New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#101 2019-10-05 19:14:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Testing My Hacienda On Mars Society Devon Island

Energy from the sun
devon-island-1024x822.png

Devon Island is the largest uninhabited island on Earth. It is found at 75oN and has  surface characteristics that strongly resemble the surface of Mars. Being so far north, Devon Island has solar irradiance similar to the solar irradiation on the Martian Equator. Except for a brief period in June, the intensity of the Sun on Devon Island never exceeds the solar intensity on Mars.

Although the light intensity (near local noon only) on Devon Island is similar to that expected on the Martian Equator, the duration of daylight during this time is 24 hours per day because of its high latitude (above the Arctic Circle).

On Mars, near the equator, the duration of daylight is about 12 hours, followed by approximately 12 hours of darkness.

Mars, spring is 7 months, summer is 6 months, fall is 5.3 months and winter is a little over 4 months long..

https://www.slideshare.net/vijayraskar5 … alculation

Edit reference
https://www.ossila.com/pages/solar-cells-theory

The oscurity opaceness of the light and difussing of its energy can not be predicted for intensity level or for its duration hence why we need more than solar for mars.

#102 2019-10-06 07:04:37

tahanson43206

Re: Testing My Hacienda On Mars Society Devon Island

For SpaceNut re #101

Thanks for this overview of Devon Island, and for the link to the slideshare site, which I had not seen before.  It appears to have potential for further visits. 

The computation of light levels would appear (to me at least) to have direct application for lighting of interior spaces.

I'm still hoping someone will discover any available reports from the Russians on their development of subterranean living/working spaces in their far North.

(th)

Board footer