New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#176 2019-07-20 18:10:16

GW Johnson
Website

Re: Un- conventional ways to LEO

200 kg to LEO is within the capability of the final version of the old "Scout" satellite launcher of the 1960's through the 1980's.  It was a 4-stage solid that was utterly reliable and quite inexpensive for the times.  I got to work on it as a graduate student summer hire at LTV Aerospace in 1974.  They lost 1 in the 4-flight flight test program, then not another failure in over 3 decades' service launching satellites.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#177 2019-08-08 16:35:19

Terraformer
Website

Re: Un- conventional ways to LEO

How about an air-augmented rocket airship for the lower stage? Use the large frontal area as a funnel to collect the thin atmosphere, and use it as additional remass to achieve a far higher effect Isp than you'd otherwise have.

Lower down and subsonic, perhaps such funnels would allow very efficient propeller driven airships to be constructed.

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney

Board footer