New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#1 2017-01-04 14:10:48

Void

Psyche and Lucy Missions

http://www.space.com/35220-psyche-and-l … video.html

Lucy to Trojan asteroids of Jupiter.

Phyche to a metal asteroid.

It will be a while before they are launched, and arrive, but really some good missions I think.

Last edited by Void (2017-01-04 14:11:32)

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#2 2019-01-24 18:49:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Psyche and Lucy Missions

Lucy has 1000 days to launch day

lucy-jupiter-trojans-artwork-hg.jpg

Over its 4156 day mission, Lucy will study six of these fascinating worlds. Lucy's launch period opens on October 16, 2021 - 1000 days from today. The spacecraft body will be built in less than 400 days, and in less than 600 days all of the instruments and different components of the spacecraft will be built and the full spacecraft will be assembled. After rigorous testing at Lockheed Martin, in approximately 900 days the spacecraft will be sent to Kennedy Space Center for launch preparations.

Then begins the longest part of the spacecraft's journey. It will be 6 years, or almost 2300 days, before Lucy reaches its first target, the Main Belt asteroid Donaldjohanson, named for one of the co-discoverers of the Lucy fossil.

Then it will be over 3000 days before Lucy reaches its first Trojan asteroid, Eurybates. And Lucy will continue its tour of the Trojan Asteroids, encountering 3 more Trojans, before it flies by the final pair, Patroclus and Menoetius in 2033, over 5000 days from now.

#3 2019-06-21 11:28:22

Void

I was looking at Vesta, discovered that it has hydrated minerals.

However, it may be as well, that 16 Psyche, the ~90% metal asteroid could also have this.  The notion is that at some point, a sort of "Snow" of carbonaceous materials may have impacted these, some of the small objects being of a relatively slow impact and collection.

And I looked at this for Starship, sort of from Elon Musk.  I think until we might learn otherwise, I prefer 16 Psyche over Vesta.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starsh … stem-tour/

In this PDF, is speculation on, magnetic fields for 16 Psyche.
https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2018/pdf/1398.pdf

In exploring outward, I suppose it does not hurt to think on where the "Hot Spots" could be for a solar civilization.  This could also be a eventual point of convergence for the visions of some of the private space transport companies.  That could be good.

Of course to get things to Earth, I guess the Moon and NEO's are a first look.

And of course Mars/Phobos/Demos, are a great attraction.

In his book "The Case For Space", Dr. Robert Zubrin, indicates that a tether for Phobos could do some very interesting things, among them assist in connection with the main asteroid belt, which of course could be on the way to the outer planets.

It is debatable, as to if 16 Psyche, could be a source of mined materials for Earth.  It's relatively remote location being against it, and and also, the potential that the Moon and NEO's could be lower hanging fruit.

So, I will speculate on it's potential for humans in it's own Realm.

…..

I was looking at Vesta in preference to Ceres, because I wanted the best small almost whole world where you might extract needed materials, and have space towers, space elevators, ect.

16 Psyche looks better to me now.

The potential of a magnetic field seems quite interesting per radiation protection potential, and maybe power generation per the solar wind.

The Mond process should be very usable there, many places may not have much overburden, but it currently is thought that ~!0% of the materials are not metallic, and some contain hydrated minerals from slow small impactors, Carbon and Nitrogen might be available.  And I presume that small asteroids near by, or passing by, could supply what else is needed over time.

It could be a great place to pioneer, things like space towers, and space elevators.

I also think orbital habitats.

I also am thinking about a giant faraday cage.  The notion is to harvest electrical energy from the solar wind.  But we will want to know about the native magnetic field.

That world is not impossible for solar photon power either. 

So, potentially an energy hot spot in the asteroid belt, potentially with lots of Metals, and perhaps enough of what else is needed.

Perhaps eventually a giant faraday cage "Shell" around it, expandable in size I presume.  A cage to which could be anchored various things such as space towers to the surface, and space elevators inside and outside as well.  And I presume a whole lot of O'Neil type stuff.

Seems like worth looking at.

And there are chances that a probe will go to it, I think by 2026.  I could still have good chances of seeing that happen.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2019-06-21 11:49:55)

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#4 2019-06-21 16:20:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

#5 2020-02-28 18:14:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is the one

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Calliban ... the story at the link below seems right for the topic:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/28/space … -asteroid/

The asteroid is between Mars and Jupiter.

(th)

Board footer