New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#126 2019-10-12 09:37:05

Oldfart1939

Re: Space X - getting ready for Mars.

As an addendum to my post this thread #132, I implied but did not directly mention the absolute lack of ground clearance in design #1. Design #2 seems to have been designed by someone with some actual off-road driving experience. The powertrain layout is reminiscent of a W.W. II Greyhound  M-8 Armored Car designed and built by Ford.

#127 2019-10-12 10:38:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Little tires suck in sand and on the moon the layer of dusts it would be worse. Large tires do not get stuck ad a track works even better for terrain that is rougher in the case for mars. Telsa has a car and not a peep for Elon for vehicles for Mars to go with the massive BFR /Starship build up of design which has little other supporting documents for a manefest or life support. It has no Insitu processing plant or anything for refueling in a detaied report video's do not cut it but some  one taking the time to transcribe them might aid in proving or disproving the numbers which are being used.

#128 2019-10-12 11:35:23

louis

Great overview video of Mars settlement project (with Space X to the lead) from "Martian Colonist" (Ryan MacDonald).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOsTuBDd9M

Some highlights: Steel 301 has great properties. Raptor engine production being raised to one per day. $2-3 billion development cost for Starship-SuperHeavy. Mk 1 20 Km flight in Nov-Dec. Orbital with Mk 4 or 5 in April 2020, with Flight with humans as early as Oct 2020. Ryan still not ruling out a 2024 human mission to Mars (launch in Sept 2024).

Only thing I disagree with Ryan is his claim that equator is best place for solar - don't think that true. I believe it's latitude 29 is best.

12:20 discussion of landing sites. 100 m thick layers of water ice with only one metre covering.

16:00 discussion of 3D printing of protective structures to cover pre-constructed habs.

18:50 Most interesting for me, as I hadn't heard about this before I think,  seems like the idea of a bio-regenerative hab is coming of age. China has made a lot of progress and the Lunar Palace 1 was a great success -with 4 people able to grow 80% of their food in 500 cubic metres, produce all their oxygen from within the hab and recycle all their water.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#129 2019-10-12 12:14:42

Oldfart1939

Louis-
Thanks for the Ryan McDonald video. Our Mars Society group in Boulder was allowed to preview several of these 3-D printed Mars habitat proposals, and the one illustrated received high marks from our University of Colorado sponsor, who was a Professor of Environmental Design (previously called architecture). In our meeting, we discussed such things as overall livability and traffic flow within the structure as opposed to ease of construction. Use of basalt also received high marks and the general radiation protection seems just barely adequate, but would work in cases other that a massive coronal outburst from the sun.
Rodger

#130 2019-10-12 12:19:17

Oldfart1939

SpaceNut wrote:

Little tires suck in sand and on the moon the layer of dusts it would be worse. Large tires do not get stuck ad a track works even better for terrain that is rougher in the case for mars. Telsa has a car and not a peep for Elon for vehicles for Mars to go with the massive BFR /Starship build up of design which has little other supporting documents for a manifest or life support. It has no Insitu processing plant or anything for refueling in a detaied report video's do not cut it but some  one taking the time to transcribe them might aid in proving or disproving the numbers which are being used.

SpaceNut- In the post presentation video done by Tim Dodd (I think?), Elon was questioned about transportation on Mars' surface, where he replied that a standard Tesla would probably work. It has the usable powertrain, but not the extra rugged design.

We all noted at our local Mars Society meeting that ALL of Elon's business ventures could interlock with functions on Mars: Solar Power; Boring Company; Tesla; and of course, SpaceX.

Last edited by Oldfart1939 (2019-10-12 12:19:50)

#131 2019-10-12 15:32:39

louis

It does seem like 3D construction is a feasible approach now. That the structures are pleasing on the eye is a plus!

I have always been a fan of use of basalt. It's very versatile. Aside from fibre glass, it could be used for kitchen utensils, furniture, plumbing, floor coverings and facing walls.

PS   I think Ryan is now based in the USA. Perhaps you should invite him along to one of your meetings...

Oldfart1939 wrote:

Louis-
Thanks for the Ryan McDonald video. Our Mars Society group in Boulder was allowed to preview several of these 3-D printed Mars habitat proposals, and the one illustrated received high marks from our University of Colorado sponsor, who was a Professor of Environmental Design (previously called architecture). In our meeting, we discussed such things as overall livability and traffic flow within the structure as opposed to ease of construction. Use of basalt also received high marks and the general radiation protection seems just barely adequate, but would work in cases other that a massive coronal outburst from the sun.
Rodger

Last edited by louis (2019-10-12 15:33:24)

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#132 2019-10-12 16:42:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

I would rather take an electric hybird SUV or crosstrek which have started to make there way into the general public in the last few years.

Printing a 3d structure has more to do with the preperation of the materials that will make it as much as the equipment to build it as both steps are energy hogs for early mars without a large power grid to draw from.

#133 2019-10-12 22:54:02

Oldfart1939

I think Musk could have a really good Tesla-systems based rover ready in 3 years. The Tesla has best range of all electrics with best capacity for load and passenger comfort.

Board footer