--to lots of very wealthy but not flamboyant ranchers for use in rough terrain?

Only one reason I don't have a Tesla and that's due to my lifestyle. I make long driving trips across the American West, and there aren't enough charging stations out in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana "wide open spaces." That needs to change--otherwise Teslas will be strictly for city dwellers. This is a reason electric cars are still not selling well in western USA (outside California!).

#15 2019-10-26 14:12:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

GW Johnson wrote:

So weld it to the trailer.

GW

tahanson43206 wrote:

For GW Johnson ...

I really like your suggestion for an auxiliary power trailer for electric vehicles.  It is ** much ** better than my idea, of towing a trailer filled with batteries.

There should be a market for a product along these lines.  My only concern is that (to the best of my knowledge at this moment) none of the electric vehicle manufacturers are offering towing capability. 

I can't imagine Musk agreeing to support the option as you described it, but perhaps other EV manufacturers would like the idea and develop matching towing capabilities.

(th)

Just thinking that the owner would want to use the trailer for other activity but thats about the honesty levels that have become the norm and that is the real issue.

The trailer could be something smaller for the generator to ride on with a cover so as to leave it attached. Most vehicles have adapter kits for creating a tow hook location even for vehicles that do not come with a standard version. Most attach to the more solid points of the frame and then to the bumper. A portable generator is not all that heavy so as to lesson the need to make it heavy duty for the trailer. Some come with wheel and the lighter mass carrier does not with the kit in a box for the average person to be able to add on the vehicle feature..

860_DOLLY_CARRIER_FOR_MOTORCYCLE_PULL_TRAILER_004.jpg

#16 2019-10-26 17:19:01

GW Johnson
Website

I have towed trailers grossing 3000 lb with a 36 HP 6-volt antique VW beetle.  It was an antique decades ago back when I did it. 

That requires a level of expertise not found among drivers today,  but it is possible.  There is NO reason an electric car cannot tow a trailer. 

In point of fact,  the very fastest vehicles ever seen in the quarter mile drag races were electric-only vehicles. Again,  there is NO reason an electric vehicle cannot tow a trailer. And a rather considerable trailer at that.  Which the generator/fuel tank trailer is NOT. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

Board footer